Post your favourite connectors

Post your favourite connectors

SCART

Mini-SAS

If you weren't using it for midi, it was a great joystick port.

this.
shame that it didn't do 480p progressive scan, would've been perfect.

only way to outstand connection to humans

too flimsy

Criminally underrated

Plugs literally anything into your computer

I still have one in my room, I don't even use IDE anymore but there's something about the cable that's so awesome.

IDE is one of the most satisfying cables to plug in.

Small, reverseable, fast. Basically all you could want in a data connection

This + power transfer for phones is great.

Observe

Step aside, bitches.

Literally a nightmare. Nobody ever puts the complete list of capabilities of their devices' USB-C ports on their spec sheets.

>accidentally bent a pin on my motherboard when trying to plug it in because those stupid fuckers at Gigabyte put the USB connector right next to the CPU, so I had to angle it in because of my CPU cooler
>no more front panel USB for me

It can be a bitch to pull out though

So grab some needle nose pliers out of your tool box and straighten it out. Then plug it in before you install the cooler this time. How much of a brainlet do you have to be to need to have this explained to you?

NO! I had to live whith this shit for many years. no retention worth shit. if the VCR image or sound quality is shit, it's usually a loose SCART and plugging them into the backside of a TV was annoying as fuck.

XLR are nice.

Because I didn't realize I bent the pin and kept pressing down on it, breaking it off. And you couldn't install the USB header first, the heat sink hung over too much.

>IDE with notch
The really old ones didn't even have that. You had to know that the red line was supposed to line up with pin 1 on the drive and mobo header. You also had to set your master/slave jumpers correctly on the drives if you wanted to share the bus (then cable select came waaaaay late in its life).

Shit: the connector

>Amd cpu connector

>plugging them into the backside of a TV was annoying as fuck

No more annoying than any other type of cable.

The real problem is retards designing TV's (and computers) with the connectors at the rear instead of on top where any normal person would put them.

I agree with but I have to post this.

I also like the awkwardness of 25pin serial, LPT and DVD-I with its overcomplicated set of contacts.

From modern ones, USB type A, best thing ever, really.

kekked

Superior taste I see here.

DMS-59, the avatar of pain, despair and suffering. At least if you are buying a cheap graphics card from e-bay and don't check it out properly.

Currently data hoarding from 10yr old HDDs and can confirm

really useful

>No more annoying than any other type of cable.
yes more annoying because aligning them was a huge pain in the ass. no haptic feedback whatsoever.

that fucker didnt even work on my iphone 6s jailbroken on iOS9.2.1

unfucking believable.... also doesnt do 24bit properly

why would you fuck with adapers on a 6s? It still has 3.5mm out.

Europeans had the right idea with SCART, but the dream wasn't realized until HDMI came along.

FireWire was port but couldn't escape being labeled as an "Apple port" and received lousy manufacturer support as a result. It was great for digital audio and video cameras of the era.

kek I remember back in the day crapple pissed off a bunch of macfags by using some shitty FW chipset that caused unfixable audio buzz. Eternal reminder of crapple's eternal shittiness

>IDE in 2007
fucking pleb

It looks so much like the original GameBoy's link cable.

It really fucking does.

'member me Sup Forums?

Mechanical keyboards still use these for some reason.

I've heard the FW400 connector was based on the Game Boy's link cable.

>some reason
in contrast to micro USB they are actually reliable

USBmini became so popular that just about everybody was packing these cables in, then micro comes along and suddenly nobody packs cables. I wound up throwing away a good number of these cables. They were weirdly unreliable when it came to stable connections and power. Still, USB micro-C superspeed is an abomination.

Then when will they make the jump to USB B or C?

Yep, mine does.

I still use those regularly for a few devices, namely external HDD enclosures.

>USB micro-C
What?

Still easier than HDMI

>>USB micro-C
>What?

I think he means a micro-B to type-C cable.

Though personally I don't see what's wrong with it, as a transitional solution.

I have the reversible USB-A. Keeps me worrying that flimsy sheet inside will break or wear down eventually.

>tfw the pins are bent

This

Fuck HDMI

I'm retarded. Micro b.

Pic very related

Being this exceptionally ugly makes me feel really comfy about this connector.

Seanet is the best connector made:
>7 Pins
>Can be attached in any orientation
>Can handle Serial, Video and 26VDC
>Hydraulic compensation pass through
>Built in diagnostic board and diagnostic LEDs
>Quick connect/disconnect
Burtonfags on suicide watch

I love how it's just micro USB 2.0 A and B side by side. One port that can accept three different connectors.

Anyone saying this did not get to plug many SCART cables in his lifetime.

Agree, it's horrible, but kind of a good solution for the transition to USB-C

fight me

Especially satisfying when setting up a whole stereo rack.

Not sure if that is true. 2.0 B micro works, but that smaller auxiliary part is not compatible with anything I think.

I hate this because some LCDs use it isntead of DVI, and because graphics cards and mobos have it when they could have DisplayPort.

>screwed in tight to monitor
>try to get it off
>too tight
>use wrench to screw off
>connector is so old plastic screws break off
>vga cable is now permanently in monitor

Huh, I always thought the smaller port was micro A and that it'd have the same functionality. Either way it at least works with micro B for sure.

>wrenching a screw
Why didn't you just get a screw driver and break the tension?

Absolute sex

>samec
land of the real Tesla?

my only regret is that i didn't get to use it enough before it disappeared. made my super nintendo look N I C E

I still have a thing like this from the box of my Radeon x700, never used. Has a cute "HDTV" on/off switch.

mini-DP is the only good interface Apple has ever made

No wonder they abandoned it.

The DVI-D connector is my absolute favorite. And it's on it's way out, just like VGA. The "industry leaders" have agreed on DisplayPort and HDMI as the new "standards".

I have a worthless lazy NEET brother who like to show up and stay a week or weekend and that man-child always brings his XBox. I have two computer monitors with failed HDMI ports.

DisplayPort seems better than HDMI but it sure isn't like DVI-D. The DVI-D is a big connector with big pins on it and it's got screws to fasten it. Move a monitor around a bit with a DVI-D cable screwed into it and there's no problem. Have a XBox playing man-child plug and unplug a HDMI cable and move the monitor around with the cable attached and your HDMI port dies.

Yeah, that was a great connector.

Well.. it is small, reversible and fast. And it could be all you want in a data connection but it never is. Something with a USB type C port could have a lot of capabilities but usually they don't and since they never tell you and it's hard to find out it's a big pain. Connector itself is fine but not great.

oh yeah, that's something to admire

You seem to have forgotten about ADC

NIH DVI: The halfassed attempt.
Did they just made the outside bracket different shape, or did they at least swap some pins to be proper assholes?

It's DVI, USB, and power for the monitor

ADC was AIDS+asscancer

XLR

Oh, it has extra pin columns. I see. But you would need dongles with most monitors I guess.

Jesus Christ I'm already getting flashbacks to the days when I spent ages wiggling these cables, hoping that the picture clears up so I can finally start watching the videos I had rented.
That thing wins the award for being the most sensitive connector in the history of connectors.
Despite being a huge motherfucker, the difference between showing the picture and showing a bunch of static, was the tiniest of microscopical difference in how the plug sat in the connector.

Every ADC GPU I've seen also has DVI so unless you were running multiple monitors you'd be good. The really shitty part was if you wanted to use an ADC monitor with a normal DVI port, you needed a >$100 power brick as the monitor's only means of power was through the ADC cable.

I hate this connector, I hate it so much. I'm serious. And I've hated it since I was a child.

Every high quality or just decent amplifier or receiver I've owned or used since forever has had a headphone jack like this.

Every single pair of headphones and earplugs I've had ever has used the smaller 3.5mm plug.

Your picture even shows a 3.5mm plug that's plugged into an adapter!!

I hated FireWire and I'm glad it's dead. I got a fancy-at-the-time videocamera as a gift. Naturally it used FireWire so I had to get a card and cable to get that crappy interlaced video image from the camera tapes onto my computer. That's what FireWire was to me, a video camera cable and plug.

I see you're a cultured man as well

VGA is because it never comes out

I know that feel, those pins were always bent. I'm glad these connectors are going away. Interestingly I've never had a mouse or keyboard become unusable because of the connector. The pins could always be straitened and work fine.

mini-DP vs DP annoys me.
> have 3 monitor setup
> graphics card has 2 mini-DP and 1 HDMI and 2 DVI ports
> buy new graphics card, 2 DP ports, 2 HDMI and 1 DVI
> can't use old miniDP-DP cables

My personal favorite. Dualshock controllers, Sansa Clip, etc.

Bad goy. Digital audio is the future, goy!

Gameboy Micro port

Feels so solid

Music of my youth went through this.

And speakers used this.

FireWire was fucking awesome.

I don't give a shit what people say VGA just werks, whether it be an old CRT or even on LCD TVs. Some TVs look like hell when you use HDMI on a PC.