/hpg/ - Headphone General

>Headphone purchase advice
pastebin.com/fYZLW7Ub

Please put some effort into your requests and questions.

If you dislike a suggestion, explain why and try giving a better suggestion to whomever asked.

For sub-$50 headphones and IEMs, check out infographic in >Sup Forums wiki headphone FAQ:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php?title=Headphones

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

thomann.de/gb/samson_sr850_twin.htm
thomann.de/gb/samson_sr850.htm
rinchoi.blogspot.de/2012/12/sennheiser-hd800-part3-in-depth.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH
de.camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-ohrumschließender-Kopfhörer-beige/product/B0042A8CW2
ceneo.pl/
aliexpress.com/store/product/Breeze-audio-SE2-ES9018-ES9018K2M-USB-decoder-HIFI-audio-card-DAC-headphone/331129_32670431982.html
uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/product/B0126HISOO
pricerunner.co.uk/cl/94/Headphones
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Ewww anime op

Maki a shit. Just like Sennheiser.

Tell me, /hpg/, why are you not EQing your headphones?

Can I EQ my headphones to sound like HD800S?

If you think every open headphone above $200 retail price by well-known manufacturers can't be eq'd to sound exactly the same, you're retarded.
inb4 le epic eq'd $10 earbuds comeback

Depends on the headphones. If they are decent in a few key areas and you know what are you doing, sure. HD 800S seems like a pretty lousy target.

Pic source pls? :3

Reposting:

Tech illiterate here, my logitech g35 just broke, and I could use some advice on what to buy this time.

I'll be using them mainly for videogames and music, so no need for amazing sound quality. However, I'll be using them A LOT, so they would need to be comfortable, and as durable as possible. That said:

>Budget: ~100€ max
>Location: Spain
>Source: PC. Videogames, music, movies, skype... Nothing special
>Type: Full sized, closed. Noise cancelling a big plus
>Comfort level: Comfort>Sound quality. I don't want earrape either, but you get the idea.
>Past headphones: Tritton AX180, Logitech G35. Both broken at the band, even though I'm quite careful.

In short:
100€, comfortable, strong, noise cancelling, mic?

>hd800s
>not using a superior house curve as the target

I am but what are you doing there? What headphone is that plot and how did you obtain the measurement?

You can forget about ANC there. There are no good implementations of it in such low prices or headsets that come with it in general. ANC works fine against low frequency cyclic signals like air conditioner hum or stable engine noise. It doesn't help with higher frequencies at all and produces some noise as a result. Here I think it's for the best to get a pair of closed back headphones that provide an adequate amount of passive isolation.

One of the HyperX Cloud models would be my recommendation, see pic.

That's from Musaigen no Phantom World.

Post pics of your headphones with timestamp.

Not that user but what's the purpose here?

Curiosity. He claims that you can eq any heapdhones to sound like hd800, so he must surely own a pair or two.

>Budget
~50$/eur, flexible
>Location
Baltics
>Source
Laptop, mostly
>Type of headphone
Full
>Open or closed
Either. Sound quality is the priority
>Comfort level
As high as possible, I want to be able to wear them for several hours with minimal discomfort
>Sound signature
Probably neutral

I'll be mainly watching movies and listening to music.
Currently, I'm looking at Samson SR850. There's a great deal here, two of them for 38eur:
thomann.de/gb/samson_sr850_twin.htm
Found them thanks to user mentioning them in a previous thread as high value for the price. Reviews seem to be saying the same, I see praise for these everywhere.

Is it a good pick? Any feedback/suggestions appreciated.

>CloudX only $10 more than Cloud
nice

>two of them for 38eur
(Actually 63eur with shipping)

Whatever headphones someone owns doesn't validate or invalidate the claim made there in any way. Making a purchase doesn't educate anyone on the physics involved or what makes headphones sound like they do. It's completely irrelevant. You could understand everything needed here without ever laying a finger on a pair of headphones in your life.

>He claims that you can eq any heapdhones to sound like hd800
No, that wasn't claimed, but the price point explanation is weak as it's also not telling of sound quality.

I would comply with the SR850 if it fits into your budget.

Thanks, probably will. Waiting to see if there are any great last-minute suggestions, just in case.

>tfw too smart to buy Sennheiser
>buy a pair of Beyerdynamic DT-880
>eq them to be like the HD 600
>cheaper, better build quality and comfier

>what are you doing there?
Equalization against a target curve (the blue slope).

The top red curve is from an AKG K240S. I measured it using this method: put a few puffy cushions between the headphone cans, try to get a decent seal, then insert a measurement microphone between the cushion and the headphone.
Surprisingly the measurement is repeatable and correlates very well with what I hear, much better than curves from various web sites.

>Budget
probably at most $150 AUD
>Location
Western Australia
>Source
generic front panel, might look into a sound card of some sort
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
closed, fuck listening to people outside talking shit
>Comfort level
something I can wear for hours on end without needing to take them off
>Past headphones
my old PS3 "4Gamers" headset from when it first came out

>extras
not ridiculously long cord
built-in mic
preferably noise-cancelling mic too, so people don't here me breathing and typing

Why two? Also it doesn't come with velour like:

thomann.de/gb/samson_sr850.htm

>not EQing $5 earbuds to sound like HD600
Faggot

HyperX Cloud

The seal is definitely optimistic. What was the cushion made out of? Did you put the mic through it? That upper midrange gain around 2-3 kHz seems odd, too low in Q and a little too large in magnitude. The band above this isn't captured accurately on any coupler so I think you would do better by equalizing by ear using sine sweeps.

>Exactly the same
[citation needed]

I've grown tired of having this shitty little tripod bullshit on my desk, so I want to find a decent & cheap mic arm, and probably a shock mount/pop filter

No you can't, neither you can EQ HD800 to sound like HD600. I tried, it didn't work.

Typical response of a clueless person that thinks he knows the 'theory'.

>No you can't, neither you can EQ HD800 to sound like HD600. I tried, it didn't work.
You're just shit at EQing.

>I tried, it didn't work.
Well that's it then. All the data we need. EQ fags BTFO.

You sound very smart.

>Why two?
I have someone to share the other pair with, and it's such a great deal.
I feel like velour would take much more effort to keep clean. Is it that much more comfortable? I'm pretty sure I'm getting the batch of two, though. Are the ear cushions changeable? I've never done that.

>This comeback
Why is it so low effort?

Did you honestly expect anything more in return after not arguing against any points made, resorting into calling someone "clueless" and acting as if your own experience constituted as proof of something?

>Is it that much more comfortable? I'm pretty sure I'm getting the batch of two, though. Are the ear cushions changeable? I've never done that.
It's more comfortable but it's not that the faux leather is uncomfortable. And yes, it can be changed.

Koito is literally me. Literally me. No other character can come close to relating to me like this. There is no way you can convince me that Koito is not me. Koito could not possibly be anymore me. She is me, and nobody can convince me otherwise. If anyone approached me on the topic of Koito not possibly being me, then I immediately shut them down with overwhelming evidence that Koito is me. Koito is me, it is indisputable. Why anyone would try to argue that Koito is not me is beyond me. If you held two pictures of me and Koito side by side, you’d see no difference. I can safely look at Koito every day and say “Yup, that’s me”. I can practically see Koito every time I look at myself in the mirror. I go outside and people stop me to comment how similar I look and act to Koito. I chuckle softly as I’m assured everyday Koito is me in every way. I can smile each time I get out of bed every morning knowing that I’ve found my identity with Koito and I know my place in this world. It’s really quite funny how similar Koito is to me, it’s almost like we’re identical twins. When I first saw Koito, I had an existential crisis. What if Koito was the real me and I was the fictional being. What if Koito actual became aware of my existence? Did she have the ability to become self aware herself?

You couldn't be any less Koito if you tried.

>The seal is definitely optimistic
True, what happens bellow 50Hz is probably a bit fucked up.
>What was the cushion made out of?
A mix of wool and foam, densely packed.
>Did you put the mic through it?
Nope, I inserted it sideways. It's shaped like a long, thin stick so it won't disrupt the pseudo-seal too much.
>That upper midrange gain around 2-3 kHz seems odd
Blame AKG desu.
>The band above this isn't captured accurately on any coupler so I think you would do better by equalizing by ear using sine sweeps.
I already tried in the past, but I'm getting more repeatable and ultimately pleasant results with measurements.

>I tried, it didn't work.
SEAN OLIVE ON SUICIDE WATCH

>Sup Forums discussing headphones

This one just outright claims that "If you think every open headphone above $200 retail price by well-known manufacturers can't be eq'd to sound exactly the same, you're retarded.", implying that every headphone above 200$ can be EQ to sound EXACTLY the same. There are no points here, just something pulled out of the ass.

Then there is this one that even worse. Your typical imageboard tier argument with lots of fancy words and empty claims. Involving your also typical "u don't know shit, because you don't know how it works', without actually explaining anything and making an empty claim that "you could understand everything needed here without ever laying a finger on a pair of headphones in your life" without giving any arguments on the actual debate of EQ.

>Did you honestly expect anything more in return after not arguing against any points made, resorting into calling someone "clueless" and acting as if your own experience constituted as proof of something?
There are no points made, those are just assumptions pulled out of the ass with no backing nor even an explanation. One's experience is much better than just empty assumptions based on nothing. Also, next time you come to the restaurant and your soup tastes like sour shit chef will say "lol, where are de proofs? Your experience is subjective and does not constitutes as a proof, show me a chemical analysis that can pinpoint that the amount of the acidic components in that soup is higher than a standard norm and then we will argue on what is a standard"

Here is a pic, HD600 driver and HD800 driver. They are different structurally, and you can't EQ them to sound alike. There is a resonance at 5-6k that is impossible to EQ out completely, nor can you EQ the way sound waves are formed.
>rinchoi.blogspot.de/2012/12/sennheiser-hd800-part3-in-depth.html
>While the overall sound signature can be altered with modifications, it is virtually impossible to totally eliminate the peak.

So next time at least research if you can't get your hands on the actual thing to test instead of shitting up the thread.

Is the HD800S worth the $700 premium over normal HD800? I've been thinking of upgrading from my 5-years old HD600 lately...

>While the overall sound signature can be altered with modifications, it is virtually impossible to totally eliminate the peak.
He never mentioned EQ. It can be EQed out.

>show me a chemical analysis that can pinpoint that the amount of the acidic components in that soup is higher than a standard norm and then we will argue on what is a standard
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PH
Must suck being a middle school dropout.

delet this

It's worse. Just wait for the HD820.

Oke, another empty claim backed by nothing, you have to try harder.
It was an example of how people go full retard and disregard any experiance because it's not backed by something. Except that in my case it was.

Should I get refurbished hyperx cloud cores (35$) or some superluxes? Want to get superluxes since I already have a mic, but I'm concerned about the comfort. Only want them for gaming.

Status CB-1 + Boom pro or any 3.5 aux cable with a mic.

>Budget: ~100€
>Location: Germany
>Source: android phone, Windows laptop
>Type: iems
>Comfort Level: as comfortable as possible
>Sound Signature: balanced / neutral, I'd go for a little warm too
>Past Headphones: Sennheiser cx300ii

I gave my cx300ii to my brother and to have an excuse to buy new iems

Thanks in advance guys

Im looking for open headphones under 150€ (160$) with a detachable cable
Ive done research and I've narrowed it down to sennheiser HD 558 and Philips shp9500. 558 cost 20 more than shp9500, is there a noticeable difference?
Also id like to know which cables are compatible with these headphones, i looked but couldnt find anything. Are they both locked to propietary cables or any random cable is fine?

Can someone recommend me a cheap usb DAC to use with a laptop? I already have an amplifier
I need a USB one because my phone input on the laptop is shot

HD380 Pro.

-32dB isolation, neutral (although a bit higher bass) target, comfortable AF, sounds great, durable, detachable cable, works with any source (amp still helps if you like it real loud), within budget.

What shops are you looking at?

With that budget, you can get something better if you have some patience. Link related.

de.camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-ohrumschließender-Kopfhörer-beige/product/B0042A8CW2

>Budget: 400 PLN max
>Location: Poland. You can compare prices here: ceneo.pl/
>Source: PC, phone. Used for basically everything; watching movies, listening to music, gaming.
>Type: Full sized, closed
>Comfort: It's more important than sound quality for me.

Recently a friend brought this cute thing to a micro meet. It sounds better than the Fulla 2 to me desu.

aliexpress.com/store/product/Breeze-audio-SE2-ES9018-ES9018K2M-USB-decoder-HIFI-audio-card-DAC-headphone/331129_32670431982.html

There is a couple of versions, this Sabre one is the one that I tried.

Cheaper right now:
uk.camelcamelcamel.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/product/B0126HISOO

>Tries out a Sabre DAC.
>Measures like shit, because sabre.
>Thinks it sounds better.
>Recommends it to random anons on Sup Forums.

>There is a resonance at 5-6k
This is a housing issue, not a driver issue.

As things are now, HD600 is definitely an upgrade over the HD800. I personally wouldn't spend more than €300 for a headphone, since the best headphones in production now can be bought at that price or even less.

>Sabre DAC
>measures like shit
??

Filtered

Theyre uncomfortable but velour pads can be had for $2-$5 if you're not a retard

Housing is one of the reasons, he listed 3 including diver structure.
>1. Resonant housing
>2. Resonance shift due to center hole
>3. Concha resonance

The drivers alone have been tested already and don't show this peak.

>Budget
£120
>Location
UK, pricerunner.co.uk/cl/94/Headphones
>Source
laptop
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
closed
>Comfort level
have to be pretty comfy
>Sound signature

>Past headphones
nothing worth taking note of

Someone has already recommended me DT770 Pro 80 ohm, any notes before I purchase it?

>buying a headphone that has "cloud" in it's name

enjoy you botnet bro

Interesting. Thank you for the pic, it leads to SBAF forum, it looks interesting. New HD820 has different, bigger housing. I wonder if Sennheiser was able to fix housing resonance without using resonator in the middle of the driver, which would kind of undermine HD800S.

>tfw you love your Xiaomi pistons 3 that are still working fine after almost a year and half
>tfw you want to buy a backup pair
>tfw it is totally sold out everywhere and you don't trust ebay/ali etc

kill me, please

>DT770 Pro 80 ohm
v-shaped, non detachable cable, beyer treble rape.

I suggest HD380 Pro as an alternative. Works everywhere, neutral target (still somewhat bassy), detachable cable, durable, comfortable, very isolating (-32dB), reputable.

>Budget
160€
>Location
Europoor
>Source
TV or PC (Wireless)
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Bretty comfy
>Past headphones
I own a DT880 Pro with a Pro-Ject Head Box S

I need a wireless headphone for watching movies. Send help.

Why should I wait for Massdrop K7XX when I can get normal K702's for $200 now? Theyre both made in China anyway.

K7XX is not K702, it's a re-branded K712.

FWIW I think K702 is better than K712/K7XX.

>K7XX is not K702, it's a re-branded K712
So I just listened to Z-reviews ramble on about nothing for like 8 minutes

Infact you shouldn't. K702 is a great headphone.

No, K7XX is the chinese version of the austrian K702 Anniversary, which is a K702 with a different driver (+3 dB below 100 Hz) and different pads.

>and you can't EQ them to sound alike
Both have decently linear response: phase and frequency magnitude, and both cover the audible band. There's no reason why we couldn't get their responses to match exactly.
>There is a resonance at 5-6k that is impossible to EQ out completely
No, that is what an equalizer solves. You take a correctly shaped filter at that resonance and it's gone.
>nor can you EQ the way sound waves are formed.
You don't have to know what kind of a device is moving the air, you only need to know its response. If you alter the response, you alter what kind of waves are formed, duh. If you meant something else you lost me.

Single driver headphones are predominantly minimum phase devices: EQ yields a corresponding effect in the magnitude response. Equalizer solves all problems in the linear response if response of the system itself is sufficiently linear.

Minimum phase idea fails on:

-Ported headphones as ports are always delayed and thus out of phase
-Multi-driver headphones where crossover networked drivers introduce varying degrees of phase shift
-Designs where non-stable response in the low end introduces all pass shift
(-Room reverb)

EQ can't fix:

-Destructive interference(nulls)
-Bandwidth
-Non-linear response

EQ has trouble tackling high Q resonances(shift on re-seating/inserting the headphone) and you'll need headroom with the amplifier gain. Obviously the headphone needs to be operated within its compression and excursion limits.

HD 800 is very stable, HD 600 is good. Both still shift a little in low end as they are open back, open baffle and leak by design. You can compensate for stable leakage to an extent with a severe loss in sensitivity.

Headphone implementations of drivers(position, housing, leakage) and individual HRTFs challenge the practical accuracy of the equalization. These make the same headphone sound different on different individuals, too. An ideally equalized pair for one person won't work on the next one.

I'm calling it now. As the HD800 ages and it's no longer the dynamic flagship, the audiofags will realize that it was a terrible headphone.

It's god tier for comfort though, which is why I own one.

>They are different structurally, and you can't EQ them to sound alike
Wrong, you can EQ the 800 to sound like the 600
Audio testing is done by EQing headphones to match other headphones. Youre confusing software EQ with proper hardware EQ done by a dedicated machine

>No, K7XX is the chinese version of the austrian K702 Anniversary, which is a K702 with a different driver (+3 dB below 100 Hz) and different pads.
K702 Anniversary = K712 = K7XX

And it uses the same driver but with internal modifications and different pads.

K702 Annie = K7XX, K712 is a different headphone dude, even though it's similar to those two.

Why cant someone just get those pads onto the HD 600s

Is the K712 $100 better than the K702?

Not at all. K712 might be even worse than K702 for most people, I guess.

It's the same design, where it's made doesn't matter.

K701 = Q701 = K702

K712 = K7XX = K702_65th

>Youre confusing software EQ with proper hardware EQ done by a dedicated machine
All modern EQ is done in software(including those in headphone studies) for good reason. It allows the use of practically unlimited number of filters of any Q and gain and without being limited by any analog foolery like added noise, distortion or component matching.

Same design doesn't equal to same headphone. K712 has a different driver from K7XX/K702 Anniversary.

Thanks user, I will look into them.

Is bluetooth 5 /hpg/ approved?

>using a tube amp
I bet you use a tube monitor too you retro fagola

You're right, the part number is different.

But it's not like the sound is different. K712 has that strong lower midrange type sound that the K702_65th and K7XX has.

According to some measurements, K712 is bassier than K7XX/K702 Anniversary.

Good headphone + mic combo for sub $100?

SHP9500S + BoomPro

This
Or this
Or any headphone of your choosing with a cheap clip on from Zalman or Sony.
Boom Pro often has a wait time, but there's a generic version on Amazon.

>Budget
$200-$300 if the $300 is a clear upgrade to a $200 pair
>Location
US
>Source
Laptop/iPad/iPhone
>Type of headphone
full-sized
>Open or closed
Closed
>Comfort level
Comfy

Mainly looking for a pair of headphones to use when traveling. I fly fairly often for work so it should be quiet, so I don't disturb others on the plane.

Tier list when?

About to pull trigger on edifier h840, any advice?

Top tier:
HD800, Stax L700, LCD-X
Mid tier:
DT880, K7XX
Budget tier:
VE Monk, SHP9500
*snap* tier:
HD600/650/6XX
retard tier:
HD800s EQ'd to sound like $10 walmart shitphones

>tfw not on the list