We would like to remind all students that sharing and downloading of copyright protected content...

>We would like to remind all students that sharing and downloading of copyright protected content, such as music or movies is against the [redacted] acceptable use policy, and federal law. To protect the University and the students, a system was put in place to automatically monitor and enforce a four strike policy. The system may temporarily revoke your network access based on the detection of a file sharing event from your computer. Please be aware that illegal file sharing is a serious offense and [redacted] cannot tolerate repeat offenses. If you would like to download music, or movies, there are a number of commercial sites available that will not cause your network access to be limited or restricted.

Man, fuck this. All devices have to be registered to your name and MAC address too.

What would be the best way to get around something like this? I want to find the best way to essentially be anonymous on their server but still have access. I can't spoof MAC addresses, I can't do any of the usual workaround shit, what the fuck do I do? Once I have an account registered to a certain MAC address, is there anything that can be done to stop this stupid surveillance shit?

I'll just use my phones hotspot if I have to, but I'd love a way hypothetical way to get around it while still utilizing their bandwidth. Is this technically impossible without being caught?

Other urls found in this thread:

studentloanhero.com/student-loan-debt-statistics/
twitter.com/AnonBabble

OP here: TOR is specifically named as well, so that's not gonna be happening either.

You're fucked, there's no way around blocks like that.

Phone hotspot is the only way I think.

Perhaps a better question - is it possible to encrypt my network traffic in any way?

Vote Democratic.

Are they doing man in the middle attacks on HTTPS?
Also, would it be possible for you to use a VPN?

That's impossible, again, this is unable to be accomplished with this network. You won't be anonymous, deal with it.

>Are they doing man in the middle attacks on HTTPS?
That's a pretty flimsy and unreliable workaround, and probably won't work in the end.

>Also, would it be possible for you to use a VPN?

My MAC address would still be tied to all traffic, no?

It's possible, I did it myself when my school did the same thing. I forgot what ended up working, I tried tons of shit, but I know it's theoretically possible.

What do you mean? That they block it?

I guess the question really is, what happens if you use it anyways?

calling bullshit unless your universities IT department was incompetent.

>pirate on a VPS
>sshfs to your desktop/laptop

Wtf kind of school has a filter

I don't understand american universities.
>forced dorms
>forced meal plans
>no open flames in dorms
>no hot plates
>NO COOKING
>NO PIRACY
People pay 20k a year for this shit.

Just use a seedbox retard. Or use xdcc or direct links if its available for what you are looking for.

Can get kicked out of school.

Yeah, you're not able to connect with TOR, they've blocked/closed whatever is needed to get on. Even if I had the software on a flash drive or my phone it wouldn't be able to connect, and the school would be able to see.

You're lucky they didn't blacklist linux distros by forcing you to install some spyware that only runs on mac/windows in order to gain access to the college network.

america has been force fed the "freedom" meme in place of the real thing for so long they don't even remember what it means anymore

It wasn't a workaround, though, I was just interested.

Also, yes, it will still be tied to your MAC address, but why can't you spoof it? Spoof it to be some random network device.

>Set up OpenVPN on a old computer
>Plug it in at your parents house
>Forward your traffic though it
>If you don't have a static IP/domain name, use no-ip

Literally easy as fuck and costs nothing.

They would know that you're using a VPN but not much else. Ask someone if using a VPN is okay because they might be okay with that.

They will know you're using a VPN but not what you are using it for. Unless they ban VPN traffic then you'd be good.

You can try to set up your own proxy server, for example replacing a .mp4 link with .html. Then you can just rename the file on your pc to .mp4 again. Not sure how you could set up something like this, but im sure its doable with a little scripting.

You can't pirate over Tor, anyways. So the real question is, what is your end goal? Do you want to pirate, or do you just want to browse the internet freely? I'm a highschoolfag and I'm almost out, but our school has had Macs for a few years now, and I've always used SOCKS proxy over SSH to get around their filters. Mind you, my school is extremely incompetent in the IT department, but it might work for you.

That's only if you choose to live on campus. Usually there's a shitton of housing within walking distance of campus.

And some dorms do have communal kitchen areas. I know mine does.

My main concern with this is the fact that it's just a red flag for anyone in a university to be masking their connection. Since there is a 4 strike limit though, it's worth a shot.

>can't you spoof it?
That would disconnect me from the network as my MAC address isn't registered on it.

Some colleges require you to live on campus for at least your first year or two.

Get a job with the school IT.

When I was in college my school did the same shit. I got an easy job doing student IT and quickly learned there were ways around it, not to mention they often let IT employees have special privileges.

Hows the weather at FGCU?

Yes, and the only traffic they would see is you connecting to a vpn.

Hot as fuck, I hate this state so much.

Good job on being able to put the post in quotation marks on google though, you're a real hacker :^)

Yeah, gonna go with this idea; Seems to be my best shot, and will be easily doable.

Torrent 4 Linux isos. Then argue with IT to get unlimited torrenting.

This.

Seed Linux Distros 24/7

i lold, not a bad idea

Just transfer to a different school. I would never go somewhere shitty IT policies.

Maybe using DPI but that requires very expensive equipment.

use tails, use obfuscated bridges

problem solved

>>forced dorms
You are free to rent outside of school grounds, but it is usually more expensive, still there might be a restriction for international students
>>forced meal plans
Same as above, you are free to eat outside or bring your own food, it is a matter of convenience.
>>no open flames in dorms
Fire code prevents this because these are dorm rooms not a common area. Also, dorm rooms are full of flammable materials and rarely they have an extinguisher inside the room itself. You can cook in the kitchen.
>>no hot plates
Same as above, additional risk is present if this is an electrical appliance.
>>NO COOKING
Same as above
>>NO PIRACY
They can't openly say that they don't care or that no measures will be set against it as it would be bad for their image. You also have to keep in mind that their ISP might hit them with copyright notices which they must forward to the actual person that did the violation, keeping the notice or not acting on it opens them up for an unnecessary lawsuit.

if tails is an option, there are plenty of PT's you can use that are pretty creative

>SkypeMorph
>It transforms Tor traffic flows so they look like Skype Video.

When I was in college I did this
>install Arch in a qemu VM on a computer lab computer
>used it as a proxy from my dorms
>dorm internets were really slow, like 200 KB/s, but the computer labs had fast internets of 10 Mbit/s (goodish at the time)

Holy fuck that's creative

>My main concern with this is the fact that it's just a red flag for anyone in a university to be masking their connection. Since there is a 4 strike limit though, it's worth a shot.

Tell them you're accessing your home file server.

What are you worried about? They won't know you are doing anything against the rules. If anyone asks, just say your were torrenting something that is freeware.

This is pretty easy OP. Just get a VPN and make sure all your traffic between you and the VPN is encrypted. It'll cost you a few dollars per month.

>mfw studying in France
>dorms have kitchens and bathrooms
>one student per room
>housekeeping
>intercom
>free brekkie
>free bike locks, valet if you've a car

Don't know what it's like for public unis though, but laughing at yanks right now

I can never believe Famburgers actually have to share rooms and pay out of the arse for the privilege, then get treated like children on top of it all. Proper third world shit right there.

best part was I was even allowed to have the VM for a ``basic loonix skilz'' class but it was supposed to host a website we made

OP Here, I have a single dorm. Not all schools do 2 per room.

You can turn that off, ya know?

They agree to it because they're 18yos who're getting soft loans from the government to pay for it all. They don't give a shit, they just borrow and live it up. then a few years later the bills come due and they're outraged.

Quit acting like every student has his own room in france

You probably do if you're smart enough to get into a school with actual entrance exams

>Implying I'm some pig disgusting Frenchman
This will not stand.

Use a Tor bridge.
Use a VPS to download your stuff.

Turn what off? The squid proxy I used or what?

passfag

Sure. Openvpn on a vps, ssh -D 9999 10.8.0.1 then set your proxy to socks5://localhost:9999 in your browser. Need to download something from the commandline? man proxychains. Also run dnscrypt-proxy and you should be golden

Oh the newfag detector? Anyone that uses a good Sup Forums script doesn't see the clover. I don't.

or just buy a cheap $5/month VPS and do this.

there's even scripts to automate it if you can't figure out openVPN

Your only real options are use a VPN, proxy through a VPS, or spoof another user's creds & MAC address.

If you run a system like they appear to be, you can get awfully restrictive really quickly.

Host router with cloned mac from a spoofed mac from a personal device, either use a wired hub or wireless hub. Use a site-to-site VPN with a router to tunnel your traffic to a remote VPS with a VPN service installed or paid VPN service.

If you aren't forced through their proxy, and you don't have a cert signed by them on your machine, they can't man in the middle your https. They can see what hosts you're talking to, and that's it.

Now if they have some sort of app you need to run to get connected, I would bet a dollar that they install one of their own certs at that point, even if they're not using it for a MITM yet.

You're cherry picking your facts there. Very few places force all of that. And the no piracy thing is basically the university lawyers giving the finger to the media companies. They enforce what's pretty weak anti-piracy, and refuse to allow the media companies direct access to their networks, or student's information; both of which they have repeatedly tried to get.

/thread

I know at least for firefox, it will pop a warning up and allow you to add an exception. If you add the exception they could mitm you.

Yeah, I was wondering if they made him do anything with certificates, but seeing as he didn't mention it, I suppose not.

I'm so glad I didn't go to that shitty ass school. The dorms are the only thing it has going for it and now you can't even torrent.

Stop living inside the University like a child.

How come I'm allowed to cook in my APARTMENT?

>unless your universities IT department was incompetent
If it's a public school there is a 200% chance of this being the case

If it's a private school it's probably still the case.

>You are free to rent outside of school grounds
Not in all schools.

Most IT departments are extremely incompetent, because they only have to solve problems related to a somehow even MORE incompetent general population.

In fact, most departments anywhere are incompetent. Once you've had a few jobs you'll realize that. Somehow the world keeps turning, though.

>from the government
Statistically most loans are unsubsidized private loans. studentloanhero.com/student-loan-debt-statistics/

Even "government loans" are just private loans the government forces banks to make to people and backs them in case they default.

Man fuck the schoo-lice. Hunger strike until they get rid of that rule.

solved. 404 this thread mods, user just solved the problem

Buy your own internet line in the dorm from an ISP, they will allow it if you pay for it. They don't give a fuck what you do, they have all this shit because they don't want to be liable for your ass.

depends entirely on what technology they use, some NAC setups are easier than others

here is a tip: dont do stupid shit on a school network and you wont have to complain. fucking kid

MAC spoofing

ITT: Retards talk about something they don't know much about.

I gurantee you they aren't MITM HTTPS because that would require them installing their own certificates on every registered device. Not to mention the fact that they dont MITM HTTPS doesn't help OP at all. At the very minimim, they can still see what websites you're visting. They can still see torrent traffic. Fucking retard.

>SSH into home server
>pirate all I want

Stay cucked

Make encryption forced in tour torrent program.

This

I was thinking this too.

What Uni is this OP?

I actually do know exactly what I'm talking about, and I know very well that you would need to install certificates in order for MITM to be possible, but OP might have left out any details as far as either installing them or needing to have an application that would automatically install certs. Yes, it is true that regardless, torrent traffic CAN be seen.

It is still important that they aren't doing any sort of HTTPS insertion to keep the integrity of any web traffic that he might have, say for example to a public tracker he might visit. Seeing that OP did not say that any sort of certificate installation was done, it seems that one problem can be eliminated. You shouldn't assume things about people's knowledge on a topic.

Find the mac address of the one who wrote the policy
Spoof it
See how he changes the policy to not get fired or enjoy how he gets fired

This is genius