/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/b/WzNQzy
pcpartpicker.com/list/HDxyTH
youtu.be/9KB1cZJLBVM)
pcpartpicker.com/list/NbTXGf
pcpartpicker.com/list/GbVsCy
pcpartpicker.com/list/TYhRbj
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236660
pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q
pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

is there a more reddlt case than nzxt phantom?

I don't know if you migrated or not, but yes
I have seen completed builds with that motherboard in that case
pcpartpicker.com/b/WzNQzy like here

First for intel getting absolutely destroyed by amd

Feels fucking goood, man! ;^)

oops, meant the tomahawk specifically

Reminder: Its generally not recommended to assemble your PC yourself. You should purchase the parts, then take them to a certified computer repair shop and have them assembled professionally for a small fee.

t. A pc repair shop owner

so why is the 1070 no longer worth while for new builders again? i'm pretty sure it still out performs the 580 by a good chunk and is significantly less than the 1080

Need genuine help here, I have the money for top of the line, but I don't play any games or plan to play any games that require a 1080ti + ryzen 7/i7 7700k, I was thinking about getting something more middle of the road "best bang for buck", and buying some games with the rest of the money.

Games that I want to play have a recommended 1GB of Vram.

>is there a more reddlt case than nzxt phantom?
No. Maybe.

Because it's just not worth the Gsync cost and being locked into Nvidia GPUs for their proprietary tech.
Nvidia may be forced to adopt Freesync soon since Freesync is being so widely adopted, and most TVs today are capable of it with a firmware update that's likely to come with Xbox Scorpio getting Freesync support.

Who said it isn't worth while? Its objectively the best price/performance ratio out there.

Can someone rate my build?
pcpartpicker.com/list/HDxyTH

Also, 1400 is definitely worth it, considering that when overclocked to 4 ghz with a mid-range gpu it performs exactly the same as a 1500x overclocked to 4 ghz. (youtu.be/9KB1cZJLBVM)

>buys white psu
>buys case that hides psu entirely
>buys asus shit
>tops it all off with shit cpu cooler

AMAZING BUILD MY DUDE

Seagate HDDs have the highest failure rate out of the more well known companies.

I work at a computer repair shop.

around 80% of the failed hdds i replace are Seagates.

This is anecodtal evidence, but i personally also have had three of the seven seagate drives i've owned fail.

Take it for what you will, but desu you'd have to pay me to put my data on a seagate drive.

Any recommended cheap 1TB hdd with 7200rpm

What kind of external HDD would you recommend above at least 1TB?

R5 1600
RX580 8GB
16GB RAM
500GB SSD
550-650W PSU

Enjoy your games.

>you'd have to pay me to put my data on a seagate drive
People who buy seagate already do this

for a media center pc, what is a good, quiet cpu cooler? hyper 212 is making too much noise. should i go aio or just a big ass noctua?

You're not going to be overclocking the 1400 to 4ghz with the stock cooler.

If this is a true poorfag build I assume you're playing at 1080p, which means you can save money by getting a 4GB video card instead of 8GB. You could put that money into either an aftermarket cooler or upgrading to the 1500x which comes with a better stock cooler than the 1400.

Any recommendations for a 1080p60hz screen as well?

If you already own the 212, you might be better off just replacing the fan with a better one.

What cpu do you have, what case?

Than which brand should I look into for a 2TB?

if 212 is too loud then your case must have poor airflow and its throttling to keep the internal temps down. Perhaps you should instead add/replace the fans inside to something more efficient. You can even replace the 212's fan if you want.

thermaltake core v21 matx cube. now that i think about it, im probably gonna just replace the shitty ass 200mm fan and 3pin 120mm in the pack.

cpu is 4670k ocd to 4.2ghz at 1.2v

Well here it is, tell me how I did.

pcpartpicker.com/list/NbTXGf

its the second one i have started to build but I feel like I might be putting too much into the mobo
also not sure how I feel about the single fan GPU as i have only ever used two fan versions but the power is more what I want. definitely want to try the Ryzen though

Also I'm not too sure about my RAM selection
I just want to be able to listen to music and browse internet and play games decently some multitasking would be good

Ultimately want to be under a grand if its possible

Western Digital has been pretty good for me overall
no failures... yet

Lots of options there, depending on how much you want to spend.

Samsung has been releasing a few good monitors recently - consider the S24E370DL or C24F390 for modestly priced 1080p.

Or just find an IPS / VA panel with good reviews that fits your budget.

With that kind of setup you could definitely get quieter by going with a bigger cooler and quieter fan - the 212 might be struggling a bit with OC, the case should have plenty of airflow.

I'm looking to set up a nice little HTPC that can also emu most things such as Dolphin, cemu, and pcsx2. Would this be able to pull it's weight?

I would be getting the Crucial 2x4, but the site doesn't have it for some reason. The 560 is what I'm currently using on another computer and I have just a generic 450W PSU laying around so I planned on migrating those.

pcpartpicker.com/list/GbVsCy

200$ for monitor preferebly 150$~

Its impossible for me to connect my ethernet cable into my pc so im playing with wifi usb so my question is does momboard Fatal1ty AB350 K4 supports wifi?

What's a budget case that can fit a 170mm tall cpu cooler?

How much of an improvement are 7200 rpm HDDs over 5400? Also, I've heard they're pretty noisy?

Also must have ability to slot a DVD drive

pcpartpicker.com/list/TYhRbj
hows it look,
rather not get a 500gb SSD, so i just opted for a 120gb to put my OS on and 1tb blue.

What third world country do you live in user?

>DVD drive
>2017

I want to watch some of my DVD's on my pc?

>With that kind of setup you could definitely get quieter by going with a bigger cooler and quieter fan
just picked up 3x nanoxia DS 140mm fans. lets see how quieter itll get.

external dvd drives negro

Anyone know? I am one click away from ordering it just waiting for confirmation

Thanks in advance

>shitting on dvd drives
>when they are still the more reliable way to install an OS

>what's usb

This, USB install is a meme and DVD's are cheap nowadays. They are also a good way to back up data.

the inferior install method

It just werks

>no need to buy dvd discs to burn

That motherboard does not have integrated WIFI.

until it doesn't which was a notorious problem with windows 7 and some incompatible flash drives

So that means my WIFI usb will not work on it? Which momboard you reccomend with similar price with wifi?

Damn this is disappointing

7200rpm has been the desktop standard for like, 15 years, they are significantly faster than 5400. Some are noisier than others.

Looks pretty good. I would bump the RAM up to a 3200mhz kit - it's a bit hit or miss right now whether or not it will actually work at that speed but I still think it's worth it, especially since you should be able to get some for even less than the price of the 2666.

The cooler is overkill unless you're planning to overclock to 3.8ghz+, but it will at least be quiet as fuck.

The USB stick will work. It should work with literally any motherboard. I'm just sayin the motherboard itself doesn't have WIFI so you will need either an extra WIFI card or WIFI usb.

>Nvidia may be forced to adopt Freesync soon
Glad to hear that. I hate slimy fucking companies that just fuck their customers as hard as possible.

If you want adaptive sync at any price point below $300, AMD wins. Period. By a large margin, too. Because Nvidia forces monitor manufacturers to pay $100 for the Gsync module, which is *literally* objectively worse than Freesync in every way.

Fuck Nvidia. Fuck fanboys too.

Which is better for more stable and faster connection? WIfi card or wifi usb?

Is it just me, or is this a fucking retarded case?

I'd just go ahead and get a 75Hz Freesync monitor since they're only like $115 for cheap ones.
Or actually get something of better quality since you have the money and might actually appreciate the better quality picture more than LE FAST COMPOOTER

I like vertical PCI when it makes it slimmer. But that's even wider. lmao.
It's an okay idea. Terrible execution.

Generally a wifi card will get a better connection because they actually have antennas, and they usually have the hardware to support faster transfer speeds.

Whether or not it makes a difference depends on how far you are from your wireless point, what speeds and connection types your wireless point supports, and what your current USB is rated to handle.

Recommend a cooler then?

Im not far away, im using 10$ shitty TP LINK Wifi (it has antenna) usb and my connection is 90%+, download speed 52mbs and upload 11mbs

>just installed a CLC
>it's running cooler than my custom loop at ambient temps
pretty amazing, first time i've seen my CPU at sub 30C in a while, still, good ambient temps doesn't mean good OC temps, going to let the thermal paste rest for a bit then i'm overclocking.

What's the best low end gpu that can do 4K/60fps NON-gaming?

gtx 1080 ti

If you're going to stay on stock speeds, the boxed cooler will probably meet your needs. AMD actually included a pretty decent one with the 1600.

You can always buy an aftermarket one later if you decide the stock is too noisy and/or you want to overclock.

If you're planning to overclock, pretty much any 120mm tower cooler will be sufficient to keep OC load to around 60-65C.

What you have is probably good enough, unless you are experiencing problems with it. If you want to upgrade you could get a TP-Link TL-WDN4800.

Non gaming ie browser word processing, spreadsheets

pls rate

Thanks dude

I am really fucking angry because i have to use wifi for gaming, is there a huge difference between wired and wireless conmection even if signal strenght is 90%?

>housefire lake
terrible

Gpu that doesnt have power cords

>7200rpm has been the desktop standard for like, 15 years, they are significantly faster than 5400. Some are noisier than others.
Bzzzt, wrong. The performance difference between 5400 RPM and 7200 is meaningless by any practical sense. 5400 are much quieter and use a little less power. No reason to get a 7200RPM drive unless it's discounted below its equivalent 5400.

It's for YouTube autismos

Motherfucker you do not need a discrete graphics card just to run your computer. The integrated graphics on a G4560 would run 4K. Just use whatever's integrated into your CPU.

What's the best 16GB RAM chips to go with a Ryzen 1700 build?

Not that much. Wireless has progressed massively over the last 10 years. Most people probably wouldn't even notice the difference anymore between a good wireless setup and a wired setup.

Now you're just trolling.

G.skill flareX or ripjaws V

>Now you're just trolling.

Not trolling at all, 72000 RPM is a meaningless difference now that SSDs are mainstream.

There are two possible situations:
1) You have to use a hard drive as a boot drive because you can't afford an SSD

2) You're just using a hard drive as bulk storage

In situation 1, your boot times and load times are going to be terrible regardless of what hard drive you use. Yeah, maybe a 7200 will shave 2 seconds off your computer boot time, but shaving 2 seconds off of a 40 second boot is meaningless and not worth the much, much louder drive.

In situation 2, performance doesn't matter that much to begin with. You're just storing movies or rarely-used programs. You might as well go with the cooler, much *much* quieter 5400 drive.

$1200 PC with 2133MHz RAM. Pathetic.

>spending 50% more on already expensive memory for literally sub-5% better performance

Memoryfags are the worst.

That Noctua cooler is the best mah dude

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236660

is this the best IPS 1440p 144+hz monitor?

Does frequency matter much with Ryzen?

How many more fps would he get with 3200mhz ram?

If you are using a HDD as a primary disk, a 7200 is going to be at least 30% faster than a 5400 - this means your 40 second boot becomes a 26 second boot. It means a non-negligible difference for booting, loading software, copying or moving files; meaningfully faster for everything. Back when HDDs were the primary storage device people did everything they could to try and get around the massive bottleneck that they present - including getting 10kRPM drives or using ramdrives. Even a 7200RPM HDD bottleneck is huge, and 5400 is adding a shitload more on top of that.

Or, if you have an SSD and you're using the HDD for bulk storage, you could argue that getting a 5400 is worth it to save money, maybe, but a bulk storage drive is going to be sitting idle most of the time, so heat, noise and power are pretty much also meaningless, and the times when you do have to use it to manage large amounts of data (which you will, since that's the entire point of having a large bulk storage drive) it is going to be slower than molassas.

How much does he even really need?

Yes. If you're going for 2x16GB, you want 2667MHz(faster probably isn't going to happen right now). If you're going for 2x8GB, you want 3200MHz. With Intel, you want the fastest modules for your required capacity on your motherboard vendor's QVL that aren't absurdly expensive.

I disagree with you

Fine, be that way.

What kind of old dinosaur do you live on?
Most motherboard past 2011 has no issues.

Most laptop nowadays comes without a DVD drive.

I ditched DVDs years ago.
External HDDs, internal HDDs and USB keys fo' lyfe bae

It's 4% more total build cost for 5-20% better performance. You fail at math.

It's inherently not the best since it's GSync.

I heard Freesync was garbo compared to Gsync.

What kind of rig you got going on right now? Any specific kind of +1TB External HDD that would be good?

If you're gonna use adaptive frame sync, every frame is valuable, but I really don't think ram freq impacts FPS that significantly to justify the value.

>It's inherently not the best since it's GSync.
>I heard Freesync was garbo compared to Gsync.

It really doesn't matter.

If you have an AMD card, get freesync. If you have an nvidia card, get gsync.

You'd be absolutely stupid to buy a freesync monitor and hook it up to an nvidia card, for the sake of $100-200 (shouldn't have bought nvidia if you can't afford that), adaptive frame sync is amazing tech.

Can you actually demonstrate that 5-20% performance boost? Over let's say 5 games, no limit on their age.

So how is this monitor?

pcpartpicker.com/product/XvfmP6/asus-monitor-pg279q

>This, USB install is a meme and DVD's are cheap nowadays. They are also a good way to back up data.

worst post in the entire thread, you're a dumb nigger.

If I were going to get a new monitor right now, that's what I would get (I am an nvidiot). Personally I'm waiting for the 4k 144hz HDR gsync monitors to come to a reasonable price.

Can any graphics cards even power 4k 144hz yet?

nah, 2080ti or 3080ti will be out by then though.

Yeah... get a nice case if you like. But really what are you going to be doing? Looking at a computer case or looking at a monitor? Get good peripherals.

Ahh, I see. Is IPS that big of an upgrade over TN?

I was looking at this: pcpartpicker.com/product/BcTrxr/dell-monitor-s2716dg

Since it's actually decent colors and not meme-red.

anything bitfenix, though it seems to be used less and less