RASPBERRY PI 3

Is it worth getting a raspberry pi to practice programming and learn about GNU/Linux?

Was looking at it an noticed it supports GENTOO and RASPBIAN.

Other urls found in this thread:

raspberrypi.org/learning/introduction-to-processing/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No. Just by one of the cheaper clones.

Yes I'm really impressed with the CS class my gf is taking at Community College. CIS 1 and they use a Raspberry Pi 3 to introduce people to programming concepts and computer architecture.

raspberrypi.org/learning/introduction-to-processing/

>Is it worth getting a raspberry pi to practice programming and learn about GNU/Linux?

If you live in Sierra Leona and will never be able to own a computer, sure.

USe a VM instead if all you want is learning

this, unless you're poor as fuck, get a used thinkpad.

>to practice programming and learn about GNU/Linux?
this fucking meme needs to die.

you don't need a raspi for either. You can do programming anywhere and learning about gahnoo slash loonix in a vm.

And in case you want to learn ARM assembly: buy a simple ARM board that is like an arudino and start on that, not on a meme board that required proprietary crapware to boot and as a computer outperformed by any other knockoff board and a P3 EEEpc.

to be really honest, yes
but not for the reason your going to be programming on the pi itself, since compiling on site is going to be really shit and slow on a ARM cpu, but learning from the experiences you get from making projects with the pi

as a practical tool the pi is really handy

>tfw you fell for the raspberry pi meme when you could just buy knockoffs at half the price

1. install virtualbox on your PC
2. install a linux distro in it

There, saved you 80 bucks and the troubles of having to set up/use the thing. And it's also much faster than the raspi

Get the RasPI Zero.

The "normal" Raspberry PI is overpriced (overpriced as in you can get better alternatives for the price, not for it being expensive)

FUCK linux, the real reason to get a raspberry pi is to run RISC OS and program in BBC BASIC, the best version of BASIC, and the best programming language in the history of programming

>teaching students how to things by just telling them to using the library that does 99% for them
yeah nah, absolute shit tier

>Is it worth getting a raspberry pi to practice programming and learn about GNU/Linux?

The RasPI is worth it, but for this reason? nope.
Just install Ubuntu Server on a VM and SSH it from your main OS.
You'll be getting pretty much the same experience without all the hassle and without paying shit.

Any odroid knockoffs that are cheap?

>introduction to processing
>open the processing application
>type one line
>congratulations, you have drawn a line/ellipse/square!
So learning.

At least you aren't a weeaboo

>get zero
>get adapters so you can plug anything into it
>end up paying more for inferior hardware

If he just wants to learn loonix he just needs an AC adapter (which, considering it uses a normal phone adapter, he probably has one already)

Or just run a VM and save TEN BUX

What if he wants to do GPIO programming as well?

Doubt it, he would have mentioned it in the OP.

But even if he was and considering he's a total newbie, he'd be better off getting an Arduino.

No. Odroid might be worth a buy because it's simply better than rPi, but buying an sbpc to "learn" shit is a meme. Don't fall for it.

Also DON'T do this
VMs have a miserable performance when compared to actually running an OS, unless you spend some time managing a pci passthrough. And even then they still may be unusable at times. You should only run a VM if you have a high end PC.
Instead of running a VM, use a live USB or install Linux on another drive and dual boot.

zomg such a resource hog only gaymer pcs can run it!!!!

You're not running an OS in it.

Raspi is a fucking great way to learn *nix. Learn how to tweak and slim your build. Try running a tshock terraria server or something for a friend or two. Max the OC, free the ram. Swap out parts for smaller mem footprints.

its so much fun to tweak and fiddle with. Getting it tweeting something stupid like temp or load is fun too. they are neat little things to have on your network to play with via ssh

I wish I knew if employers for embedded programming positions are impressed with projects on raspberry pi.

Cant tell if it mattered that much, but i added a few Arduino projects of mine in my resume to get my actual job as a programmer, i dont have a master degree so it was my only way to prove i can "do stuff"

>486MB RAM
I don't think anyone wants a barely functional OS in a VM, especially for learning about the OS. Which just proves the point, the virtualized OS will be unbearable. There's really no reason to use a VM instead of live USB booting unless you want to make the installation permanent and even then you can just dual boot.

raspberry pi has so many resources though

micros you'll be using in your career are so much harder to even get up and running

>tfw i want to be an embedded programmer but i took the wrong courses in college and it's too late now and i'll probably end up in a manufacturing plant somewhere and overdose on painkillers because i hate life

>Barely functional

I run apache2, bind9 and many other daemons on it.
I gave it 4gb at first but it runs smooth as hell, even like this, im sure i could go as low as 256mb and would still work.
And good luck working on a live USB, even with with persistence enabled its shitty as hell.

No. People buy them because they're small, have GPIO pins which make them useful as programmers, are very energy efficient, and reasonably powerful for 40 dolans. They're also quiet since they're fan-less. People do not buy them for the software. ARM is rather limiting and not the greatest platform for beginners. Buy a cheap x86 laptop used for like $30 on ebay and you'll get something about as powerful. Alternatively, run GNU/Linux in a VM or partition your hard drive and install it.

>by
I think you mean "buy"

>open math book
>1+1=2!
>so learning!
>realize you aren't learning anything so close math book
>unable to gain entry to calculus and differential equations
>unable to engineer anything at all
>work at McDonalds

get a pi if you want to learn hardware interfacing I2C ,SPI,UART,etc and dont want to be bothered with having to reflash your device as with an arduino.

otherwise duel boot linux with wubbi or whatever

I don't think any math books start at 1+1 because most children learn that much before learning to read words.

So you wasted $20 by not getting a knockoff? Not the worst thing in the world, honestly.

>VMs have a miserable performance when compared to actually running an OS, unless you spend some time managing a pci passthrough

>Implying OP gives a hoot and a holler about PCI devices working in their guest OS.
>Implying debian or some other *nix won't run well with 2 cores and a couple geebees in a VM

TFW the unexpected factorial actually works out

What's a good knock-off to buy? Every alternative I see is either equivalent in specs and price or is much more expensive.

orange pis > raspis