/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Only hours remain for you to buy the BLU R1 Plus for $109.99 from Amazon or Best Buy
phonearena.com/news/Only-hours-remain-for-you-to-buy-the-BLU-R1-Plus-for-109.99-from-Amazon-or-Best-Buy_id93582

Samsung Galaxy S8 And S8 Plus "Real Review"
youtube.com/watch?v=sseV73bbygc

Best phones around $300 (5"-5.2") | in-depth comparison -
youtu.be/kQ9DPugipk8

24-hour test: Well, hot-diggity-damn, BlackBerry's KEYone is one hell of a comeback (El Reg)
theregister.co.uk/2017/04/28/blackberry_keyone_production_24hr_test/

LG rumored to release an LG G6 mini with 5.4" 18:9 FullVision display
technobuffalo.com/2017/04/27/lg-g6-mini/

Nokia's 3, 5, 6, and 3310 (2017) to be released in the UK by June
gsmarena.com/nokia_3_5_6_and_3310_2017_to_only_be_out_in_the_uk_in_june-news-24800.php

DetroitBORG's review of the Galaxy S8 & S8+
youtu.be/0ApRV2ddYQo

old

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/5HaZM3US1zI
alcatelonetouch.us/idol-4s-vr-smartphone-windows
youtube.com/watch?v=BwKVkNj8zyQ
pocketnow.com/2016/05/17/charging-the-htc-10-with-another-adapter-watch-out
reddit.com/r/htc/comments/4it5kc/htc_10_overheating_while_charging/
androidcentral.com/my-htc-10-hates-pixel-c-charger
amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R313CLXRVCOHQI/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01AHKYIRS
forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-htc-10/help/to-return-to-s-locked-o-using-usb-t3570535
androidcentral.com/htc-sending-out-extra-usb-c-cable-htc-10-direct-buyers
reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/6604mh/moto_g5_verizon_cant_call_911_brand_new_auto/
ifixit.com/Device/HTC_One
ifixit.com/Guide/HTC One Battery Replacement/30984
twitter.com/AnonBabble

did people stop talking about that huawei memory reading speed incident?

>LG rumoured to release an LG G6 Mini with 5.4" 18:9 FullVision display
>tfw 5.4" is now "mini"

What things can you do with your older/secondary smartphone?

My old one is so damaged that it doesn't have any resell value at all, so can I somehow make use of it anyways?

Yes?

It's not that big of a deal. Every body does it anyway. You won't even notice the difference.

That's what you get when you buy phones meant for the Chinese market

It has the same screen to body ratio as the S8, so it still has the footprint of a smaller phone

Redpill me on Wileyfox

The screen doesn't seem as small as I expected.

It seems like it would be awkward to reach for on screen buttons though. You would constantly be holding the phone by the top half.

youtu.be/5HaZM3US1zI

Looks pretty expensive for its specs desu

What's the best phone in the market, budget is not limited.

Pixel XL or S8+

Galaxy S8/S8+.

oneplus 3t or do i sign my live away for another 2 years to get an s8

OP5 is only a few months away, you'll regret getting the OP3T

There are people saying S8 is bad, should I go for it? I'm using S6 and its meh. Or should I wait for new phones to release?

>There are people saying S8 is bad
That's just jelly poorfags

do we know if the OP5 will be waterproof?

I really want a Windows phone so I'm all in the same architecture for my PC, phone and laptop.

How the fuck did M$ drop the ball so fucking hard?

I loved my Lumia 1020, and really want a surface phone. Is it even worth it to try again?

>not buying a phone outright

HEY GUYS

Im on Verizon in the US and my Nexus 6's screen just ate shit despite having a nice case (lesson learned: get tempered glass)

Should I get a G4 Plus or a G5 Plus? The only thing scaring me away from the G4 Plus is the supposed screen retention issues that get worse when the phone heats up

Is there a reliable/accurate estimated price point for the OP5?

Otherwise the only point in waiting for the OP5 would be for the probable price drop in the OP3T

Probably 450/500, they've gone up 50 bucks with each phone. Soon they won't even be undercutting the prices that much

Was there ever a decent fix for this issue? Warrenty on my HTC one is way past gone, so I'd need to either self repair or send it off to some dodgy phone shop I'm guessing.

Going by previous OP phone launch prices
>OPO $349
>OP2 $379
>OP3 $399
>OP3T $439

I'd guess around $450-500

The excuse is that the snap dragon 625 is designed for low power consumption and to work optimally with the 3GB of RAM.

I've read some reviewers say that they are making it through a full day of use easily. We'll see.

If you're in the states and on T-Mobile, there's an SD820 powered Alcatel Idol 4S with Windows 10
alcatelonetouch.us/idol-4s-vr-smartphone-windows

I can't really justify buying the 5 considering the OP3T specs will hold up just fine for the next 2 years and will be considerably cheaper once it, the 5, comes out (probably)

For me it would depend on how much better the next one is compared to 3T. If there was a hundred dollar price difference but the improvements seemed worthwhile enough, I would probably get the newer one. But I just got my 3T a couple months ago so I definitely won't be upgrading anytime soon, I really like this phone. My biggest gripe is that the photos seem to come out kinda blurry now and then with the auto settings. The image quality is good when the photo succeeds but sometimes I'll just snap a quick shot of something and it will be blurred

Buy a new camera module

$ 5-10

That's no excuse. The Redmi 4X has a 625 and costs less than $130 while having weekly updates.

I've been out of the loop for a few months and see a whole suite of Redmi Note 4-somethings including a few "global" versions.

Can someone give me a summary on the codenames for the global / extra band models ? I want to check camera quality and LineageOS/ROM support.

I have a Redmi note 3 pro special edition (Kate) and want to upgrade to something with a better low light camera and ideally with USB type C.

Make your own decision but this place is full of people buying phones meant for the Chinese and thinking they're getting a good deal
youtube.com/watch?v=BwKVkNj8zyQ

If you want a better camera, you need to step out of chink phones.

I've got an older phone HTC one M8 and my charger just took a shit on me. Is there such thing as a "faster" charger? Maybe my battery is just going out but my entire family has been having issues with our older charger so I'm looking to get something that can deliver more mAh in a shorter amount of time, is that a thing?

Pros and cons of a HTC 10?
Planning on getting one for around 450$.
>I don't like the OP3T or S7
>chinks aren't an option

>Redmi 4X
Has a SD435. And a $160 ZUK Z2 has a SD820 which is basically the same SoC that the Google Pixel / LG G6 have.

I meant the Redmi 4 Pro. My bad.

>I don't like the OP3T or S7

I'm curious why?

There's four Note 4 versions:
Note 4 Mediatek (code name Nikel) Note 4 Global (code name Mido)
Note 4X (also Mido)
Note 4 India version (not in pic, basically same as the other two Snapdragon models but with less network bands and only sold in India, also code name Mido)

Custom ROMs work on all 3 different Mido variantt

The 3T is more expensive here, the camera is worse and I don't like how it feels in the hand.
The S7 does have the best camera, but I despise TouchWiz and the edge thing. Also the most expensive.

Was also looking into the G5 Plus. I heard that there is too much background noise in calls and in video recording.

Anyone know if this has been fixed?

Is Zuk Z2 still a recommended phone for $150?

>pros
fast
sharp screen
good custom roms

>cons
may or may not catch on fire while charging

it's up to you whether this is worth it

Examples of HTC 10 fires:
pocketnow.com/2016/05/17/charging-the-htc-10-with-another-adapter-watch-out
reddit.com/r/htc/comments/4it5kc/htc_10_overheating_while_charging/
androidcentral.com/my-htc-10-hates-pixel-c-charger
amazon.com/gp/customer-reviews/R313CLXRVCOHQI/ref=cm_cr_dp_d_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B01AHKYIRS
Despite the speculation in the titles above, it also overheats with the stock charger: forum.xda-developers.com/verizon-htc-10/help/to-return-to-s-locked-o-using-usb-t3570535

Bonus: HTC is aware of the problem, but tried to keep people quiet about it by giving out free warranties as a "gift": androidcentral.com/htc-sending-out-extra-usb-c-cable-htc-10-direct-buyers

If you really want to burn yourself, go ahead.

zuk edge
is it good?

btw its a shame zuk line is kill now, I really like them.

Reminds me of the iPhone explosions, but of course only Samsung had an army of memers shitposting 24/7 on social media. I wonder if apple spends money in hiring shitposters, I could see them doing it desu

What do you think about the Marshall London, /spg/?

>aesthetic
>separate sound card
>very good music apps
>comes with pretty sweet marshall earbuds

need a new phone for my mom around the $100 price range with t-mobile bands

Moto G4 Play or Blu Life One x2?

The first, only because I wouldn't trust Blue and especially not with my mom
Why not just get her the cheapest G5 plus on amazon?

Looking for a replacement for my Note 4.
>Country
US
>Carrier
Verizon
>Wanted features
microsd and/or more than 64 gigs of storage
rootable
good screen
>budget
Under or around $700
>screen size
5.5 in or preferably more

Dunno if anything like this exists

>around $100

>Verizon
>rootable

Good luck with that one. I have spent far too much time investigating this already. Your only choices are:
>Moto G4/G5 Plus
It's advertised as being Verizon compatible, but it actually isn't. reddit.com/r/MotoG/comments/6604mh/moto_g5_verizon_cant_call_911_brand_new_auto/
>HTC 10
See >Google Pixel
Only the version from the Google Store can be rooted/bootloader unlocked, and there's a 1-2 month wait for the phones from there because they're in such high demand.
>find and purchase a used phone that's Verizon compatible but hasn't taken any OTA updates so the community hacks for it can still work
Good luck dealing with this can of worms.

Honestly, Verizon is such a garbage company that you're better off leaving them for a different carrier if you have the opportunity to, especially since there are dozens of GSM-only chinkphones that meet literally all of your other criteria.

Got one last week, installed Lineage on it. I like it a lot.

I only got Verizon for work reasons that are no longer relevant, so I'd be up for switching.

>Moto G4/G5 Plus
They are Verizon compatible, that bug was fixed with a OTA update

BLOX2 isn't $100 anyways, he would be considering the R1 Plus if it's still on sale

Stop being a bad son, at least get the $185 g5 plus with lock screen ads on amazon

should I get a oneplus3t? what else is as good around that price range?

Axon 7, and it's cheaper

>cheap plastic build
>below average spec other than the audio capabilities
>running on outdated android
>massively overpriced because "muh marshall" branding

If don't mind having an outdated phone, if you really love the way it looks and if you've got money to burn, go for it.

>stop being a bad son
>get her a phone with lockscreen ads
shiggy diggy

Non-intervention lock screen ads that can be removed user

What is the advantage of having a screen that curves towards the back at the edges like pic related? Is it more comfy than a flat screen of similar size?

>can be removed
Not possible on the G5 Plus

Yes, come buy it from me because I'll get double commission because nobody is fucking buying it.

I know that xiaomi Mi is the flasgshit line, but what is the difference between redmi and redmi note?

Screen size

What is the best android flip phone currently out?

I like the aesthetics on this Musashi

Might've had something to do with the note blowing up when it wasn't even charging.

I have a Blu R1 HD as a temp replacement phone, and it's been fine so I don't particularly distrust them.

the 2GB/16GB BLOX2 is $106 right now.

her current phone is a second gen Moto E and she hardly knows how to use it, so she doesn't need anything special

Does she even need a new phone if she barely knows how to use her current one?

is that the only thing? Because i wanted to get the cheaper one the redmi 4x, but the problem is it has no xda support which i want because i want cynogenmod

the 8GB of internal storage is pretty much full. I know there are ways to move apps to the sd card, but I don't trust her not to run into any problems that way.

one for the plug and one for the load

my phone lets me format the SD card as internal storage

mine does too, but I don't see the option in hers

samsung meme marketing

similar to the dual screen on the htc u ultra, it's shit

Redmi 4A / 4X are cheaper models so the specs are lower. The Redmi Note models are more popular so they have more custom ROMs available.

I'm pretty sure it's because you have to format the card first, or it's being gay and won't allow it to be setup like that unless it's reset

Where is the best place for me to buy an LG G6?

I want the quad dac model but I live in the UK so the usual places to buy phones are no good.

The "adotable storage" (=microsd as internal storage) feature was added in 6.0 Marshmallow

It's a gimmick

>Zuk
I got mine for 200 euros last year, so would definitely recommend it for 150 bucks.

The Indian ROM just got an official Nougat OTA. Worked in Europe too.

I don't mind burning

It's not comfy at all unfortunately

Does replacing a soldered-in battery work much on a phone that's a few years old?
Is it worth the price/effort, or will the juice never be the same as it was?
It's a HTC One M7, so I've had it since 2013. I still dig the phone but the battery doesn't last till lunch.

Doesn't help for app storage.

what did he mean by this

It seems like it's not worth the effort.

ifixit.com/Device/HTC_One
ifixit.com/Guide/HTC One Battery Replacement/30984

Wait so redmi note 4x is worse than redmi note 4?

Ripoff of HTC.

No, I meant Redmi 4A and Redmi 4X.

Okay i am confused then, i am looking at the china shop and they have both redmi note 4 and redmi note 4x and they cost almost the same, so which one is the better one?

Thanks, i'm gonna buy the note 4 global version then
i checked the forum on xda and it is super active which is great

>tfw got it for 100€ on a local sale
feels good

I really hope Marshall release more phones though
don't wanna blow extra cash on expensive mp3 players when a music-centered phone is good enough for that

iPhone7 Plus

Just bought a Moto G4 for a hundred bucks. How bad did I fuck up?

>Snapmeme 617

Royally