Windows Phone is dead

>Microsoft phone revenue fell to $5m last quarter, from $1.4bn two years ago

>According to the company's 10-Q filing to the SEC for Q3 FY2015, its phone hardware revenue for that quarter totalled $1.397 billion. One year later, in its 10-Q for Q3 FY2016, Microsoft said that phone revenue had fallen by $662 million, reducing it to $735 million.

>Today, as Microsoft published its earnings report for Q3 FY2017, it revealed that its "Phone revenue declined $730 million". Based on its earlier financial disclosures, that means the company's phone hardware revenue fell to just $5 million for the entire quarter ending March 31, 2017.

Press F to pay respects.

Other urls found in this thread:

build.microsoft.com/.
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

They haven't released a phone since the 950/950XL in 2015, what did you expect?

>goes to pay respects
>no app for paying respects

juts press F few times.

FFFF

how the fuck did they fuck up so bad??? billions to $5mil in 2 years?!?!

honestly, i'm surprised it survived this long.
Never, not in a single moment of its existence, it seemed like a better choice than android.
Plus that design cancer made sure not even uninformed impulse buyers fell for it.

M$ is doing a good thing by integrating full windows with windows phone. It's still pretty niche, but I think this'll at least give windows phone some kind of limited future. No way can it catch up any other way.

i keep seeing windows phone placements in movies and tv shows

Is it just MS's nature to be flip-floppy on hardware, or is their current CEO still all 'software first'

I almost hope they spin off their surface division to save one of the few decent hardware companies.

>There will never be a good Intel phone

The Berenstain universe was a mistake

>i keep seeing windows phone placements in movies and tv shows
really?? MS is then BEYOND RETARDED. they need to fire half that shit company.

It's been dead for years, man. I was there when it died. Microsoft killed it.

Kek. Yeah, it never had apps but Microsoft managed to fuck up everything even more. I was living alright without the apps when the hubs worked, the e-mail client wasn't so buggy, and it had a decent music app. They killed the hubs, the music app, the e-mail client and much more without catching up in the other aspects of the OS that sucked.

Now I regret a bit waiting so much before moving to Android. Feels like wasted time.

Shame, I liked Microsoft phone interface more than Android or ios>

So did I, before they ruined it with WP8 that is.

Going into hardware and cancumer/casual space was a mistake

Trying to outapplel apple and outjewgle google only brought loss.

They should have stuck to enterprises and dev tools, not fickle gaymer shitlords.

Right now they have been actively destroying windows by breaking compatibility, rushing out useless features and focusing on datamining.

When gamers and devs leave DirectX for Vulkan shit will really look bleak. Soon all they'll have left is excel and outlook.

>can't even pass self signed certificates with windows phones

in the trash it goes

>CEO is a streetshitter

So is the ceo of google and apple have a flaming fagot as ceo

If they ported all the popular apps and made the interface similar to Android/ios, they wouldn't have failed

>When gamers and devs leave DirectX for Vulkan shit will really look bleak
I wouldn't hold my breath user. Even if I too wish for that.

They still have Corporate and Government in most of world under they control

Well the company I work tried a few times to make us use libre office (or whatever its current name) on our computers.
The only reason we changed back to MS Office was because the new software was absolute shit.
So yeah, you're right. But that's only because nobody else offers a barely decent alternative. Once there's an alternative, nobody's going to pay MS for something they don't need.

This.
They killed every single good feature of the os

>have the shittiest app store known to man, no popular apps whatsoever
>do nothing about it for the entirety of its existence
>it fails

wow, go figure

>best interface ever
>lumias were pretty good. Actually better than a lot of android devices
>not apps. Not even the most basic ones.
>no clover
WP apps for YouTube are the best ones tho.

Over 200 million people use Windows 10. They're doing spectacular.

If I wasn't in the Apple ecosystem I would have gone with a MS phone instead of Android desu.

Shame MS mobile is dead.

It's a shame because it was the best mobile OS, it just needed more app support.

Now we are back to a duopoly where both choices suck shit.

What's wrong with Android?

It died when pajeets stopped shilling the ever living fuck out of it on Sup Forums imo

It's slow and has zero concept of security?

>implying Windows phone was ever alive

Good, I got a lumia 920 once, my biggest tech related brain fart.
Awesome hardware and camera at the time, worst ui and app selection ever, it was there just to cripple the shit out of the device.
It's a good to see Nokia finally moving to Android a century later.

Are you implying Trump doesn't like street shitters?

Windows phones had a decent OS, but there was nothing to make it stand out from iOS or Android, and app developers avoided it like it had leprosy. Same thing happened to the (great) BB10. Until the phone world stops relying on apps, only Apple and Google's infrastructures will be valid.

>0%

Zenfone 2?

Microsoft is waiting until the surface phone

Sell that shit while you can still get few dollars for it.

/thread

>implying there are already report of Snapdragon 835 based Laptops.
Go figure Nutella doesn't want phones, he want to sell cheap hardware for hefty cash money

Is there any way I can have a Windows Phone-like UI on Android? I fucking loved the live tiles.

You mean wp10

Wp8.1 was great.

But WP10 was absolute crap, horrible performance and bugs. The few good reasons to use WP were completely destroyed with WP10. There was absolute no reason anymore not to chose android. Also even their own fucking apps were horrible on wp. The same Microsoft apps like Skype were a million times better on android/iOS.

Ah I have to correct myself.

The keyboard on wp is actually still very good. Much better than any android keyboard I ever tried. Only thing I really miss (apart from the neat UI) when I was switching from wp to android.

MS killed a good phone brand (Nokia).
Imagine if Nokia used Android instead of a retarded OS without apps, it would still be as successful as it was back in the 3310 days.

Youtube apps for windows are god tier

I wonder when Microsoft will officially announce its death. The platform has been in limbo since 2016...

>Imagine if Nokia used Android
They do as of recently.

Posting from one right now. Still runs great.

Interface was better last time I tried a windows phone. Almost bought one because of it. App situation was the big killer. Need a basic set of default apps etc.

>tfw I fell for the windows phone

Why this happened anyway?

8.1 Mobile was really nice and pleasant in use. But since it "upgraded" to Win10 Mobile, everything went to shit.

My battery could hold on for 3-4 days, now it hold out for 1-2. Simply sitting at lecture and making photos of presentation for 2 hours ate 50% of my battery. 50 fucking percent. No, nothing was running in the background and I disabled non-wifi internet connection.

MS keeps removing apps on updates too. One day I wanted to listen to radio and guess what? Poof, no radio, MS officialy "ceased to support it" and OUTRIGHT DELETED IT FROM MY PHONE. I was extremely mad since all "free" alternatives in Store were either filled with tons of ads or having half the functionality (like unable to save favorite stations or showing station name and song playing). Sure, you want to drop support, go for it but why removing it from people's devices?

And last week it removed Skype from my phone for no reason as well. AND yesterday turned out that weather app from local TV station close itself right after launching for no reason as well.

Im fucking mad, Lumia 640 is my first "smart" phone and when I was really happy with it during 8.1 days, now its slowly becoming next to useless.

Why?

Interface is the best thing about Windows Phones

Who could have predicted this?!

:^)

What do you dislike about the design?

>Why?
Microsoft Management? Some executives deciding some bullshit?

Also now it's time to move to android. I switched from a Lumia 920 to a Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 Pro and I'm very satisfied. Only the camera is kinda shit.

Current Xiaomi Devices are prolly even better.

3rd worlders are not the best metric to go by tho

>Also now it's time to move to android

Im not wealthy enough to change phones so often. I mean, I have this one for like two years now, its still pretty fresh.

windows phone is still best dumbphone os

I think they're still planning to launch a Surface phone this year or the next.

More will be known at the Build conference they're going to have in May build.microsoft.com/.

Rumours are they don't just want to make a phone, but create a new category of devices, just like they tried with the other surface products.

Could be something like a mini-PC the same size as a regular smartphone, but capable of running x86 applications.

>I have this one for like two years now
my condolences
I switched a year ago

Windows phone was always dead.

What's the news supposed to be here?

When people have a choice, Windows always loses. The only thing that has ever kept Windows alive in any format is massive corporate & government contracts, signed off on by idiots at stupid levels of power who don't know a fucking thing about productivity or usability.

At the consumer level, people have been trying to find any alternative to Windows for decades. With recent microsoft invasion of privacy for profit, nobody in their right mind would choose a Windows system if they had any serious option.

My 70 year old mother last year begged me, literally crying, to get Windows 10 off her computer and replace it with anything else that works. The entire interface is so fucked that she couldn't do almost anything. Installed linux Mint, ran her through the basics, she's wonderfully happy. Asked me why her computer didn't come with that to begin with.

mfw there is not a single app to justify switching to ios or android

Every time they've tried to make a phone they've failed, miserably. Why would anybody bother trusting them again?

yeah but they are all shit phones. if nokia started on android around the same time as lg and smasung they would be top now

Windows 10 could never run efficiently on anything other than x86-64. Even then it runs like garbage

>The entire interface is so fucked that she couldn't do almost anything. Installed linux Mint

That makes no sense. You can't do shit in any linux without having basic knowledge about the system and bash. Also people like that mostly just need to be able to open a web browser and maybe write something in word.

>using the smiley with a carat nose

When will you accept the hard reality that the Surface phone is a vaporware?

It still wouldnt be as good as iphones. It would be just another poordroid brand

i love cortana ,and like wp , wtf with microsoft ? fucking android

All this shit case MS-NOKIA smells like everyone wanted to get rid of nokia from the market. Started with puting elop the saboteur in there.

We all knew it for at least two years. No new phones, fuck all advertising even in third world countries where the market was open, shit updates. Skydrive and this killed off any goodwill Microsoft had left with me.

Fuck off Nadella

Windows phone had the potential for great enterprise support but they fucked up, as well as not knowing how to fucking deal with corporate clients. They fucked up with universal apps taking forever to show up for what few there are. If they had an android runtime emulator like BB did at least that's something.

My company was ready to buy in big to this to replacing aging blackberries. Corporate management through existing MS tools is easy and needs no additional training. We were ready to by thousands of units but weren't able to get any deals with them like we were able to out of blackberry.

>> reading this thread
I don't feel alone anymore

Should have paid respects when Windows mobile 6 was a thing.

WP was just the beginning of the end.

The N9 was miles ahead of the iPhone

They are so stubborn and have fuckloads of money. Their products seem to be failures even before they hit the market. They announce an idea, people bash it and they still release it. It's top kek every time.

>mfw there is not a single app to justify using a smartphone

>The N9 was miles ahead of the iPhone
LMAO... what fucking universe are you from?

Get a launcher, there's heaps of them

>full feature browser
>torrent downloader
>universal remote
>car starter

I've also thought about setting up a service in my house so I can remotely unlock/lock my doors and turn my lights n shit on/off, but it kind of seems like overkill and would be pretty expensive even if I do it myself

Kek, WP doesn't even have basic apps like Waze or Snapchat.

Seems to run pretty fine on phones they already introduced that shit to fampai. I'd be pretty cool with using it if I needed a portable desktop PC for whatever reason.

I have a Windows Phone, what should I do with this?

>Pull out phone,
>Start built in map app with maps stored locally
>turn on traffic layer

Don't even have to tell Israel (Waze) where I'm going to get directions. Technology!

>I have a Windows Phone, what should I do with this?

an x86 phone would be pretty baller desu. I don't trust Pajeetsoft to not utterly fuck it up though.

Nadella was a mistake

>Windows Phone is dead

Strange, mine is still working and getting regular updates. If MS don't have new phones out by the time mine dies I will be buying an iPhone.

>Windows working in something that isn't x86

>
>It's slow and has zero concept of security?

Just install a custom ROM and use ublock origin.

Android is so much better. Apps are actually free.

Not really. You can click the browser and Bam it works. Windows is another story.

With their universal apps, it may work. Though I honestly wonder how many people use the Store at all on their computer

What phones would that be? Surely you aren't talking about the current """""Windows""""" 10 mobile.

People bash it because their ideas are shit or cursed with something dumb.
People were hyped for Windows 10 until they found out the advanced botnet it was.

>full feature browser
>wp
KEK. Try using an iOS or Android phone for once, dude.

It sucks that I originally bought into this platform for good, cheap phones like the 830 but now a days all that's basically available is a shitty flagship or $600 HP all in one that isn't on contract anywhere. Ah well.

All of those are just web wrappers...