Would OpenSUSE be a good first distro?

Would OpenSUSE be a good first distro?

Other urls found in this thread:

opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
software.opensuse.org/package/unrar
community.kde.org/Windows/Releases
susestudio.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

No, you're likely to have trouble getting codecs and non-free software working. Maybe try KDE Neon instead.

Didn't opensuse have an optional nonfree repository and actually ask you if you want to use it during installation?

For all the typical codecs you'll need to add packman community repo, find all the right packages then zypper dup. OpenSUSE's non-free repo only has bare essentials.

I would recommend solus, pretty easy to use and so far has next to no issues besides lack of third party packages.

No. Use Ubungo.

SuSE was my first distro.
I turned out alright.

>No, you're likely to have trouble getting codecs
pls see this
opensuse-guide.org/codecs.php
pretty easy, even for a complete newbie

Great link, I just installed OpenSUSE Tumbleweed and haven't used linux in awhile...

No, it's a distro you come back to after you've had your fill of the command line for basic shit like setting up a NFS server

Opensuse (and SLES) is popular with european (especially german for some reason) sysadmins for it's ease of configuration and integration (the magic keyword is YAST).
That's not what you want though. You will not learn much with opensuse. I recommend some Ubuntu flavour.

>You will not learn much with opensuse
do you mean you're not forced to use the terminal for some tasks?

Why is nonfree software hard to get working?

It's not on suse? Literally point and click.

>want unrar
type unrar opensuse on google

software.opensuse.org/package/unrar

>click on the official SuSe version you're using
>installed

SuSE installs are the piss easiest thing ever

So it's just bullshit that it's hard to use nonfree software?

It is if you've got something like a arch netinstall and have to manually compile dependencies

It is bullshit or it is hard? Sorry, I'm kind of drunk and wondering whether I should install openSUSE

You unable to follow a conversation, so I suggest Mac OS

no
save yourself a headache and just install ubuntu
unity is good dont listen to what anybody says

Fuck off Shuttlecuck

you blow your father with that mouth?

Ubuntu is good for entry level people who know absolutely nothing

I don't like Unity though

I've never even touched unity... so I can't give a opinion on it.

I enjoy it a lot
not my first distro but Tumbeweed so far is my favourite

What is the use case?
As a daily driver i might advise against it. IRC has 1k people who never help anyone that has an issue. The forums seem dead too, I had a few issues that went unanswered.
Suse people also get really butt hurt when you point out bugs, me and 50+ others had an issue where suse would update and unflag drives as being bootable.(go to the forums search for no boot media found) Took them a month to fix it and they fix it quietly. Everyone involved with suse would rather make shitty youtube music videos rather than fix the os and make it functional.

What's a good KDE-based DD then?

That's why DM, ESA, BOSCH, SAP, T-systems, Total, CASIO, Rackspace and the Tokyo Institute of Technology use Suse right?

community.kde.org/Windows/Releases
windows

I've heard nice things about fedora kde, apparently they have alot of nice integration for things like notifications

It was my first long-term use distro
I tried ubuntu(2 days) and mint(~10 days) before opensuse KDE which was like 5 months.

then arch put stop to distro hopping

Opensuse != Sles
Sles has a support contract with sub 4hour responds time.
Opensuse is not good for a daily driver or Sup Forumsidiots, especially if you have amd gear. I personally use opensuse tw but its not a good starter.

You made me laugh REALLY hard with that picture and text combo.

I find use extremely usable as a daily driver on both my laptop and desktop

[ alt@G751JL ] ~
$ → cat /proc/version && ssh -p 192.168.0.101
Linux version 4.1.39-53-pv (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.8.5 (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP Thu Mar 30 06:44:23 UTC 2017 (56cc5a0)
Last login: Fri Apr 21 18:11:22 2017 from 192.168.0.102
Password:
Have a lot of fun...
[ main@SuseDesk ] ~
$ → cat /proc/version
Linux version 4.4.57-18.3-default (geeko@buildhost) (gcc version 4.8.5 (SUSE Linux) ) #1 SMP Thu Mar 30 06:39:47 UTC 2017 (39c8557)

I'm running Leap 42.2 w/ KDE on my Desktop (i5-6600k on a Z170 chipset, R9 290 on the default OSS driver, 8GB of RAM) and I get amazing performance in muh gaymes @ 1920x1080 (CONSISTENT 144-200fps in Dota 2, CS:GO, and Rocket League).

I can post some benchmarks when I get back to my apartment later, if you guys don't believe me.

I take competitive super-seriously in Rocket League, and I'm in the top 0.5% of 1v1 players. Network lag is a fucking killer in Rocket League, and prevents many people from reaching their full potential due to the latency increase on Win8/Win8.1/Win10 due to Telemetry and other phone-home bloat.

It's hard to describe, but Rocket League at the hyper-competitive-top-tier-level is SUPER latency-sensitive. Your client and the server and constantly running physics calculations on the ball, and if you have any bit of network lag in 1v1 it can cost you the game.

The difference between playing Rocket League on Linux & Windows is night and day. When two players hit the ball at what is seemingly the same time, milliseconds apart from each other, whoever's computer talks to the server faster is the person who gets the advantage in the "50/50".

When I play on Windows, I get so many shoddy "50/50's" where I watch the ball jitter the fuck out when me and my opponent have one of those above-described scenarios. It does not happen on Linux because there is no telemetry bloatshit phoning home constantly, interfering with my connection to the server.

nice Jesus pic bro

It's actually got nothing to do with telemetry as it has to do with Linux's far superior TCP stack, if you could get it running on FreeBSD you'd have lower latency than Linux.

Painful to install codecs and freetype. If you don't use it with Plasma you are stupid.

This is incorrect, SLES and OpenSUSE is very rarely seen in Europe. The vast majority of the time it will be Ubuntu or Redhat. SUSE is rarely used anywhere other than SAP

Ask any sysadmin what OS they use/deal with and it will always be Ubuntu or Redhat/CentOS. SUSE is used in the SAP market and in small parts of China.

OpenSUSE is a great first distro, especially if you're keen on KDE, it's probably the most bug free Plasma implementation around. If not there's no reason not to checkout Ubuntu or Mint first.

I went back to Ubuntu. I like it slightly better than Ubuntu for servers but for desktop Ubuntu is still superior.

>it's popular for a reason

SUSE's essentially the RedHat of Europe.

If you work for a European government, odds are that you'll have some mandate to attempt to use EU software.

It's also nice that you have support available in an EU timezone...

Unless you're a euro, don't bother with SUSE over RedHat

Don't use kde it's buggy.

no, antergos is a good first distro. it will give you access to aur. learn that way. I recommend also using the gnome installation, I am not a fan of gnome, but it seems like all these fuckin kikes want to do nowadays is keep updating gtk with more and more gnome integration and devs keep choosing it as the default widget decorations but you know who cares

anyways, the point is use antergos, it's bleeding edge arch kernel and repositories with an installer for babies, you'll enjoy it and by having access to one of the most proficient linux communities out there, the best linux wiki is also tailored to your distro specifically (arch wiki)

ya won't regret it

Yes, acceptable. A little bit more complicated than Ubuntu family, though.

I personally prefer Ubuntu, but OpenSUSE is one of the best distros out there. Be sure to check out SUSE Studio - it lets you easily make your own custom distro essentially. susestudio.com/