/sqt/ - Stupid Questions Thread

Stupid questions thread.

OP question: is it bad (in terms of security) to encrypt the aes-encryption key that encrypts files - with a user password?

$file
$aes_encryptionkey
$userpassword

$aes_encryptionkey = aes256($aes_encryptionkey,$userpassword)
aes256($file,$aes_encryptionkey)

Other urls found in this thread:

wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers
stackoverflow.com/questions/23188691/how-to-display-img-alt-text-using-css
jsfiddle.net/Fs76v/77/
jsfiddle.net/ahnGT/426/
askubuntu.com/questions/321816/mouse-sometimes-doubleclicks-when-i-click-once
docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-4.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I can't connect to my server running mpd using MPDroid. These are the iptables rules I have:
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 8000 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 8000 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 6600 -m conntrack --ctstate NEW,ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -p tcp --sport 6600 -m conntrack --ctstate ESTABLISHED -j ACCEPT

Using telnet I get the following:
On port 6600 I get connection refused.
On port 8000 I am connected before the connection is abruptly closed by foreign host.

What am I missing?

I have to contact one person, which I sadly have no email to, only know their Facebook account - but I dont have one on my own.

Is it "safe" to make fake account on 10-minute email, with only initials of your name/surname? I mean, wont Assbook try to make profile out of you anyway, connecting data gathered from sites plugins and your IP?

I know it sound like paranoid but I cant help it.

Why doesn't Windows boot from USB? I have a USB to SATA cable and have tried with two separate hard drives, one with 7 and one with Vista. Both of them get partially through booting before flashing a blue screen for a split second and restarting the computer. It's no big deal, but I'd like to know why.

Facebook will probably prevent you from using just a single letter name/surname, and the tracking is not something that can be turned on or off: they probably have a shit ton of sources of information from how you use the website and you setup that will work regardless.

To give you an idea, when I make a new account from my PC, without fail, the previous account I used shows up as a recommended friend.

Not sure what they can do if they don't explicitly have your name/surname though. If your name is mentioned by your friends, facebook *might* have a deep learning algorithm to pick up on that, *regardless* of you owning a FB account.

I recommend doing this in a VM with a browser configuration you don't normally use. FB will fingerprint your browser and continue to associate the sites you visit with your FB account even when not logged in.

Alternatively, block all FB plugins (share buttons, comments, etc) to prevent this from happening, and clear your browser history and cookies after you do what you need to do.

how 2 maek win 10 legit?
wher is win 10 dez loeder??

Any good reviews on the MSI X370 GAMING PRO CARBON vs the Asus PRIME X370-PRO??

I read that the Asus board is shipping with BIOS issues? Does anyone know if this is still the case?

My cursor won't work. I've tried the Fn and F5 thing but even that won't work. I have important unsaved files so I don't want to restart my computer. I'm running Win8.1 if that helps.

Fn+F5 is meaningless to us, Fn shortcuts differ from computer to computer. You can alt-tab into the windows you have important work in and ctrl-s to save them.

If you have a mouse plugged in try a different port. Restarting your computer is your best bet.

Thanks, my cheap dollar store mouse will have to do for now.

Never actually setup VM before. I was planning to do this on laptop (which works as test ground of some sort anyway), with Firefox using plugins listed on privacytools.io

Then I might just use fake name and surname, whatever. Im worried about the whole tracking stuff anyway.

All I want is to ask for email or just drop link to files I wanted to give that person. Why it have to be so hard and problematic?

I'm having a hard time deciding between the 2
>i5 2500k for $150 (i7 3770k for about $300)
>i7 3820 for $300
for motherboards
>z77 for about $250
>x79 for about $350

My main concern currently is in regards to reliability (buying used), as well as the performance benefit for having the 2500k, and maybe upgrading to 3770k in the future, or just skipping a potential future upgrade and going straight for the 3820

Also, as an aussie, is it worth it going for eBay, or would US Amazon be better (as long as it ships here)?
I'm currently a poorfag and trying not to go for an i5 7600k (example) for $350

struct Base{
void ebin(){std::cout

Is the Asus GTX 1070 Dual shroud made of plastic? Because that's what it looks like

you need to declare both functions virtual.

Since Comodo has turned to shit, which free alternative should I get?

>Why it have to be so hard and problematic?
unfortunately the world is pretty shit for tech-savvy people with even a minimum concern for privacy.

i have given up, to be honest. i have accepted that there is some probability that in a possible dystopic future everything I have posted online since internet was made might be used against me.

which monitor should i get for shit posting/games? something 24" dont care about cost

Is it possible/viable to run a server on a RPi and connect it to a VPN which I also use for other stuff? Or will it be better to pay for a server and a VPN separately?

I have an old wacom CTL480. How is it possible that there is no link to the windows driver anywhere on the internet?

i'm fucking going to buy huion only from now on

Anyway, is Firefox with plugins listed here enough for creatign that temporary trash FB account?

there is probably just a generic one not one for such a specific model

Does using a cooling pad all day affect the port which it is connected to?

I tried. That piece of shit driver application doesn't even open. It just says pic related

honestly I have no idea. I don't use any privacy addon.

why do you assume this is a driver issue? maybe your cable is fucked, or you are using a 3.0 usb port which it is too old for

I'm not using a 3.0 usb, the cable is fine since i'm using it with my android phone and because windows makes a sound when I plug my tablet in, plus I've always had trouble with shitty wacom software.

If I know the entropy of two distributions X1 and X2, how do I calculate the entropy of a distribution that's X1 with probability a and X2 with probability 1-a?

wacom.com/en-us/support/product-support/drivers
says the latest driver still works for the ctl-480

did you restart after installing the driver?

yep. i'll try rebooting again and googling a bit more

if nes had a hard drive, could it be used as a home computer?

AVG

Is there a torrent generator that can make .torrents for files with unicode filenames? I have a bunch of files in moonrunes, but MkaeTorrent doesn't support unicode.

oh SHIT i installed the WRONG ONE kill me now

sorry

Is there an easy way to get a mini-botnet for free or cheap? I literally need like 30-100 IPs, to send a curl request every ~60 seconds. I need this for an autistic meme so I don't care about tracking/logging/whatever, but conversely I also don't want to pay for a meme unless I absolutely have to.

Are there some free VPNs I could use for this? I heard about some browser plugins that may work like this, but I don't think that could easily be integrated into a shell script, could it? I want to avoid having to manually click on every page.

How do I get alt-text to appear directly AFTER or AT THE BOTTOM of an image automatically AS THE PAGE LOADS and AS PLAINTEXT, instead of HAVING TO WAIT 2 SECONDS OF HOVERING THE CURSOR.

Users are shitty at passwords. And passwords get dumped. If you do it this way, getting a user password, which is not very hard in most cases, will yield the encryption key, which is not good. Haven't messed with this stuff in a while, so other anons might have better ideas. If you really want password-based, maybe hashed and salted would be a better option.

Yeah, sure. Just call 1-800-RENT-A-BOT

Really dumb question....Anyone have a protip on a solid VPN?? Thanks, anons.

Depends on what you're using it for.

Trying to get a Debian Live USB working.

Used Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.7.7.exe with debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-kde-desktop.iso.

I am using a Medion Akoya S2218 with windows 10.

I went into the BIOS and disabled boot security. Then I changed the boot device order so the USB was first.

Still just boots to windows as normal. Help?

onion browsing

VPN and proxies are your best bet without hacking people.
Look around for SOCKs proxies and pipe shit through them.
Now you'll just need to write the scripts to load up all these proxies and VPNs in sequence.

Already-existing programs, extensions and plugins that manage VPNs and proxies will be difficult to work with if their IP list isn't public.

Nord works ok. There are many options. Aside from picking one based outside of your own country, there's not much you can really learn about them. I'd take their claims of "no logging" with a grain of salt.

I am writing a simulation in Java and using GridPane to visualize it. After performing a step, the pane is cleared and new nodes are added, but the pane stays the same as in the beginning until the end, when it does get redrawn. Printing the data to console works as it is supposed to. I am using sleep between the steps, does this cause the problem? How do I force the pane to get redrawn?

is it true all data goes through blackberrys servers on a blackberry phone?

>is it true all data goes through blackberrys servers on a blackberry phone?
NSA servers first.

It really depends what you want to do and whether you think you will use the higher ceiling of performance in the i7.

I was at a similar decision a couple years back and just went the i5 route.
But I don't expect to be running multiple heavy VMs on mines, 1 intense one at the most. (GPU passthrough at that)

I don't intend upgrading for a while anyway since system requirements for things has slowed down considerably in the last 10 years, never mind the last 5 years.
My next hardware will end up probably being something wildly different to what is currently out now. (especially since virtualization in hardware has exploded in recent years)

UNetBootIn or Rufus?

R U F U S.

Is it possible to run a home server and route it through a VPN?

thanks, user!

I had video editing/rendering and 1-2 virtual machines open fairly frequently in mind, so I'll probably go for a Ryzen 1600.
Cheers anyway lad.

Why does a V4 encode have this much kbps? Is this legit?

>tfw I'm a networking brainlet
I literally have no idea where to even start. I mean, I could google some VPNs, and I know my way around scripting, but I have a lot of learning to do to properly properly "load up" and manage those things

Hm, it shouldn't be too hard to modify Mirai to do what I need instead of launching a DDoS and then finding under a hundred vulnerable devices to infect, right? :^)

making windows boot disks only works in rufus for me

I've used both and can literally not tell the difference

Rufus looks nicer, and the name is better.

Thank you kindly.

Look for lists of free proxies. I think there's a site that even has a REST API to get them.

are the sennheiser 558's the ones with the tape over the speakers that you can take off yourself?

I'm trying to browse wikibooks using kiwix but the only way to navigate is to use the featured topics and the limited links from those or an inconvenient search system. What am I doing wrong?

What is the best VPN for me?
I have been absent from here for the last 2 years, so don't judge me.
I need something that:
1. allows me to torrent even "illegal/copirigthed" shit, without getting any more mail from my ISP or stupid lawyers
2. allow me to anonymously brows the web
3. unblock news that are blocked in germany

it might be trying to acces a partition that is on another disk. Are all other disks also connected to your new PC?
BTW, tried to research the error message on ddg.gg before?

1 Most VPNs, just check if they allow P2P in their descriptions and usually use a server outside your country

2 They all let you browse sudo-anonymously

3 Any one not located in germany will work

I heard CrunchBang is dead - is there an (un)official "successor"? It was the first loonix distro I tinkered with and now I'm looking for something similar.

> Insert a span below the image with the same alt text?
>Profit??

Or you can use Javascript to inject such a span for each image at dom ready

Wait, can I use TOR for that? Like I mentioned it's pretty low-bandwidth and latency isn't really an issue. Is it possible to connect to multiple circuits from one machine and selectively connect through them in sequence without some crazy workaround hacks?

Or, heck, I might get away with just rebuilding my circuit between every request - assuming it's random enough there shouldn't be any problems. It might take a second or two to reconnect every time but that's acceptable for my purposes.

Any particular reason this would be a bad idea before I proceed to write a script that sends my desired curl through tor, rebuilds the tor circuit to get a different identity, and repeats?

I have HD 558s next to me right now and I don't remember ever removing any tape, and I can't see any right now.

>Or you can use Javascript to inject such a span for each image at dom ready
How do I do this?

is learncpp.com a meme?

Life is a meme.
I'd say kill yourself, but suicide is also a meme.

You SHOULD be able to use CSS for this.
You can use an :after pseudo selector for it.
Will check to see if they can reveal alt-text, though.

BG not well played.
stackoverflow.com/questions/23188691/how-to-display-img-alt-text-using-css
Only alternative would be to do THAT same idea, except set your images as the background of a DIV and just add the alt-text to the DIV.

Here is a basic example I made
jsfiddle.net/Fs76v/77/
You can add a hover effect as well by chaining the pseudo selectors as soon in the 2nd.
From there you can prettify the ::after

I have some video files that I would like to burn to DVD/BD, how would I go about learning how to do this?

How about menus?

>tfw somebody worked THIS hard to help me and I'm too stupid to implement the solution.

>You SHOULD be able to use CSS for this.
Does that mean creating muh_autism.css as a text file will change all comics for me? Do I need a greasemonkey add-on too?

I'm looking to replace my PC, is this okay? I'm kind of worried that the GPU is shit but I can't find the specs anywhere.

You can install a User Style extension to do it.
Problem is will be whether those websites use an IMG or another container to display the actual image.
If you can right click and save the images, it will be using IMG tags for it.

IMG tags just seem to not support doing this for some fucking retard reason.
For that, you would need to use a User Script in Greasemonkey or something.
I don't have much experience with that.

Anybody else with idea if this will be safe setup for that?

What are these for?

programs compiled with microsofts c++ compiler require the exact runtime version to work, otherwise stuff might have changed and the program would stop working because things aren't as they used to be.
same goes for directx, hence every game ships the exact version it was made with with it.

Does a 60 fps video file generally require about twice the file size of a 30 fps one since it needs twice as many frames? (Leaving aside audio size anyway.) Or can the video compression schemes usually optimize most of that out since the extra frames will be very similar to what was already there?

In pic related, does the placement of the M.2 drive matter much? I'd imagine with the heat it puts off and an expansion card blocking most air flow, it'd get toasty.
If I load OS onto said M.2, would it put off a ton of heat?
Or would it be better finding a board where the M.2 slot is above the PCI-E slot?

excuse the horrible photo and the filth, but what kind of connector is the black one (above the colorful ones)? i need to get a replacement cable

Never mind, this seems to work.

jsfiddle.net/ahnGT/426/
Uses jQuery though.

There is a way to do that native JS, but I never managed it.
I never use self-invoking functions or querySelector.

Thinking of switching back to Win7. People with multiple monitors, how do you typically manage windows on your other monitors? One of the few things keeping me on 10 right now is having taskbars on multiple monitors. DisplayFusion(?) has the feature but it's always been buggy and slow.

S-Video

Something's wrong with my mouse clicks.
I can open files in one click, and clicking the URL in firefox acts like a double click. Is everything registering as a double click, or is there some setting with linux/my distro? (I switched from windows recently). I obviously don't have this issue on windows.
askubuntu.com/questions/321816/mouse-sometimes-doubleclicks-when-i-click-once
I don't want to believe that hardware is broken because this happens with both trackpad and mouse.

is there c++ classes src / tutorial / sites for reading/writing file formats? i'd like to learn classes in c++ with a real life code

The fuck is wrong with my new laptop?
It's brand new with W10 and the motherfucker can't download shit even at 10% of the full speed.
I checked if there was a windows update or store update and nothing else is downloading.
Nothing out of the ordinary is showing up on the resources monitor but in the task manager i can see my wifi going to full speed in the graph.

If a HDD is at, for example, 80+ used space, does it slow down in speed?
I want to get a single 2TB drive, rather than my current setup of 3x1TB at 50% or less used space

When a method is called and given arguments, is the method given a copy of these variables?
So copies of these variables would get put on the stack, and if it's a reference, then it gets a copy of the reference.
Is that how it works in Java?

depends on the type of the parameter.
see docs.oracle.com/javase/specs/jls/se7/html/jls-4.html
generally, objects are passed by reference, int, float etc by value.

pls respond
I'm kind of in a hurry

So, a MUX by itself is useless (I'm talking about basic combination logic)? The definition is that the selector picks which one goes to the output. But let's say the 4 inputs are minterms. The selector picks one of them to go to the output, but the output will always be the same (in the sense you don't know just by the output which minterm was selected, if you don't know the values of the selectors), unless you connect it to a DEMUX with the same selector values, then you can know what was selected. Am I missing something, apart from my brain.

The graphics chipset in the CPU is better than that GPU. Put it that way.

It's a decent PC, and if need be you can buy a graphics card and swap it in later

How do I get an outlook web app email to forward to a gmail account?

I setup the rule but it does not forward automatically. Rather it will forward the emails AFTER I manually send the gmail account an email via outlook. I never want to login to outlook. What kind of retarded functionality only allows manual forwarding? Anyone have experience with this shit?

I want to try manjaro and I want to experiment with i3.
Should I go for the community version i3 manjaro, or go with official manjaro xfce and install i3 myself?
Asking because it says that community builds may drop support later down the line.

Will I save more memory on my SSD if I switch from Windows 10 to fedora workstation?

Is it really that bad? Damn. Oh well, thanks.
Just out of curiosity, my current (dead) GPU is a Radeon 6570 2GB, how is the r5 310 compared to that?

when memory is going to drop in price again?

on nvidias website it says 500W minimum, should I trust this number? they don't say what their testing system used