Windows 7

I finally said fuck everything and re-installed Windows 7 on my Home desktop PC. What are your must-have programs and utilities Sup Forums?

Other urls found in this thread:

ninite.com/
launchy.net/
getsharex.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

gentoo

Launchy

What is it?

I just remembered Sup Forums used to recommend Ninite. Is it still any good?

chocolatey

7zip, Waterfox / Pale Moon / Vivaldi (pick one), Steam, paint.net, Musicbee, Microsoft Security Essentials, LibreOffice / MS Office, f.lux

Use AIMP instead of musicbee

SeaMonkey

No

Winamp

League of Legends

Windirstat, 7zip, Process Explorer, xnview, Sumatra PDF, cpu-z, MPC, Kodi, dosbox, PCem, windowsblinds, flu.x, Rufus, PowerISO, qbittorrent, probably more but this is all I can think of right now.

>use classic theme
>use software that doesn't support it
y tho

Cmder
>If you are a loonix guy and want a much, much better terminal on windows (includes a few loonix binaries and bash support)

mpv
>Best video/audio player

youtube-dl
>Your best mpv companion

ffmpeg
>Pretty much the only video converter you need

Sublime Text
>...

Fritzing
>If you are into embedded devices or just use the breadboard a lot

Ask Sup Forums

these two have good suggestions

get yourself displayfusion for multi-monitor software, shit's so cash

Violasoft AV

Rensenware

Firefox/Nightly/Opera
7zip
bomi/mpv/vlc
Clementine
WPS/Libre/MS Office
Paint.NET/GIMP
Spybot Anti-Beacon
Windows firewall control

7-Zip
AIMP
FireFox
Paint.NET
Process Explorer
VLC

Why are you installing an EOL operating system?

>EOL
Not until (at least) October 2021

My PC is 2 years old as of April 2017, which is this month. If it's true that Windows 7 is supported until 2021 then all the more reason for me to keep using it even though it's "old." The new versions are fucking garbage. It's bad enough keeping ads out of the websites I visit, I don't need them in my actual OS.

>I finally said fuck everything and re-installed Windows 7

Wow. So brave, Your mom should be proud of you.

>he doesn't know you can disable ads
Why is neo-Sup Forums full of tech illiterate retards who think they're good at tech just because they can build a PC (which is just Legos for adults)?

>ads
>implying this is the only problem

and cancer UI

Ironically, I've probably been on Sup Forums longer than you, you piece of shit. Old Sup Forums would never put up with this bullshit you try to accept and "fix" in Windows 10. Come to think of it, I actually never installed Windows 10 on my desktop, after I got through 8 and 8.1 I never bothered tto update it. And last week I finally said fuck it all and devoted a couple hours to rolling back to 7, and here we are.

And yeah, there are more problems than just the ads as anyone with half a brain would know.

Msys32

>calling others neo Sup Forums
>puts up with assfuckery of the highest order
That's the funny thing about newfags, they act like they're better

Can you buy a legit copy? I dont want a russian botnet ootb.

>chrome
already fucked up m8

nigga Safari was discontinued after 5

What else should I use?

firefox

it's to late user, chromebook has my everything. I really can't see a reason why I should trust firefox with my user data. I have an account but I always feel averse to logging in. I'll probably use Firefox for development purposes so I already had it installed earlier, but I don't think I'll ditch chrome for it at all, sorry

Lets you set key combos to launch applications and stuff. Not anything like Ninite. Ninite is for bulk-installing software you want.

ninite.com/
launchy.net/

Touhou.

Final burn alpha
Mame 0.185
Retroarch
:^)

getsharex.com/
also available on Ninite

Too bloated.

My suggestions, as I have tried and tested almost each and every possible combination:

> Iridium Browser / Firefox
> - Extensions: Violentmonkey, uBlock, Smart HTTPs, Sup Forums-x, Stylechan
> MPC-HC
> SumatraPDF
> Vim + Sublime Text
> 7zip
> Winamp
> Thunderbird (yes, better than Outlook and FossaMail, it only consumes 100mb of RAM and with ClassicTB2 extension looks soo comfy)
> paint.NET
> f.lux
> Everything (file indexer and searcher)
> MS Office 2013 (I work in finance and cannot do without Excel, sry)
> Anaconda 3.61 (Python bundle for data analysis, which includes everything I need for work)

That's it.

What's the problem with the new ui? Your pic just shows that the new one is more beautiful

a non-botnet browser

The new UI is crap, unintuitive and poorly designed. Worst part is that you're constantly bouncing between the two control panels. On top of that the new on does not support multiple instances.

8.1 > 7 > 10 > 8

like dmenu but this one works on linux. Also let's you add whatever program you want with a keyword and as many arguments you want to include or write yourself pressing tab.

7 > 10LTSB2015 > 10LTSB2016 > a pile of shit > 8.1 > 10

What's a good screen recording utility?
Preferably one that outputs webm

>screen recording utility
FRAPS can capture DWM on Windows 7. For conversion use ffmpeg.

wox is better

>a pile of shit > 8.1
Why though? Because Metro? 8.1 is way faster than 7 and you can still disable telemetry unlike 10

Performance is actually the same on all 7, 8.1 and 10. Within the margin of error. If anything 7 pulls ahead slightly. Also 7 can disable desktop composition, doesn't have store, telemetry or cloud integration.

People used XP past the EOL as well and they were totally fine. Hackers are choosing to target machines that net them the best results. No one is focusing that much attention to exploiting the remaining users of an outdated system. W7 will likely be supported for more years than 2021 because there will still be a significant portion using it just like what happened with XP.

>3 screens
>1 taskbar

Not talking about games here. It's significantly faster at many important operations, like transferring large files and booting to desktop. It also runs more efficiently on legacy hardware than 7.

If you only care about gaming, get Windows 10; at least then you can play those XBone ports like Gears of War 4.

Why 2015>16?

AltDrag and AquaSnap

All other software is for getting things done at work or for my college degree.

>transferring large files
They're the same. I know, I usually trasfer large files (about 600GB worth of files) and both 7 and 10LTSB2016 transfer the same as I have them in dual boot.

>booting to desktop
My PC boots in 6 or 7 seconds on all Windows versions. I have a 3770k and an Intel 530 SSD.

I have other benchmarks too which also include more CPU intensive tasks.

Imo both are trash compared to 7, but 2015 feels more polished and less buggy overall. More consistent too. There's also some audio issues with 2016 *also present in Server 2016) regarding WASAPI 32-bit float clipping if you pause for about 30 seconds and resume.

firefox nightly + ublock origin + disconnect.me + sometimes umatrix, https everywhere
chromium for facebook ads manager

veracrypt
keepass password manager
ccleaner
malwarebytes free + malwarebytes adwcleaner
sumatra PDF
CCCP + MPV
foobar2000
qbittorrent
sublime text
putty
filezilla ftp
virtualbox
ipvanish vpn client
photoshop + illustrator + indesign + muse

What am I doing wrong?

>Windows 7
Mate the thing is like 8 years old. It's obsolete.

Here's your five Bing points and the two rupees, Raj

>2017
>not using Common Senseā„¢
kill yourself

apparently pointing out that windows 7 is old as fuck makes me a microsoft shill.
fuck off

>microsoft shill
No, it makes you a pajeet. Or rather gives it away.

im from slovenia moron

>Rufus
My man

thats not how you spell bombay, pajeet

windows 10

If you compared 7 to 8.1 on a PC with a traditional HDD instead of an SSD, you would notice quite a difference in transfer speeds, boot times and overall responsiveness. 8 is much more sly and efficient about all forms of caching. The whole OS was majorly tweaked for general performance because it was designed from the get-go to be able to run smoothly on shitty tablets. It definitely runs faster on my old Athlon 64 X2 desktop than Windows XP, Vista or 7 did (and I'd tried the other three version just before installing it).

But sure, the difference is not so noticeable if you have very fast modern hardware anyway (especially an SSD). All versions will feel almost the same speed on that

>Windows 7
>Obsolete
Then how come it still runs pretty much all modern software? Just because it's old doesn't mean it's bad. Hell, even XP isn't obsolete.

>Hell, even XP isn't obsolete.
I hope you're joking

XP can still run some modern software.

I did try it in the past on a laptop with a Core 2 Duo P8700 and a HDD, it felt the same, same boot times (funny, boot times seemed actually longer on clean 8.1 than on a two year old 7 installation), same performance Worse battery life as I could not disable desktop composition in 8, unlike 7.

Is Windows Blinds Sup Forums approved?
or is it shit?

>write an otherwise decent and logical list of recommended applications
>ruin it by shilling for a proprietary browser that's a known Chinese botnet
>(((Opera)))

Whatever you normally use? Fucking dumbass.