Fuck Ubuntu

Is there a Linux distro that will actually install properly other than Ubuntu? First time installing any distro alongside Windows 10, and Ubuntu won't install GRUB2 properly so it won't boot.

Are variants like Xubuntu or Lubuntu worth a goddamn, or should I just start looking for another distro entirely?

just use Windows 10 if you're too retarded to google your problem

Distros I have dualbooted with windows 10 without any trouble:

Fedora
Antergos
OpenSuse
SolusOS
Manjaro
Ubuntu

What kind of error do you get?

Install arch. If it fucks up your boot, go back to windows.

I've had good results with Mint but your results may vary...

gentoo

Gentoo because you have control over everything instead of using faggy installers programmed by clueless pajeets.

Mint's installer is the same as Ubuntu's. I think OP needs to get into his BIOS and change some things (not telling him what things bc it's the rules here) tbqhfamalam

Mint is trash, it doesn't work with amd video card 5 years ago. Just black screen and fuck you. Are you sure that will not happen again?

I've done nothing but googling my problem. I'm at the point where I'm asking anonymous strangers for help out of pure frustration.
It's a long story, but basically, even after using the installer to partition my drive and the installer telling me everything installed a-OK, I try to run boot-repair and it tells me it can't boot. So I reinstall GRUB2, but that gave me another error, something about a boot path. I didn't want to fuck with my hard drive too much (I use the Windows partition for everything), so I gave up.
>pic related, it's me trying to get this POS to work
Fuck off.

Get Manjaro

Have you tried manually removing the MBR?

i guess grub2 installs properly but you dipshit did something wrong.

If you want to work with a linux like ubuntu just enable bash on windows and install an x server on the windows machine.

It's basically the same thing.

Is your computer UEFI or BIOS?

Could be more things... Try turning off options like SecureBoot, Intel this and that in your BIOS first. When installing the bootloader, make sure it's installed on you hard drive, for instance, dev/sda or dev/sdb. Also, if you are installing through UEFI, which you probably are, you need to make a separate EFI boot partition.

You could try Manjaro since it uses a different installer (Calamares), but Ubuntu is supposed to install just fine.

Buy a cheap HDD and install Linux on it. Partitioning space from your windows HDD is never a good idea.

Make sure you install grub on the Linux drive and Turn secure boot off.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

>he didn't turn off secure boot

you just configured grub wrong, normally it detects windows

I have EFI, and I don't think it will play nice if I set it to Legacy BIOS.
That's a drain on resources that a dual-boot otherwise wouldn't have. Also, the whole point of dual-booting is to get away from Microsoft's prying eyes.
Secure Boot and Fast Boot are off, it won't install if either are on.

All I know is that when I boot, it goes straight to Windows, doesn't even prompt for another OS.

I recommend using Windows 10 Professional for the best personal computing experience possible.

Yeah, windows doesn't play nice you have to reinstall and repartition your main hard drive if you want to work well with the linux bootloader.

I got a version that's GPT-friendly.

I meant the basic windows install's bootloader doesn't play nice.
You need to nuke it and reinstall.

Also set the Windows UEFI bootloader that comes by default with the computer to the bottom of the boot order.

Ubuntu installer is shit, don't expect it to work properly if you want to install using non-default options.

>based on your location, we estimate your timezone to be X/Y. is this correct?
>select "no"
>WELL TOO FUCKING BAD, YOU DON'T GET TO SELECT THE CORRECT ONE

I used default options and it still didn't install right.

Quit tripfagging dickhead

>the same autist saying the same phrase in every post
what fuels your autism user? depression? just kys