Why is near impossible to convert MKV to MP4? It's always the same shit...

Why is near impossible to convert MKV to MP4? It's always the same shit, every tutorial requires you to download 2-3 programs that they don't do shit.

Other urls found in this thread:

xmedia-recode.de/en/index.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

ffmpeg

The command line is a pleb filter

Handbrake has worked just fine for me.

ffmpeg -i shit.mkv -c:a copy -c:v copy shit.mp4
So fucking hard.

>falling for the "if I claim something is hard, the nerds will spoonfeed me how to do it" scam

Idiots, especially you .

Being able to install and use ffmpeg itself is an idiot filter.
I doubt what I posted will actually be of any use to him at all.

What is the best to convert videos for youtube? I'm using
ffmpeg -ss 00:00:00 -i "file.mp4" -t 00:00:00 -c:v libx264 -preset slow -profile:v high -crf 10 -c:a copy -pix_fmt yuv420p "output.mkv"
should I change something? Not OP by the way, just curious since I don't use ffmpeg much

Doesn't youtube host H.264 anyway? Use youtube-dl to get the H.264 version of the video.

I mean for uploading, something that I recorded in mp4 and want to convert to what's best for youtube, I've been using that but I wanted better quality without having extremely large files.

Does it even matter what you upload? I thought youtube reencodes everything anyway.

It doesn't matter what MKV file I use, I always get "No such file or directory"

demux remux

You... You need to go to that specific directory to do that you dumbass

mkdir code
cd code

Why are you copying the audio and video codecs separately?

i always use this

>transcoding
Ew

ffmpeg -i input.mkv -c:v copy -c:a aac -strict experimental -b:a 128k -ac 2 -scodec copy output.mp4
Use this for quickly converting. Will reduce audio quality somewhat, but not by an important amount unless you're an autistic audiophile.

What can't read mkv?

>using ffmpeg's AAC encoder
>128k

Autistic audiophile spotted.

Acoustic audiophile.

Why waste 20 minutes encoding higher quality audio when the differences are practically unnoticeable?

Oh, I forgot; people with autism are more sensitive to sounds.

You idiot MKV is just a wrapper that can contain more formats than MP4.

If your shitty MKV has some DTS track just convert it to AC3 or something and then do a direct copy of the video track.

Just demux the MKV and then convert audio individually and then remux to MP4.

I use iFFMPEG on macOS and it does all this shit automatically.

Why the fuck would you convert high end audio to 128kb shitty AAC you fucking idiot?

At least set it to 448 or something. AAC supports 5.1.

I prefer going from DTS-MASTER to AC3 since I sometimes connect to my home theater system and it doesn't support AAC (most amplifiers don't).

Also MP4s don't support DTS etc. Only AAC, MP3 and AC3.

ffmpeg recently got a new AAC encoder based on the Fraunhofer FDK AAC encoder.

AV1 fucking when?

Because it's a lot quicker duh.

I'm using a 1-core CPU server to quickly torrent a movie in decent quality and then I stream it. I don't want to wait an extra 30 minutes to download it directly, and I sure as fuck don't want to wait an extra 20 minutes converting.

He's not calling it and it's not in every build.

> waste 20 minutes
> looking at the screen while transcoding
> practically unnoticeable
you clearly ruined your ears with those ipod earbuds

ffmpeg if you want to automate it
handbrake if you need to do it a few times.

You're an idiot if you use 128kb AAC.

Audio is literally 50% of the picture.

Kys. You probably torrent from Yify.

>OP is stupid and ignorant at the same time
>doesn't define what "convert" means in his/her/its usage
>MKV and MP4 are containers
>you can easily swap the contents inside the containers with each other with no quality loss
>it's not transcoding which takes serious processor power to accomplish aka "re-encoding from one format to another"
>using ffmpeg as instructed with just one simple command will swap the contents losslessly between containers
>stupid fucking people will be the death of us all

It takes 5 minutes to download, and 2 minutes to convert if there was no .mp4 version available. It's worth sacrificing a little bit of audio quality for.

Perhaps your high sensitivity to audio has gotten the better of you since it's causing you to waste so much time.

>You probably torrent from Yify.
I do. It's always .mp4 and saves me time. Time is money, which is something you autists will not understand until you stop collecting NEETbux.

>Downloads 1.3GB 1080p BD rips

You're literally a degenerate and should kys.

Go buy more drives you cheap fuck.

I already have 20TB in external HDDs and have only used 3TB. Most are for backups, and backups of backups. My work and time is important.

Being a "cheap fuck" makes me more successful. I bet your only accomplishment is growing mushrooms in you oversized belly button from a lack of cleaning your obese self. I'll kill myself the day you find a decent looking girl that cares about audio bitrates as much as you do.

Dude you're an idiot.

Why do you think I have a lot of free time? And that I'm not doing well? You assume too much you neckbeard.

I can remotely set up torrent downloads from anywhere on earth to my home server from my phone on a coffee break. When I get home all the downloads are ready.

>You not being this efficient and smart

Just kys

>Why do you think I have a lot of free time? And that I'm not doing well?
Because you care so deeply about audio bitrates. It's more of an observation than an assumption, since it would require an extremely lonely individual to have such passion over a small difference in audio quality.

>I can remotely set up torrent downloads from anywhere on earth to my home server from my phone on a coffee break. When I get home all the downloads are ready.
>You not being this efficient and smart
I can't believe you think it requires smarts to download torrents remotely. Are you really proud of yourself for that or just trolling?

If you don't care about audio you're a dumbass.

Good 1080 rips are between 7GB-11GB. Good 720p rips are 4-5GB.

Audio is literally 50% of the picture.

Just do us a favor and kys.

Next map de_stroyed

Continously saying "kys" and "literally" just proves to me you're a child and invalidates your opinions instantly.

Nobody cares about audio that much you sick faggot

>Continuously being a faggot

Maybe take a bath and clean your ears sometime you tasteless fucking normie

>getting this upset over audio quality

Most definitely OP is skirting the real issue that X video-editor doesnt accept/recognize mkb, so instead complains nothing with babby-gui easily and efficiently converts to mp4.

people who use .mp4 should an hero

This.

128k aac is plenty for stereo, though

MP4 doesn't support anything other than AC3, MP3 and AAC. And subtitles and M4V (H264 video track).

MKV supports a shitton formats so audio especially has to be converted. But that usually is not super processor intensive and doesn't take too much time compared to video.
No it's not idiot. 320Kb AAC at least.

Not everyone is as autistic as you, user. Some of us don't have highly sensitive hearing and don't care about audio quality this much. You need to understand some people are different, and that's okay.

>Good 1080 rips are between 7GB-11GB
>he doesn't know that excellent 1080p rips using 10-bit 2-pass h.265 HEVC with full on 7.1 audio from direct stream copy are typically 2-5GB in size

Get the fuck out.

Most people like you are idiots and need to be gassed. God I miss Hitler.

HEVC is not mainstream yet and requires a strong processor. And not all mobile devices can play it back properly yet.

Nigger kys.

Good on you. MP4 can be played in damn near anything, and the "scene" is full of fucking idiots for standardizing on MKV because open sores or whatever.

u mad bro?

ffmpeg -i in.mkv -c copy out.mp4

xmedia-recode.de/en/index.html

Kaby Lake and Skylake can play HEVC easily.

Snapdragon 801 and higher can as well.

I don't think Apple chips can though. But Apple is shit so who cares.

How can you do it without seperating?

Ok, I'm stupid.

>MKV

Get that unsupported meme shit container out of here and just convert to mp4

Mkv is redundant and retarded

fucking kill yourselves

>Thinks everyone watches MP4s is on a desktop

Kys

Such unparalleled redditry

jesus christ, this

Why the fuck do people have to overcomplicate shit?

>HEVC is not mainstream yet and requires a strong processor.
lol you need to get with the times grandpa. HEVC has been mainstream for a while now. Most good encodes are ripped in HEVC.

>And not all mobile devices can play it back properly yet.
Shit man even ~$150 budget android phones can HW decode HEVC now.

>HEVC is not mainstream yet
And hopefully never will be.

lol why the -ss and -t?

>he can't tell the difference between 128 and 320
ffs

I needed this 3 days ago and just used Handbrake

>2 pass
>HEVC
No, you get the fuck out. Literally buy a larger hard drive you retard. It'll be years before HEVC actually starts to match x264 in detail retention (keeping in mind UHD Bluray's have are a generation closer to the master than any encode we're discussing).

>full on 7.1 audio

That'll be like 2-5GB on it's own, retard.

Have you even used the latest snowfag x265 encoder?

And of use to fucking no one.

mkv is a container. It holds a video stream and an audio stream, each of which is encoded with their own codecs (like how the webm video format can contain VP8 or VP9-encoded video and Vorbis or Opus-encoded audio). The cool thing about mkv is you can mix and match whatever codecs you want inside the mkv file.

mp4 is also a video container, but it only allows you to use specific codecs (like webm) for its video and audio streams, so you often cannot change mkv to mp4 without entirely re-encoding the video / audio streams into ones that are compatible with mp4

>but it only allows you to use specific codecs (like webm)
should say "(similar to how webm does)" to avoid confusion here.

Did we go back in time where 2 pass produces higher quality than crf method of the same file size?

they're both containers, and they both have limits on what codecs they can store

mp4 just supports less codecs

ps. webm is just just mkv with additional limitations

Considering x254 is the most common video codec on the internet, any random MKV could probably have its video directly converted to MP4 without needing to re-encode the stream.
The audio may be a different story.

MKV technically has no limits on what codec it can store, because it's basically a binary version of an XML document, with arbitrary data.
The limitation is on whether or not a decoder can read the data stream.

lol no. Time to filter you faggot