/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Training Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.debian.org/UEFI
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=579185
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evdev
packages.debian.org/source/sid/libevdev)
packages.gentoo.org/packages/x11-libs/gtk
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Trying to get a Debian Live USB working.

rufus-2.14.exe with debian-live-8.7.1-amd64-kde-desktop.iso.

I am using a Medion Akoya S2218 with windows 10.

I went into the BIOS and disabled boot security. Then I changed the boot device order so the USB was first.

Still just boots to windows as normal. Help?

Reposting from last thread
I recently upgraded my PC. From a GTX660 to a GTX1060 and from an old 1000:1 Monitor to a 3000:1.
Now My probel is: the contrast is way too high, slightly dark things are outright black.
But the problem doesn't exist on my Windows installation, I even confirmed it with comparisons between games that run on both systems, but I don't have any games that tax the system hard enough to confirm whether there are serious perfomance issues. But I did notice that Blender doesn't offer CUDA rendering on Linux, but on Windows and also, it crashes alot on linux. Since I use my Linux installation to edit photos and videos, it's a big deal breaker.
i suspected my New monitor to be the culprit but I ruled that out now.
So now I suspect my Graphics card.
I saw under "additional drivers" that my PC is using the open source xorg driver, so I switched to the proprietary. After being asked to input my password and confirming, the additional drivers window goes all gray and doesn't come back until a system error, pic related is a part of the Details
How do I resolve this to install the newest driver and get my graphics running properly (hopefully)?

Reminder to test source mage on a virtual machine at least, don't miss this experience

Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
With even the documentation licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can also use flags.

A few commands to upgrade your system after installing
cast smgl-setup
man smgl-setup
sorcery update
scribe update
cast smgl-archspecs
sorcery
sorcery rebuild
cast -r linux
makewhatis

I think we need Friendly Linux Threads. We don't need communism, pedophilia, judaism, necrophilia and autism associated with the OS I use daily.

north korea is in clear violation of the GPL

as far as I can tell Debian should support UEFI boot, which you seem to be using.
wiki.debian.org/UEFI
do you have a fast boot option? Any keys to bring up a one-time boot menu during boot, so you can manually choose the usb?
do you get any messages flashing up before windows takes over?

any Sup Forumsents got a kubuntu/bash cheat sheets?

I installed antergos using openbox as a wm. I can't connect to the internet wirelessly using the basic supplied network manager applet. I installed MATE desktop, and that can connect fine. What packages am I missing that could be causing this issue?

what a pretentious cunt

I tried to set the "Partition Scheme and Target System Type" to "MBR partition Scheme for UEFI" in Rufus, but it said the ISO doesn't support that, so it defaulted to "MBR partition Scheme for BIOS or UEFI-CSM"

I couldn't find out about the fast boot, or how to bring up a one-time boot menu.

No messages, it just boots straight to windows as normal.

Thanks for the help.

Will I save more memory on my SSD if I switch from Windows 10 to fedora workstation?

nobody gives a fvck about that communist licensing

can't anyone help me with this?

So i found this wired program called 'xkeystone' which comes with X.
>no manpage
>no help
>running it spits out an error
???

Still cant figure out why my /boot partition fails to mount on boot.

I did the mkdir /mnt/boot step and mounted /dev/sda1 there. sda1 is an EFI partition. Im using systemd-boot as my boot manager.

It literally doesn't do anything at all, but the people at debian are too autistic to get rid of it because it's not really a problem to keep it around.
bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=579185

Why's he keeping plain water in a teapot?

that wall of text was a bit much to read, maybe try being more precise next time.
it indeed sounds like a driver problem. What distribution are you using, Ubuntu? You can either install the driver through that tool, or download it from the nvidia website.
To troubleshoot why the additional drivers tool fails, you should look at the system logs. You can use a graphical log viewer tool for that.

>disagree
>cheers, Julian
Epic

Try using grub to see if you fucked up systemd-boot somehow

i looked into it, it's a nickle script, an interpreted C-like language.
It uses cairo bindings found in cairo-5c.
Running it presents some kind of matrix math window geometry solver thing that lets you drag window geometry around and if you press the "doit" button, it fucks with your display like in the example and I just had to restart my computer to undo the effects because there's no way to undo it.

already tried grub and it gave me an error at line 117, and syslinux didnt make a syslinux.cfg in the EFI folder for some reason.. Can I just take the bios syslinux and copy it to /boot/EFI/syslinux?

Can I bypass X server and communicate with evdev directly? If so, where's the header file and what should I link my program to?

absolute madman

EUFI keeps fucking with my arch installation. HP has a crap implementation on their elitebook range.

I installed Debian.. I feel shame.

you've been saved user and you don't realize it.

fuck arch - autistic shit.

I have installed arch on so many PC's in the past, I like the feeling of accomplishment.

Debian is alright so far.

Grub gave me the same error. I dont understand what I am doing wrong?

grub-install --target=x86_64-efi --efi-directory=/mnt/boot --bootloader-id=grub

does that look right?

Try just /boot if it's already mounted. Check /mnt/boot for the EFi folder.

Yes, Ubuntu, 16.04 there's an image attached to to the original post in the old thread.
I now managed to install the proprietary driver, although I cant explain why.
The problem still persists. i tried using the "colors" tool to calibrate my Monitor, but it doesnt seem to help.

I use my old wallpaper I used before I made the switch as a reference. the bumps in the background were easily distinguished and grey, now with the new setup everything fades into almost-black with slightly gray bumps.

I also noticed that additional drivers lists my Graphics Card as "NVIDIA Corporation: unknown"

I think I have narrowed the problem.

I found

>one-time boot menu during boot

Just mashing f12 on startup, I manually selected the USB and nothing happened. So I think it isn't formatted correctly but I don't know how.

Ok ive already done that and the EFI directory is there.

And i copied

/dev/sda1 /boot vfat rw,relatime,fmask=0022,dmask=0022,codepage=437,iocharset=iso8859-1,shortname=mixed,errors=remount-ro

into my fstab, i got this from this page

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Fstab

i can guarantee you don't need most of those mount flags

Update. After trying some color-calibration I am now looking to switch DEs. I wanted to make the jump from Unity to KDE since I heard that Canonical wants to let Unity sink. Gnome is just too fucking shit, especially with features such as hotcorners and multiple desktops lacking proper implementation. I used KDE from 14.04 to 15.04

RTFM: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evdev

Basically:
-files managed by evdev: /dev/input/*
-library to use evdev: libevdev (like packages.debian.org/source/sid/libevdev)

ok ill delete them except for rw and reboot

maybe tint2?

yes, that's the menu I was talking about. Maybe try another live usb to verify that your Debian iso isn't the problem?

and also kept relatime

nope that wasnt it

is it a mistake to keep modules active?

Do those of you who use Fedora use GNOME? If not, what DE?

Thanks!

Whenever I see pictures or videos or hear audio of RMS, I want to vomit. I think his ideas are great, but something about him makes me feel ill. Am I the only one, or is this common?

I use i3 with Gnome as my safety net, because I'm too much of a wuss to admit I don't need Gnome anymore.
I tried using KDE on Fedora, but it had even more bugs than usual and seemed badly implemented. I'd use Opensuse or KDE Neon if I wanted KDE

fuk u

>making fun of the dead

You're the only one.

Yeah, Stallman's ideas are shit.

no u

y-you too!

Stallman was right about Intel ME. Only Intel CPUs which are safe are Core 2 and older.

He's not dead, he has been virtualized

If I install gentoo with the hardened kernel over vanilla and openrc instead of systemd, have I escaped the botnet or is there more to do?

Well, I'm totall fucking out of ideas.
Painstakingly try to repair/fix the system or rather smash the installation and try 17.04 instead?

all modern cpus have these engines now, right?

>feds are killing southbridges on old systems
nothing is safe

get a free bios, cpu without blobs, and stop sperging about systemd, its free software

is this because you did a dist-upgrade? if so, you should have done a clean install of the new version instead of trying to upgrade. this is why it's recommended to keep your root and home partitions separate, so you can do a clean install on root whenever you need to, but still keep all your files on home.

Install GNU Linux-libre.
make.conf: ACCEPT_LICENSE="-* @FREE"

I don't give a shit about free software.

I care about well written software, be it free or not.

>have I escaped the botnet or is there more to do?

no one gives a shit, he was answering me.
that's not me

so basically just hardened kernel, openrc, and only free software, then I'm set?

When was the last time anyone actually proved that a proprietary product's source code was more well written than an open source project?

All I ever hear are horror stories from microsoft about their gigantic codebase that they no longer fully understand because too many people left the company and now they do insane workarounds just to add options to dialog boxes.

>le systemd is a botnet meme
grow up

kek

last I heard they were just copy-pasting .dll's and slapping hacky work-around code on top of the source code because no one knows what the fuck they're doing anymore

Only way to save Windows is redesign a brand new operating system from the ground up

>le le
opinion discarded

The general argument is why do they need to hide it if there's nothing dodgy going on?
Nobody is suggesting they actually take public pull requests, just show people how things work and let them change things if they want to.

The only advantage of course is maintaining security through obscurity, which is the ultimate red flag.

Doesn't apply for paid-for software I guess, but then I'd just torrent everything anyway.

Tried with mint same problem

Again, no difference whether it's open or closed source, the thing that's important is the software you're looking at.

It may be true that proprietary software has uglier code on average, like niggers have lower IQ on generals, but you won't deny there are some smart niggers wandering around somewhere out there.

I am trying to get Gentoo installed on my laptop. Gtk+ 3.22 fails to build.
>/usr/bin/glib-mkenums: gtktextview.h:59: Failed to parse ` /*< private >*/ '
>/usr/bin/glib-mkenums: gtktextview.h:61: Failed to parse ` /*< public >*/ '

What is the general methology on packages that fail to build? How can I fix this?

Every time I try to install Source Mage cast -r linux always fails to grab the kernel source, with something like "sanity check failed". What did it mean by this?

>you can crash any machine running system with this command
>NOTIFY_SOCKET=/run/systemd/notify systemd-notify ""
anyone got a vbox to test that?

What distro do I run on a 6 year old laptop? Dual core cpu and 2 GB of ram
Do I just get 32bit Lubuntu? Is kde too much?

try to install the next or the previous version

slackware

They fixed that.

Could it be a USB 3.0 problem?

ok thanks

just tested in vbox, latest noobuntu: nothing happened.

How can I list all available package versions then?

ls /usr/portage//

for example /usr/portage/xfce-base/thunar

or packages.gentoo.org
packages.gentoo.org/packages/x11-libs/gtk

Yes

debian jessie
nothing

Why no one talks about gtk murrine themes?
Comes with every distro, work well and are gorgeous.

Just to complete :
curl -L git.io/pikachu
curl -L git.io/ff5boss
curl -L git.io/nier2b
curl -L git.io/uriel

eix is great for that
~ $ eix gentoo-sources
[?] sys-kernel/gentoo-sources
Available versions:
(4.1.39) ~4.1.39^bs
(4.1.39-r1) ~4.1.39-r1^bs
(4.4.52) 4.4.52^bs
(4.4.65) ~4.4.65^bs
(4.9.6-r1) 4.9.6-r1^bs
(4.9.16) 4.9.16^bs
(4.9.25) ~4.9.25^bs
(4.10.8) ~4.10.8^bs
(4.10.9) ~4.10.9^bs
(4.10.10) ~4.10.10^bs
(4.10.11) ~4.10.11^bs
(4.10.12) ~4.10.12^bs
(4.10.13) ~4.10.13^bs
(4.11.0) ~4.11.0^bs

these work

holy shit!

uses 256 colors
used rgb
maybe convert it so it works on all terminls
which one are you using?

xfce4-terminal
I'll try to convert them to 6^3 color

Thanks a lot for the advice. Unfortunately choosing an older package version did not work. Just for the lols I tried a common fix that usually only works with Windows: I restarted the computer and now GTK compiled without an error xD

Works On My Machine!(tm)

All good here

where does git clone put files? im trying to into the AUR