I need some advice Sup Forums

I need some advice Sup Forums

I've had a 4,1 Macbook for about 9 years now and the most recent version of mac OSX it supports is no longer receiving updates. I've tried putting linux on it several times but I've never gotten the trackpad drivers to work the way they should.

What linux distro is the most 'mac hardware' friendly?

I've gotten Ubuntu to run on the same computer easily with no problems.

my path was osx->ubuntu->osx->manjaro

this is for the black core2duo model

Funny enough there is nothing in that MacBook that is stopping from MacOS Sierra from running on it, Apple has decided only unibody shit can run the latest versions. If you want something that just works just shove Ubuntu on it or windows 7, might have to find drivers for windows 7 though

my black 2.4ghz model ran ubuntu just fine. two finger tap for menu worked, as did the two finger + mouse button. all the way back on 8.04 o 10.04

if you want it to have terribly aggressive acceleration that feels like you are mousing through mud? No one can fuck up a track pad that way like apple.

the x3100 GMA is awful and i dont think it would fully support most of the fancy new features of OSX well.

Lion on it was pretty painfully slow, and ate some 40% of the CPU at idle on mine. The CPU never dropped below 60C, where as with SL the fans only came on if i used flash player or did FHD movies.

Enabling full real time transparency under carbon and cocoa windows and menu systems basically pegged the GPU and a the CPU cores were up in the 50% under Leopard and Snow Leopard.

Since the newer versions of OSX rely heavily on blur shaded transparency features that take advantage of pixel shader 3 and newer technologies, im pretty sure it would run like utter shit on OP's macbook.

It really is the worst. This computer won't even push a 1080p monitor without issue.
It isn't great by default I agree but I'm so used to it and could never adjust :/
>crapple
I'll give manjaro a shot, it looks good.

Also I had the same experience with Lion, I've had it on Snow Leopard for the past few years and it still runs great but now never applications don't support it and it's becoming kind of an issue.

it ran 1920x1200 fine for me, though it most it ever did intensive at that resolution was HD movies, or light gaming (command and conquer 3) But it barely met the specs to run Aero on Vista or Seven.

i never expected it to do much more than that, it was a thin/light laptop for the time that got 5-6 hours of battery life. It was amazing at the time, and despite all the shitty luck i had with it (3HDDs failed, 2 batteries bulged so bad they could not fit in the computer, one after 400 cycles, the other after 80 cycles, DVD drive stopped working, and 1 set of ram fried...) i loved the computer : great design and form factor over all.

Unlike other peoples, my macbook held up and was in pristine condition externally : few scratches, no chipping of the palm rest, no shiny spots on the key etc etc. I would like to get another one if they would release that exact form factor with better hardware.

my need for a gpu to do cad on pushed me to getting a used t61p for 200 bucks after i sold the black macbook for 650 bucks on craigslist. which served me well until 2015 with the gpu finally died.

It's probably about time you bought a new Macbook.
Console yourself that it has lasted maybe 3 times as long as any non-Apple laptop would have and it has received updates until now.
You could Boot Camp it and run an obsolete version of Windows until Microsoft pulls support.

Mine has held up really well too and I still use it every now and then (although I use my desktop for most everything now).

I replaced the battery a few years ago and it's still going strong. That said the hinge has gotten pretty weak over the years.

I ran Vista on it for awhile and it would run aero I remember that lol. The X3100 really is the worst.

For what I need a laptop to do it's still sufficient and I can't justify putting any money into a new laptop because I have no reason to do so really. When it finally kicks the bucket I'll probably just buy a chromebook or something. It's crazy looking at some of the newer laptops my friends have and seeing how far they've come. I remember when I got this thing it was really hot shit because it was so small and attractive looking.

Yeah I really didn't expect this thing to last so long either. This thing has held up like a thinkpad for me which is funny because everyone else I knew who had one managed to fuck it up after about 3-4 years.

whats sad is we paid over $200 more just to have a black one. If you specced out a white and black one identically, that was the price differential.

Try Ubuntu MATE. It should work fine. Posting from it now on a 2011 MBP.

I wanted a blackbook so bad but I couldn't afford it at the time. I really wish apple would make a matte black laptop again.

Lord. TiBooks really looked like that?
Did not age well

I wonder how they got the bezels uniformly small all the way back in 2001. Dell's XPS has small bezels around except for the bottom, which is fucking huge, I'm sure LED drivers are a lot smaller than CCFL drivers.

Dat 1280×854 doe

It got worse, 1152x768

Just revived one of these for a friend and noticed odd symptoms like this. However, I think this one is more of a matter of having trouble doing anything network related. It talks to my router fine, but can't even get to Google more than the one freak occurrence. Is this Apple interference or do I have further troubleshooting to sort out for myself?

I run one of these as a media and iTunes server and it's pretty decent. Fans definitely kick in when I ask it to stream some higher-end video media, but this is to be expected with its age.

One problem I have is having to restart it every few days because the brightness and volume keys lag horrendously. Mine's hooked up to some speakers and I use an IR remote to control volume and it's pretty jarring to have a delay of ~20s between each keypress.

It's probably something related to CMOS battery, but has anyone else experienced this?