Fastest theoretical speed on a 1gbps ethernet link

So, my ISP is now offering gigabit service in my area, but they specify it's "only" 940mbps download and 880mbps upload.

I was wondering if this was a limitation on THEIR end, or if that was essentially the maximum anyone could achieve over the ethernet specification.

Anyone know what % of overhead we're dealing with?

pic related, my current internet.

anyone?
Might just order this 1gbps service just to see how fast it actually is.

Theoretical maximum UDP throughput on GigE using jumbo frames:
(9000-20-8)/(9000+14+4+7+1+12)*1000000000/1000000 = 992.697 Mbps

Theoretical maximum TCP throughput on GigE without using jumbo frames:
(1500-20-20-12)/(1500+14+4+7+1+12)*1000000000/1000000 = 941.482 Mbps

Theoretical maximum UDP throughput on GigE without using jumbo frames:
(1500-20-8)/(1500+14+4+7+1+12)*1000000000/1000000 = 957.087 Mbps

can confirm

Is it the new Verizon gbps service?

They're offering that here too but so much fine print.

Yeah, FiOS, and the fine print is pretty standard for me. I'm an existing customer, so i'm not looking at the $70 1gbps anyway since that's a deal for new customers only.

They're offering me $120/month locked in for 24 months.
Good to know, looks like they're being a bit conservative with their estimates, but seems like they're basically at the limit for normal TCP traffic.

I hate the new customer pricing shit these guys do.

Yeah, its shady as fuck, but they're the only other option besides Comcast.

And I have to admit, their 150mbps service has been good for the time i've had it. And i find myself wanting more download speeds frequently enough that 1gbps might just be the way to go.

I have the same 150/150 right now had Comcast 185/185 for a couple months and they are so much worse.

$70 for 150/150, I might try to call them and bother them until they give me the new customer price for gbps.

I talked to them about 30 minutes ago and they offered me $120/month locked in price for 24 months and I dont have to pay the $230 ETF, and I dont have to pay the $90 activation.

The other option is canceling my current contract and pay the $230 ETF, then signing up again for the new customer pricing.

>3GB
>3 minutes
I am so fucking jealous right now.

Try not to cry

They always waive the ETF though. The problem I have is that they do like a bunch of $10 discounts and shit so the real price of the service is like $300 but then you get $190 worth of discounts and your price comes down to $120. Then you have to watch your bills like a hawk so they don't try to fuck you (which they will).

$230 will pay for itself in 5 bills.

btw, did they say if you needed upgraded equipment for the gbps service?

>call retentions number for your region
>threaten to quit if you dont get new customer pricing
>hang up if you dont get what you want
rinse and repeat, I usually get someone who will let me in 2-3 attempts. They're a bunch of cucks, you just need to find the right one. Also use an app to record the conversation because some of those fuckers like to lie.

>btw, did they say if you needed upgraded equipment for the gbps service?
Nope, they said I could have it activated by tomorrow morning if I wanted to.

FiOS hasn't had a retention department in like 5 years.

It's all done through their normal customer service reps.

Why must I live in this spanish shithole

really? Most places say that but they usually do if you push them, some places have the "secret" retention numbers posted online which makes getting to someone to help a lot easier

Their are some higher level customer service managers and shit who can pull the same sort of stuff retention used to, but there isn't a specific retention department anymore from what I know.

I've been a FiOS customer for about 9-10 years at this point.

Its okay, steam is one of the few things that can actually use these speeds.

>Comcast 185/185
How?
Comcast is DOCSIS 3.0 unless you live in their brand new DOCSIS 3.1 area with 2gbps service.

And DOCSIS 3.0 is usually a max of 300/500mbps download and about 100-110mbps upload at best.

>live in the great white north with rogers
>negotiate home phone/internet/cable bundle for elderly family friend for $165/month for two years
>check back after a two years, they've been charging $290/month for the last 12 months

How the fuck can these people get away with this, it's not even fast or unlimited internet, all he does is use facebook.