Chromebook

What is Sup Forums opinion on the Chromebooks? Are they worth it?

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's a literal facebook machine.

Shit. No.

But you can put Linux or windows in it, right?

Looks good
Works bad

It's still useless if there's only 64GB in flash storage

Acer C720 was worth it for me. Pretty cheap and I can do everything I want with it.

They're fine if you get ones compatible with Linux shit and BIOS flashes. Which are old now.

What about the new ones

I'm using an Acer R11 with GalliumOS and it's great.

Is it possible to install linux on it without the scary spacebar meme?

Yeah, chrx has an option to disable that if you remove the write-protect screw on your Chromebook.

Waste of money and Google Docs is trash. Higher end ones have actual storage and can run Linux, but so an virtually anything else.

Spacebar meme?

I use a chromebook.

I bought my girlfriend an asus c210p for college because her other laptop was way too bulky to carry to and from class (gaming laptop). She loves it since it can do everything she wants it to do (word processing, facebook, etc.)

I have very little discretionary income, so when my old laptop broke (physically broke), and I needed a new one, I realized that I was just ssh'ing into my VPS with my linux machine anyways. I bought myself the same chromebook I got my girlfriend.

It's really great; everything I want. I don't play games, and I still just ssh into my VPS through google's ssh app. The only thing I find myself wanting is a decent image editing program. I use one called pixlr, but it's slow and runs on Flash. I don't do much image stuff so it's fine for just cropping and resizing images, but for anything more intensive I often just use another laptop. This is something I hope gets solved soon since there's no reason that the GIMP team can't write an HTML5 GIMP.

The battery life is so much greater than my last laptop. 10-13 hours on a single charge, compared to the 5-ish on my last HP laptop.

If your situation is similar to mine, I suggest a chromebook

Get one for your parents if they're tech illiterate. They're virtually impossible to fuck up.

Sweet, thanks user.

When you put a chromebook into dev mode (which is necessary for installing crouton and most other interesting uses) it displays a white warning screen at boot, which says in normie-unfriendly words that it will reset the system if space is pressed.
Since normies never read and just press whatever key is displayed, any normie (kids, GF, wife, friends) around a booting chromebook in devmode will usually result in the device being factory reset.

What do you need more than 64GB for? Ignoring that you can upgrade the SSDs in some chromebooks, even 16GB is enough unless you're hoarding children's cartoons.

I was under the impression that it needs the recovery image to be on a usb stick or sd card to do a factory reset. Or will it wipe it anyway?

Where the fuck do you think we are

It will wipe it anyway, at least everything you did in dev mode, so your linux install is fucked.
Well, atleast if you don't use

If you just need an internet/media machine then ya they're perfect. If you want more they fall short

Russia?

I really want a 2013 Chromebook pixel. I just don't know how capable ChromeOS is.

The just looks so goddamn fast.

Reddit?

The only valid use of tech is to pirate and hoard vast quantities of anime to be watched at home, in the basement, surrounded by piss bottles

Everyone else is a filthy normie who doesn't know SHIT about computers REEEEEEE

How are netbooks?

Meant for school children and 3rd worlders, the only reason Sup Forumsays get one is because they're poorfags

Literally the poorfag's main option, getting a used old chromebook and putting GalliumOS is the best spec to cost ratio on the market

A gimmick. Very limited, though for someone who just browses social-media and is well off using google docs, it's an alright purchase.

personally will never ever buy one
>be tpg
>crusade against closed up soldered in hardware in ala macbook
>crusade against closed software that spies on you, restricts what you can install
>buys a fucking chromebook with an os made by google
>"hey you can use crouton to make it semi-useable!"

* be Sup Forums

I liked the concept, but in reality, had zero use for one. If all I was doing was using Microsoft office style programs, I'd have bought one. But for general Web browsing, I'd rather just buy myself a tablet.

As for programming, I'd rather install a comfy Linux distro on it. Unfortunately, once that's happened, it ceases to be a chromebook and just becomes a laptop with shit storage.
At that point, I may have just paid for a regular laptop and installed a different botnet onto it.

But hey, atleast they gave it a go. Can't blame Google for trying.

They are great for their intended market. Obviously they're going to get a lot of hate from Sup Forums because muh botnet and muh evil normies like them so we have to be contrarian and hate them.

They work good enough for what they're designed for, but make sure you get one that's compatible with Linux if you don't like ChromeOS. I'm going to get the Samsung Chromebook Pro for that sexy high res 3:2 screen and I'll probably end up putting Gallium OS on it

I love mine. I have a desktop gaming PC. I want something to comfier web browsing when I'm not sitting at my desk, but it doesn't need to be very powerful because I'm only using it for web browsing. Chromebooks fill that niche very nicely.

wiki.galliumos.org/Hardware_Compatibility

They are basically Macbooks.

You can remove ChromeOS altogether though, even replace the UEFI

Apparently in the education market and entreprise, it really sells a lot. Also, it's still a cheap laptop with relatively good specs, that you can modify and even replace the UEFI of!

But several times cheaper

And? The main criticism leveled against MacBooks is that they are over priced.

They looks comfy as fuck

they are

are chromebooks the thinkpads of laptops?

Comfy

But thinkpads are laptops

DELETE THIS

Cute

Kek

I like mine. You can install GalliumOS if you get tired of ChromeOS.