/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Thread for questions that shouldn't have their own thread because you're not worth a damn to anyone.

Other urls found in this thread:

logicalincrements.com/firefox/
pcpartpicker.com/list/JXbj7h
anker.com/products/A7514041
anker.com/products/A8303041
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU_switching
docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is something wrong with Sup Forums servers ?

I accidentally deleted a message thread on my iPhone but the thread still exists on my Mac, any way to export my iMessages from Mac back to my phone?

i noticed some weird shit with pictures, 404ing a lot, something with an is2. in the url

also
>ask your stupid why does my peepee hurt when I see a massive dong questions
>are you a virgin

Chinkmoot created a new image server. Again.
Every time this happens, image loading either breaks or is so slow the site is unusable.

The homepage is incredibly slow, as well.

Looking for laptop recommendations (in canada). Preferred specs:
>15" 1080p display with 97%+ sRGB
>8gb ram, upgradable, with extra ram slot
>at least 500gb HDD, with extra SSD slot
>i7-6700HQ or equivalent
>optional 960m gpu or equivalent

I'm not too concerned about battery life and weight. I need something that durable that will last for 4+ years with good cooling components. I'll primarily use the laptop for editing media files, virtualization/VMs, and app development on the side. My budget is

>tfw Java
What's the best framework for building restful web servers? Right now I'm thinking of using Dropwizard or possibly Spring. Does't have to be in Java. Java was not my first choice.

Is there any difference between WD external mybook and mypassport? I'll primarily use them for backup/archiving files and won't be using them that much. Also open to suggestions for external drive alternative with high lifespan.

Ah, that might explain why Cloudflare is telling me the Sup Forums homepage is offline, yet I can still post on all the boards and read new posts, etc.

Might also explain why the post submit button timer freezes, which makes me have to reload the page to submit a post.

What about:config settings do I need to change to de-botnet Firefox?

How many power on hours/power cycles should one expect on average from 2.5 inch mechanical hard drives in a professional setting?

I overclocked my cpu,and not my internet disconnect when playing game is this correlated or is my NIC being shit?

Installed a legal copy of Windows 7 using the OEM key. Should I activate updates?

Of course, goy

new gpu has coil whine. old gpu didn't.

my brother has a spare PSU sitting around, is it okay to plug the GPU into his PSU while leaving everything else plugged into my PSU?

Its not recommended. But it will work.

Best file explorer for android?
Preferably FOSS.

fucking hiro srsly

we need to take control over that chink

this is exactly why I need to be rich

something something u r gay macfaggot

Re installing windows, so have to ask, last time I was getting a torrent program, utorrent was the shit to get, but apparently they put a miner in the torrent program and subsequent releases have been lackluster at best or out right untrustworthy at worst, with that said what is the torrent program for windows, qtorrent or is it something else?

I just reinstalled a (pirated) copy of Illustrator 2017 and i'm still suffering from the same issue. Whenever the control panel is docked, its always obscured by this bar regardless of whether its docked at top or at bottom. The only way around it is to have the control panel float freely, but it can get in the way of what I am working on.

My only guess is it has something to do with windows 10's DPI as I've had numerous resolution issues with other programs so far.

Amaze. Buggy sometimes, though. Has all important options including root.
Build in. Works perfectly for basic actions, depends of the ROM.
Terminal emulator. Will always work.

Best way to browse files in GNU/Linux.
Just took i3 meme. Looks nice. Currently using Dolphin on Plasma.

Should I stick to mouse clicking in GUI?
Or maybe "cd ls cd ls cd ls" in terminal?
How most of you manage?

What editor does Sup Forums use? I can't live without proper code completion. C::B or KDevelop are must. I cannot use even Atom or KWrite.
Yet everyone else are using Vim or Emacs without syntax checking and filename/classname completion.
How is it even possible? Don't you get syntax errors every second line after writing in such basic editors?

DeadDBeeF keeps forgetting my hotkeys. When I check the preferences they're still what I set, they just don't work.
Hitting apply solves the issue, but it never solves the issue. After awhile the keys stop working again, until I hit apply.

Hi, I'm studying for a biochemistry bachelor's degree, and I'd like to change into either software engineering or computer science, because I originally thought that I could contribute to the development of regenerative therapy with a biochemistry degree, but the more I've read into its current development, the more I feel like bioinformatics, which my school doesn't offer, will be the biggest helping hand.

From my understanding, it's much simpler to get into bioinformatics industry or graduate studies with a bachelor of computer science or a bachelor of engineering software specialization ( it may only be a Canadian thing, but software engineering is officially an engineering discipline), as opposed to a bachelor of science, be it biology and variant, or biochemistry.

Therefore, I'd like to know, what are some good ways or resources that I can use to evaluate my potential aptitude in CS or Software Engie? I have never coded before and I don't have any prior knowledge in those fields. And, which of the two would you believe to be more handy when it comes to bioinformatics?

Thanks in advance.

Is there even any real reason for him to keep making new image severs? I swear we're gonna have is159 in five years if he keeps this up.

What are some potential reasons for a decent computer running games crappily? I have an r9 280x and an fx 8350 (I know amd lel) but that set up should still be running crappy pixel indie games perfectly.

For instance, enter the gungeon every so often when a boss fires all his projectiles the game will pause for a fraction of a second, almost like lag. In doom (oldschool doom) I get frame drops in intense mods and maps (which yeah there's alot on the screen, but it's doom, other peoples computers with less powerful GPU's run it at a higher frame rate than my computer.

Listen, i'm tech retarded I get it this annoying and you probably get it all the time but any help at all would be appreciated. At this point i'm pretty pissed.

check task manager for things eating cpu/ram

44% RAM use right now browsing Sup Forums and DS4windows running in the background, does that sound like a memory leak?

Also, some user told me to focus on SQL and R as programming languages if I decide to pursuit bioinformatics. He also said it's just elaborate data warehousing. I don't mean to offend, but I know almost nothing about these subjects. How valid is his claim?

Right click > send to > ctrl alt del

yeah nothing out of the ordinary, RAM is good, cpu usage is good.

I have access to an xfinity account and started using Apple TV on my iPhone, was looking into a way to stream this to my Computer+TV setup.

Havent found any good methods that stream at a tv/movie watching quality so I was thinking of getting a used Apple TV thing off ebay

Anyone have one and can vouch for it? Curious if I can use it using my mobile LTE data and not wifi

Will my old Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo work with current gen CPUs like the i5 7600K?

I bought the cooler in 2014 and I currently use it on my i5 4690K.

So I switched back to Debian Jessie minimal after using Arch for some years, why does Debian install so many packages? Like, with Arch I had around 800 packages and I was set, I haven't finished installing the software I had on my Arch setup and Debian already has 1320 packages.... Wtf

logicalincrements.com/firefox/

fucking WOW this has been bugging me for months and all i had to was just undock everything and but it back.

is this a good budget build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/JXbj7h

budget for what?
gaymin?
facebook machine?
streamer?

max/ultra settings, non-competitive gaming and multimedia; 1080p; non-oc.

I've tried everything but I can't get my external drive with Ubuntu (testbox don't judge) to boot on my UEFI computer. Help?

don't need more storage and going to add another 8gb ram in the future

Throw in another stick of 8gb.There is no real reason to not have 16gb now, and with gaming and media playback the extra disk buffer will make things smoother.
Do you already have a big platter to load all your games/media on too? If not grab a 2/3/4/tb drive based on your needs

What is this "Album" thing that windows is doing for me after the update and why did it choose a picture of Zuckerberg?

Have I finally been consumed by the botnet?

What folder even was this?

I want to get a combined USB-A + Ethernet dongle for my laptop, and I was wondering if there was any practical difference between the USB-A plug version
anker.com/products/A7514041
and the USB-C plug version.
anker.com/products/A8303041

It's my understanding that the hub must only rely on the power supplied by the one original port it is plugged into. So does that mean the USB-C version, because it is a more advanced port (and I think supplies more power?), would supply more devices with power? I want to plug in a microphone and an amp/dac, and need to make sure both are supplied with enough current.

If they are the same I'd rather just get the USB-A version to keep the one USB-C port on my XPS 15 open for maybe something like a monitor.

Thanks

I don't know if I should ask about this at /wsr/, but I wanna expand my knowledge on PCs so I can get a part-time job as an IT or computer repairman, something of the like.
Where can I learn more? I know a little bit more than the average person, but not much beyond that.
Any books/wikis/etc. you can recommend?

just browse Sup Forums for a while

How do I enable the console for an Unreal Engine 4 game that doesn't allow it by default? I want to turn off depth of field and I can't do that alone with the config file or in game settings.

I'm new in US and I'm trying to optimize my mail algorithm. Does US ever block a website or a webservice?

In essence, what I'm trying to ask is, is using Yandex reliable in US? I'd like to use it to distribute risk.

A or C should only matter if you're talking about the shape of the port

the laptop bus spec is what determines the data and charge rates

Start with Python or Html/CSS first

#!/bin/sh
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: tightvncserver
# Required-Start:
# Required-Stop:
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Default-Stop: 0 1 6
# Short-Description: start vnc server
# Description:
### END INIT INFO

case “$1” in
start)
su pi -c ‘vncserver :1 -geometry 1600×900 -depth 16 -pixelformat rgb565:’
echo “VNC Started”
;;
stop)
pkill Xtightvnc
echo “VNC Terminated”
;;
*)
echo “Usage: /etc/init.d/tightvnc {start|stop}”
exit 1
;;
esac

this yields error:
/etc/init.d/tightvnc: 22: /etc/init.d/tightvnc: stop}”: not found

this is the second script in a row that ive copy pasted from a guide that gave this error. help?

let me clarify. when running the commands:

sudo /etc/init.d/tightvnc start

sudo /etc/init.d/tightvnc stop

which line is line 22

I know the C port is Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Gen 2, and the usb A ports are 3.0, does that give any more information?
I'm having trouble finding more information on the specifics.

looks like at the bottom of the anker page (first one, couldn't open the 2nd one) it tells you what the hub is capable of

Ah ok, so with 900mA max, I just need to find out what im going to plug into it will draw i guess?
Thanks

Does GPU loopback mode work on internal GPU graphics in win10?

For example, One monitor is connected to on board graphics (intel) an the other monitor connected directly to PCI-e 16x slot graphics c ard (nVidia).

It seems like, when I play 4k content on YT for example, that the 1060 is doing the heavy lifting regardless of which monitor I have it on.

I ask because I thought I could watch vids/espn/etc on one monitor and do gaymen on the other and use both GPU's instead of one.

i think it's a feature of your motherboard.
check for those fancy sounding video features

echo “Usage: /etc/init.d/tightvnc {start|stop}”

is line 22.

I sort of figured it out... apparently the copy and pasted quote symbols ( " ) don't copy right? its retarded. but now im instantly facing a new one where this script is giving me:
vncserver: geometry 1600×900 is invalid

z170 boards support this?

yeah im just confirming that i got it to work, copying and posting scripts doesnt copy the characters over right or something i dont fuckin get why, but i fixed my shit.

word to the wise: retype ur quotes apparently

Thanks

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPU_switching

What's the fastest way to rip .mp3s off youtube in Android? Besides using those dedicated converter sites.
My usual script doesn't work in Firefox mobile.

So I'm on a Mac right now, I needed to get FL studio, it's the only DAW I know how to use (so sue me). I want to move my old files from my windows computer and I found out that they ARE the same on here. However, when I got FL, I installed 11? I wanted to get 12 cause I was told that 12 was built specifically for Mac.

I wanted to transfer my files over to my mac folders, they are designed to look like I guess windows 98? So when I tried, it wouldn't transfer over like they are embeded in the program and no like some local file system. Is it possible to move them to it to work? I really want my files on here if possible.

>Why are you on a mac if you're trying to get this to work?

My windows PC's mother board dieded on me. RIP

Is Pascal a decent language to start with?

Thanks.

Can I safely live on dry cat food and water for the next week and a half until I get paid? Money's tight at the moment. I also have a decent supply of One a Day vitamins to supplement.

Are IDE's reliable for testing things out or should I compile instead?
If I do compile does it effect other things if intentionally programmed to do so?

>vitamins
No.

I mean, food is food, but isn't that more expensive per pound than ramen?

>Stupid Questions Thread
Alright, can I just backup my Linux installation with a cp /* command to an external hard drive. Then wipe my drive, remake partitions and cp it back on?
I left 40 GB of extra space so I can install Mac OS X after I finish Linux but Apple is so fucking retarded they don't let me create a new partition out of the free space and format it to Mac OS X Journaled. I just was only Linux now.

rice and beans

Even just water fasting for that long probably wouldn't have any serious health consequences, provided you're already relatively healthy. I'd say it's probably okay.

just resize the partitions and filesystem guy

What is this downloading ram joke? Do people actually try this?

Why not dd? It's meant to be used for these. And after it just modify the partition table and extend pieces you want.

Where are some good resources to self-learn a bit of programming to see if you'll like it in university?

Back in the day "optimizers" that would claim to increase your CPU speed or RAM with some magic algorithm were ridiculously common. I'm sure some people believed the bullshit.

Forgot to mention, it is encrypted. Is it still that easy?

So newcomers fell for Trojan memes.

Just pick a language and check out the official docs and tutorials for it. docs.python.org/3/tutorial/index.html for example if you want to try Python. Java also has pretty good tutorials on their official site and often is recommended for beginners.

>Forgot to mention, it is encrypted. Is it still that easy?
I never said it was going to be easy, guy!
just make sure you do it in the order of layers (i.e partition, then encryption, then filesystem)

As long as you can properly mount it while backing up and restoring I don't think it will be an issue.

how powerful is a cherry trail atom? I currently run an sandybridge i5 m
what's a way to get an idea?

Alright, thanks mate. I can do that even if I don't know anything about programming right?

Depends on how quick you are at picking up this kind of stuff. I would say the Java tutorial is a bit more geared towards someone with no programming experience than the Python one is though, after taking a very brief glance at both.

Okay, I'll start with Java. Is it easier to pick up another programming language after you've learned one extensively? Thank you for your patience with my noob questions.

For a gui fine manager, I like Thunar. Note: doesn't have icons by default if you're doing something like an arch install or a server Ubuntu/Debian install, so I usually use lxappearance to get those. Sounds like you're coming from KDE though so you might have icons out of the box.

Other people like pcmanfm instead. Matter of taste. Try both.

As for terminal file managers I thought they were a huge meme for a long time but I've started to seriously use ranger much more than thunar the past few months. Ranger is great for exploration and discovery in a file system because vim navigation and no need to ls after every movement, but I haven't really learned enough of its more interesting abilities yet. I can change file permissions from it, I can use the built in "go to ~, /etc, and /" shortcuts, I can hide and display hidden files - but for anything more complicated, I hit S to drop to a shell in that folder, do my business, and type exit to quit back into ranger.

Also you can click in it. Also you can set it up to preview images and things.

where can i buy a comcast friendly modem that isnt a colossal piece of shit?

What distro does Sup Forums recommend for a home server? I'm looking to have a seed box, ftp and maybe a game server or two

Any of them

anything that can run
>seed box
transmission
>ftp
vsftpd
>game server
lol i dunno

debian

How do I change the name/title of a new modeless form when I open it with a click event in VB?

The last few times I've tried turning on my computer, I see this glitchy pixelated mess after the Windows logo pops up, and after a little while my monitor just turns off.

What's your diagnosis, Sup Forums?