Buys this

>buys this
>never has to use 4G again

Other urls found in this thread:

pcmag.com/roundup/350795/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/
nytimes.com/2017/04/26/technology/personaltech/mesh-network-vs-router.html?_r=0
arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/review-ubiquiti-unifi-made-me-realize-how-terrible-consumer-wi-fi-gear-is/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>i actually own this
>my house is too big for it
>still need a second router

>not being access point masterrace

>Buys this
>It started walking on its own
>It now follows me around, providing me with the best wifi coverage

kek

>flips it upside down
>It runs away

Damn arachnids

>buy this
>it destroys my mass extractors

>buy this
>to keep it running I have to sacrifice small mammals to Xeth'Gethiss, the Fiend from Below every full moon

Wow. Not sure anyone is going to get a supcom refrence in 2017 m8.

What kind of spider is that?

>buy this
>it connects you to the web

I don't think so

>buy this
>have two the next day
>then four the next
>then 8
>then 16
>after a few months the world is covered in them

>and the telecoms still charge for data

>buy this
>it bites me
>now I climb walls and swing from webs while fighting crime in Jew York City

>Unifi AP

my_nigga.tiff

>buy this
>it traps you in its web

Underrated

SPIDERS GET OUT

Is this just a regular access point like in the old days?

Or one of those new 'mesh' thingies? How does it work? Is it nice?

It's just an access point, nigga. Plug it into a switch and use it.

Right, I was just wondering about those:
pcmag.com/roundup/350795/the-best-wi-fi-mesh-network-systems
thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-wi-fi-mesh-networking-kits/
nytimes.com/2017/04/26/technology/personaltech/mesh-network-vs-router.html?_r=0

>buy this
>bites me when i turn it on
>die because australia

you nazi

Wouldn't really bother with those, to be honest. You can setup your own mesh networking instead and likely get better performance.

Can it walk around

read

I'm not letting a fucking spider bot in my house!

I got this for free to replace my previous spider router (Archer C3200). Tbh I don't think more than four antennas really does anything.

I have two of these. My house has Ethernet and I have a power over Ethernet switch. I run the accesss points off the PoEt. Works great.

>overpaying for pleb shitware
Why not just buy some cheap asus gear, put Tomato on it then use WDS like a normal Sup Forumstard?

Why go full pleb consumer at 5x the price?

>5x the price
Not really. It's also significantly better than any dumb router you're going to get from Asus.

Unifi is nowhere near 5x the price and it wayyyy more capable than a simple router with Tomato or DD-WRT on it.

arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/review-ubiquiti-unifi-made-me-realize-how-terrible-consumer-wi-fi-gear-is/

The ubiqity devices look nice, for one.

> buy $2M house
> install cheap shitty-looking access points.

> by $800 phone
> voter it with a shitty $5 plastic case

>a mac pleb argues that it's better than an apple device

A cheap asus with Tomato/DDWRT/OpenWRT has more features than a ubiquity device ever will.

This is the only real argument, but if you're happy to pay 5x the price for aesthetic alone, you're not really Sup Forums - that's pretty consumer pleb shit.

But in reality it's not really an argument, since plasterboard/drywall doesn't really block 2.4ghz wifi all that well, so you could have just had the wifi in the roof cavity and had even less of a disruption to your aesthetics.

>More features
And significantly less performance than Ubiquiti or any other Enterprise AP.

I don't live in cardboard-house land. My walls and floors are cement. Signal can't reach. Can't even get cellphone signal.

Howso, a cheap router has a ~1ghz MIPS or ARM CPU now, with ~256MB RAM

Real enterprise equipment, no, but Ubiquity isn't real enterprise equipment, just shit consumer gear with a flashy UI.
Ubiquity can't compete with PFsense which is the standard for FOSS enterprise routing.
It can't do any of the nice Cisco wifi featues like tracking a user across google maps either, so it's really not enterprise equipment.

Your roof isn't cement though unless you're cheap.

You can put it in the 1ft or so of cavity between the false ceiling and the next floor.

Why is more antennas better?

Isn't 3 antennas in 3 different orientations ideal?

(in b4 someone posting from 8 dimensional hyperspace)

>router flips over
>scuttles away and hides under a cupboard

>Your roof isn't cement though unless you're cheap.

Aren't concrete floors more expensive than wood floors?

I think all modern houses have concrete floors here.
I still have wood and it sucks.

There is a cavity but the false ceiling is some sort of cement-like tiles. Besides, that wouldn't go to every room because of the cement internal walls which do go to the next cement floor.

Plus I think the windows somehow shield electromagnetic radiation.

It's nice living in Switzerland but sometimes the level of quality gets ridiculous.

In your example 6 would already better - 3 in different polarisation with one antenna for transmit and one for receive.
But you've also got to factor in frequencies and that most wireless chips only do a single frequency output on a channel at a single time (so even though you could share a single antenna for both 2.4+5ghz, the hardware setup won't really allow it, and it would cost more to make that work than just adding another antenna)

why?
how is it better?

o kurwa :--DD

wtf is that
looks edgy

This is called MIMO. Multiple input, multiple output.
Can speed up WiFi. However it requires your laptop to have multiple antennas too.
I only ever seen a gayming laptop with two antennas.
So as long as your device does not have 8 antennas, this router works just like any other router.

>buys this
>GDI breaks into my house, telling me that I'm hiding Nod insurgents
>get blasted with the Ion Cannon

>nuke their northernmost building in retaliation

>Dutch angle
In getting a Pavlovian erection

OH NO
IT SHIFTED INTO ATTACK MODE

Why is THAT master race? Brand?

Asus has basically no particularly dumb routers to begin with, and almost all take the usual custom firmwares (which are ~as smart as it gets) just fine.

;_;

:DDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD

My router only came with 4 antennas, it certainly must suck.

Honestly, what are the extra antennas used for? Are there 4+ antennas on some receivers that people actually bought?

+sing

I have pic related and it actually has a use... According the the instruction manual, two are for 2.4 Ghz band, two for 5Ghz, and two for the secondary 5Ghz.

I don't know which one is which unfortunately because the second 5Ghz devices are all in one room, but it's a small enough area to not really matter

But how would the device(s) on the other end really use this without having 2 or 4 antenna even just for the 5Ghz band?

Do the devices even do as much as negotiate much whether they use the primary or secondary set of 5Ghz antennas depending on load?

>wifi

No idea? I'm not exactly an expert here.

I mean the bands are distinct so I don't think there is any negotiation necessary. The secondary band isn't for a boost, it's its own thing entirely. So connect to 5GHz #2 and you use those two antennas

I SEE YOU

>it came from routerspace

Most devices can't use more than one band at a time. The point is to allow devices to connect to the strongest signal (whichever radio on whichever frequency).

The 2.4 and 5ghz antennas make sense, because those are different signals. 5ghz offers better bandwidth but shorter distances. The device can switch to the radio that's better for wherever it is.

The second 5ghz radio is a marketing meme, IMO. Nothing can use multiple bands at once with few exceptions, but it allows them to claim a much higher maximum wireless speed by adding the max speed of every radio together. That's how you end up with 1900mbps or 3600mbps routers, even though clients will never see those speeds under the most ideal of conditions.

I guess I fell for the meme but if I can try to justify, all of my media (TV, remote, xbox, other TV) are on a band labeled media. The phones, surface, laptop, and ipad are on a regular 5 Ghz band. Desktop, nas, tuner all wired to LAN. The idea here is no interference between the two sets of devices, especially if the activity is over LAN

If I have guests I throw them on the 2.4. With so many other networks in the area I can't even find a clean channel so that has no practical use to me.

Maybe not worth the price but the router itself is great in terms of signal and strength

I see what you did there.

uhh i dunno maybe a brown recluse

Criminally underrated

Now i see why people hate Australia.