At what age did you outgrow your edge Linux phase?

At what age did you outgrow your edge Linux phase?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5jmu9b/red_hat_engineer_cant_make_fedora_work_on_his_mac/dbhfeu2/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Then started using it again at 25 because coding is comfier

Now, when will you realize that you are a pathetic fuck shilling for Microsoft for free?

At what age did you outgrow your faggot phase OP?

oh wait you didn't

I was never dumb enough to install a broken OS with no software.

>never had a job

I was "Ow the edge 1337" From 12 to 18yo, then I entered College and installed RedHat Dev edition (which is free of you are a student btw). My journey was basically this:

Xubuntu>Backtrack(12yo att)>arch>debian>gentoo>ghostbsd>Fedora>RedHat

>wps office and cli tools
>no software

Outgrew windows at the age of 25 when I grew out of video games.
10 years of Linux.

I do graphic design with a bunch of Adobe shits, so never got to be an edgy linux fag

At most I dual-booted Debian at times

when slackware stopped being the cool alternative distro

Getting this way.

Just hit 25, working as a software developer, holy fuck why are games so boring now.

Around 26, after buying the original MacBook which, I shit you not, ran Gentoo for a while. Gotta say, having disposable income and turning into an adult does wonders for your edginess. [pic related: me upgrading the AirPort]

How to trigger buttmad freetards: the thread

Linux cut me down to size pretty quickly in my early teen years after I tried installing Redhat on my grandmother's computer and ended up deleting all the partitions and panicking not knowing how to fix it.

Now in my 30's I still have a sort of primal fear of partitioning thanks to that incident.

Linux just works better for my needs
Grew out of my "Everything is a botnet" phase a month ago and it's great

Learn to backup you fucking degenerate

Become a linux autist at 14, swore by it on taiwanese snooker forums, got redpilled two years later and went back to windows.

At what age did you grow out of "muh games" phase, OP?

At what age did you grow out of your autistically fishing for replies on Sup Forums because you have no life phase?

this, there are two categories of linux users
>category 1: the neets, the underage, or the autistic ricers
>category 2: the qt dev with striped programming socks, the sysadmin, the engineer, the researcher, the pentester, and anyone else who actually uses it for their job instead of falling into the timesink of ricing and shilling freetard culture

freetard culture is easily the most autistic thing about linux users

>you will never get a job if you don't autistically use linux for everything
This is what freetards actually believe.
Linux is one size fits all everywhere but the desktop. Why waste time with Linux on the desktop when you can just SSH into a Linux machine from a Mac or Windows machine? Even Red Hat employees realise that this is the way to go.

>Linux is one size fits everywhere but the desktop
You're right. You really can't do much with just a kernel on a desktop.

>tfw you have nothing worth backing up

Meme all you want but take a look for yourself
reddit.com/r/linux/comments/5jmu9b/red_hat_engineer_cant_make_fedora_work_on_his_mac/dbhfeu2/

>Redhatter here, 100% agree. The majority of people at Red hat are not serious Linux users by any stretch, including engineers. It's a big public technology company. Some of the principle guys on my engineering team even prefer to take macbooks, because most of the work we do is done on the headless server-grade workstations we vnc/ssh into anyway.
>A lot of people just want to get their shit done and don't care how they do it. I can respect that.

Architecture: i686
CPU op-mode(s): 32-bit
Byte Order: Little Endian
CPU(s): 1
On-line CPU(s) list: 0
Thread(s) per core: 1
Core(s) per socket: 1
Socket(s): 1
Vendor ID: AuthenticAMD
CPU family: 6
Model: 7
Model name: AMD Duron(tm) processor
Stepping: 1
CPU MHz: 1297.806
BogoMIPS: 2595.61
L1d cache: 64K
L1i cache: 64K
L2 cache: 64K
mouse@T6D9E0:~$ free -m
total used free shared buffers cached
Mem: 500 494 5 2 13 333

It's hard to tell the difference between legitimate enjoyment, and edge phase.

Around the time I grew into my BSD phase

never will
linux > winshit

BSD is for the truly redpilled. The day you start to appreciate BSD is the day you realise how silly Lincucks and its culture really is.

why do these threads always get replies

>You must be at least 18 years of age to post on this board

>2017
>not pirating your processor

because the type linux users that do browse Sup Forums are not the type who use it for any productive work but are NEETs and underage b& with an infinite amount of free time

wincuck detected
tell me.. did you pay for that bloatware and spyware or torrent it like the h4k0r you are

>because the type linux users that post in these threads are not the type who use it for any productive work but are NEETs and underage b& with an infinite amount of free time
FTFU

I never post in these kind of threads (except now, I saw your comment). I use Linux at work and normie stuff at home.

>productive work
sure.. cause 90% of the supercomputers work on windows

>I use Linux at work and normie stuff at home.
That's fair enough, nothing against that Can you read?
>linux users that do browse Sup Forums
Post pics of your supercomputer

I use Arch you muppet. You are never truly redpilled until you learn that both have their strengths and weaknesses.

I moved from being a 100% linux user to a Windows user after I realized Free Software isn't as perfect as I would like to believe. Nobody wants to work collaboratively, developers keeps hurting the community by "me too" just because they want to be a leader and not working on what really matters, and a shitty community of users who suck Stallman's ass even if he is pretty much wrong and out-of-touch with what professionals really need.

I stoppped fucking with my time and since then, I use Windows. I still use Linux a lot, because work, but it will never be my main desktop again. Windows does an excellent job on the Desktop, while I use Linux on virtual machines or through SSH.

>both have their strengths and weaknesses
they do
but the faggots here don't know shiet
post screenshot faggot

muh nigga

Please keep making these threads OP

>BSD is for the truly redpilled.
As a server,perhaps.For desktop usage,no.BSD still leaves a lot to be desired in this area.It's worse than Linux was 10 years ago.

i was to smart to even start t,b,h. i was /bsd/ before linux existed. switched to plan 9 soon tho

Perhaps for a *nix beginner that's true but for anyone who is familiar enough with the terminal BSD is da bes

at what age did you outgrow your bideogames phase?

Grew back into it once Win7 was too slow on my 8 year old laptop. i3 makes my work smoother and faster.

bump for more freetard steam

I'm actually going into that phase now at age 24 because W7 support is going to get axed soon and those NSA hacking tools getting released make me nervous. Even though I use my computer all day the tasks I actually use it for are so limited that there's no reason for me to not be using Linux instead since I get to do everything I normally would but with no backdoor for Bill Gates to look into my machine. It's taken quite a while to set up the way I want it to be but I suppose that's because I'm using Arch.

I need a good development platform that needs to just werks, so Windows is out of the question for me.

After I left the harmful place that is "college" or as British niggers call it "uni"

>being a liberal arts faggot

nah m8

If you go into engineering you won't find much of the leftist indoctrination, why did you drop out?

same. no idea why winfags get butthurt. it's not for everyone. i actually found xp to be complicated to fix and tedious compared to linux mint. it just works.

6 - first compooter - iMac with 0S 9
8 - prebuilt emachines - amd sempron 1.8ghz and 256mb ram fuck ye
9 - installed ubuntu on it as dual boot
a few months later - back to windows
10 - got some consumer laptop idk
11 - installed ubuntu on it as dual boot
12 - this is gay back to windows
13 - build own computer with 2500k, put windows and ubuntu dual boot on from start
14 - discover Sup Forums, lurkin
15 - start posting in desktop threads, get btfo
-begin ricing windows
-keep posting in desktop threads, getting btfo less but still primarily using windows so mostly btfo.
-get old computer and put linux mint on it
-install crunchbang on laptop
-learning to rice
16 - rice the fuck out of laptop
-installed crunchbang on desktop as main OS
-rice the fuck out of it
-actually get some good rates in desktop threads
-start learning bash and gitting gud at making little scripts to make things convenient
-replace crunchbang with debain
-rice fuck out of it again
-mostly great rates in desktop threads
17 - install arch as main OS
-rice fuck out of it
-so fucking comfy (I tell myself)
-want to use adobe products
-try virtual qemu with pci passthrough
-its ok but prefer dualboot - install windbows as dualboot
-continue using for awhile, continue to learn and git gud in regards to other things
18 - replace arch with debian
-only mildly rice it
-stop posting in desktop threads
-start just working on things I care about
-adobe products pretty useful, spent most time in windows
-decide to remove linux altogether, run debian in virtual machine on windows if needed
-not as much need for adobe products
-more need for python and bash and generally comfy coding environment
-install ubuntu 16
-don't even attempt to rice at all
-literally still have default desktop background
-use windows occasionally if I need something on it
-95% of time spend in ubuntu, just working on things I care about

so thats basically it - linux allows you to learn, and may or may not have use for you

Never. When I use windows I tend to find the operating system gets in my way rather than being the tool I need to get work done.

>tfw to inteligent for a degree

when i got a job

On Linux, I can't just spontaneously decide to install and play any game without having to fucking tinker Wine. (I'm not gamer but sometimes I just feel like playing a round). I can't produce music because 99% of all plug-ins aren't available. I can't use Adobe products with GPU acceleration. It's a fucking time sink.

Must suck to be too poor for a Mac.

I started my edgy phase in high school with Ubuntu Lucid Lynx and used all Ubuntu versions all the way until Unity and GNOME Shell arrived, which made me switch to KDE and realize that it was a broken piece of shit on everything but OpenSUSE, so I switched to it. Time went on and I felt I wasn't being edgy enough, so I switched to Manjaro, which lasted about a week on my computer because its update cycle is retarded. I tried to install Antergos but I couldn't get the installer to work, so I installed Arch, which really says something about the garbage Antergos is. I used Arch for a long time until having to manually merge the new conf files on every update pissed me off, so I went back to Xubuntu, because it just werks. I stayed with it until a year ago when I finally outgrew my edgy Linux phase and installed FreeBSD.

Im not a faggots. I would rather die than running around with a white shiny Facebook machine for punk ass faggots

>"Linux is a time sink"
>plays games
>produces music
You life is a fucking time sink, friend.

17. Brief surfacing of it while 29.

>lincucks
>cucks
hmmmm

At least I'm not a neckbeard faggot who got mobbed in school and ended us watching amines on mpv 24/7. Literally 90% of all Linux users are weebfags and all weebfags are beta faggots.

You must be 18 to post here.

>installed linux when I was 15
>used linux as main OS from 17 to 22
>now switched back to win7 because it's more comfy, will upgrade to linux again when support ends

When I got a job and realized my time was actually worth something.

You have to understand that using Linux I'd the only thing that makes these weebfags feel superior to any other human being because they suck at everything else. By using Linux they quietly want to shout out "please look, I have a skill, I'm not a useless neckbeard who still lives at his parents basement" don't curse them, help the.lm

I thought I did, so I got a mac and an iPhone

Then I installed arch (with an installer script) and bought a galaxy because it turns out everythink sucks and the thing that sucks the least is the thing you can make suck in a way that doesn't bother you

>but muh software 0.000001% of jobs need!

Yeah, yeah. Arch just werks now that it's basically fedora, but rolling release with a basic package manager so I get this every now and then

>one package broken
>downgrade that one package
instead of this
>everything broken
>reinstall
or this
>OS is now completely out of my control
>configuration procedures to tame it are more complex, poorly documented, and time consuming than anything I ever did on loonix, make regular wifi use on openBSD look simple
>laughing_satella_nutella.jpg
or even this
>bugs finally ironed out
>here's more bugs
>"my brand new $CURRENT_YEAR RMBP does not have that problem, did you say yours was from 2013? buy a new one."

>I contradicted myself twice in one post
>but you're a weeb!
Do go on, it's hilarious. Are you gonna call me a fag next? No, wait, I know! A cuck!

>i waste my time on bullshit for nerds
>but at least i don't waste my time on bullshit for nerds

Lol

Sup Forums. Where nerds try to take each other's lunch money becasue dungeons and dragons is better than final fantasy.

Weebfaggot.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Well, would you look a that? You did call me a fag. Gotta love winbabbies. Also, that's not me.

faggot shitskin idiotic kike

I use Windows primarily, but mess with Linux here and there when I'm bored. Also, what's the best ssh program? Putty?

>category 3: people who aren't mentally impaired Sup Forumsermin that actually care about consistent framerates and low ping

Performance on the games that support it is superior to Windows in a lot of scenarios now. I avg 200fps in Dota 2 and CS:GO and never dip below 144.

Best part is you simply don't have to worry about windows doing pants on head retarded shit that destroys your latency

>no screenshot

Terminal

honestly gnu/linux is more ancom than ancap

This. Install BSD if you want recreational McNukes and child slaves.

>no software
STFU WE CAN PLAY AGE OF EMPIRES 1 AND USE PHOTOSHOP (2002) ON WINE YOU SHITLORD

No new ideas, so every game feels like you've played it already

Couple years ago I switched back to windows after growing frustrations with linux gaming.

I still use linux at work.

The greatest strength of Windows is that nearly any idiot can use it. Greatest weakness is that you usually have to run all over the place to 3rd parties if you wanna exceed the "Microsoft experience"

when i stopped eating my toejam

>old IP
>91 posts
>54 replies
Microsoft is getting desperate, aren't they?

do you season your toejam or eat it raw?

Do you poo in the loo or in your curry plate?

I had been suffering with Slackware and then Debian for about 10 years before I started watching Bryan Lunduke's Linux Sucks lectures and realized that every year that was going by the same fucking problems still existed on Linux that were around when I first converted. I realized that neither OS was perfect and decided to just dual-boot on my main laptop and use Windows exclusively on my gaming rig.

Meh, Brian was bitching about no wayland a few years back, which is not an issue anymore.

Same with audio issues but Lennart actually solved the problem. My windows laptop is catching the dust for the last two years

Coding is better at linux and I have zero distractions and it runs well in my old laptop, but if I had the money I would buy a MacBook pro and use osx.

edge isnt released for linux yet so i cant outgrow it

im sticking with firefox thx

I tried multiple times, but honestly just found it wasn't worth it. I spent more time fixing very, very basic shit that you would expect to work "out of the box" than I did actually using my computer normally.
Don't get me wrong, Windows is still a piece of shit, but things tend to at least work, even if they don't work terribly well.
Linux has very little middle ground. Either shit works much better than the equivalent would in Windows or it just doesn't work at all and you have to spend hours tinkering to get it to work. I'd rather the consistent mediocrity of Windows.

>red hat doesn't use Linux
>thinks they know how to make Linux better
Really makes me think.

Guess I am category 3: the fed up

>long time Microsoft user (MS-DOS, 3.1, 95,98,2000, XP, 7)
>install Windows 8
>shitty metro look, no start menu, half-assed tablet OS, buggy, problems with hardware that had werked perfectly on Windows 7
>HDD fails, want to install Win 7 again but all I got is Windows 8 and a DVD from some magazine with Ubuntu 14.04 on it
>install Ubuntu
>everything fucking works perfectly out of the box, even smooth touchpad scrolling.
>system stable and fast as fuck
>tfw everything in software center is free and can be downloaded with one click and realising no antivirus needed

never looked back