/tpg/ - ThinkPad General

Previous thread: IRC: #/tpg/ on irc.rizon.net

Other business laptops are also welcome in /tpg/ (e.g. Dell Latitude/Precision, HP EliteBook/ZBook).

New to /tpg/ or looking for purchasing advice? (hint: use the advice request template, it makes life easier)
pastebin.com/nBqTEbHn

If you're looking for purchase advice, READ THE BUYERS GUIDE FIRST. Then post, stating budget and requirements (e.g. size and performance).

Don't buy anything OTHER THAN T, X AND W/P SERIES if you want the Real ThinkPad Experience™

Recommended models:
T420 - 14", normal size
X220 - 12.5", ultraportable

Used ThinkPad buyers guide:
ktgee.net/tpg

xsauc buyers guide:
dankpads.com

EPP discount for new ThinkPads (USA & Canada only, usually 15%+ off):
pastebin.com/JVwVGVTW

Helpful links and resources (Wiki, lookup tools and wallpapers):
pastebin.com/DYjEnVq1

Other urls found in this thread:

ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-Core-i5-2540M-2-60Ghz-4GB-160GB-SSD-Webcam-/382066483982?hash=item58f4efe30e:g:nwwAAOSww9xZBjtS
pages.ebay.ie/help/buy/bidding-overview.html
github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-X220-12-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-4GB-NO-HDD-Battery-/391751668376?hash=item5b36381298:g:aUoAAOSwfVpYq1Sp
reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/68n34l/the_worst_thing_about_lenovo_laptops_a_close/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Original OP image.

HP EliteBook 2570p > peasant-tier lelnovo chinkpad x230

>buying an american computer

Naisu desu ne

Anyone use their Thinkpad with an external GPU? Setups?

I own E550, i know its shitty, it broke two times. Now I'm trying to buy new Thinkpad and choosing between T420 and W520. I study as an software engineering in japan. after one year i will go back to my low-class country, Soo which one should I buy???

Are you going to buy one with a Japanese keyboard?

>iso
I would if ansii

It seems so

That's too bad.

>buying chink shit

I have no business being on this board, so I can't provide any context at all. But the W520 is a monster. I think it's the last Thinkpad with the oldschool keyboard besides he W700ds which is like, a holy grail.

If the T420 offers enough performance for you then it's really only added weight + 1080p screen for watching animu, or smol and lighter. But a 1080p W520 isn't guranteed, even if common.

W520, no contest.

T420 screen is god awful, the worst out of all ThinkPads. This a bold statement and I'm sure other anons are eager to disprove me if I'm wrong.

I don't think anyone has such a gigantic buyer's remorse to defend T420/T430 screen. It's absolute trash, and it should be illegal to advertise such shit as "premium lenovo screen"

How does it compare to the W500's screen? Do you know? At least the 1920x1200 model.

It wasn't very bright. I had to max out the brightness to use it indoors, and it still wasn't bright.

You are literally comparing the best budget ThinkPad screens to the worst.

The W500 series screens reproduces colors better than some modern ThinkPads. They're still tn so you need to tilt it accordingly to see the results. Still better than the t420 screens which will always have colorshift regardless of where you look at it.

Thank you for the patient reply. And, I understand, now. I never really saw it that way, even though obviously when you give it thought the performance line will outperform the others...

There's an X220 grade A refurb 30 minutes from me for £100.
Has a 9-cell, 128GB, 8GB DDR3 i5-2540m and fingerprint scanner.

Worth it?

yes, check all the stuff in the used buyers guide in the OP and use Common Sense 2017™ and make sure you're happy with its condition. Though it really comes down to if you really need it or just buying it as a Sup Forums meme

Is there anything wrong with this that I'm not seeing? The bid seems way too low.

ebay.ie/itm/Lenovo-Thinkpad-X220-Core-i5-2540M-2-60Ghz-4GB-160GB-SSD-Webcam-/382066483982?hash=item58f4efe30e:g:nwwAAOSww9xZBjtS

There's 2 days left. Most people don't bid until the last minut. No OS could be scaring away normies too.

Check for any white spots on the screen before buying

There is literally no purpose behind bidding any time except the "last minute" if that. You only need to be the last bidder to get it.

I kinda thought the same thing, but it's nice to leave it for a while to let yourself mull over it. Also to give myself time to see if all the cool kids at Sup Forums approve of it.

Currently have an acer tracel mate p253 which is alright. But i'm looking to replace it with something more robust and install OSX alongside for Fedora for work.

just don't be that faggot that waits until the auction is ending to bid.

over

and over

and over

again only to find out someone else bid lower than what you would be ok with but they still won because you didn't bid high two days ago.

>copped a used T420 for $250 bucks

I did good?

lol

Not him, but what?

Never taken part in auction before but what do you mean bidding over and over again? Bidding over your own bid? For what purpose and to what extent? And you would still lose the auction to a dude who bid less than you, but earlier?

Please explain... I don't understand why and how any of what you're implying could be true...

specs and condition? You could've probably gotten it for much cheaper depending on where you live

T470 or T470s? I'm looking for a 5-6 year investment here people.

>inb4 X1

You
Need
To
Go
Back

I do. T430, i5 3320m, no dgpu, gdc beast adapter, 1050ti, cheap 250w psu I got from a store.
Feels good man

I think he's talking about how ebay bidding works(it's different to how youd think).

pages.ebay.ie/help/buy/bidding-overview.html

I think I'll place something on this in a few hours if I don't notice anything wrong with it.

>pages.ebay.ie/help/buy/bidding-overview.html

Nigga no offense but I ain't reading that shit just to understand an out of context post by some arsehole on the internet. Like it's nice he broached the topic of ebay's non-intuitive rules, but that article's context being needed only affirms that his post fails to support itself.

Good luck ln the bidding though. Sorry for possible misinformation earlier. I assumed the last and highest $ bid always got the product.

It's a really weird system. You can place a max bid of $1000 on an item and still get it for $10. Thanks broski.

tried an egpu setup with my x250

doesn't work unfortunately

uhm, how it was supposed to work?
It has no expresscard slot and no PCIe TB. sooo?

ngff

So that's what they mean by "ricing it"...

Does it work with any eGPU as long as you have an external ATX PSU to power it up?

Regular T470

E470 yay or nay?

Depends on price and specs, but if you do buy it you'll have to stuff it in your bag along with a lot of styrofoam to travel with it. Or be careful you don't bump into something with force.

It should. I've heard of people using amd gpus (because nvidia should go themselves honestly) or even a dell DA-2 power supply or even high wattage 12v laptop chargers.

Quick rundown on why to bid at the last second on eBay:

The practical effect SHOULD be the same, but the reality is different. Everyone has a set "max bid" in their minds, a number they don't want to exceed.

HOWEVER, when someone is outbid, their instinct (or stupidity) to be the winner kicks in, and they may choose to go past their previous "max bid" and hemorrhage money they would not have put up had you not bid.

By bidding at the last second, you give them no time to respond or think about upping their max bid. They wanted to pay $100 for an item, and at the last second you decided to put in your max bid of $101. If they weren't watching the item like a hawk at the time of the auction's end, they couldn't up their max bid.

The second effect is that a bidding war inflates the price. If they bid $100 while the item was $10, the item price becomes $11. When someone bids $20, the item jumps to $20. By bidding at the last second, you also remove the possibility of someone screwing you by simply guessing what your max price is, and bidding just below it to cause you to pay the highest possible price. If they want the item anyway, there is no risk to them.

Someone should make a site where all bids are effectively hidden, and you don't know if you'll win until the auction ends. Seems like it would eliminate this issue.

Not really how bidding works though, the bidwar is part of the fun for some people

tell me one thing desu senpai
since you got gdc beast, which PCIe standard is used? 1.0? 2.0?
I was told long time ago if you got the detachable hdmi cable that means interface won't handle PCIe 2.0 x1 speeds (5Gbps). Is it true?

Buying woot.com refurbs?

COME user I NEED TO KNOW
I'm about to order this module

How gullible are you? You wanna pay $600 for a 2nd gen X1?

Not only is the price horrendous, but lmao I can't wait until you see the keyboard.

No choice but to deal with eBay then I guess

I got the full gen2 speeds on my gdc v8.4 on both an x220 and t420. My guess is stability can be affected by one or many things:
hw revision. more complaints about v7
adapter type. i'd trust expresscard over bare mpcie
laptop model. imagine the junk the people having problems might be using
psu quality. get a da-2, not some chink atx psu
card model. i bet a lot of 250w cards coupled with shit psus caused problems
was all the shit grounded properly? 100% sure?
actual electronic interference. i also have a pe4c and it'd get fucked up by my shitty 60s kenwood amp when i turned it on 5 ft away

the old egpu adapters were kind of a dark art to get running and i suspect people would jump to conclusions as to the exact reason why shit wouldn't work

so it's not a question easily answered. it will probably work, but life is full of shitty surprises

ok, that's enough I need to know.
I just ordered v8 with 34mm expresscard module. I hope I won't have to play with DIY eGPU software to make it work.

I don't need 16 gigs of ram as an office Excel slave, right?

Depends who's paying for it

Recommend a business laptop for my dad under 700 dollars? He's moderately interested in the thinkpad meme.

I bought a T440 yesterday and I'm still waiting for it to arrive in the mail. Is it an alright computer to edit video or play some games on it, and if not, is it worth upgrading the specs on it?

+ 750Ti 2GB OC with no 6pin atx port
I really, really hope I won't have to play with DSDT override to make it work.

need a battery for my x220. someone recommend me one.

genuine 9cell one if you need more than 6 hours of battery life
genuine 6cell one if you don't

what about aftermarket batteries?

I've tried 3 different ones.

They are all GARBAGE, and even when advertised as 94Wh (same as OEM), ALL THREE were below 80Wh.

Avoid.

They're usable on the x220, in contrast to the x230, but they're usually lower quality.

i figured. the descriptions sound shady.

in x230 you can remove the battery check via EC patch.
Still, 3rd party replacements are utter shit

Whats the EC patch?

github.com/hamishcoleman/thinkpad-ec
instructions in readme

How are they worse off?
I'm looking at getting a 9 cell for my x220.

Is the W540 price depressed because of the keyboard or is the W541 overpriced for the same reason? There seems to be a ridiculous disparity on ebay for machines with virtually identical specifications.

Is the X1 Carbon worth it?

It's the touchpad and keyboard.

What's the cheapest thinkpad I could get right now that wouldn't be slow as fuck with a lightweight linux on it?

I ordered a t470, my first ever laptop, from lenovo on april 25th. Said itd ship in 5-7 days. Expected to to be here a few days after my birthday (may 6.) Tracking says it'll ship may 10 and arrive may 20. I hate waiting for things to arrive. I don't want to sound like an impatient spoiled child, but I really hate having to wait weeks to get something.

Is there a chance it could be delayed further? What's been your experience with ordering from lenovo?

>x41t fluxuates in temperature a bit too much
>going from 50-60c while under load, fan revs inconsiently
>probably time to repaste
>take it all apart
>processor is on other side of mobo
>no fucking clue how to get to that side of the mobo
turns out you have to take apart the entire screen assembly to disconnect the wires in the screen, in order to unscrew the mobo and get to the heatsink and fan

fuck it, ill deal with a somewhat annoying laptop, fuck that, at least i got it properly cleaned

i also made a horrible, gross misake, while taking off the keyboard i pulled off the left mouse button and put it in my my mouth to hold it for a second
the nasty on the edge of the mouse button was not a pleasant taste

Huh.

Having never owned a laptop before, is that something I should care about or will I even notice?

yo, anyone got an x301 they can show next to either a w5xx or a t420s, I want to try and get an idea of size

Keyboard, probably not.

Touchpad, you really want to swap it with the W550 one. It's like $20-30 for a new one and takes a few minutes.

Is this worth it? ebay.com/itm/LENOVO-THINKPAD-X220-12-Laptop-Intel-Core-i5-2520M-2-50GHz-4GB-NO-HDD-Battery-/391751668376?hash=item5b36381298:g:aUoAAOSwfVpYq1Sp

wtf that's an amazing deal.

>Hard drive/caddy has been removed for security purposes.

What did he mean by this?

The caddy is made of very thin metal. You might cut yourself.

here.
What i am wondering is if it is worth the price, and if it is legitimate. Can anyone help me with that?

It seems legit enough. But when you consider that the battery (30$ or more) and charger (about 20$ brand new), you'll end up spending what a complete one would've been at anyways.

These are ok if you just need them for parts or if you already have the battery and charger. The HDD caddy and rubber is only about 5 dollars tho.

I recently got an X60s but I want to use KDE what's the best i386 option for KDE?

I have a stock t540p

>8b mem
>500gb rpm
>i5
>onboard gfx

do I upgrade anything in it?; if so to what?

Alright, I do not. Can anyone help me identify a better deal? Are there any good sites besides ebay to buy cheap ones?

Yes, the touchpad if you haven't already.
Then SSD.

thanks, ill go in that order.

been a few weeks with the m14x glossy 1600x900 panel (LP140WD2(TL)(G1) in my t420 and yeah it's a hell of a lot better. if you can find one for cheap (a dude on ebay has a few used ones for $35 each) it might make you hate looking at your t420 a little less

So I fucked up my keyboard a while back (somehow broke a few of the keyboard connectors on the actual laptop) and managed to jiggle it enough to get it into working order. Now it's fucked up again. Before, the top row didn't work/barely worked. Now, it looks like the whole keyboard doesn't work again, unless I hold down the esc and ~ key together, then the whole keyboard works except for 4, 5, and 6 as far as I can tell. None of this matters with my question, but I thought it was funny.
I was here a couple months ago with this issue If any of you remember me.

Question is, do any of you know what would be a good replacement I could put in place of the pins? It's smaller than the tip of any pins I have on hand, so I don't know how I could fix it without handing it off to someone with actual hardcore soldering supplies.

Not really relevant since it's chicklet keyboard criticism, but on the front page of reddit right now:

reddit.com/r/CrappyDesign/comments/68n34l/the_worst_thing_about_lenovo_laptops_a_close/

And yes, it's reddit. Feel free to greentext the word "reddit" to remind me.

obligatory
>reddit
I actually don't mind the new keyboard, It's not amazing but not terrible, I've used, w500, t420s, x230, t60 and the t420 and t60 are the best