How long until linux is a viable alternative to windows for gamers and content creators

how long until linux is a viable alternative to windows for gamers and content creators

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
peppercarrot.com/
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>content creators
get a job you fucking hippies

Should be ready some time around 2000 and never.

About 5 years.
Always has been, always will be.

When Apple makes their shit affordable to all and thus blows Microsoft out of their normie desktop user & gamer kid market share.

I'd say 2 years

When people finally get fed up with Windows 10 bullshit and decide to seek an alternative that doesn't cost and arm and a leg.

Unfortunately that's never going to happen with Apple. Their greed is far too strong at this point, especially if they see an opportunity to make a huge buck of Windows deserters. best alternative is if they release OSX for free/very cheap to ALL computers but that would never happen either.

2-5 years, with luck

when linux has more than 3 games

When you decide to contribute to software yourself. I am, why aren't you?

Things are looking better with the arms race between Vulkan and DX12. What it needs is a big name company that normies have heard of to push a mainstream linux distro.

With game consoles dying off I am betting Sony will be the one to pick up the torch and try to take Microsofts user base. It would be a big risk for them but if they could bring all the features and programs people need (and can sell it) then they would be the new kings of software.

Really though it could be anyone big like Samsung but I'm betting it will be Sony. inb4 IMB makes a comeback.

Recent trends have shown that people are perfectly happy with Windows 10 and other types of botnets, as long as they get something shine.

Linux is still decades away from being used by an average consumer.

Might as well use this shit thread for something good, help me seed Satellite Reign

magnet:?xt=urn:btih:1daeab0eee0e04da4252f6bdd6063049fec721e4&dn=Satellite.Reign.zip&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.opentrackr.org%3A1337&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.coppersurfer.tk%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.leechers-paradise.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Fexplodie.org%3A6969&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce&tr=udp%3A%2F%2Ftracker.openbittorrent.com%3A80%2Fannounce

I have the only torrent for Linux I've seen

Its near impossible for Apple to ever have any real competition, they'll always be expensive. Nobody else any time soon is going to be able to form their own custom OS and have excellent interplay inside of their own very strong ecosystem. Google tries it but its not quite enough.

Back to OP's question though, probably not ever.

never hopefully
fuck off and don't ruin any more technology

I wouldn't say gaming ruins technology. It's entertainment. You can separate entertainment from work flow in the same subset of activity. Workstation for work, game-station for gaming. Self moderation is what you need if you can't handle it.

>content creators
?

>Gamers
Nvidia has great drivers. Amd need to get their shit together.

3000~ games on steam and growing every day

If a windows only game has opengl support with no DRM you can expect it to run better on wine.

Also try running bloodrayne from the original cd on your windows 10/7 pc. It'll make you want to kill yourself because backwards compadibility on windows is just a meme.
> content creators

We have a lot of free and commercial video editors

I don't know about music though

I'd say 5 years is when almost every new game would be playable on linux

When it has >2% marketshare. So, never.

yea because its not like they are forcing drivers to install large bloated always online gui tools that let me change my LED gamer lights on my RAM. Its not like they are tracking all my mouse and key movements so they can display a heatmap for all the games I don't play. It's not like they are making computers seem like gaming machines as opposed to computers.
I have moderation, they do not

>gamers
Manchilden don't matter
>content creators
Hope liberal arts faggots won't ever use this platform to spread their degeneracy and sensibilities.

there will be a point where developers focus on linux. that's wenn also the creatives choose the free operating system.. when those people want a more free as in freedom system as they used to. i'd say around 2022

When (((RMS))) finally dies, just look at the server/mobile sectors, it isn't a coincidence than Linux fails where ever the FSF is taken into account.

dota » works
sc2 » works*
tf2,cs:s,cs:go » works
FTL » works
mark of the ninja» works
WoW» works
i dont rly need more games on linux

PC gaming is for children

>Gamers
What's needed:
-Support from big corporations (EA, Ubisoft, unironically the shittiest but most popular ones working on console ports). We all know the lack of quality but it's all about the moneycash. They lead and others follow.
-Mostly native releases, rather than wrappers
-To provide equal or better results (higher FPS or stability, lower input lag, whatever can improve the experience). There's very little reason for a random fagwaffle to switch to a different OS if the games run just the same, unless the rest of the OS provides something other than the usual "lack of botnet and more ricing" stuff.
-Literal plug and play shit. Yes, we all know Windows has a lot of fuckups as well, but in the end there's nothing more satisfying to these people than just not having to use google once.
-Also full support for any "gaming" device or gamepad. I still run into trouble these days with the dual shock 3.

>Content creators
It's mostly Adobe taking this big dump on people, so you would need each of the new alternatives coming out as we speak to get loonix versions. Professional tools are becoming available left and right and people are finding less reasons to use Adobe software, but unfortunately stuff like Affinity Designer isn't available on Linux yet.

I think when OP says "content creator" it actually means "twitch streamer" or "youtube celebrity".

Have you considered getting workstation hardware as opposed to consumer game-hardware?

I'm on an R9 270X with the opensource radeonsi driver. Those devs more or less have their shit together. I also hear nothing but good things about amdgpu but last I checked it doesn't support my card (yet).

yes, i really hate the fucking fsf with deadskinfromhisfooteating-shitlord rms.

The FSF is completely irrelevant actually.

> games
Looks like that conservative builds (and steam machines) got that covered by now
> content creators
Not well-defined.
Do you think Ubuntu Studio has that corner covered?

Except more than quarter of games on Steam supports Linux, and lots of other games can be played via WINE.

How about Skyrim, Witcher and Shovel Knight ?

>he doesn't know how to use rutracker

>magnet:?xt=urn:btih:E16340C21FDC25C3BCFE37EC38044977A564EFA4&tr=http%3A%2F%2Fbt2.t-ru.org%2Fann%3Fmagnet&dn=Satellite%20Reign%20(1.06)%20%5BENG%20%2F%20RUS%20%2F%20MULTI7%5D%20%5BGOG%5D%20%5Bx86%2C%20amd64%5D%20%5BUnity3D%5D

>Skyrim
Can be played well via Wine or in VM
>Witcher
Which one? First works great in WINE, second is on Linux, third can be played via VM
>Shovel Knight
Has been on Linux for years

Cheers senpai

It is now, faggot.
>gamers
There's a fuckton of games on Linux to play, both natively and with wine.
>content creators
There's just enough software for it
>Image manipulation
GIMP, Inkscape, Krita
>3D shit
Blender, Maya
>Video editing
Kdenlive, Lightworks, DaVinci Resolve. Also, Natron for compositing.
>Music
Ardour, LMMS

>viable alternative
once microsoft will transform windows desktop OS versions to SAAS with a monthly fee
>gaming
once linux gets directx
>content creation
once adobe and shit is supported on linux

aka never
except for the SAAS thing. It's gonna come sooner as we want

>once linux gets directx
>once adobe and shit is supported on linux

it's true though
but instead of directx vulkan would be fine aswell

Also, DX is POS that's used just because it's backed by Microsoft and has better documentation. OpenGL is faster, and the only reason it isn't as fast in most games is just because they're direct Windows ports.

Vulkan is going to dominate the game anyway since it's supported more widely and backed by big companies.

>Gamers
When/if vulkan gains major traction
>Content Creators
Probably never, just use Mac

What is the point of art that's made to be realistic? Just take a fuckin picture you damned hippies

>vulkan
>supported more widely
did i miss something?
when did companies start to widely use it over dx12?

>-Also full support for any "gaming" device or gamepad. I still run into trouble these days with the dual shock 3.
Huh? DS3 works OOTB on Linux, unlike on Windows, where you have to use some kind of bullshit drivers.

Of course if someone has a hard dependency on a windows-only software for work linux will not be viable for them, otherwise linux already has a decent library of software including proprietary paid software of course:
Kicad
youtube.com/watch?v=CCG4daPvuVI
Natron
youtube.com/watch?v=V2MvbfuITT8
Blender
youtube.com/watch?v=wDRTjzLNK0g
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=raKHHFv4nN8
Krita
youtube.com/watch?v=ZEoJgQAfb5Y
Lightworks
youtube.com/watch?v=7znIHsyqfm0
Kdenlive
youtube.com/watch?v=E8hO4K7mZG4
Unity3D
youtube.com/watch?v=O4BUcIDdpAM
Opentoonz
youtube.com/watch?v=lGFUtqM8oAs
Godot engine
youtube.com/watch?v=Dqumdhqy8Uw
BricsCAD VS Autocad
cad.softwareinsider.com/compare/5-10/AutoCAD-vs-BricsCAD
Bricscad
youtube.com/watch?v=4eLM3NrOJms
Freecad Demo
youtube.com/watch?v=5XW0AqKG5zI
Freecad BIM
youtube.com/watch?v=Qmjz6WXyWBY
Freecad & 3D printing
youtube.com/watch?v=TqZeThC38ug
Gimp 2.10 features
youtube.com/watch?v=D5RIveQypgw
How to install photoshop on wine
youtube.com/watch?v=7-Mo3GTcOQ4
Digikam
youtube.com/watch?v=mnk_VzedqlU
Pixar Film Production
youtu.be/JmH4KYcmHOo
Linux art 1
sylvia-ritter.com/new-gallery/
Linux art 2
peppercarrot.com/
Davinci resolve
blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve

There's already 2000+ including AAA games of course if you're interested. Relevant pasta:
Not him but the no games argument is not true anymore. Windows is the best os for gaming mostly due to most game developers are trained into developing for it with microsoft's closed APIs, so the simple process of porting a game that was developed for windows to any other platform will affect negatively the performance of the game. This with the fact that the marketshare is small compared to windows there's hardly an incentive at the moment to optimize for linux, making look as if the platform were worse for games than windows when in fact to flip the situation you'll need to change the idiosyncrasies on the industry itself.

The fact though is that the situation on linux is not nearly the same than two years ago and now those who prefer linux over windows now can play games on it, helping to break the vicious circle, but still there's a lot of things to do for linux to compete in the gaming side. I anyone wants for this to change i recommend to play the games you can on linux when possible and ask for linux ports.

I notice some people doesn't want's for this to happen but if that the case let me ask (not directed specifically to the person i'm replying): how are any of you benefited in a meaningful way with the current situation? because i consider that keeping the statu quo just to have a tool to win an argument on what OS is better is not a meaningful thing. how having less options and practically being locked to MS products benefits you?

Some links:
steamdb.info/linux/
store.steampowered.com/search/?category1=998&os=linux
youtube.com/watch?v=yXr8bqzf45Y
youtube.com/user/tuxreviews/videos
youtube.com/user/airspeedmph
youtube.com/user/Jakejw93/videos
youtube.com/user/mrdeathjr28/videos
youtube.com/watch?v=AWZvwhwT1Sk
youtube.com/watch?v=W9gsu_YWUzE

Photorealistic art is extreme form of autism.

When League and Overwatch can be natively played

>tfw you could actually reduce this problem to Halting

I wish Vulkan was a thing. I would switch immediately if I could. Otherwise I'm not willing to stop enjoying video gaming entirely. I'm also not willing to run a lowend shit rig because of no, shit drivers or missing support for SLI and 4K resolutions.

Is there a version of photoshop on Linux? I've been a GIMP user for years but Photoshop feels much faster.

You can install cs6 on wine but i don't know about newer versions.

I think lack of support for "content creators" is a big reason why linux hasn't taken off enough.
Audio/music, video, photo, design, etc has mac os support for a lot of things or some decent/good alternatives regardless of whether you like the os .

As soon as archlinux has an installation wizard and graphical package manager.

now?

Antegros, Architect etc. and there is a graphical package manager.

this
also >implying installing Arch over the command line is hard
>implying package management over the command line is hard

Honestly no idea. But shit's getting better. For Linux to become an alternative though some things need to be sorted out first:
-Wayland needs to 'just work'
-We have to have decided on either snap or flatpak, and it needs to work. This should hopefully make Linux more consistent and prevent companies only 'supporting' 5 year old Ubuntu versions.

Realistically, wine will just improve enough to be able to run most games (apart from shitty ones that bundle some anti-cheat-rootkit). As for 'content creators', it depends what kind of content you mean. I think things like 3D modelling and to some extent video editing is possible, but things like designing magazines (using InDesign) still needs wine, which a lot of people have problems with.

This guy has a point. Not everyone can program, but if you know how to create anything of value to the Linux community, then help out.
Even if it is something small like writing appdb reports for wine.

Unfortunately this is also true. Linux will always be for those 'who care'. We have passed the point of the general population caring enough to not use a product in protest. Sure, whenever microsoft does the next bad thing, people will complain, but they will still continue to use their products.

It has to look like phone apps or normies will never make the switch

Normal install (without full disc encryption) is not hard, but it IS effort.

Only autismos like ricing

2017 YEAR OF THE LINUX DESKTOP

SteamOS, but what you mean is market share and the answer for that is soon

every time i see 'content creators' i get a sudden urge to throw up and smash things with a baseball bat

>Unfortunately this is also true. Linux will always be for those 'who care'. We have passed the point of the general population caring enough to not use a product in protest. Sure, whenever microsoft does the next bad thing, people will complain, but they will still continue to use their products.
Honestly, this is like watching people standing in the rain wondering why they're getting wet. I can't get upset about every single drop that lands on them anymore, because they're not going to go inside no matter what I tell them.