/pcbg/

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress and single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to Ryzen 7
>No R5 1400 unless discounted
>i7-6700k is good but pricey. If over budget: consider locked 7700; not chasing 4.8Ghz+ capable when you weren't gonna overclock, or get R5
>Cheap Z270 board is still good for faster memory in games w/ locked 7700, but aren't for overclocking (VRMs suck)
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX470-RX580, 1070, 1080, 1080TI
>1060 is worth considering over a 580 if same/cheaper in your country, and/or you just play games it's better on for the price. 1050Ti is for mITX builds
>RX470/570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz.
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX470, unless price/performance is better (discounted/used)
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk

As of April 20th, 2017 this is the concesus of best custom build
pcpartpicker.com/list/WVc2nn

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/pk4DNN
pcpartpicker.com/list/DBrHD8
gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list
pcpartpicker.com/list/CRsJHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/gCbj7h
pcpartpicker.com/list/gqNNFd
pcpartpicker.com/list/6Wm8wV
pcpartpicker.com/list/BNXsCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/nB7hJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/bftJHN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

help me lower the cost Sup Forums
upgrading from existing (dying) server/main pc
have several sata drives, multiple usb devices that need power, and lots of compiling
no gaming/video editing/music or such other high load/high graphics, but i do enjoy 1080p x264/5
mainly I want to replace the long lasting gigabit ga-p45/intel q6600 combo i've had for 7+ years (which is starting to go)
my current case also needs replacing or i'd keep it
psu i currently have is 500watt modular, dont think that's enough to power everything anymore

i'm looking for longevity/performance over latest/greatest

My core2duo shitbox just died. HDD started making the wonderful clicks of death and no longer boots.
Threw it out into my driveway from my second story window.

So.
I need a new machine on a 70$ budget.
Thinking core2quad, cheapest mobo I can find and any psu. I have a bunch of ddr2 lying around and ill build it in a box.
Any suggestions on a mobo?
Probably gonna need a cooler too.
This is gonna be over 70$ I think

switching to the g4560 lowers the price to 378$, any other changes? i still would prefer quad core but i can live with this
how upgradeable would this combo be (in terms of years of upgrades)?

>hard drive dies
>throws out the entire pc

pcpartpicker.com/list/pk4DNN
Thoughts? Programming and some gaming at 1440p.
I'd wait for Vega if there's a chance a low tier one is $350

Whoakes the best B350?

the boot drive of my first rig clicked from the very first day I turned it on and and worked until I broke the rig down for parts. It was slow as a motherfucker, but still.

How drunk are you?

Auto correct always fucksup me up user. Now who make the best B350 motherboard?

Zero. 1151 is already end of life, just like every other Intel socket after it has been around for more than 3 months.

g4560 or r5 1400 and cheaper board.
Get a cheaper mATX case and board, too.
Are these Canada prices? Why is the PSU so expensive? Why the fuck 650W?

Do it.

Canada is like at least 30% more than those prices.

Looks like a fairly ideal build. Though you could wait and see if the GPUs drop in price.
And 450-550W would be fine. $60 is a bit much for a M12II which often goes on sale for $40.

What does
>best
mean?

Yeah which leaves me more confused. Looks too expensive for US but too cheap for Canada. I guess it's just shitty component choices.

i said i have plenty of sata drives i need to power, which is why i need full case/atx/good wattage

There's a 20$ rebate on the M12II right now so it's basically 40$

pcpartpicker.com/list/DBrHD8
Used for 3D rendering and video editing and some gaymen. How is this?

Do you already have a gpu lying around?

>I'd wait for Vega if there's a chance a low tier one is $350
I think the only chance that the cut-down Vega is $350 is if AMD also drops the MSRP of 8GB RX580s to $200.
The cut down Vega is going to be twice as powerful as that so it'd make no sense for it to only be 40% more money.

Granted, that could happen with the Pascal refresh coming.. so okay, maybe it will be $350, but I'm guessing $400-$450 right now for the cut down one.

>There's a 20$ rebate on the M12II right now so it's basically 40$
good choice then, but you need to mark that price in there so it's not confusing.

huh? Are there really no mATX with 6 full SATA support...? There should be.

Looks roughly ideal.

yep

>Are there really no mATX with 6 full SATA support...? There should be.
Gigabyte GA-AB350M-Gaming 3
why mATX tho? always thought full atx was better

I mean best for overclocking

For anyone with a Define Mini C case, how long of a PSU is comfortable enough if I want to move the hard drive cages on the bottom over enough to fit a fan on the bottom front area next to the cages? Can't find anything on google other than the 175mm recommendation, but that doesn't indicate whether the drive cages are moved at all.

Been playing with my fan's speed curve to find a balance of not melting my GPU and not sounding like a fucking jet engine. On a 1060 without my fan annoying me at worst I seem to run at 75c, is this okay? To me it seems a little high but not -too- high

I found that list of Freesync monitors since AMD's list is fucking ass.

gpunerd.com/guides/freesync-monitor-list

Any one with decent VRMs and heatsink for them will be sufficient for at least a 1.4v overclock.

"better" now? ATX is just big. It has some more PCI slots which you won't use, that's it.

Should I go with ryzen for gaming at 1080p or is a g4560 enough?

75c under a high load even by the standards of game I play, not idle**

pcpartpicker.com/list/CRsJHN

Best I could do. The PSU should be fine unless your GPU + drives somehow manage to suck up more than 300W.

Is an RX 580 a sizable upgrade to an R9 290?

australia is fucking retarded

what would you save on with this setup
pcpartpicker.com/list/gCbj7h
the case/psu you listed were weak compared to what i have now
is it a huge difference between the 1400 vs 1500?
i'd prefer gigabyte over asus any day tbqh
and i'd like to jump to 16gb from the existing 8 i have
i cant see how much more i can save on this though

Is this any good?

will mATX look bizarre in a Phanteks P400? I don't need any of the functioning of the AM4 ATX boards I can't get from the (cheaper) mATX options.

seconding this question. looks a lot less gaudy than some of the other gaymen boards i see.

Not really, unless you can't live without PLP eyefinity.

what is a good ryzen motherboard under $110?

Asus Z170-A

ASRock AB350 Pro4

Which manufacturer is better for PSUs? EVGA or SeaSonic?

Neither - brand superiority in PSUs is a meme. Go for certification rating and modularity, nothing else matters.

From the other thread, I bought a 1080 Ti but it has a weird connection that I dont understand. Halp

Does the stand off in the middle of Corsair 200Rs still cause mobos to short out?

it's power hungry

8 pin PCI-E power.

Lemme guess, you only have 6 pin coming out of your power supply? There should have been dual 6 -> 8 adapters in the box with the card. Otherwise you need to upgrade your power supply.

I know but I dont understand how it hooks to my PSU. Do i put an 8 pin end into the GPU then the 6 pin end into the PSU and leave the 6+2 dangling?

No mine has 8 but it doesnt fit the 6+2 end. Only the 6 alone fits

6+2 is for motherboard, not GPU.

I think you can get adapters, but given that you need two sets of them, you should really consider looking at a new power supply.

Should i get an AMD 470, 480, 570, or 580 if im gaming at 1080p. I know a 470 would work but will the other cards give a significant boost in frames? Which card would be best if i want to average over 60 frames. (i dont necessarily have to play on ultra graphics either, though it would be nice its not really a requirement for me and i know ultra graphics and high dont look too different these days)

Also is 4g too small? People say its fine but people also say new games are going to require more than 4g.

My PSU

Okay, I'm a retard. Yes, 6+2 is the same as 8 pin. Modular supply, so you should just be able to plug the 6+2 into both of those.

I can plug the 6+2 or the 8 into the GPU but both literally doesnt fit into the PSU. The cable has like these notches on it that doesnt let it go in the PSU

Without the adapter cords that came in the box with the GPU - just use the ones that came with the PSU.

These are rhe cables I have. One end is 8 pin, the other is either 6, or 6+2. So do put the 8 pin end into the GPU and the 6 pin into the PSU and leave the 6+2 alone?

This is how I set it up but it doesnt look right. 6 pin only. Other 2 are completely open. The 6+2 doesnt fit

ACK, don't do that! You need to use the cords that came with the power supply, not the graphics card.

I would have briken somwthing then. See thats why Im here. I have a backup PSU and the 6+2 works on it. I dont like this PSU because its semi modular

I'm really confused now - what's on the other end of those VGA2-VGA3 cords?

The other ends are 8 pin ends of each cable are in my GPU. This is another power supply I have.

>Is an RX 580 a sizable upgrade to an R9 290?
lol no.
You can just overclock the 290. Only thing you save on is power consumption for the most part.

Wat? R9 had eyefinity. Even my 7970 did 6 monitors.

It's okay. There's really just a handful that of boards that are bad.

pro4 or gaming 3. Maybe mortar, tomahawk, and prime, too, but they seem to be more troublesome with BIOS still.

EVGA doesn't manufacture PSUs.

read the fucking manual

>EVGA doesn't manufacture PSUs
but what are these?

fake news

>pcpartpicker.com/list/gCbj7h
1400 isn't worth buying unless you get it

Fuck it. Hooked up my other PSU. Seems to fit

slapping on your name on a product doesn´t mean you manufactured it

>State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often.
Not a data collection thread at all ;^)

Shitposting
70$
USA
Firefox, CS 1.6, AutoCAD 2009

look at all that data that makes me so vulnerable
the NSA is surely stroking their dicks in my direction now!

Hey Sup Forumsaymers,
I'm looking to join the masterrace and I have NO idea where to start; I've never built a computer before. With the recent Ryzen chips being a good value from what I heard, I decided it's time to jump on the bandwagon.
Like I said, I'm looking for a build with good value, that I can ideally upgrade in the future, as needed. I don't really have a budget, because I can just save up as much as needed, but if it could be kept under $1000, that'd be nice I guess.
I watch a lot of movies, some 4k on my OLED TV, and my shitty laptop can't handle files like that, so it'd be nice if I could. I've never really been into PC gaming, but I want to start. I've heard good things about titles like Portal, the Half-Life Trilogy, and Skyrim, and would be interested in giving them a shot.
I wouldn't mind playing these in 1080p then upscaling, because I'm not sure if the visual upgrade is worth the significant cost upgrades that would be required.

For reference, my most recent vidya gayme experience is with the Play Station 1, where I'm working my way through Spyro 2: Ripto's Rage.

I look forward to hearing your suggestions on parts, games, and even 4k vs 1080p.
Thanks in advance!

good 1440p 144hz monitor for less tahn $600 cad? I have gtx 970s so free sync doesnt matter

pentium G4560 and rx 460 if youre dropping in with 1080p and 4k streaming
4k gaming is much more strenuous but if your goal is those hallmark of PC gaming kinds of titles (skyrim) then you dont need much
hell, i can play Porta, HL, and skyrim on a core2duo with a gt 710

And with that, you can upgrade in the future to a kaby lake i5 or i7, and replace the GPU with something like a gtx 1070/1080 for really high tier shit

>NSA
They already have all your shit, like I give 2 shits about them.

Stop turning Sup Forums into a marketing tool.

heres a 500$ entry level build, including the cost of windows
pcpartpicker.com/list/gqNNFd

in the future if you get into this shit, replace the pentium with an i5 7600, (not K), replace the GPU with a gtx 1080, add another 8gb of ram and upgrade the PSU to a nice 600w+ unit
pcpartpicker.com/list/6Wm8wV

w10 is free if you just skip the activation step. Can swap out the 460 for a 480

might not be worth it from the start it would be replaced later for 4k gaming
if everything to begin with would be older titles in 1080p, a 460 is a really good choice, maybe even an rx 550 if those come out any time soon

It sounded like he has 4K movies downloaded.
Does the G4560 decode ANY 4K fine? It's my understanding that it's just the DRM that lets it decode those 4K streams. But how well does it handle decoding random 4K torrents that you download, or 4K youtube?

pcpartpicker.com/list/BNXsCy

First time builder here. Thoughts?

Today is the last day to preorder that Nixeus 1440p freesync monitor on Massdrop for $400, $100 off.
It seems like a pretty good monitor. Better than the other $350-$550 options. Though it's hard to tell since... preorder.

Nixeus NX-EDG27 - 27" AHVA LED, 1440p resolution, 144hz max refresh, Freesync range 30-144hz

Looks solid PC wise, but why not 1440p?
1080p 75hz with a 1080 seems odd to me.

>want to get the monitor but can't afford $400
>will get paid in a week and can afford the $500 MSRP then

I guess I'm not missing out since I can see if it's worth it? Instead of risking $400, I just have to pay $100 more than I would have for assured good product.

Doing research on Nixeus, they seem like a solid small/underdog company. Hope they put out more things in the future.

Was thinkin bout using 1440p but wouldn't that require me to upgrade other hardware more often ?

What are some good 1 3.5" drive to 5.25" hotswap bays?
I hate asking to be spoonfed, but I've tried searching and everything that I find seems to be crap.

>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm

Is this true, in your experience, fellow anonymous posters, or is this Sup Forums being autistic about 3fps.

I've been burned before.

Unless you have a 1080 or up, Nvidia doesn't affect Ryzen.

Nvidia DX12 is poo on Ryzen atm because it doesn't split the work up among the threads so IPC matters more. Hopefully it'll be fixed soon.

Well i do have 1080p.

A small performance hit is fine, i'm not using AMD's graphics cards. They're fucking fire hazards.

By 1080, I meant the GTX 1080 and up. So a 1080/Ti or Titan.

pcpartpicker.com/list/nB7hJV

so how is this build for 1080p and 1440p gaming? i already have a lot of storage so i figured an X370 board would be better for that if anything.

Well, i feel retarded.

I'll drop the hammer on that 1050 ti then, thanks bro.

It's not about 3fps. It's about smoothness.
Nvidia's driver seems to stall the CPU from any thread getting much over 50% utilization which means lower GPU utilization as well.

It's not just on DX12.
The Witcher 3 is not DX12/Vulkan.
The main pattern I'm seeing is.. DX12, Vulkan, AND GameWorks titles. But there could be others.

Ryzen+Radeon is the smoothest you can get, but obviously an RX580 is just too weak for 144hz in newer games, or 4K.

If you have a free 1050Ti or left over one, go for it. You can probably set a frame rate cap to fix the pacing issues, and hopefully Nvidia will fix their driver soon.
But there is no reason anyone should be buying a new 1050Ti for any build since an RX470 is about the same cost, unless they don't have a 6pin power connector.

Riddle me this Sup Forums

None of the peripherals work. HDD womt power on, cd drive wont power on, fans womt power on, only thing that works is the SSD. What gives?

Dying psu and/or mobo. In fact does the mobo receive power?

Yea. It boots fine. Its sitting on the BIOS right now. It can also see the fan thats plugged into the CPU fan slot om the MOBO. When i plug in the SSD, its fine. Nothing else works though so what the literal fuck?

What do you mean "and"? A monitor is either or resolution.
If if you want 1440p, get one of the higher end RX580s. It looks like people are getting those RX580 GTR-S overclocked to 1520+MHz which is often above Fury X performance. That's the best budget 1440p you can get.
If you go with one of the lower end cards that won't OC as well, you may struggle or have to turn down more settings.

Now for 1080p, I'd say that's overkill and you should spend

Could be fucked cables plugging into the psu. It is an odd issue and frankly I would try another psu.

My relatively old gaming computer

Build Date: initial build July 16, 2009, modified/bought in August 2016
CPU: Core 2 Duo E7500 (2.93 GHz dual core, stock)
GPU: AMD Radeon HD8490 (1 GB GDDR3, ~$45)
RAM: 2x 4 GB (reused)
Storage: 300 GB HDD (reused)
Monitor: Dell 1909W with speakers (1440x900 TFT LCD w/ adjustable stand and clipon speakers, ~$20)
Mouse: ancient Targus lightup mouse (reused, ~2006)
Keyboard: Dell SK-8115 (colicky as hell but not mechanical, nice sculpting)
Mousepad: Mac OS X Tiger (reused)
Cooling, PSU, Motherboard, OS/Processor stickers, etc: Stock Dell parts (Optiplex 760)
Total cost: ~$100

Can play CS:GO at 40 FPS

pcpartpicker.com/list/bftJHN

Still looking for a monitor and mouse. Can I even handle 1440p at this level? I'd imagine since the GPU came clocked in at 1,338 Mhz which is about the lower end of the 580 range.

Currently looking at the Nixeus Revel and the BenQ ZOWIE EC2-A

It looks boring as shit, but runs cooler than a Siberian air conditioner and no blinding LEDs

This gives me PTSD as my work PC (while more powerful) isn't much above that thing and using it is painful compared to my personal desktop.

Unfortunately i'm Australian, so the r470 is actually more expensive than the 1050 ti here.

Core 2s are still somewhat viable for work and older games: anything really new I just play on XBONE, this is for the cheap steam games, GIMP, web games/browsing, etc. If I swapped in a Core 2 Quad motherboard, I would meet GTA V's minimum specs

Read my mind

How much more? Because the RX470 is about 50% faster.
If it's only 30% more, it's worth it.