I give up, I hate KDE

I'm at the point today where I will stop giving this KDE autistic child a chance and dump DE for good. I have been trying really hard to cope with KDE as my main DE in last 5 years and put up with lots of bullsh*t like akonadi, crashes, etc.

I can literally browse KDE bugs for 2 hours and find at least 50+ bugs that I expierience on daily basis and yet these bugs sit the bugzilla queue as UNCONFIRMED and fixing them would result in boost in UI usability and stability. No dev cares. Such sad state of KDE, it has always been just a big experiment project since 3.x. Qt 5.8 is bugged, no good wayland support in sight. KDE has no future beside being just a project worked among handful german developers and ties to Suse.

Browse kde.bugs.org, hundreds and hundreds of bugs.

Bye cute dragon mascot.

Other urls found in this thread:

bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11808
blog.xfce.org/
bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=333436
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Why can't there be a DE that fucking works.
Even xfce has problems.

macOS doesn't have these problems

Just use CDE. It has the most aesthetics.

have you tried MATE?

Is MATE actually any good versus Xfce?

Not a single element of that screenshot looks good

I'm a lurker whos only used linux for a couple of months but it seems to me that a window manager is all you need if you use your computer strictly for working and dont care about posting pics of your riced desktop. A good one I keep seeing mentioned is i3

Does the screenshot not look good, or do your eyes not look goodly?

i like it, i tried xfce and it felt pretty similar, i think MATE uses a little more ram, but it's comfy for me, just make sure you grab matetweaks if you try it, there's a bit of screen tear, but i notice that with other DE's as well, and i use Nvidia.
anyway, it's nicely customizable and gives me no woes thus far.

This. I hate DEs now, after using i3 for about one month. Once you have it set up and added some personal keybindings it's really comfy.

KDE is my favorite DE. I like how everything feels connected together and the default programs (Dolphin, Konsole, Kalculator, Kmail, etc.) Are much better, in my opinion, than GNOME's.

It also is QT, which means no Red Hat fuckery.

I hope you can find a better DE, user. What are you looking for? I would suggest XFCE, LXDE or Mate. GNOME 3 is a nightmare usability-wise and I haven't really tried Budgie.

I have a friend on Mint. He says Cinnamon is like KDE, but more user-friendly.

Quite the opposite, actually. All the ricetards use a WM and anime wallpapers; people that do actually work use DEs.

>saving an image of a black person to your hard drive

> Wayland
I think I found your actual problem.

>black
>person

Gnome Shell with Dash to Panel extension

>Gnome Shell
Trash.

Features bring bugs.
You don't see people complaining about too many bugs and crashes on gnome because it looks like something out of the 90s.

I'm suprised more people on Sup Forums aren't into Cinnamon, it's like a "just werks" version of KDE that isn't as bloated and doesn't come with all those extremely shitty KDE software packages.

Can it put the taskbar to the side already?

If you use a dock instead of the default panel. But most people who want that would already be using Gnome/Unity, which is why implied Cinnamon is a good replacement for KDE (why else would someone be using KDE unless they wanted the Windows-esque layout).

>he thinks I use a hard drive and not an ssd

>Let's pretend that DEs can suddenly change the source of an application so that gtk header bar is used or not
Idiot

>not saving media to a HDD, using SSD for OS and programs
Sure need those SSD read/write speeds to access a 141kb image

>let's make things different and hope devs change the source of their applications so they actually use our shit
Idiot

I left KDE because of bugs too, around a year ago. I remember that back then the OpenSuse with KDE was far less buggy than Kubuntu, so some bugs could be distro specific.

I am currently using Gnome, I assure you, you won't ever have to mess with akonadi, baloo or whatever the crap the indexer is called that consumes all your ram untill it crashes.

Gnome 3 is good as long as you install the tweak tool and enable back the minimize and maximize buttons. It feels snappier than KDE, but if you want an even lighter experience you could go with Mate too (as mentioned by other anons). It's basically the good old Gnome 2 with bug fixes, few tweaks and renamed apps.

I want to fuck the dragon

It doesn't even look like a dragon and it has no wings. But it is cute.

OP here

I cannot multi quote saw I will just answer.

I can't stand Cinammon, I don't like its start menu and last time I tried it it was resource heavy and there was noticable delay in things like opening start menu.

I never liked GNOME really but they and RedHat are doing really good work. Stability is superb and Wayland is a first class citizen. The UI is not as good, I don't understand why they haven't got over the tablet like UI look and huge icons etc when tehre's no table that ships with GNOME, so far Budgie has been the best GNOME3 fork I tried. I might try Solus.

XFCE has been my defacto DE on other systems. I have at some point contributed simple patch to xfce terminal and put a $50 bounty to lure devs to fix a bug in xfwm4 in multi-monitor setups...which after 8 months got finally fixed! But a bug like this bugzilla.xfce.org/show_bug.cgi?id=11808 really make you loose faith in the project, when such a common bug/nuisance is ignorantly overlooked by the dev.

I have 1 other rig on Unity 7 and I like it a lot, Compiz has been my fav compositor since 2008 and Canonical has really put in life into the project. Unity 7 DE is very productive environment. However currently I have a bug where Compiz's mem usage increases by 200% after waking up from suspend.

I will probably land on Sway (Wayland port of i3 WM) at the end of the day. I'm still on Athlon64 :p

What kind of monstrous motherboard has two SATA ports? And don't give me that external shit.

You didn't say anything about CDE :(

GNOME shill, plz go.

>show 4 staggered windows, pretending it's one thick window border
What's the point of this image exactly?

Ubuntu doesn't have that problem. Check your facts before showing your retardiation.

Are you literally retarded?

Kek

I use Plasma. It has lots of bugs.
But I can't live without customisable toolbar and ability to delete file in one click. Also build in terminal in Dolphin is perfect for small file manipulations without opening another window.

I used XFCE long time and I can't go back to Thunar after this.

Cinnamon is lighter weight than GNOME and KDE. Maybe you used it a long time ago before it was more polished?
Granted, Cinnamon is still buggy, it doesn't crash as much as KDE in my experience, but is not stable. I'm willing to overlook it with how much I enjoy the user experience though

KDE devs admit that akondai is shit, there already is a project in place to replace akondai and Kmail hence there are not many people fixing anything in the old projects.

Also on arch KDE apparently KDE had a lot of issues because the package maintainers mixed up plasma4 and plasma5 packages and since these were made for different frameworks obviously they don't work that well together. It's been a while since the switch to plasma5 so maybe it's fixed by now, idk. I stopped using arch a long time ago.

>no dev cares
Did you even talk to a single dev before making that assumption?

yes you can, vertical panels since 3.2

>KDE devs admit that akondai is shit
luckily it's not part of the base, and if you did install it you can remove it, but that baloo/akonadia/nepomuk is absolutely shameful

Does this Qt have lewds?

Use shortcut for resizing.

>Even xfce has problems.
Apart from screen tearing which can be easily solved with compton, what problems?

For one I know there's has been nagging bug in Thunar that has been neglected for couple years now if not more?

Good news is that Thunar bug (crash with copy, rename, move and drag-and-drop) is fixed and there are lots of goodies coming in XFCE 4.14, including reworked compositor in xfwm4 with proper vsync support blog.xfce.org/

Mostly if not everything at this point has been ported to GTK3? Once xfwm4 gets ported too it will pave the way for full Wayland support.

Every DE has problems except cinnamon. Not a fan but it's rock solid

Firefox is not a GNOME program.
Mate-terminal isn't a GNOME program.
The top one and bottom one (Files) are GNOME programs and they both adhere to the same guidelines.

>Once xfwm4 gets ported too it will pave the way for full Wayland support.
The window manager has nothing to do with GTK3 and there's no porting of it to GTK3. Getting Wayland support means creating a Wayland compositor from scratch for Xfce.

>uses gtk for their programs
>adds custom style classes which doesn't work with the default theme the toolkit provides

I mean the renaming issue with Nemo. Terrible.

Have you tried KDE Neon & OpenSUSE? Both work brilliantly for me. Shame you're having so many problems, sounds like the trouble I had with Windows to be honest.

Using a different distribution won't have any effect at all when it's the same software version. I seriously doubt a distribution would have patches for all the bugs and withhold them from upstream.

Even SUSE doesnt care about KDE. They wont even allow such unaudited, buggy software into SLES/D. SLES/D is enterprise level (Gnome), not Fischer-Price level (KDE).

You might confuse SLES for openSUSE. The latter have a policy of inclusion, anything goes, even KDE. No desktop on openSUSE have a majority, but at least KDE is declining on openSUSE as well

Good luck to KDE and the official optical disc burner software. Next version will include floppy disc support.

Right now the mainstream linux community is shilling hard for Gnome Uber Alles. If you like DE, soon there won't be anything but systemd-Gnome.

Now, if you don't care about DE, welcome to the land of the free, the land of the brave.

>I have been trying really hard to cope with KDE as my main DE in last 5 years

You must be insane. Just install xfce and be good.

Fuck gnome 3. I tried to get used to it on multiple workstations and it still feels counterproductive.

Plasma works and if you don't use bleeding edge packages you won't see any issues.

I like how you didn't point out any specific bugs. I've been using KDE as my daily driver for a while and it's fine. No notable bugs, and I'm noticeably more productive with it than I was with GNOME or Cinnamon. Programs like Dolphin and Okular are literally best-in-class.

>Browse kde.bugs.org, hundreds and hundreds of bugs.
That's just stupid. Every open source project that's as large as KDE has hundreds of items in its bug tracker. The ones that stay open are generally highly specific to a particular use-case or setup, minutiae (like visual inconsistencies or missing icons,) or for new features that aren't generally used yet (like Wayland support.) Pointing out the number of bugs is meaningless and indistinguishable from FUD. Surely you could single out one or two of the "50+" bugs you found and explain it to us.

Thats odd, everyone keeps on telling me how bad the tearing is everywhere and i've never really experienced any besides firefox (where had to turn on the hwaccell manually to fix).

I'd really want to like KDE (especially the new plasma 5), but it just cant keep it steady. The only place i've had any success is on fedora where it just works, but everything proprietary is a pain.

But in unity they ALL look the same and very consistent though, whether or not they are GNOME programms.

This looks like fucking shit.

I forgot things this ugly existed

Just use i3.

I've had visual glitches and strange behavior in MATE taskbar, it's not so immune either. Not to the scale I've also experienced with KDE.

kioclient enumerates files/folders incorrectly resulting in incomplete copies and move operations: bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=333436

TL;DR: Dolphin eats and deletes your files.

I did for a while and I loved it but fucked my Debian install and didn't have my confs backed up. Plasma is currently serving me nicely but I'll get i3 or Awesome as a backup.

>le compton meme

kys and enjoy your screen tearing