I'm a mainland yuropoor looking for a cheap ultra portable laptop for when I'm out and about

I'm a mainland yuropoor looking for a cheap ultra portable laptop for when I'm out and about.
I need:
>long battery life (about 8 hours of browsing on Wi-Fi)
>small footprint (14" or under)
>HDMI out
>cheap (under 350€)
>can install GAHNOO+Linux (I'm not sure all devices support this)
>must be new, not buying used

I would like an IPS panel but that probably won't happen at that price point.

A passive cooling solution would also be preferred, but I'm not sure 6W CPUs are strong enough for browsing (with uMatrix, uBlock and a couple Greasemonkey scripts running) and some light programming/scripting without lagging annoyingly. I know a 15W Pentium 3805U is good enough for me.

I'm currently eyeing a Lenovo Ideapad 110S (110s n3060) for 199€. Do you guys have any better suggestions?

Other urls found in this thread:

gearbest.com/laptops/pp_602696.html?wid=21
techtablets.com/chuwi-lapbook-14-1/review/
cnx-software.com/2017/02/07/installing-ubuntu-17-04-on-chuwi-lapbook-14-1-apollo-lake-laptop/
jet.com/product/detail/9468d1dc57024af2b2f9d60c038f3cc0?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Cwin_Electronics_a1:Electronics_Computers__Accessories_Laptops_a1:na:PLA_785510854_39764717023_aud-155003204480:pla-302423966360:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15
ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-X220-Wunschkonfiguration-Win-7-Pro-/142095431866?var=&hash=item21158c38ba:m:mgXEnQ6tfFo7ATqAPGPBDYw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Save up a little more and get a Lenovo Yoga 710, or buy one lightly used. They are objectively some of the most ultra portable, light, high proccessing laptops with great build quality.

That looks to be about 1000€, so no thank you.

It's not about not having the cash on hand, it's about a very real chance of getting it stolen/badly damaged.
I was already about to shill out over 1000€, but decided against it for those reasons.

A cheap device getting destroyed/stolen would just make me annoyed.

Basically I just need something to whip out on train/bus/plane/park/pub and not give a single fuck if something bad happens to it. Keeping it under 400€ ensures that sort of attitude.

ASUS L502SA seems like a nice option as well but it comes with a 500GB HDD and that sounds worse than 32GB of eMMC.

get an x220 with 9-cell
passive adapter for dual link dp
use the 150 yuros left to get a decent SSD/upgrade the RAM

That is one beastly machine and I did think about it, but I have no idea where to get my hands on one (USA fags have it a lot easier). Also dealing with scammers is not really something I would be into, and besides, buying used things is always a crapshoot and not something I would like risking taking up my time.

Anyone have good experiences with chromebooks?

And are there any EU online shops that ship to other countries within the EU?

Used to have the cheapest acer 11" chromebook. Pretty alright, but you'll spend at least 4 hours compiling if you want to run gentoo. You also have to remove a screw and void your warranty if you don't want to ctr+l everytime you boot. Battery life was about 12 hours in vim and 50% brightness. You don't need custom keymap, but if you use emacs, you'll want to bind super to some other key (caps-lock on the acer) because most chromebooks don't have super.

gearbest.com/laptops/pp_602696.html?wid=21

techtablets.com/chuwi-lapbook-14-1/review/

Thinkpad
Is
Always
The
Answer

>Ultraportable
How do you carry your laptop normally? Is one kg so much that your neet noodle arms tremble and struggle?

I'm more of a Mint babby, so no compiling for me. Good to know about the non-existant super key, that's a bummer.

Don't have one. I care about the size, not weight.

Now this is what I was hoping for, a fantastic find! And apparently you can slap Ubuntu on it cnx-software.com/2017/02/07/installing-ubuntu-17-04-on-chuwi-lapbook-14-1-apollo-lake-laptop/
I'll do a bit of research but I might just buy this thing, thanks user!

Try xubuntu

Better than mint in every way

There are cheap yogas that are powerful enough to do everything you would need to do. Here's a link to one.

jet.com/product/detail/9468d1dc57024af2b2f9d60c038f3cc0?jcmp=pla:ggl:NJ_dur_Cwin_Electronics_a1:Electronics_Computers__Accessories_Laptops_a1:na:PLA_785510854_39764717023_aud-155003204480:pla-302423966360:na:na:na:2&code=PLA15

I bought one from Best Buy open box for $360 and it's orgasm tier, I'm telling you, get the fucking yoga.

I also highly recommend searching ebay or craigslist for a used one, there are ones in near new quality with a few hundreds taken off.

the lenovo 100s doesn't have good linux support
source: own a lenovo 100s

>long battery life (about 8 hours

Just get a tablet or any cheap generic laptop, or a chromebook

A chromebook

Will give it a whirl in a VM, but cinnamon is my favorite DE I've yet tried.

This appreas to be for USA only. I, however, live in the EU.

Ebay for EU is UK based and they don't always ship to mainland. Craigslist is used stuff that I'm not interested in.

Bummer, mind giving some details? What didn't work etc.?

Come on man, watching chinese cartoons on low brightness is not exactly draining the battery.

Hard to find a EU retailer that ships wherever within the EU.

>Hard to find a EU retailer that ships wherever within the EU.
Take a look at the HP Chromebook G4, that's what I've got. Paid 320 euros (3000 NOK) for it. Celeron N2940, 4GB RAM, 32GB eMMC. I only got it so I could have a light, cheap machine to bring to university. It's got an SD card reader, but it's probably trash.

I live in yurop and I bought it from the UK ebay almost 2 years ago.

It's still as good as it was on the day I got it. If you are not bothered by the 1366x768 screen, it's a solid piece of tech.

Finding a decent one for less than 350 won't be easy, though. I paid a bit over that for one with an i7, an SSD and a 9-cell battery. Just have to face the fact that resellers are scum here.

Also, have you considered the german ebay?

Stuff like ebay.de/itm/Lenovo-X220-Wunschkonfiguration-Win-7-Pro-/142095431866?var=&hash=item21158c38ba:m:mgXEnQ6tfFo7ATqAPGPBDYw

That's not bad, are you running ChromeOS or something else?

Didn't even know they had a German site, I'll take a look.
How long does the battery last if you max out the CPU and screen brightness? And what OS do you run?
The resolution is not an issue.

Apparently GearBest can be shady and it can take weeks to receive an order, so I probably won't be buying from them. Too bad, the Chuwi is really nice.

>That's not bad, are you running ChromeOS or something else?
I'm just runing ChromeOS for now. I only use it a couple of times per week, and usually it's with study groups that work with google docs.

fuck off mohammed.

>Bummer, mind giving some details? What didn't work etc.?
installing ubuntu and debian worked fine, but wifi drivers required custom compiling and configuring kernel modules last time i checked, and things like the power management and sound simply didn't work

the keyboard and touchpad also don't initially work, and since there's only 2 USB ports you'll need to install it with a keyboard only

Battery lasts me about 9 hours with reduced brightness, a bit less with it up. Windows 7

Good luck finding some chink delivery that comes quicker than few weeks, unless you buy DHL or another paid courier. After that youll end up paying import tax. Fuck that.

Acer cb3-131 with 4GB of ram.
10 hour of battery life, good enough for light programming/web browsing.
Fanless.
11"
200 euro
You can install gahnoo loonix on it.

Bummer, I can't really use Botnet:The OS. I'll have to google around and see if Linux will work on it.

Not a mohammed, but thanks, friend :^)

Thanks for coming back to the thread.
That sounds real fun. When was the last time you checked? And were you using LTS version of Ubuntu?
I really hope the 110s is better at support, I'll try to find it in a store and boot it off a stick, see what happens.

Thanks for the info, that's some real stamina. Yeah chink shit is probably not a good solution for me in this case. I think it's great if you don't care when/if the stuff arrives and are OK with gambling the cash away.

Great find, thanks! I'll look into this.

Doing this sort of research is really tiring, info is hard to come by and you're constantly disappointed by some shortcoming. So, thanks for contributing gentlemen!
If the thread dies I might make a new one with more research results.

>Not a mohammed, but thanks, friend :^)
KYS Abdul/Mustafa/dipshit.

Europoor = scum.

You have to be older than 18 to use this site.

Used "europoor" not to describe my actual financial situation (or location within the EU), but rather in jest - as one would call an american "amerifat".

But yes, does raise a valid point.

>with uMatrix, uBlock
mah nigga

>a couple Greasemonkey scripts running
anything in particular?

"fag" when used to describe a mac or windows user is generally used to describe an annoying person. Since that person is probably making an inane post, it's accurate. Europoor is a poor european. Amerifat is a fat american. I don't think you can really call yourself one of those without being both.

>Amerifat is a fat american
isn't that redundant?

>Thanks for coming back to the thread.
>That sounds real fun. When was the last time you checked? And were you using LTS version of Ubuntu?
>I really hope the 110s is better at support, I'll try to find it in a store and boot it off a stick, see what happens.
i think i last checked around 3 months ago, so stuff has probably changed since then

if you're up for the hassle its probably worthwhile, everything else about the laptop is great. the processor is fast, the keyboard is nice, the screen can be a bit washed out but otherwise great for the price. maybe the screen is improved for the 110S

install gentoo
sage

So what yoga do you recommend lads?
Buying used cuz poor.
There are too many yoga models and knowing Lenovo a lot of them might be shit unless you get a business one.

I use a Chuwi HiBook Pro as a cheap ultraportable. IIRC I paid about £230 for it including the keyboard. It's fine browsing with Firefox using ublock origin and https everywhere but laggy AF if I try to load vivaldi. You might get 8 hours browsing out of a single charge if you put it into battery saver mode. It might be a little below the sort of spec you're going for; maybe a Hi13 would be better. Apparently you can install Linux on them but YMMV.

>Bummer, I can't really use Botnet:The OS. I'll have to google around and see if Linux will work on it.
99% sure you can install Linux on all Chromebooks.

Not really, Sup Forums X, YouTube+. Stopped trying shit out when UserScripts got taken down, never bothered finding another source.
Also, who is this semen demon?

Well if you wish to be anal about it...

It's possible changes happened. I've just recently jumped on the loonix bandwagon so I don't have experience that far back. I'll see what happens at the store.

Where did you order it from? Also Atom is probably not the best choice for me, but I'm talking out my ass here.

I hope so, still annoying to have to go googling about linux for every device.