/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/ - PC Building General-- LTT Edition
Post your component list, rate other anons', ask questions.

State the purpose of your PC, your budget, AND YOUR COUNTRY if outside the USA.
If you are asking for improvements, clarify whether you want to lower price or improve specs.
List the games or software you use most often.
Use common sense and put some effort into your queries.
GOOGLE IT FIRST

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons by vendor and compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com
>General build advice including chipset compatibility, power supply advice (which is pretty outdated/shit), Windows activation information.
pastebin.com/F9diF2hA (embed)
>Semi-outdated information about how to assemble a PC, how to select components, etc.
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

>Pentium G4560 remains the best if your budget is only around $500.
>The Ryzen 1700 is the only R7 worth purchasing.
>i5 edges out R5 for gaming, R5 wins in apps.
>i3 are no longer worth getting with ZERO exceptions. The budget choice is the G4560. Otherwise get an i5/r5.
>Whoever saying locked i5s were useless were hedging on great R5 performance... oh well.
>The R5 1600 is the best all around chip for the price, it's a better choice than an R7 for gaming.
>RX 500 series around 10% better than 400s
>for budget builds, consider a mATX setup for case/mobo savings
>RX 550 not worth it over 460 for esports builds

There's been a huge upswing in disinformation in these threads, and in the community in general. At the end of the day, YOU are the one who loses if you take bad advice.

Watch out for falsified infographics/benchmarks

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/4dQW8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/9qCXGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/LHYGRG
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rw2T3F
twitter.com/AnonBabble

That kid is going to commit suicide in a few years.

should I get an 8 gb RX 580 or a 4 gb RX 580, all I play is CSGO and LOL but I want it to last a long time, also I'm on a tight budget ($750)

true

he is rich he won't. He will waste time with games but he will also recive tone of education and traning forced on him by his parents, he will be going to extra lessons/clubs etc. each and every day and his mom will drive him there. He will be happy all his life and end up as your boss.
Poor people commit suicide.
t.poor person

rich people can commit suicide too.

t. rich person

That's bold, coming from a literal poorfag. Look kid, I grew up in Scottsdale, and while I may be privileged, rich people still commit suicide. All the material possessions in the world don't mean shit if your mental health is shit. Look at that kid and his smile, and his dead eyes. He's clearly not happy.

u are so wrong my man

can someone red pill me on sky lake and ryzen? which one is better

I see i offended some special snowflakes.
>rich people can commit suicide too.
yes they can but its rare
Not a right board to school you on about psychology sociology economic and it correlation.
>rich people still commit suicide.
and it makes it in to news because its rare and unexpected
>mental health is shit.
funny because
>material possessions in the world
are connected

>Look at that kid and his smile, and his dead eyes
its forced smile he literally dont give a fuck about 1080 sli his parents bought him
it wont make maincraft run any faster than it is now on what ever 980ti or simmilar he has instaled.

>better
netiher really

sky lake is better for pure gaming but ryzen is better for if you want stuff in the background or apps and shit
the only i5 I would get is a 6600k (and oc it)
only i7 I would get is a 6700k (and oc it)
and pentium g4560 is king of budget until ryzen r3 comes along, which could dethrone it
ryzen 1400 is not worth getting in my opinion
neither is the 1500
but the 1600 is perfect if you are a stream boy

1700 is the best of current procs I would buy, as 8 cores and 16 threads, and I render and number crunch more than I play vidya

need anything else

price point?
application?
Intel has higher ipc and better virtual core's technology
amd has more cores in general for the price

ryzen for apps, skylake/kaby for gaming

What's better for light gaming (no competitive shit, most single player RPGs) and keeping 20 tabs open at once?

>light gaming (no competitive shit, most single player RPGs) and keeping 20 tabs open at once
get ryzen 1600

pcpartpicker.com/list/4dQW8K

Wanting to upgrade from an i3 2100 that has 8gb ddr3. Have a 1tb WD black drive, and a 1050 GTX that I dont plan on upgrading for 1-2 years.

Prime uses: gaming on my 1600x1200 res monitor (lol), with some video editing on the side as a hobby.

Thoughts on the RAM? Would like to shave off money on the RAM and SSD if possible.

ripjawz ram

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4dQW8K
this and change ssd to sandisk plus 240gb

looks fine

durr

>durr
not that user, but what did you mean by this? (sorry for bad english)

means he's just giving the brainless recommendation

Ryzen 1600
but you could probably do that with a 1500x

4gb

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4dQW8K
looks about right

Any input on this before I buy the rest of the parts?

>I have a cooler from current build
>have drives from current build

pcpartpicker.com/list/9qCXGf

>i7
wew lad

looks good.

>i7
>2017
RETARD ALERT

Enjoy gaming on the best rig you could build m8.
Just watch your cpu temps the first few days and see how she runs.

where's your cpu cooler?

whoops, can't read

i'm giving him the correct recommendation

if cs go is trully all you play go for 4gb

but
>i want it to last
suggest that it isnt the case so get 8gb
4 core ryzen are really bad value proposition

Best performance CPU for gaming/emulatin?
I do occasionally dick around with drawings and shit, but nothing like video editing. Maybe might stream vidya for friends to watch.
I also just browse the internet alot, but that's not really a factor in a cpu.

I'm thinking maybe i7.

Also, liquid cooler. Y/N? I'm thinking of getting a noctua of some kind, but if the difference is that much I may consider it.

Also thinking of getting a nice midtower. Preferably with dust filters and at least one drive bay (lotta dry days where I live sometimes). Enthoo pro M looks nice, but I heard something about lack of hdd bays for it?

also

>budget

Don't worry about it. I'm literally sitting on four digits worth of cast atm.

Hit me.

I want to get a blower style overclocked 1080Ti. I'm stuck between getting an Asus Turbo or and MSI Aero. Can anyone help me decide and provide evidence for their argument?

I'm lost, i never come to Sup Forums, but was wondering, what's the best anti-virus for linux mint/ubuntu with realtime(tm) threat protection? asking for a friend.
>inb4 none

Is... is he playing 3 different games of Minecraft at once? Each screen is different

>4 core ryzen are really bad value proposition
Yeah, but still better value than an i5 if someone can't spend the extra $40 for a 1600 and/or doesn't want to overclock.

if your goal is "muh frame rate", the only things that matter are the gpu and cpu. you are wasting money on your power supply, case, ram, and mobo. If you bought the bare minimum for these you could have the same frame rate for a fraction of the cost, by only "splurging" on the cpu/gpu.

>skimping on your PSU and motherboard
>for a k processor
Are you retarded?
And no, my goal was to have an all around nice build.

PSU die often, they are vulnerable and even the best ones die every year or two. you're wasting money friendo.
>motherboard
are you actually plugging a card in that isn't your gpu? if the answer is no you are spending wayyyyy too much on your mobo.

I mean, my argument here is obviously based on "bang for the buck" so if you're a rich fag and literally don't care, please stop me.

>PSU die often, they are vulnerable and even the best ones die every year or two.
Holy fuck, have you never bought a PSU for more than $30? A good one should last well over four or five years. Look at all the OEM ones that have lasted decades.

>are you actually plugging a card in that isn't your gpu? if the answer is no you are spending wayyyyy too much on your mobo.
Yes, and extra PCI slots are not what you get for spending more. I'm planning to overclock and a $50 board will hinder that dramatically.

>PSU die often, they are vulnerable and even the best ones die every year or two

hows this build for light gaming and music production?
pcpartpicker.com/list/LHYGRG

i already own the psu, case, hard drive and any other peripherals im mainly just trying to decide on a good budget gpu

>pcpartpicker.com/list/LHYGRG
get 1600 instead of 1500
get 580 8gb instead of 570 4gb

>light gaming
is dumb term because its the casual games that demand the most resources you can run cs go on potato and be pro at it

>even the best ones die every year or two
user, for everyone's sanity, please stop posting.

what i meant by light gaming is that im not looking to run the newest triple a games at ultra settings 4k resolution as soon as they come out.

what kind of advantages does the 1600 have over the 1500? to me it looked like it would be a very minimum increase.

>4gb

longevity here and now with gpus in your price range you wont feel much of a difference but cpu usually goes through 2 or even 3 gpu swaps so it is worth to pay up a little bit. Especially since you get 50% phisical cores.
>triple a games at ultra settings 4k resolution
good because you wont now get 580 8gb and seve yourself buyer remorses

we are talking about vram and he specifically pointed the gpu model you can get away with 460 2gb if you only play cs go but that's beside the point

While it's true PSU's are usually the first thing to go and croak on you, a good one can easily last for years. user is exaggerating a bit.

Getting one that's a little more than you need may not be a bad idea. A little extra breathing room can't hurt.

Note I said a -little- breathing room. You don't get a 1200 watt PSU when all you need is like 500. That's just stupid.
A 550 or 600 would be more reasonable.

you don't need a $200 psu that's gonna crap out in 2 years, why not piss your money away on something else that might never break? also a 600w is overkill.

OP don't listen to any of these unknowledgeable richfags who have no idea what "budget conscious" means. A psu that does the job and costs $60 is all you need, plan to replace it in a few years, certainly replace it when you get random shutdowns and weird noises from your case - lest you find yourself relacing your overpriced mobo too.

you literally don't need any anti-virus on linux m8.

>$200

My PSU was about $70 when I bought it in like 2013 and it still works flawlessly.

I7-7700hq vs 7820hk in a laptop.

Either will be pasted with liquid metal. I keep hearing the 7820 runs hot. Is it worth it for $125 more with a gtx 1070 as the gpu?

Forgot to add, main purpose is gaming. Mostly battlefield games and triple a titles

cool story bro.

>battlefield games and triple a titles
kys

Help:

So I have a X99 motherboard and a 5960X CPU. I turned it off after months of non-stop work to install a new SSD. When booting it up, I get q code 14, so it won't even post. Re-sitting the CPU makes it get stuck on q code 13 instead, but removing the cmos battery and putting it back in brings it back to getting stuck on q code 14.

I've tried absolutely everything to get this shit to work, it randomly booted once in one of the attempts, but I think that was totally random.

I've tried:

- Removing absolutely everything but the CPU and its cooler, still q code 14
- Removing all RAM (still q code 14)
- Building motherboard, CPU and cooler outside the case
- Blaming the jews
- Intense googlin'
- Cleaning the CPU pins with 99% isopropyl alcohol

Nothing changes this goddamn error but removing the goddamn CPU (which then you get q code 00).

Any ideas on what else I could try?

Also, cooler is a H115i

what happened the last time it worked when it stopped working? you probably have a hardware failure of some kind, probably memory. reseat your ram sticks bro, try singles, try different slots.

Already tried messing with the sticks (putting only one in A1, etc.), from the q code it seems to happen before any memory initialization takes place.

I forgot to mention, the "CPU_LED" turns on, so most likely if it's a hardware error it's either in the CPU or motherboard.

I bought another motherboard in hopes that's what's broken, but it only arrives on Monday.

so i should get the 1600 570 combo rather then the 1500 580 combo?

>WAAH IM SOOO RICH MY LIFE IS SOOOOO HARD I HAVE TOO MUCH MONEY LET ME KILL MYSELF
the more entitled rich shits commit suicide the better

>apps on a pc
nigga end yourself

if you absolutelly cant afford 1600 + 580
than i dunno choice is yours

but first try to save up on other components chances are you picked overprice case or ssd

hell you can even skip ssd entairly for the time being and add it month or two down the line
you wont do that with cpu or gpu upgrade

>gaming
>laptop

i already have a case and a hard drive. im just trying to upgrade my build since my gpu fan is starting to break so ill probably end up buying just the gpu at first and the upgrading the rest once i get a couple more paychecks. i was really just wondering which was more important that i upgrade

Samsung 960 EVO M.2 250GB
>$188
WD M.2 Green 240GB
>$119
WD M.2 Blue 250GB
>$139

which one? does it even matter at all?
(prices in kangaroo dollars)

>i was really just wondering which was more important that i upgrade
both are important
saving on cpu gives instant byst but take its revange in futrure
saving on gpu instantly drops your frame rates and or quality setings

>so ill probably end up buying just the gpu at first and the upgrading the rest once i get a couple more paychecks
so its not an issue get r5 1600

If you can keep your gpu do cpu/mboard/ram upgrade first since couple months from now gpu market may or may not be entairly different
may be your choice wont be 580 but small vega or gtx 2060 who knows

as for cpus we know that nothing new will come out in at last a year

but if you cant keep your gpu than upgrade it now to 580 8gb and buy cpu later

>SDD
unless you are a rich fag there is no reason to get one of these - unless you prefer having an 1/8th of the capacity and 4x the price.

Read the OP of the real thread

>rich fag
come on its 2000 and 17
ssd is a must for system drive
i recommended skipping it just 2 posts up
but i did recomended skipping it for time being if someone is on budget because its easy to add later there for not worth to cut on cpu/gpu just to fit it in initial build.
But SSD is real quality of life improver and briliat upgrade to any pc that has sata III port.

>PSU die often, they are vulnerable and even the best ones die every year or two.
What the fuck happened to Sup Forums? I go away for a couple of months and this is the quality of posts nowadays?

M gonna buy a fx 3820.

I already have an SSD for my OS
I'm going to replace a 1tb HDD which is 10 years old now with an 256gb SSD and a 3tb HDD
It'll host my programs and games with unused games sitting on the 3tb one
So I'm not wondering whether or not to get one, I'm wondering if any of the three listed has any relevant advantages over the other, as it after looking into it seems to me as if they are all the same

Would love some suggestions for this before I buy it.
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/rw2T3F
thnx u

Is it a big fps loss buying a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 Mini ITX compared to something like a Refurbished 1080 FTW?

Would the warranty loss be a big deal from a refurbished to a new one?

>LED RAM

>Ended up doing the walk of shame with my computer to the store and handing it over to them since I couldn't fix it myself

Is there a worse feel?

pic related, me how I felt after troubleshooting the computer after hours of trying out fixes and asking for help from here and other places

hello this is a duplicate thread the right one is at
last post here was one hour ago

You don't need an AV, just secure your router