/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm (thank you nvidia driver team)
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

If you see any other build advice or part list threads, direct them here with and report.

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/NHN8wV
3dmark.com/spy/1544741
pcpartpicker.com/list/b3bmHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/NwfQ9W
pcpartpicker.com/list/zBZVTH
de.pcpartpicker.com/list/fjc9QV
pcpartpicker.com/list/R4gvkT
pcpartpicker.com/list/83Rrf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/jWv3vV
pcpartpicker.com/list/zRJdwV
pcpartpicker.com/list/yvRrf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/DtQmHN
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZytvkT
es.pcpartpicker.com/list/MHfQ9W
youtube.com/watch?v=x1JA24KCAjE
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First for ryzen.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NHN8wV

thoughts?
i already have the 970 from my last build

AMD VEGA

3dmark.com/spy/1544741

MX300 is good too.

Nice.

pcpartpicker.com/list/b3bmHN

I want to do 1440p 144hz gaming and VR. Thoughts?

I think I could get a smaller SSD and just get an HDD for most things. I really want to get high quality parts if possible, but I'm willing to go cheaper if they're of the same quality.

>1200MHz when the server card is 1536MHz
hmmm

pcpartpicker.com/list/NwfQ9W

Opinions?
Previous thread advised me to switch to a cheaper HDD, a better cooler and a different SSD.
Still haven't made those changes yet though.

Its totally legit I swear!

>No 7700k
>No 6700k
>Literally the most expensive Ryzen CPU
>Against a fucking 2500k
>On a literally-who garbage game
I don't even know if this is false flag chilling at this point.

I'm a dumb idiot and fucked up the graphics card on that one.

de.pcpartpicker.com/list/fjc9QV
Will be used for playing and streaming video games, and also programming. Country is Denmark.

I play Black Desert Online and OverWatch.
Resolution 1920x1080 at 144Hz.

I need help deciding on a motherboard and maybe a monitor aswell.

>D14
>on a 1600

You don't need such a monstrous cooler for the chip unless you absolutely need to put 1.42v through your chip to hit 4ghz.

Not sure if this belongs here or /sqt/, but I'm looking for a little advice. I have a 6600k and I want to push the overclock on it. Currently it's sitting nice and cool at 4.2ghz but I'd like to push it a lot higher, maybe 4.6-4.7ghz (can 6600k do 4.7 comfortably?)
My question; I have an MSI z170 sli plus. The vrm heatsinks are very small. Should I be concerned about motherboard temps when pushing the clocks? I'm running an atx mid tower with 2 x 120mm intake fans and 1x 120mm exhaust btw.

I have this RAM laying around the house and I have no idea what to do with it. Can someone help me make a build that utilizes this? pic related
>G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)

why not just sell it? Ram prices are fucking insane at the moment. You could charge barely below retail price and people will buy it out of desperation.
Also:
>make a build for me with no context, use case, budget, preference or thought from my part
no.

because i want to reuse the RAM. could you at least recommend me a CPU+GPU combo?

>1080ti is 4k ready!
>proceeds to barely get 100fps in SLI @ 1080p

That isn't how scaling works user.

>no context, use case, budget, preference

Intel Pentium G4560
Gigabyte GA-Z270X-Gaming 9 EATX LGA1151 Motherboard

That suggests 50fps at 4k.

Why an EATX Z270 mobo?

Again, that isn't how gpu scaling works - it isn't linear.

What are the non-shitty ATX cases right now?

S340 Elite looks nice but I don't really like the 3.5" drive mounting (no rails, no rubber, no fans).

>pcpartpicker.com/list/NwfQ9W
are you archiving important data like video projects or whatever that require a shitload of writes? Then a wd black isn't worth it. And even then, you'd probably be better off going with an enterprise drive of some sort.

The cooler is a great price, but IIRC ncix charges a lot for shipping most of the time, and superbiiz is weird to me so i generally don't shop there. So unless you can get free shipping from ncix, or can get another vendor to price match, I would choose a different cooler.

Here's my take: pcpartpicker.com/list/R4gvkT
bam. Saved you over $100. I also used an m.2 sata ssd to save you some cable management. It's the same price as the standard 2.5' drive, check for yourself.

I have an s340 non-elite with a 3.5" hdd installed and it doesn't make any noise and the temps are good. Just don't go shaking your computer like an unwanted baby and you're fine.

Hi friends, looking for a case that everything will fit in. Needs to have at least one optical drive, and I don't care if it's Full or Mid Tower.

pcpartpicker.com/list/83Rrf8

I have these two options:
pcpartpicker.com/list/jWv3vV
pcpartpicker.com/list/zRJdwV

I live in Argentina so the prices are somewhat fucked and the Intel combo is 16% more expensive than the AMD one (ignore the prices in the sites).
Will use for gaming and programming.

Which one should I go for?

>"""""""Premium""""""" quad cores
>in CURRENT YEAR
you need to leave shlomo

I'm not from the US so my fees are going to be different anyway. Just using pcpartpicker since it's good for making lists.

Thanks for the suggestions though.

would recommend amd one, programming (compilation speed) scales very well with cores and programmers tend to multitask a lot where the r7 1700 wins again at
go for it

go for AMD, gaming isn't your sole thing you do and compiling will benefit from more cores, also the 1700 isn't a housefire

pcpartpicker.com/list/yvRrf8
you really don't need a WD black and samsung ssds are overpriced

wasn't there the guy who said java compilation times were 30% slower on ryzen than his old i5? someone posted screenshot in the old thread

BLEASE RESBOND :-DDD

Can you read moron?

i'd go for asrock mobo and higher frequency ram but you're good.

thanks!
sadly i can't afford higher freq ram, i wanted to go 8gb 3200mhz but then i realised 16gb will be better on the long run

So I just bought a new GPU, hard drive and case because my computer was in desperate need of an upgrade and because I'm a pleb I've bent the pins on the motherboard's CPU socket. I know it can be fixable and it's a solid mobo but it's 5 years old along with the CPU and I'm tempted to just get a new one, buuuut, that would mean getting a new CPU, which is annoying because it still compares pretty well to the latest Intel line (I've got an i5-3570k).

So, is it worth getting a second hand mobo so that I can keep the CPU, or would I be better off buying both of them new? I'm looking at getting the i5 7600k

Plus do mobos really matter that much? a lot of the ones with the LGA1151 socket are pretty expensive so I'd probably go for one which was less than £100.

Previous thread advised me to switch to a cheaper HDD and a different SSD.
>Still haven't made those changes yet though.
The only cheaper one I could get from the place I intend to buy from is a CRUCIAL MX300 with a similar capacity and the difference is 20 bucks.

Worth it?

i dunno man i can see 3200mhz ram starting from 114$. the same kit you picked but 3200mhz is only 10$ more.

>make a build for me with no context, use case, budget, preference or thought from my part
>include all of those
>get 1 reply after you quote yourself 4 times with PLEASE RESPOND

oh. you can set pcpartpicker to your region most of the time, and it will use your local currency and show prices based on vendors that will ship to you. Same goes for You only have 2 hard drives, 1 graphics card. Really any atx mid will fit all your stuff easily. You could even get away with microATX with a different mobo. I guess the HAF 912 usb 3.0 is a good choice if you are looking for something cheap with good cooling.
pcpartpicker.com/list/DtQmHN I took the liberty of changing some other things. Take my advice or not on these, up to you. As5 was the best a long time ago but it's not any more due to all the other things out there. Outdated meme. M4x spreads a little nicer in my book and I get good temps with it. PSu I thought was a little overkill, I picked ram that was $25 cheaper and only 200mhz lower. You could probably get it to 3200mhz easy with some manual tweaking any way. Acx3.0 cards are poorly designed with dangerously hot vrms. Under worst case (like, extremely specific) scenario they have a chance of catching fire.

Why not? It will run your RAM as you asked. If you want any better, be more specific.

Only includes my dumb youger brother as a country, sadly.

Whats the best video card to get if you aren't planning on overclocking and not going 4k for a while?

This build is for 1080p, and I don't really play AAA games at all. How does it look?
pcpartpicker.com/list/ZytvkT

es.pcpartpicker.com/list/MHfQ9W

ROAST ME

I'm split between:

Asus X370 Prime Pro (166€)
VS
Asrock X370 Taichi (257€)

I don't really need Wi-fi nor the extra features of the Taichi, but I plan to OC my 1600X as high as possible on air and I'll be using 3200Mhz RAM.
I also plan to upgrade to a new AM4 CPU a few years from now, so long-term UEFI support is a factor.

tl;dr
Is the Taichi really worth 90€ more than the Prime Pro?

we already repsonded to that in another thread
also, stop using roast me, this isn't reddit

Is a ferrari F40 worth it over a ford mondeo on a tusday in siberia?

Sorry for reposting this:

What should I change? Anything? Should I buy it?

I'd roast you but your processor already is at that OC.

get 3000mhz or even 2666mhz and overclock it manually, usually works fine. My gskill 2400 kit is sitting at 2666mhz and all I did was enable xmp. Save money but you will have to learn a bit is all.

>"I have this RAM laying around the house and I have no idea what to do with it. Can someone help me make a build that utilizes this? pic related
>G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2400 (PC4 19200)
>because i want to reuse the RAM. could you at least recommend me a CPU+GPU combo?
>>make a build for me with no context, use case, budget, preference or thought from my part
>include all of those
>get 1 reply after you quote yourself 4 times with PLEASE RESPOND

I'm sorry, but I don't see a budget or use case in any of these. All you said was you have some ram lying around and want to put it in something. What are you using the computer for? What are you looking to spend? Do you want to save money? Max price /performance? Look good? Don't care about looks just cram in hardware? Are you gaming? programming? Video editing? Web surfing? Artist? Rendering? Give me something to work with here cmon.

1440p 144hz maxed out is the goal btw

>tfw amd doesn't have a cuda like framework for neural network shenanigan's

Feelsbadman.

No one commented on the factors I mention on my post. "get board X" is not a discussion. For instance, posts like this don't address any of the concerns I raised and incite no useful dialog.
At least this one is worth a kek

You still leave out way too much information.

Do you need the extra I/O x370 provides? Do you have a million drives? Do you plan to sli/crossfire? How long to you estimate you will keep the build?

They have that Bozman initiative or whatever it was called.

Anyone here who has experience with the Gigabyte GA-AB350-Gaming 3??
It seems there isn't much to read on this specific mobo, not in forums, no real reviews, etc.
If anyone here has it, please tell me what RAM you're using and how compatibility is. Also, how's your OC going?

the x99, z270, and now x370 Taichi branded boards are gaining a lot of popularity, so I imagine Asrock will want to put a lot of effort into maintaining the product line's reputation. That said, Asus builds a pretty damn solid UEFI. Their budget products are shit, but their high end products have a lot of R&D time in them.
There's nothing wrong with eh Asus Prime Pro though. The taichi is expensive because it has ridiculous power phases, leds, and a lot of i/o and other features.
If you're really torn, go with the asus because that's a lot of dough when either board will suit you fine it seems.

It looks great for AAA gaming, so even better for non AAA
Just so you know, the PSU is overkill, a 550w or even 500w would suffice.
The additional case fans also aren't needed, and could be spent for a CPU cooler which would actually make a difference (in case of OC, otherwise both don't do that much) and still get used for your next CPU

I agree with what said, but do note that Asus glues the backplate to the mobo.
Yes, completely retarded, but just that you know. Some say it gets off pretty easy without much effort, others say you need to heat up the glue with a hairdryer or whatever.

Nothing, is a great very high end build, no flaws

Thanks for the feedback.

Thank you. I will purchase it now.

You've all been great for getting it to this point!

pls help

>You still leave out way too much information.
I state clearly in the post I need nothing that the Taichi provides over the X370 Prime Pro.

I don't have a million drives.
I might SLI/crossfire a few years from now.
I plan to keep the build for as long as possible as long as AM4 is supported. I state in my post I plan to upgrade to newer AM4 CPUs down the line. I also plan to OC them, where the Taichi might come in handy over the Prime.
I also get the feeling a more expensive mobo from AsRock has a better chance of UEFI updates to support later AM4 CPUs than an ASUS mid-range board, but I might be wrong about ASUS long-term support and that's why I'm asking Sup Forums for opinions.

Thanks for the input user. You might also want to read my reply above for more info. Specially on the long-term support of ASUS vs Asrock.

You mean I need to actually unglue the plate to install, for example, the H7 cooler in my build?

>founders edition in a huge atx case
fucking why?
Also there's a ton of places where you can save money without losing any performance here. but I'm not sure if you want to save money or just get maximum luxury. Also not a fan of that case, but case choice is subjective.

I'm open to any and all suggestions. Which graphics card + case would you recommend?

If I won't save more than $300ish, I'd like to stay at maximum luxury if possible.

I'd also have to change the motherboard too, right?

>You mean I need to actually unglue the plate to install, for example, the H7 cooler in my build?
Yes. This is true for any cooler that doesn't use the premounted AMD backplate but comes with it's own.

Yeah you can buy an Xbox 360

>$200
Get a console.

for 200$ it's better to buy used dells and adding a gpu

About 4 years ago my friend helped me build a high end custom PC. He picked out the parts and him and his dad built it for me for free. I still have this computer but it's starting to show it's age. I can't use VR, i can't play games in 4K and i can't play new AAA games anymore at Ultra settings. I would ask my friend for help again but we are no longer on good terms and i haven't talked to him in 2 years. Is there a way i can hire someone to look at my PC, tell me what parts need to be upgraded, what parts i should buy and for him to install the parts for me? Should i look for a local computer shop or is there a website i can go to?

i heard you can ask around on Sup Forums but don't quote me on that

I knew I had to use the backplate that comes with the cooler, but I didn't know they were gluing backplates to the mobos. Is this widespread or it's just ASUS being retarded on this mobo?

youtube.com/watch?v=x1JA24KCAjE

Ryzen 1700 or 1700x?

It's Asus being retarded on AM4 mobos. Somehow they think screws don't get the job done.

Not that guy but what's wrong with founders edition? Is it downright puny?

Can someone put together a full budget gaming setup in pc part picker for ~200$? Bonus points for seperate mouse and keyboard. By setup I mean monitor, keyboard, mouse et cetera

What is a good case, motherboard, and CPU that are relatively cheap that also aren't complete crap?

I am trying to build a gaming PC for a friend so he can get away from console gaming. The problem is he can't afford to just right in like I did and will need to build into it.

I think I can reuse his RAM and HDD. I know better than to let him skimp on a PSU, and as long as he has video on his MOBO or an APU, he can always just get a $200 GPU later on.

reported

Ditch the M.2 and get a larger SATA SSD. 128GB max if you just want a boot drive and you aren't doing heavy read/write workloads.

same card as aftermarket one but with shit cooler and more expensive

Again, case is subjective. If you like it, go for it. Personally though, if I was in the "fuck price, I want nice things" bracket, I'd go with the Phanteks Enthoo Lux if you like LEDs or the Phanteks Enthoo Evolv Atx Glass. I'm also partial to the Nzxt s340 elite for it's ease of cable management and installation, but I'm running much more modest hardware.
For graphics, just get literally any aftermarket cooler with an open shroud that you think will look nice. The FE cards are hot, loud, and can't hold a boost clock that great. EVGA's one is bretty gud and looks neutral.

As for price cutting, there's a lot of things to ask.
What are your storage needs like? Lots and lots of games and media? 500gb will run out quick. Just a few main games? 250gb ssd for boot and a 1tb hdd ought to cover you for years. I have that combo and after 18 months i've used 110gb on my ssd and 350gb on my hdd. But everybody's needs vary. The 500gb might be the perfect solution for you. I dunno.
Are you considering custom cables for aesthetics? If not, A semi-modular psu as opposed to fully modular is a great way shave a few bucks.
I was screwing around on pcpartpicker, and cutting the most obvious corners I only managed to drop the price like $100, but I typed all this shit out so I'm still posting it.

>Replying to a thread stating that you've reported or "saged" it, or another post, is also not allowed.

Enjoy the ban

What's the best 1080 TI?

Building ontop of this, the best 1070?

that's fucking difficult. First off, you need everything used.
Your best bet is to hunt on craigslist or your local equivalent (you said $ so I assume you're US or canada and can use CL), find an old ass "office" pc with sandy bridge or ivybridge i3 in it or if you can find something with newer or with an i5 that would be awesome. You can get them sometimes for like $50 or lower, but it's used hunting so your mileage may vary.
Obviously an i3 and igpu won't play games very well so you need a graphics card. This one might be difficult. The power supply in "office" pcs are usually weaksauce 320w units, so you need a low power graphics card. For anything relatively modern, this only leaves you with gtx 750ti, because the newer 75w cards probably won't be lying around used yet. You probably can get a 750ti for $60, or maybe $45-50 if you can haggle.

are sound cards worth the money?

im a bit of an audiophile and im looking at building a new machine. my motherboard is a Z720 xpower gaming with Realtek ALC1220 onboard audio. assuming that ive got high quality speakers/headphones is that good enough for high quality audio? or do i want a dedicated sound card? if so what card would i want?

The cheapest one with 2 or 3 fans and an open shroud. If you're buying a 1070 go this route because buying "oc" models is a scam.
If you're buying a 1080ti and the stock clocks aren't enough for you, the Asus strix one has 3 fans and a gigantic fuggin heatsink, so you should be able to overclock the snot out of it. If you aren't overclocking, the Zotac AMP! extreme has the highest out-of-the-box core clock.

If my PC alredy includes a big SSD (500B), I can take a basic 2TB Barracuda drive and there's no reason to got with a 2TB Firecuda one, right?

firecuda if you need to swap large ass (50gb+) files on a daily basis or if you need enterprise level warranty. otherwise yeah go with the cheapest 7200rpm drive you can find (as long as it's not a wd red or green)

Not really, you're way better off having a external DAC or some shit.
If you can get one for a cheap price (I got a DGX for 10 EUR), it's a nice addition, but for me, I need to move it to the most bottom slot, or else it picks up way too much electrical interference because
>NO SHIELDING

is a DAC different from a sound card? is so how are they different?

im a bit new to the whole HQ audio world so forgive me if i ask stupid questions. ive designed and built several machines but ive never focused on the audio attribute before.

99% of sound cards suck balls.

Maybe he doesn't want his CPU to go above 35*C?