Home server thread

I got my hands on a pretty decent machine (i5-3570, 4gb ram, 120 gb ssd) that I intend to use as a home server for torrenting and streaming on my computer and phone. What OS and server streaming application should I install on it?

>inb4 install gentoo

If you are totally new to linux, install windows 7 and setup shared directories, install qbitorrent/transmission and setup webUI. Setup webui for vlc, winamp, everything that has webUI. Install tightVNC and install boinc screensaver to help cancer research :)

Following this thread

I recently just put one together as well and still getting everything set up. I have server 2012 essentials and found a way to give evey computer in the house its own permissions to my file shares by tricking active directory without adding them to the domain. It's pretty neat. But trying to figure how else I could put this thing to work

Seconding this answer. Although, OP, it may sound like you may just need a NAS?

>My Question:
I was using an old Macbook Pro with Debian installed as a LAMP server for many years, but it finally died. Looking for a cheap replacement. Is a MiniPC a good idea for a low-traffic LAMP server? Any recommendations?

I'm putting together my server now and facing a similar issue. Windows 7 seems comfy enough, I don't know Linux enough yet and I feel like Plex with all it's permission issues might be a headache.

People here will poop on you for using Windows, but the fact is that using Linux without understanding it is far less secure than using an OS you understand. If you like Windows, go with Windows.

+1 internetz for you based user

>homeserver
>windows 7
stopped reading here

>Seconding this answer. Although, OP, it may sound like you may just need a NAS?

For the moment, indeed, I just need a good NAS. But I may find additional uses for it. RAM is cheap and the CPU is overkill, so I may setup a VM for Linux if I have the time.

Yeah, I get you. I bought a NAS (one of those shitty WD MyCloud things), and it works great, but I find myself wishing I could remote into it and set up a torrent client (like you said) and a web server and stuff, which I can't.

Windows 7 is objectively the best OS for a homeserver for normies who are not familiar with linux. Not everybody in this world is a neet like you who wants muh privacy cherry MX autistic setup.

shhh bb

HOME SERVERS ARE A MEME

you fell for it

OP here. Let's say I fell for this autistic bait. What should I do with that computer, considering I got it for almost free?

pfsense
NAS

Replace with high capacity drive, don't need an SSD for torrent box.

Of course I'll get another hdd, or three. Did you think I was going to torrent movies an a 120 gig ssd?

>What should I do with that computer, considering I got it for almost free?
useless system
asking me to give him a use

give it away to someone who doesn't have a good computer. Or sell it. whatever. with every passing second it becomes worth less.
>pfsense
>NAS
way overkill and too much power (computational and electrical)

Can't pretty much anything run LAMP? For something small, maybe a Raspberry Pi?

Got these parts from my uncle since he went on to bigger and better.
I've also got a G3258 left that I'm currently not using.

Looking at power consumption, would I be better off using my G3258 as a Plex server? The i7 seems overkill to me, and I'm thinking of just use it as a workstation for VM's.

My media is only 1080p max, and I'll only need to transcode to 1-2 devices at the same time (mostly one)/

You should've gotten a Synology NAS, user.
It has all these things.

>GNU+LAMP
FTFY

t.rms

>ram is cheap

Not right now it isn't lmao

>windows 7
>not 2008 r2 or any linux
ishygddt

I really miss windows home server.

>Plex
>permissions issues

Works on my machine. No idea what youre talking about

I think I know what he's talking about.

I recently installed Plex on my Ubuntu machine, and I had trouble getting Plex access to my sdb and sdc drives, even after adding the plex user to the correct group.

In the end I said fuck it, and told plex to use my user account