/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Special:RecentChanges
pastebin.com/5XfDX4wL
pastebin.com/QCKmysyY
gnu.org/software/hurd/index.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

First for STFU BSD/systemd fags

can GNU/Linux GNU/Solve the GNU/Spam problem the GNU/Wiki is having?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Special:RecentChanges

It's not the BSD thread but you retards have no arguments for why BSD is actually bad except
>muh drivers
>muh cuck license
Ironically that's the same argument winfags use.
Really makes you think.

Ironic because OpenBSD is the only OS that is completely secure and free

WTF even happened? This was the GNU/Linux page some hours ago.

angry pajeets are spamming and the fagmin is nowhere to be found.

BSD
systemd
anti-GNU/Linux

Is a weird coincidence how these three are spammed everywhere at the same time, or is it?

Nah, there's also your mascot Sektie

Security tips in order of difficulty pastebin.com/5XfDX4wL

ALso an IRC guide pastebin.com/QCKmysyY

We have to revert it back

You say drivers like it's not a big problem. If it's unusable because of drivers that's a pretty big issue user

most of the pajeet spam is new pages being made. nothing to revert.

Tell me the full story. What pages are affected? What's the pattern of these spam targets?

BSD's are not really that bad after all. Linus is an idiot. However GNU needs lot more work. I know it's already better than legacy Unix utils but I think it has a lot more polishing left

RICE stands for Race Inspired Cosmetic Enhancement and was originally referring to shitty cosmetic car mods used by inbred Asians a-la Fast and the Furious. So basically, those screenshots of neon-colored terminals and anime pictures in desktop threads? That is rice.

Arch is basically installed from the command line, it's easy when you have a guide. You partition your hard drive, install the system, and that's pretty much it. It is up to you to install X (the windowing system) and then a window manager or desktop environment, as well as any software you will use such as web browser, text editor, etc.

Manjaro and Antergos (I spelled it wrong initally I think) have a GUI installer and give you a desktop environment, as well as a few programs, ending in a ready-to-use system after installation. Being based off of Arch they give you the same package manager, pacman. Antegros uses Arch's repository while Manjaro uses its own. If you can do it, I say just use Arch.

that is the full story. someone (probably some angry autist lol) wrote a spambot and has been creating thousands of new pages with nonsense garbage. occasionally it changes normal articles into garbage, but mostly it's just hundreds and hundreds of "norton pro phone number" pages.

Hurd 1.0 soon

Too late, have a look at Redox OS

I hope is compatible with thinkpads, please

4U

The bots usually are too stupid to get past the anti-bot thing which is some Sup Forums meme so they spam their own userpage 90% of the time

Hey Sup Forums, what's the best lightweight and user-friendly distro for daily use?

GNU veteran here. I put Fedora on a friend's spare laptop ages ago and he hasn't had much fun figuring out how to use it. What sort of things should I be teaching him later today when he comes over? I'll have to teach him about dnf probably. I haven't used Fedora, so I might install it in a VM. I may also help him setup aliases so I can just have him run 'update' in the future.

He's into music production also, so I'm hoping he'll be interested to mess around with jack and maybe teach me about it at some point.

This. Having a shit-hits-the-fan ThinkPad with GNU/Hurd on it sounds amazing.

Slackware with Xfce4. No lie

>music production
You may want to look into a low latency kernel.

Lightweight and user-friendly are often opposite directions. I find i3 to be both, but it is tricky when first starting out due to how different it is from the usual. I would just install something minimal like Arch and then install i3. For the Arch install, I recommend Arch Anywhere. You may also want to watch a short video on the i3 basics so you know what you're getting into. openbox is another lightweight option if you want something floating.

>He's into music production also
And you gave him fedora? Why didn't you suggest him Ubuntu studio? It has
1. Built in production software goodness
2. Large online help

He's doing production on another machine already, also derivatives are generally pretty bad, and I had recently been hearing Fedora was easy to install and use for anyone now.
Good idea. Thanks.

Well Ubuntu Studio ships low latency kernel fyi.

>Derivatives are bad
Um, both fedora and debian prevent you from using non free media codecs by default. But I don't know the situation there. It's just a suggestion.

>gnu.org/software/hurd/index.html
>2015-10-31: v0.7
>2016-05-18: v0.8
>2016-12-18: v0.9
soon

>derivatives are bad
All it is is Ubuntu with Xfce and multimedia software. Don't be such a pussy.

I know that (((mods))) are shilling this faggot communist Stallman.

We need to change this shit.

Please go back to your thread.

They deleted it.

Shouldn't Sup Forums be more concerned with more pressing matters? Like a zionist POTUS?

> Caring about external enemies when the enemy is within the site itself

good post

Would be better without namefagging tho. :^)

>Calling Sup Forums home
Even I am more "red-pilled" than you.

He may be a faggot commie but GPL protects us from being subject to his commie faggot tendencies.

Hi /fglt/, got my T470 today and I'm trying to load a linux distro onto it (Ubuntu Budgie), everything installs fine, but my internet connections do not work. Like, I can connect to my wifi, and it's detected but I have no internet access, so, thinking it was a wireless problem, I connect to my modem via ethernet, and while it displays as detected, I still dont have access to the internet. plz help

The enemy is propietary software.

How does Source Mage compare to Gentoo.
I know in Gentoo having a Musl libc and Libressl is pretty easy, how easy does Source Mage make these kind of setups?

Both of the recommendations fail the user friendly test. Antix is the distro you are looking for user.

I'd prefer to start with less and know what extra things are installed rather than use a meme distro.

ping 8.8.8.8
This will determine if dns is the issue

>do uname -o
>it says my operating system is "GNU/Linux"
eh, 計画通り(kanazied to けいかくどおり、romanized to keikakudoori, which means all according to keikaku, which means plan)

> pinging Google
> relying on proprietary IP

GNU KEKS BTFO

I've always seen it like the old saying "I, against my brothers. I and my brothers against my cousins. I and my brothers and my cousins against the world." Red Hat and Ubuntu are brothers, BSD is the cousin and proprietary software is everyone else. They all fight with each other but in the end focus on the real issue. Why can't we all get along?

> he doesn't know 8.8.8.8 belongs to Google

are you retarded?

what's a non botnet alternative? 8.8.8.8 is run by (((Google))). See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Public_DNS

faster than google

Why doesn't Sup Forums allow direct ip access?

Recommend me an interesting wm, I'm pretty bored of i3.

CWM, or Calm Window Manager.
It's stacking, but instead of virtual desktops, you have one desktop and you assign windows to groups that you can hide and unhide.
It works really well both ootb and extended with wmutils.

lubuntu is the best distro

debate

contra: bad name

I like Ubuntu MATE out of all the Ubuntu flavors

i can fit my thumb in my anus

> lightweight ubuntu

What's so hard to understand?

bloat

>using lxde unironically
No one is that poor.

Do you smell it when you pull it out?

Using a DE at all is bloat

description: Notebook
product: Compaq 15 Notebook PC (K4C74EA#ABU)
vendor: Hewlett-Packard

Only if you're running a server
If you want get shit done DE is a must

Keep telling yourself that.

Does it get better than this? Should I stop distrohopping?

I love how everything works and the installation didn't include any bloat. I'm still curious about multiple distributions such as Geckolinux and Slackware but I doubt endless distrohopping will amount anything.

How does one introduce GNU\Linux to a 10 year old kid with no prior desktop computer experience?

That kid is still too much of a faggot to handle linux. Let him grow up.

I am trying to prevent a directory from being deleted but allow files to be created within it. Is there any way to do this?

man chmod

Why is there no Pong in Ubuntu repositories?

if using find empty , just add .keep file or use rm without -rf

>Budgie

Found your problem

>if you want to get shit done DE is a must
if you're a programmer, the only windows you'll be cycling are:
1. ure favourite shell (there's people who're too dumb to setup a powerful shell with syntax highlighting and fuzzy history search)
2. ure favourite IDE (could also run inside your terminal!!!)
3. ure favourite browser (which should be a custom build of either firefox or chromium with all the tracking disabled)
4. ure favourite email client (there's people who still use gmail in this year instead of they are own server :O :O :O )
5. ure favourite media player for watching anime during breaks (there's people who unironically use vlc instead of mpv :O )

considering this use-scenario, why the FUCK would you need a full blown BLOATY as fuck DE to accomplish cycling between windows?
>hurr configure hurr
>not having your .dotfiles in a private git repo on your server ready to be pulled in wherever you are so stuff's already configured

oh wait it just came to me, you're basically a fucking milleannial pretend linux hipster user retard who uses it just for cool points instead of working.
literally kill yourself

>literally kill yourself

it's pretty fucking minimal and nice

Void

thanks, have a ghost

▄▄▄
█████ ▄
▄ ▄█▄████▀
▀▀█████▀
▀████
▀▀▀■

embarassing

How many layers of irony are you on right now?

I wanted a white one

I don't know you tell me

▄▄▄
█████ ▄
▄ ▄█▄████▀
▀▀█████▀
▀████
▀▀▀■

i fucked it up. cool trips

spoopy

How do I get ncmpcpp running on ubongo?

sudo apt-get install archlinux

You're a breathing meme.
Nice tabs.

So I installed Linux (Manjaro) since quite a while for the KDE desktop, and the second day of use I tried to switch from non-free to nouveau Nvidia drivers with the manjaro built in tool for that, and of course it bricked the system. Hangs at startup now and doesnt even get to tty. Sigh.

I just want a good KDE 5 distro that works.

What should I go with then?

I'd like to use Void Loonix but something about small distributions stress me out. What the fuck happens when the distribution gets abandoned?

debian forcing gnome on aptitude upgrade

You switch to something else.
Void is not going away any time soon though.
They are leading the pack with stuff like getting GNOME to work without systemd.

gnome
kde is bugged

Their .iso files are weird and refuse to boot with UEFI even though the wiki states they should be ready for UEFI without any hassle. Oh well, guess I'll figure this out.

Also, if anyone is using Cinnamon can you check one thing for me? Mate and GNOME have the ability to edit keyboard layouts and include an option for the "key to choose 3rd level". Does Cinnamon have this?

how do i into linix