Music Production

Do any of you produce music? I'm in the market for buying a laptop to produce on, and there seems to be a bias towards Apple products. I was curious if there was an actual reason for this aside from aesthetics.

Other urls found in this thread:

newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235134&cm_re=external_storage-_-22-235-134-_-Product
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

on a vaguely related note, does anyone know if you can put asio drivers on onboard Realtek laptop sound card? I don't wanna lug my audio interface around.

Vaguely in their audio codec. But no where near worth the price tag, let alone considering apple.
It's in the range of cable riser sort of improvement.
Only other thing would be the on board speakers, but they're probably cheep trash anyways. And you'd be using your own headphones.
But the real thing here is that you should stop shopping for a computer by task that is not hardware intensive. They're computers...
All the same shit.
Look for what's 'cheep' and has shit like a good sized screen and plenty of RAM.
Google.

>Google
researched it a few days ago. all I found was a 32 bit driver that shows up but can't initialize an audio stream in any daw I tried.

Either you didn't google hard enough, or it can't be done.

just wrap that shit asio4all if your daw can't do that directly

do you know what a codec is?

Yes, and apple uses a different one. That's why it's shilled for all sorts of media production.

obviously not, but it's easy to tell he means the coreaudio api so why be a dick about it?

you don't know what a codec is

ALAC

no one buys an apple computer for the alac encoder, which is open-source

Lots of reasons to no buy apple, yet here we are telling OP this so he doesn't fall for marketing...

There's an industry bias for sure towards Apple, probably because of audio drivers but it doesn't make much difference anymore. I use Windows 10 LTSB to mix and master professionally with my rig and there are no issues with any of the software I use.

If you're in the market you at least have to say what your willing to spend. You want to have a high performance CPU and at least 8 GB of ram with an SSD, ideally. Even if it's a 512 or 250, you basically need enough for your sample libraries, software and then you can throw your projects on to an external for archiving, only keeping your current most projects on your computer (if they're all audio-based recordings.)

I wouldn't track with a laptop unless you have plenty of space either.

Shitty gaming laptops with at least a 7300HQ and the specs I mentioned above will do just fine.

Any gaymen laptop with HQ (real quad core cpu) are good. I like the XPS and Razer tho

So let me break this down for you.

If you're going to be playing outside of your local area, buy a mac and get the retarded service warranty for it. It can save your ass, they will do anything to accommodate for you and will overnight ship to a service center if they have to. The "technical" reason for it, is that Core Audio can make a noticeable difference for performing and recording. Also, music gear manufacturers will almost always check to see if their shit works with Mac products, so it's often easier to get things to work without problems or troubleshooting than other platforms. It's mostly a meme, but there are SOME reasons why the favoritism exists.

If you're chilling at home and just want to work on stuff, there is no reason to get a more expensive mac product and you'll be 100% set with almost any mid range laptop. In fact, probably your second largest concern after the processor should be the screen resolution and ability to plug in a second monitor. Just having a decent laptop to produce on should be your primary concern for now it seems.

Windows 10 has WASAPI now, which is Windows' low-latency equivalent to CoreAudio.

Yeah, most audio software does not give a fuck, though
Almost everything daw on windows is asio only, which is fine, but a lot more limited when compared to coreaudio in terms of things like aggregate devices and resampling

Or he could back everything onto a spare drive, programs included. To borrow someone laptop without having to pay a retarded price for a mac, and additional fee for a service warranty.
This way he saves money, and has more shit to show for it.

Yeah, but you can literally walk into any Mac store (they're in every major city), show your warranty, and walk out the door with a new laptop of the same model and have all your shit loaded onto it. That's a service that won't exist with other manufacturers, and if you do need it, it's worth it.

>back everything onto a spare drive, programs included
Yeah, good luck with that one.

>Yeah, good luck with that one.
Are you fucking serious?
newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822235134&cm_re=external_storage-_-22-235-134-_-Product

CoreAudio was a Marvell in the time where PowerPC kiked the ass of Intel.
It still is in some extend, if you need use the outputs of the notebook. You can obtain similar results with ASIO4All but at cost of some inestability.
As usual, most Apple things where true in the past.

Everyone I know still whines about high latency in Windows 10.

Play for them, but use a pre recording. Swipe advanced. Ask them what they think.
Basically call them out for being posing faggots.

I use Reason which only works for Mac and Windows. I want to switch to Linux as I know there are many great DAWs there, but with regards to my old tracks I'm basically fucked. I can export each track as a raw wav and import it elsewhere, but I loose all of the raw data and ability to recreate the sounds for anything sampled or synthesized.

Feelsbadman

>posing faggots
They're composers at my university. They do realtime stuff all the time.

What does that change?
Problem is either in the recording/playback gear, or their inability to adapt. A grand piano doesn't produce sound the moment skin touches ivory.

You sound like the kind of idiot who has never serviced their own PC or laptop. Or ever replaced a hard drive, or upgraded a CPU or backed anything up to a server. Of course you're attracted to easily broken Facebook machines with soldered down parts forcing every consumer to pay not only over the odds for hardware but also for a service warranty too because repairs are impossible unless you're Louis Rossman.

They usually bring their laptops and nothing more in their concerts. Windows ones, as they said, still have more latency that mac ones connected a the output jack.
They don't have much difference if are put in a interface, but lots of those concerts are done without interfaces.

Metro Boomin uses a Razer Blade and a shitty wireless mouse. You'll never be as good as him so you sure as hell won't need any better equipment

Still talking pooftinths of a millisecond. Take note of speaker arrangement. And amps.
Or even if the laptops are provided by the uni. Could be a case of lust.

You also should consider that, in some ways, using a Mac is some kind of belonging symbol in their culture.
Lots of them use PC's anyways. And that money isn't mine so I smile and walk away.
I still will not touch Windows 10.

software

Did you passively call me a microshit shill?
Fuck win 10.
I'm just here dumping on apples prices. Haven't used their OS other than on other peoples iPhone.
OP can get a better specced laptop cheaper and a 4TB external drive with change left over.
Not familiar with laptop mobo's, so a hackentosh might be a solve to the latency as well.
Actually that should have been mentioned sooner.