Why the fuck is it so difficult to create windows install media from linux...

why the fuck is it so difficult to create windows install media from linux, but it's piss easy to create linux install media from windows? i shouldn't have to compile winusb just to do this.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.congelli.eu/prog_info_winusb.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>not installing windows 10 into a virtual machine on linux and using usb passthrough to create a bootable usb drive with the official software

pleb confirmed

just extract the .iso?

Where exactly is it hard to create a bootable media (usb drive) under linux?
> Download ISO file
> dd if=windows.iso of=/dev/sdb
> boot
Where exactly is this harder than under windows?

that doesn't work you fucking retard

Well, works for me ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Seems like you're doing something wrong

extract .iso to fat32 USB and it's bootable from UEFI but not legacy BIOS

dd is a shitfest and doesn't let me dump the drivers for the target computer on the usb drive nor does it format the usb correctly. fucks up partitions too.

format usb as ntfs for bios, fat32 for uefi
drag and drop contents of iso
set boot flag on partition
done

HE IS A COP
AND HE'S LEARNING IMPAIRED
HE'S THE
RETARDED
POLICEMAN

> doesn't let me dump the drivers for the target computer on the usb drive

It kinda sounds like you tried to dd drivers to the drive, so a .zip file or something? You can only write .iso files to a usb drive with dd, and if the partitions are fucked up the iso image is fucked up.
Still, beside dd there are other ways.
Googled it and got this:
en.congelli.eu/prog_info_winusb.html
Maybe worth a try

you dont have to compile anything
you're just the pic you posted you fucking potato

>dd iso onto usb
>drive is no write protected
>forcing rw deletes the contents of the drive
>can't put drivers on usb

Never had that problem honestly.
But yeah, if you run into this problem, its more work to solve. If you're familiar with cli and fdisk/mkfs its only 1 minute, but still sucks.

modify the iso first, you potato

What do you mean you've never had that problem? If you do what you are telling me to do:
dd bs=4M if=/path/to/.iso of=/dev/sd then you should have this problem every single time. dding an iso write protects the drive.
Doesn't this prove my point from the OP?

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

No, I actually honestly didn't. Just googled and it seems like this affects some usb drives by certain brands, but not every usb drive. I guess I'm just lucky then.

Still, maybe try
sudo hdparm -r0 /dev/sdb

I just compiled winUSB and it worked fine. Was able to make a directory for the drivers and everything. Still needlessly annoying.

resulting installer is bootable on both old BIOS (MBR) and new (UEFI).

Format drive FAT32 and mark with the boot and esp (EFI system partition) using parted + mkfs or similar
Mount -o loop the iso and copy the contents of the Windows .iso to the USB.
As of this point it is UEFI bootable; UEFI needs only FAT32 with a boot file /efi/boot/bootx64.efi or whatever
Now using run command df and make a note of drive name (e.g. /dev/sdb) and mount point (e.g. /media/user/BE5D-5478/)
Now run ls -l /dev/disk/by-uuid/ and note your drive's UUID, e.g. BE5D-5478.
Now install the bootloader with sudo grub-install --force --target=i386-pc --boot-directory="//boot" /dev/sdX
filling in your drive name and mountpoint
On the USB, create the file grub.cfg in the folder /boot/grub/ with contents asbelow
In the grub.cfg change the string after --set=root on line 10 to your UUID from step 5 making sure there is a space after root. e.g. --set=root EC5A-1198
You can also change the text in quotes after menuentry to customize text that shows on bootloader selection.

GRUB.CFG: (do not include this line)

default=1
timeout=15
color_normal=white/blue
menu_color_normal=blue/white
menu_color_highlight=red/light-cyan

menuentry "BIOS/MBR boot detected. Press enter for Windows 10 install." {
insmod search_fs_uuid
insmod ntldr
search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root EC5A-1198
ntldr /bootmgr
}

menuentry "No thanks. Just boot from the first hard drive" {
insmod ntfs
insmod chain
insmod part_msdos
insmod part_gpt
set root=(hd1)
chainloader +1
boot
}

I'm terribly sorry for interjecting another moment, but what I just told you is GNU/Linux is, in fact, just Linux, or as I've just now taken to calling it, Just Linux. Linux apparently does happen to be a whole operating system unto itself and comprises a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Most computer users who run the entire Linux operating system every day already realize it. Through a peculiar turn of events, I was misled into calling the system "GNU/Linux", and until now, I was unaware that it is basically the Linux system, developed by the Linux project.

There really isn't a GNU/Linux, and I really wasn't using it; it is an extraneous misrepresentation of the system that's being used. Linux is the operating system: the entire system made useful by its included corelibs, shell utilities, and other vital system components. The kernel is already an integral part of the Linux operating system, never confined useless by itself; it functions coherently within the context of the complete Linux operating system. Linux is never used in combination with GNU accessories: the whole system is basically Linux without any GNU added, or Just Linux. All the so-called "GNU/Linux" distributions are really distributions of Linux.