Printers

What is the best printer I can buy for $150 that can be used with Wi-Fi on all devices without any bullshit drivers or setup? It also needs to be reliable.

Other urls found in this thread:

brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCL2720DW/Overview
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer
amazon.com/HP-Laserjet-M477fdw-Wireless-Printer/dp/B014CSKE7E/
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m277dw
photo.walgreens.com/store/welcome
amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-M125nw-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00GJEKHBS
epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/Epson-WorkForce-WF-7610-All-in-One-Printer/p/C11CC98201
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Brother are recommended often.
But for me I'd say HP since it will have driver for GNU/Linux.
Anything less than 150$ would be an inkjet.

>But for me I'd say HP since it will have driver for GNU/Linux.
Is HP the only ones that do this?

Also is it better to get an Inkjet printer or Laserjet printer? I need high-quality documents and sometimes small photos, but I won't be using the printer every day or every week and I hear that regular ink printers can clog up if you don't use them often.

Always go laser, inkjet is complete shit and will cost you more over time. Your right about it clogging up when not in use for a long duration. But it also happens sometimes for no reasons

Well fuck. Laserjet is so much more expensive.

Also gotta convince my girlfriend that she has to go to a photo store or something to get copies she can hang on walls.

>clog up
Simple spray from window cleaner on the nozzles will clear it up.

I really don't need color prints. I had an inkjet printer but I ran into so many problems because I don't print all that often and the ink tends to get gummy, and that old ink ended up destroying the print heads. At the same time, my sister needs to print in color quite often. She has three young boys who get school projects almost every week. She goes through ink cartridges very quickly which was becoming costly.

So, I looked into printers for the both of us. I found a 3-in-1 HP Envy 5540 for her (really cheap, $65). I bought the Instant Ink for her, which means he pays a small monthly fee for ink ($4) and HP automatically mails a new tank of ink when hers is running low. Worked out great for her. As for me, I decided to go with a laser printer. I bought a Brother MFC-L2720DW when it went on sale for $165. Excellent printer. Worth every cent. I paid $40 for a toner cartridge that prints 2400 pages. It prints black only, photos don't look great, but text looks amazing and it prints really fast.

Brother MFC-L2720DW -
brother-usa.com/MFC/ModelDetail/4/MFCL2720DW/Overview

HP Envy 5540 -
store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-envy-5540-all-in-one-printer

>go to a photo store

I'm the user who told you that I had the same problem as you with not printing often and ink drying up. I told you I went with a laser. Black print only. When I need color photos, I send the jpegs to the chain pharmacy nearby (Walgreens) and pick them up within the hour. When I need color documents (very, very rare), I send them to the local FedEx-Kinkos and pick them up immediately.

Alright, so what's the most recommended LaserJet that will last a long time and is from HP because I do have a few Linux stations. Is it this one?: amazon.com/HP-Laserjet-M477fdw-Wireless-Printer/dp/B014CSKE7E/

Apparently it has acceptable photo quality which would be fine for my girlfriend.

Color laser printers are enormously expensive. That printer you linked to is close to $400.

I know, but I figure I could save up for a few months and get it then instead of buying a cheap Inkjet that will clog up.

Any of the Samsung laserprinters with a W in the end of the model number will do.

You absolutely have to get a black and white laser and avoid all inkjet printers at all cost. Those are all really expensive to own and they follow the gilette razor principle, the printer itself is cheap but the ink is overpriced and not worth it.

If you want to print out photos then you should go to one of the professional foto / printing shops and get that done. It's actually quite cheap for a few photos now and then, cheaper than buying the ink you need to do it yourself and the quality is a whole lot better.

Note that I am writing according to my own experiences and preferences here, I own a Samsung laser printer and those rate times I want a photo printed I do it at the local print shop.

This.

WRONG. A laser-printer costs slightly more initially but significantly less over time. And they just work. You can print a few pages and turn it off and leave it off for months and when you do need to print something you can - you don't find that those really expensive ink cartridges you bought have dried up and need to be replaced even though you've just printed 5 pages with them.

If your girlfriend needs to print something to hang on the walls then she should go to a photo store or print shop, they really don't charge very much and you will find that you can print a whole lot for the cost of one ink cartridge.

Wait, what????? You go to the ... pharmacy? for color.. prints? How did you figure out that they offer this service? And is it something they .. offer or something you can do because you know someone there or asked nicely?

even black toner for a color laser printer is going to be more expensive than just normal toner for a normal b&w printer.

So I suggest sticking with a normal b&w laser printer. I can second looking at Brother printers. (they are a reputable Japanese company).

Also look at a duplexing attachment. This lets you print on both sides of the page automatically. It is super handy, and you go through lots less paper. Truly underappreciated feature.

HP probably.
Stay away form brother, they used to be great but for some reason haven't made anything above shit tier in years.

>laserjet
>toner
Enjoy your ling cancer machines.

Interesting, thanks for the tips.

So finally, what would be the best Laser printer? At least under $300, to stretch my budget a little bit. It definitely needs good suppert on many devices and operating systems.

Dude for $300 you can get this fucking monster: store.hp.com/us/en/pdp/hp-color-laserjet-pro-mfp-m277dw

Literally the best home-office printer ever made.

Ink has been cheaper than laser for ages. Cartridges don't dry unless you store them open outside of the printer.

>Cartridges don't dry unless you store them open outside of the printer.

They do though.

>go to a photo store or print shop
>plugging your USB flash drive to a compromised machine that probably had previous USB flash drive plugged into it before
This like fucking a prostitute without condom, you get what you want but you risk getting STD.

>go to the ... pharmacy? for color.. prints? How did you figure out that they offer this service?

Printing photos for pennies is something the big commercial pharmacies have been doing for many years. Not sure what country you are from but here in the U.S. we have Walgreens, CVS, RiteAid, and others. They all have very mature photo printing services. You can send jpegs via their website, you can walk in there with jpegs on DVD or thumb drives, you can edit them in-store or on the website, and so on. Walmart, Costco, and other big box stores also offer photo printing. They all do it for dirt cheap , and fast. Most places you can pick up your pics in less than an hour.

photo.walgreens.com/store/welcome

>Ink
>Cheaper initial cost
>Will eventually break down very fast

>Laser
>Higher initial cost
>Will last you a lifetime

I have a cheap as fuck Brother J480DW, it's actually really good. In theory the Brother inkjet pump system is superior to cartridge-on-head designs, though I've heard from some of my customers that it will still dry up at the print head if you let it sit for a year or more. The cartridges last a good while and they're significantly cheaper than other brands.

If you want to avoid an inkjet drying the best practice is to print the occasional full color photo.

t. office supply store drone

>If you want to avoid an inkjet drying the best practice is to print the occasional full color photo.

How often? 1 every week?

As a GNU/Linux user I don't care, not even a little. There's absolutely zero risk with plugging in a USB stick or SD card that I am familiar with into any random computer & plugging it back into my system.

Unfamiliar "USB sticks" are another issue, they may be the USB Killer camouflaged and the choice of OS doesn't really help you if something sends lots of voltage back into your motherboard.

Thanks. This makes sense. Just got a bit amazed because I have never seen a single pharmacy in the EU which offers more than .. the usual pharmacy things (medicine and so on).

So true.

>There's absolutely zero risk with plugging in a USB stick or SD card that I am familiar with into any random computer & plugging it back into my system.
Where does this confidence come from?
I know besides malware intended to run on GNU/Linux, isn't plugging compromised USB flash drives into machines that have WINE/POL could infect your wineprefix?

A few days a go I plugged a USB flash drive, although it appeared empty, there was 90MB of used space, even GNU'Linux couldn't see a hidden folder that was made with windows.

>Look up the toner prices for this
>NOPE.JPEG

Fuck me. Are black & white laser toners much cheaper?

>There's absolutely zero risk
Unless the flash drive has malicious firmware that emulates an HID keyboard as well as a storage volume and starts installing malware, exfiltrating or deleting files, whatever. This is apparently a common alternative to autorun.

Yeah that's the problem with color printers. The toners are super fucking expensive.

The best option is to seriously get a B&W laser printer/scanner/copier and then go to a store for all your photo color needs.

>This is apparently a common alternative to autorun.
I thought GNU/Linux doesn't support autorun.inf files?
Also how do modern malware runs if you disable autorun features in windows?

like once every 3 months

This is the best and most cost-effective printer available right now.

amazon.com/HP-LaserJet-M125nw-Wireless-Printer/dp/B00GJEKHBS

Don't forget that many modern inkjets have the print heads separated from the cartridges and integrated into the carrier instead, so the system drying up ruins your entire printer instead of just $50 worth of cartridges.

Bought this beast 2 years ago and I'm pretty happy with it, way better and less fussy than HP printers I had in the past. Can do A3 as well.
epson.com/For-Work/Printers/Inkjet/Epson-WorkForce-WF-7610-All-in-One-Printer/p/C11CC98201

If you go inkjet, buy one with black, magenta, cyan and yellow cartridges, not he black and triple colour trash.

Alternative means other than. So since autorun.inf does not work anymore they can do this instead on windoze, linux, mac, etc.
USB keyboards are very widely used so there is no easy mitigation. It would be annoying to have to verify a code every time you plug in a keyboard or mouse. So it remains open.

You can get a basic laserjet for 50€, color laserjet (yes, there are) start at 120€ and it is way better than inkjet. Also i don't have an inkjet older than 5 years, while last year we dismissed pur first laserjet (HP 4m or something) and it was from 1994

I know that, I mean how the average malware get spread through USB flash drives on Windows machine if autorun was disabled without spoofing HID.

The only other way I can think of is if they found a 0day in windows usb drivers and exploited it. I think I read about this happening somewhere.

>0day
Sup Forums doesn't know anything about windows malware.

I have the brother hl-l2380dw. Bought it for around $80 last November. It's pretty easy to set up wireless printing. I do not need the scanning bed so I chose it instead of a similar model with no touchscreen but a bed for the same price. Cheap replacement toners as well.

dot matrix ribbon printer on a wireless cups server