Is there even any actual objections to macOS?

lets keep it specifically software related. I don't wanna hear how expensive Macs are or that they can't be repaired or that you can get better hardware specs

Im talking about SOFTWARE only. why in the fuck would I run linux or windows when I can run the OBJECTIVELY best desktop OS on the market?

Other urls found in this thread:

support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

It's easier for me to get Linux working on my hardware.

unix is better

Theres really nowhere to start here, I can't objectively say why OSX is better than linux or windows, I can't objectively say why linux is better than OSX or windows, and I can't objectively say why windows is better than OSX or linux. I can subjectively say that each one has it's own virtues and serves a purpose, however narrow or broad that may be.

Would you like to enlighten me on your

> OBJECTIVE

Reasons on why OSX is better than eother linux or windows?

Okay that's valuable feedback. Thanks.

In return I'd like to present the idea that it's easier for me to get Linux working on my hardware than it is to get macOS. I tried.

because it has all the power of linux and more while wider software support ala windows.

it is the best of both worlds and thus is objectively better than both.

>terrible file system
>poor support for 3rd party peripherals
>poor support for task-specific indie software
>lowered performance in benchmarks on same hardware compared to Windows and Linux
>can't be installed on arbitrary hardware without severe compromises

I dunno but I Move around between Windows/Linux/MacOS and I always come back to Mac because it does exactly what I need with the program's I need.

Linux is the better kernel.
Just ask yourself the question "would I be more inclined to use macOS if it used the Linux kernel" the answer is yes, even moreso if systemd, the superior init system
Desktop Environment? Sure, macOS is pretty good, maybe the best
File system? HFS is garbage, they would be a better system if they switched
Package management? Trash, Homebrew is pretty shit, Apple store is 100% shit
BSD vs GNU userland: meh, indifferent desu
In short, if you judge macOS purely on DE, sure
Otherwise, no it isn't the best

The file system is garbage

>Reasons on why OSX is better than linux?
Superior graphics system and gui toolkit

>Reasons on why OSX is better than windows?
Everything

> All the power of linux

Now that is objectively wrong.

Linux gives you a lot more control over the system, changing file systems, changing desktop environments, font handlers, package manager, the list goes on and on.

The linux kernel gives you far more control over your system than apple. would ever even consider offering.

Maybe everything on OSX is fine as is for you, and you will never need that control over your system. I, and many other people do need that control and for that reason, Linux is SUBJECTIVELY the best OS for my purposes.

owo

Botnet trash.

Walled garden.
Using ANY apple program automatically locks you into their shitty closed ecosystem. Escaping becomes a pain.
Ask anyone that had to migrate their iTunes library for example. You'd think iTunes uses an open file format for playlists like .m3u right? Wrong, it's an undocumented semi-binary MESS that changes slightly with each version of the program. If you don't want to export all your playlists one by one by hand then you're fucked unless you know enough about scripting to automate it. You're still going to spend some looong hours getting it to work properly anyway, and your hate for Apple will increase every single second of it.

This was more than 5 years ago so maybe they fixed their shit now but I doubt it.

botnet

I did tech support for OSX for a year and a half and I can with almost 100% certainty tell you that dipshit clicked without reading warnings for a system upgrade or reset.

Homosexuality

Lack of graphics card drivers, incomplete OpenGL support, lack of Vulkan support.

>it's ok to delete all of a user's files if they clicked through the EULA without reading

A mactoddler has just defended this to defend his fruity gay religion.

I've never owned a macbook or imac. I just did support for them, and they are genuinely pretty idiot proof.
It's no different than windows saying HEY YOUR SHITS GUNNA GET DELETED when you do a clean install.

>without asking my permission
It did ask for it in the iTunes terms of service though.

>doing a clean system install is equivalent to starting up itunes, a default program that comes preinstalled

Mactoddlerism.

BOTNET
O
T
N
E
T

Maybe he should've realised what service he signed up for. They very clearly marketed it as a cloud-based music service.

>this autist again

You're consistently wrong and dumb in every single thing you post. You never make any actual arguments or rebuttals, all you do is say 'mactoddler' as many times as you can and post one of around 20 saved images you have in hopes of getting somewhere, on top of that I'm convinced you're a literal pajeet, or a slightly advanced bot.

You're clearly a tech illiterate, poor fucking moron and I'm shocked you haven't been banned yet for literal shitposting. I already know what you're going to respond with, so don't even bother proving me correct.

It asks me to reboot to do any OS update, meanwhile Linux can hotswap the kernel.

>brings in android to macOS discussion

are poojeets this illiterate in bhagpalochod

A few more:
Finder's merge behaviour is inferior to both Windows and Gnome distros, it can't prompt for a choice for each individual conflict.
Closing a window and cmd+tabbing back to that app will open a new window, minimizing and alt+tabbing will keep it minimized. So minimized windows aren't considered active, but inexistent ones are.
Can't overlay a full-screen window with another window on the same desktop.
XCode and brew conflict all the time because of actually installing the binaries on the path, brew creates links that break and become invalid regularly, meanwhile Linux package managers work flawlessly. This is probably my biggest gripe.
Incomparably harder to rice than Linux.
Can't use spotlight in that gay screen that shows all the app icons, just an ultra-basic app name search.

Oh no, how inconvenient. A desktop OS requires reboots whereas a server OS maintains uptime. I am very surprised by this news.

You just proved me correct. Nice brain work Rakesh, thanks.

>Oh no, how inconvenient. A desktop OS requires reboots whereas a server OS maintains uptime. I am very surprised by this news.
Not an argument.

>>poor support for task-specific indie software

wat

>gets told
>zero counterpoints
>hurr durr server OS
I didn't know server OS's included Wayland.

CMD + `

Yeah no, I'm not going to try and force my grandmother to memorize keyboard shortcuts for operations that take ONE CLICK on any sane OS. MacshitOS is a fucking joke.

If a third window is behind two others how do you get to it in one click on Windows?

By clicking on it. Behind != entirely covered.

Bit confused here

If it's not entirely covered in macOS you can just click it too

But I'm using the keyboard... There's no way to switch between ANY 2 windows on macOS with shortcuts, just between apps and windows from an app.
Correct me if I'm wrong, because I'd love to be able to change it.

The same way you switch to it on any version of Windows or any version of Linux.

>no root access on your own computer
into the trash with macOS

What? MacOS sucks at a lot of things, but you can root. I mean you can sudo, I never actually tried su root, but I doubt you can't.

theres no use for root in macOS
only causes security concerns

dude wtf are you saying lmao. bind mission control to scroll click, OSX manages windows better than any other OS considering it literally defined the concept.

I can't begin to explain how much more comfier window management and multiple desktops on OSX was when I first switched to it. windows is just barely beginning to copy the same features with win10

support.apple.com/en-us/HT204899

>restricts the root user account and limits the actions that the root user can perform on protected parts of the Mac operating system.

So I guess I should say

>having castrated root access on your own machine
>being a eunuch and a cuck

>t. mactoddler

>toy OS can't do something
>suddenly that something is bad
Like clockwork.

You didn't answer my question, just gave a lot of opinions.
>it's so much better guise
If it's so much better, how do I swap between any 2 windows using one keyboard shortcut, regardless of whether they're the same app or not?

I did not know this.

Mactoddlers will NEVER know this feel of having a usable window manager.

You can just turn this off.

>BSD vs GNU userland: meh, indifferent desu

>task specific indie software
Minecraft

are you baiting?
what do you need to su for exactly?

>can't do something?
>y-you don't need that anyway
It's ok dude, your toy can't do one thing. Instead of pretending like it's irrelevant, just accept it. For example, the Linux sound stack gets very little development, there's no parametric EQ. I know this, and when someone complains I don't ask "but why would you want to EQ anyway".

But to answer your question, because sometimes I spend hours in root mode and don't feel like typing a 20-char password every 5 minutes.

>it's a fanboys create increasingly convoluted hypothetical situations in where not using their preferred OS will save them .3 seconds of time thread

Not an argument.

Astute observation.

Care to share the wallpaper please?

Because it's more closed down than even Windows 10.

There are no Apple users, only Apple useds.

is that shopped? what is the font rendering

the OS itself is great.

it's the build quality of their machines (has steadily sank since about 2008), foolish design decisions starting around the same point in history, the increasingly locked down nature of the hardware (soldered ram jesus fucking christ), the premium you pay, and the cult-like community surrounding the company.

i was an apple cultist for several years (own a macbook pro from '06, macbook from '08, newton messagepad 2000, powermac performa, and a near-mint condition mac se II), but I jumped ship completely with the soldered ram bullshit. now i stick with so-called "PCs" and simply use lignux.

I actually think the hardware/build quality is a better selling point than the OS. Linux is much better now than 5 years ago. If I had a MBP I'd install fedora on it.

F3 dumbass (expose keyboard key)

Bashing an OS you don't even know how to use.
How fucking stupid are these newfags on Sup Forums, lately?

Mongolic file explorer

Do you do OS updates every 4 days? What is your point? You're fine with using Linux just because updates which happen a few times a year, don't make you restart your computer? Are you both mentally retarded?

Any one of a thousand programs designed to do one thing that Windows and Linux users enjoy having access to. Where is the WinHIIP equivalent for MacOS?

The only ones who object are poor faggots who can't afford a Mac.

You get what you pay for. Have fun with your $300 piece of shit laptop, Linuxfags.

>doesn't sudo pacman -Syu every morning
>reboots ever

for arguments sake, provide me a reasonable scenario where you would need more system access than OS X provides.

I want to make a 30 second clip from highlights of a youtube video. What is the simplest way I can do this with macOS?

doesn't work, just tried it now.

F3 does not swap between windows of any app. Do you know what swap means?

>do you do OS updates every 4 days
Yes, but even if I didn't how is this an argument? Do you understand what objectively means? I'm not saying it's worse for my use case, I'm saying it's worse, and your attempt at minimizing the damage is irrelevant.
I'm sorry you have to reboot because iTunes had an update user.

This is the only correct answer - Apple is gay, are you gay- then go with it otherwise wtf man, accept your sexuality and fuck off.

it's the tilde key without shift, not the apostrophe/quote key

with upcoming 10.3 macos update filesystem will get automatically convert to new APFS filesystem. (I don't use a mac so i don't care)

>filesystem will get automatically convert to new
that would be really irresponsible of Apple
user data could be easily lost (specially apple users)

>poor support for 3rd party peripherals
what? i don't speak buzzwords

Is there any reason you are not using Linux as your OS?
lets keep it specifically system related. I don't wanna hear how 3rd party software isn't available or the alternative isn't as good as the dominant software.

Im talking about SYSTEM only. why in the fuck would I run OSX or windows when I can run the OBJECTIVELY best desktop OS on the market?

>1368x768
nice try you fucking hackintosh pleb

Yes, of course it is. However it lacks flexibility of Linux.

Have you changed yours? How, I want a rainbow apple.

You could do this
I prefer apple
>ANDROID IS BETTER
why, may I ask
> IT'S NOT APPLE
or
>IT'S ANDROID.

okay, whats better? having to press 2 buttons on the keyboard at the same time to manually scroll one by one over your windows to find desired one or pressing a single key on the keyboard seeing all active windows and clicking the one you want. again, after using control+tab on windows for years, expose is a dream come through.

it might not have that exact same thing but it has the same functionality in a much better way. same thing with time machine vs windows restore.

>having to use keyboard and then the trackpad is better than just the keyboard
Post your WPM, I need a laugh.
Btw, Gnome has exposed view as well, and alt+tab, the latter is much better for productivity. Exposed is only better of you're lost amongst 20 windows.

I can't think of anything negative to say about the operating system without memeing. But I will say that the added layers of user-friendly GUIs and animations (which are great by the way) just get in the way of academic computer science work. It's a lot harder to hack around the system. Still, having said that, it is a great system built on FreeBSD and I would always prefer macOS over Windows when there are no other options.