Install Linux

>install Linux
>have some issue with it
>make a criticism on the internet relating to this
>"program the solution yourself" is the typical response

Is this a cop out?

have a bonus Mila

Master Foo and Nubi one day decided to meditate by a stream in a pine forest. While on the way they passed the corporate offices of Mango Inc. Outside the facade of the building was a follower of the way of the fruit.

The man was hastily eating a bowl of rice while leaning on a post. Balanced on a nearby ledge was a tablet of stone inscripted with numbers and calculations.

Nubi wondered what the man was doing and shared his curiousity with his teacher. The Master responded "Why don't you ask him, my student?" The pair approached the man carefully as to not startle him and greeted him with eager eyes.

Nubi spoke up, "Good afternoon sir, what are you doing eating outside with this stone tablet?"

"Why, I am calculating figures for my employer, this is the reference and I have learned to memorize the simple output. My boss has given me a promotion because this allows me to continue to work while I take my meal, increasing our output greatly."

The Master asked and recieved permission to copy the stone tablet with pen onto parchment. The pair then continued into the forest and meditated.

It was the next day when they passed the man outside again on their way home. Master Foo paused close to the man and opened his satchel and pulled out a blank parchment. He scribbled three lines of numbers and algorithms.

He handed it to the man and continued on his way.

Well GNU/Linux is a programmers OS so the "Program it yourself" response is fairly reasonable. Considering GNU/Linux is not really meant for the general public.

>Well GNU/Linux is a programmers OS
>GNU/Linux is not really meant for the general public.
[citation needed]

Well think about it. The general public doesn't want to make scripts to fix shit. They want everything to 'just werk'. Which GNU/Linux doesn't satisfy that need.

Linus made it to make/test/share projects but not pay for Windows.

That's not true. Linus has said Linux was intended to eventually be a full featured desktop OS with a Unix-like design for people to use freely.

You're probably just too stupid to type a command or edit a conf

But what if I'm not, hmm? What if my criticisms are actually... (gasp).. valid? What's your response then?

yes, kys.

If you dislike Linux it's almost always your own ineptitude's fault.

Still dodging the question, eh?

No, you're dodging the answer. If you bothered to actually learn Linux and you're actually enthusiastic about technology, you cannot help but love it.

I have "actually learned Linux" and I am enthusiastic about technology. I could even program my own solutions if I really wanted to. And I do like Linux quite a lot.

But to blame any criticism on user error or inexperience is for sure one big-ass cop out. Editing configuration files and using a CLI is not rocket science and if you think that's going to be an issue to any serious user I'm starting to question your own level of familiarity with technology.

See

3rd side-step in a row, user. You're looking bad here.

>Brings up legitimate point
>OP says its a sidestep and not a point

Sage thread.

>The year of the Linux desktop is coming any time now!
Yeah, the same day grandma learns to write her own printer drivers.

If your criticism is valid and nobody has made a solution, it's probably because nobody else cares about the issue as much as you do. So no, it's not a cop out. Everything is open source. Fucking do it yourself or fuck off. The Linux community doesn't care about appealing to plebs.

It's not a legitimate point at all. It's assumption of user error in all cases when that is simply not true. Some people DO know what they are doing and still run into problems. You can't always be snide and claim the user is just not doing something right. Sometimes shit just doesn't work.

Blaming everything on user error is the oldest and worst sin a developer can commit. And reflects poorly on themselves too if your design is actually too complicated for an average person to use (which is not the case with Linux).

>Well think about it. The general public doesn't want to make scripts to fix shit. They want everything to 'just werk'. Which GNU/Linux doesn't satisfy that need.
I used Windows and Linux for about the same amount of time and I've used OSX for about 2 years. Literally none of those options "just werk". Linux is as close as it gets though. I find myself needing to use the command line and write scripts to fix bullshit problems no matter which OS I use.

>The Linux community doesn't care about appealing to plebs.

Then why are Linux fags so obsessed with it becoming more popular and taking over the desktop market?

wouldn't have those errors if you not only programmed it yourself but released the solution as well.

I've been saying this for a while. No operating system "just works" out of the box. Not if you're doing anything remotely interesting with it.

Not my responsibility as the end user. Not as long as companies like Canonical market Linux as a product. But that doesn't stop the Ubuntu community from saying what you have said.