/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

State the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in many games atm
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SGRAATIR9290X4GB
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/R9Dbf8
pcpartpicker.com/list/whFW8K
pcpartpicker.com/list/gBrJHN
silentpcreview.com/article1406-page3.html
silentpcreview.com/article1406-page11.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/R4pZKZ
pcpartpicker.com/list/jXsHD8
microcenter.com/product/452485/Vengeance_Series_8GB_2_x_4GB_DDR4-3200_PC4-25600__Desktop_Memory_Kit
youtube.com/watch?v=2yMLKcaFirw
pcpartpicker.com/list/nYymHN
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Also the last of my shit came in today but its way too fucking hot to build it now.

is this worth the price?
uk.webuy.com/product.php?sku=SGRAATIR9290X4GB

it would be going into this
uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/R9Dbf8

Need help guys.
Got my first rig today, now after few ocs on my 580 and a reboot the driver says there was a problem and settings will be set back... but now the last 3 Gpu Core stages are locked to 1150 mhz, before they were 200-300 higher!! what is going on?

>sempron 3850
>ecs kam1-I motherboard
>8gb corsair vengeance lp 1600mhz ddr3
>160gb wd blue
>seasonic 350w psu

Lets do this shit
Everything should be here by the end of the week, psu comes tomorrow, then I've got to bastardize a case for this thing

it is pretty cheap, but a reference 290 isn't something i would ever recommend. They run VERY hot, VERY loud and will thermal throttle. Not really a good choice, you can find better used cards on ebay from trusted sellers.

>sempron 3850
Nigga, you can buy an Athlon 5350 used for the same price.

Need advice on whether to get the RX 570 or 580 4GB. Some help on the wifi card as well.

pcpartpicker.com/list/whFW8K

i remember when i built mine i did it as fast as i could and cut myself very bad with the fucking IO shield, there was blood everywhere all over the RAM, CPU & cooler heatsink. To this day there's still dried blood on the RAM

>pcpartpicker.com/list/whFW8K
Get 3200mhz ram - should be pretty much the same price.

Wifi card is fine unless you have 1gbit internet

570 is fine for 1080/75hz

why is his pc full of jello

Until companies started actually putting some effort into cases and stuff it was pretty much a given that doing any work with a computer would draw blood. I'm pretty sure every time I touched a computer up to 2006 it drew blood.

Im buying everything at the end of the week. Plz help

pcpartpicker.com/list/gBrJHN
Mostly gaming, have a large tv as second moniter.

looking for arguments against the monitor. i want 144hz but dont know where to get it cheaper or in a higher res without breaking the bank.

And would appreciate a once over to check to make sure I didnt make any rookie mistakes. Thanks, this is hopefully the final list ill post here, so i will be bothering you guys no longer

The 580 (8GB) and 570 (8GB) perform pretty close to each other, i personally think going for the 570 8GB is a wiser choice because of the extra VRAM: some rare games already manage to go above 4GB on max settings. The slight performance drop you get in exchange for 0 chance of that VRAM bottleneck ever happening for the duration of the card seems pretty worth to me.

Would June/July be a good time to build a high-end computer for around $1500-$2000?

Or is there something really good coming out in Q3/Q4?

It's an issue of pricing. The 580 8GB is too expensive for my budget. So I need to choose between the 570 and 580 4GB.

Heatsink sucks
Ram sucks
Case sucks
PSU sucks
Graphics card and monitor are a bad pairing

Is this your first build?

get a monitor with g-sync at least, that's probably the shittiest 144hz monitor out there right now

Your case doesn't have a 2.5" slot for your SSD.

It is, and im not really a Sup Forumsent anyway.could you make some recomendations? Anything would be apreciated

That seems like a pretty low end cooler, i wouldn't recommend it.
silentpcreview.com/article1406-page3.html
silentpcreview.com/article1406-page11.html
Using this website's benchmarks, it seems only 2°C cooler than intel's (very bad) stock cooler. Granted, this is on old hardware, but the point still stands: it's not that much better than an already very bad cooler.
For $10 more you can get much better coolers already like the Hyper TX3, 212 Evo, and with $4 over that you get a cryorig C7, pic related.

Don't cheap out on the cooler, it's one of the things you never regret spending more money into (unless above $80). A $30 cooler will last you long and will carry on to your next builds, the one you posted won't and is even most likely to bad to be viable in your current build.

Whats g synch?

Thanks, i know. I have one of those metal hdd to ssd brackets

rx 570 8GB

You forgot:
Motherboard sucks (sucked? Did they get their shit together?)
SSD sucks
Keyboard sucks

We're being baited.

Is X370 really worth it if I'm not trying to overclock past 4ghz? If so, which is the best one?

you can't overclock over 4.1GHz anyway, regardless of silicon lottery

>Is X370 really worth it [...] overclock
no, b350 have good enough boards for decent overclock

no bait sir, just my first build and trying to find out whats what. I already own the case, mouse, keyboard, and the headphones I plan on using with it. Can you tell me what about them suck so I can make better selections?

Thank you user, very helpful advice. Already got it swapped out.

essentially g-sync/freesync prevents screen tearing in the event your framerate dips below 144.
freesync (AMD) is generally cheaper but g-sync is well worth the money if you're looking at a 1080.
don't go buying high quality monitors for gaming until you do more research on this stuff, you can get really fucked on products.

whats a good upgrade option for 1440 coming from a 380?

What's the best Z270 board I can get with a budget of $280 for my 7700?

I was just planning on getting a Gigabyte Aorus Z270X but I just wanted to see if there was something else worth looking into if I invested a little more cash.

no you cannot, trust me i looked, for a very long time
prices are inflated as fuck because theyre great chips, but theyre never made in big numbers, so new stock is too expensive, and people sell used for high as an be

i was bidding on one used and it hit 50$, fuck that noise
i got the sempron for 24$ used

amazon is all above 60
ebay is all above 50
theres nothing local
most online retailers of new ones either dont have them in stock or the ones they do are in the 80+ range
its some shit

trust me, i would have loved a 5350, i know how well a 5350 performs, my sisters machine is a 5350 and a 750ti
but i didnt have any other choice for a sub 40$ processor after i bought that motherboard for 10$h

>7700
I hope you mean a 7700K...

GTX 1070, or 1080 if you really want performance but it comes at a quite bigger price.

gigabyte has made some great boards this generation, theyre definitely one of my top picks
id just go with the gigabyte board
the offers from the other brands like MSI, ASUS, Biostar, etc really arent anything special in comparison, you get x or y feature here and there but nothing beats the good ol build quality of gigabyte

Kinda new to computers here, I need everything except a mouse and have a total budget of $700ish. Any suggestions?

read the op

I do

Pentium g4560 and RX 470 + 8 or 16gb of ddr4 on the cheapest b250 motherboard you can find with a 1tb hdd, 120gb ssd for windows, a decent 1080p monitor and preferably a power supply with a gold rating or higher

i honestly cant be assed to set up a pcpartpicker list on a 1024x768 screen using a trackpoint, otherwise i would

Built my first system from a combination of hand-picked and free parts, now it's time to re-do it. After some testing my free, old (4-5 years) bronze+ PSU is giving me some issues and it's giving me a lot of erratic behavior. So I'd like to tear it all down and move it to a different case with some better RAM and a high quality cooler.

How does this look overall? The rig will be used for VR and racing sims (hence the wide 144hz 1080p monitor)

pcpartpicker.com/list/R4pZKZ

Just picked out the ASRock AB350M for my mATX mobo. Can someone help me pick out a Micro ATX mid tower case?

Cooler - should ugprade to 212 or Cryorig H7 as has been said. The T2 has terrible performance.
Motherboard - ASUS has been having some issues with their Ryzen boards, you're better off getting a Gigabyte or ASRock.
Ram - Use it if you own it, otherwise you should be getting 3200mhz
SSD - Crucial MX300 is best price/performance
HDD - Fine for storage
GPU - A 1080 is generally going to be pretty excessive for 1080p
Case - Use it if you own it, otherwise there are better cases in terms of style, cooling, ease of use, etc.
PSU - Corsair TX, RM, HX and AX are good, other models are shitty. Either get one of those or get a Seasonic.
Monitor - Getting a super expensive graphics card to play at ultra settings is a waste if you have a TN monitor with shit picture quality. If you want the best gaming experience, get a VA panel. If you want the best color accuracy, get an IPS.

Fractal Design Define S or C.

Why can't I just buy a CPU straight from Intel?
Why do I have to pay extra to feed a bunch of useless middle men?

hat's the worst thing that could happen if I don't have qvl ram? I have teamgroup TDRED ram and it's compatible with the MSI Mortar, but I keep hearing bad experiences on it. I'm looking at the gaming 3 or pro 4 but it's not on the qvl. as long as I can boot I'm okay with it.

Because then Intel would have to form the infrastructure needed to sell, package, and ship all these products across the world

>your computer if you lose in homeworld:cataclysm too many times

holy shit what

Normally means they haven't tested it so they can't say it will work at any particular speed. Lots of people use non-QVL ram at rated speeds, but it is hit or miss.

looking for a 1080p 144hz monitor for competitive gaming. suggest.

It should be easy peasy to hire a few Mexicans to mail the orders.
They're already packaging stuff as it is.

So I feel stupid for asking this, but if a motherboard I am getting supports "DDR4 3200(OC)+/ 2933(OC)/ 2667(OC)/ 2400/ 2133", can I put DDR4-3000 RAM cards in there?

I'm a different guy but here are my tips anyway

CPU: You may aswell get a 1600 with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo and overclock the 1600 to run at 1600X speeds, and save your self £50

Cooler: See above

Ram: Get 3200Mhz 16gb (2 x 8gb) Corsair Vengeance LPX, it's been proved to work well with your motherboard and boost the Ryzen's performance significantly

Motherboard: ASUS Prime B350 Plus is absolutely fine, not sure what the other person was talking about, overclocks the Ryzen 1600 very well too with the onboard UEFI software

GPU: Good card but there have been some reported issues with AMD CPU/Nvidia GPU in certain games. You may wish to wait for the new AMD Vega GPU's which should be out within a month, or by June 31st latest. If not, 1080 is a good choice as patches are being released to improve Ryzen's compatability with the Nvidia cards

Monitor: This is absolutely fine too but just bear in mind you will never be reaching the 1080's full potential with a 1080p monitor. I'd recommend looking for an alternative 1440p, maybe that extra £50 saved on the CPU will allow you to do that. Also if you're going to get a 24 inch 1080p 144Hz monitor then I definitely recommend looking at BenQ

Mouse: This looks to be a waste of money, there are plenty cheaper gaming mice out there with perfect sensors, if i were you I'd look for a cheaper alterntive

I'm not going to get baited. Fuck you.

Gpu temps suddenly increased from 30s to 50s on idle. Should I be worried?

Go onto your motherboard vendor's website, find your motherboard, find the 'QVL' or qualified vendor list, it will list all memory that is confirmed to work with your motherboard.

:/

So, this is the setup I made:
pcpartpicker.com/list/jXsHD8
(The case and monitor I already have . (Philips Full HD 144hz))
For mainly gaming but I do need a good processor for working. (but I don't want to OC)

Suggestions and rating please!

>Cooler
ok, i got the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO in the cart now

>Ram
ok, how is this?
microcenter.com/product/452485/Vengeance_Series_8GB_2_x_4GB_DDR4-3200_PC4-25600__Desktop_Memory_Kit

>SSD
MX300 275GB 2.5" SATA III SSD added to cart

>HDD
At least I got one right

>GPU - A 1080 is generally going to be pretty excessive for 1080p
aight, Id like the power for now, lets get a nicer monitor then

>Case - Use it if you own it, otherwise there are better cases in terms of style, cooling, ease of use, etc.
I own it, but I will start shopping around to see if I can find something cheep

>PSU - Corsair TX, RM, HX and AX are good, other models are shitty. Either get one of those or get a Seasonic.
Will the Builder Series CX500 500 Watt ATX 12V Power Supply do?

>Monitor - Getting a super expensive graphics card to play at ultra settings is a waste if you have a TN monitor with shit picture quality. If you want the best gaming experience, get a VA panel. If you want the best color accuracy, get an IPS.
This is where I am the most stuck. Everything is so pricey here

Nice, good to hear this. I had already moved over to that cooler, ram, and was hoping to stay with that motherboard. Already own the mouse unfortunately, was a Christmas present from the girlfriend, and was from the walmart if I recall. I like it just fine, even if I wouldnt have spent the money.

So ive never overclocked before, is it a pain to set up?

About the monitor though, atleast for right now I need to pick something up by saturday afternoon at the absolute latest, so im mostly looking around microcenter and frys in duluth, I might settle with what I had earlier and then get something nicer down the road.

Thank you both so much, this is EXTREMELY helpful for someone building a desktop for the first time.

... what is that stuff in OP's photo?
Did someone load it up with automotive grease?

>>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
So paired with an R5 1600 it's enough to get a consistent 60 fps on high settings in Witcher 3? An RX570 4GB to be exact as I currently can't find an 8GB anywhere here in Canada. Anyone have any experience? It's probably the most intensive game I'm looking to run in the foreseeable future.

Im looking for a M2 SSD.
How big is the difference between a SATA SSD and a M2 SSD?

vega may 8th?

Yeah if you don't have the freedom to go for another monitor then just get something now and upgrade later

I'm not sure what the other guy is referring to in regards to ASUS AMD motherboards, I haven't come across anyone having any part-specific issues with them, but it could be something I haven't yet heard of.

The RAM should do fine but it may be worth going for a 2x8gb seen as MHz and memory amount seem to have a fairly significant impact on Ryzen performance.

Overclocking seems daunting at first but is actually quite straightforward, plus with advances in CPU temperature detection it's very difficult to physically damage your CPU like it was a few years ago. This video came out yesterday and explains it all very well.

youtube.com/watch?v=2yMLKcaFirw

why is it so hard to buy an asrock taichi motherboard

When we will see NVIDIA rebrands/new generation?

M.2 is a connector for either SATA or PCI-E.

M.2 SATA is no different than regular SATA.
M.2 PCI-E is theoretically much faster, but not really in practice.

sauce me, nigga

word is they will wait until end of june

Would be nice but is unlikely, the Computex event is coming up May 30th so I imagine the release date will be announced then, or if we're lucky it will be released at that event.

I forgot to mention that im looking for a NVMe SSD.
I already have all my SATA ports used by something.

My motherboard doesn't support SATA SSDs.

Primary purpose is gayming with some moderate streaming on the side. Availability was very limited (welcome to the 3rd world), this is the best I could think of while keeping budget:
pcpartpicker.com/list/nYymHN
How terrible is it?

Should be OK. Case is ugly as fack.

Yeah, it's the only one I could find that wasn't hilariously expensive (some of them were even more expensive than the mobo).

I've just done a little research and have seen some of the issues the B350 Plus is having. There has been a BIOS update released for it recently so hopefully that will deal with the problems some of the early-adopters were having.

Don't load those profiles at all and let the defaults kick in? Sounds like the set back was on your OC utility.

I need a good/cheap cooler for my I5-Haswell-

Currently using the stock one but the temps get really bad during hot days.

Nothing is coming out in Q3/Q4 except for maybe small Vega. But big Vega is coming within a month or two and fits that budget.

Volta probably won't come until Q2 2018

I had a lian li case that fucking cut me to ribbons way long ago.

You have an mATX motherboard.
Why not get a case like the Rosewill SRM-01 or Zalman T5?

I did not cut myself on my Corsair 500R. I would not recommend it, though, as it doesn't have dust filters and it's not space efficient unless you need 20 standard size HDDs.

is a 250gb ssd really worth double the fucking price of a 1tb hard disk? I'm a normie gamer soon to be in college and I'm conflicted as I've already been jewed by ram prices this year.

Yes.

Get a 850 EVO for $90.

Availability. It's actually depressing how few cases there actually are, the T5 is nowhere to be found. Only Z1, Z3Plus and R1 are available.
Not to mention Rosewill, there are literally no Rosewill products anywhere here.

yeah its worth it

what are some good high end monitors to take advantage of my 1070 or 1080 nvidia card?

what 3200mhz ram is compatible with Gigabyte GA-AB350-GAMING 3 mobo?

looking for 2x8gb sticks. I've looked on the manufacturer website and I don't get the ram rankings thing in the support section.

4670k OC'd@ 4.4ghz
GTX 780 OC'd @ ~1250mhz
ASRock z87 extreme 4
Corsair Vengeance DDR3-??? 16GB
Samsung SSD 850 Evo 1TB
Corsair 750w Gold PSU

wat do /pcbg/?

i don't really want to do a full rebuild at the moment. my gtx 780 is obviously out dated especially in the memory department. can i just drop in a GTX 1070 and be good for another couple years?

games played:
arma 3
starcraft 2
dota 2
battlefield 1
titanfall 2
doom
etc
etc

I got 3k to spend on an entirely new rig and monitor. What's your dream build?

build ryzen 1800x + 1080ti with a 4k screen
that's like 2900$

name me some fucking good monitors

idk get some 4k60fps recommended monitor thats like 600$

DIE

later

lg 27UD68 if you dont mind using windows scaling, the best 40in chinese one you can find under 600 otherwise

I would just upgrade to a 1070 or 980ti. you can find the 980ti used on ebay for 300 pretty often now, lower if you're good with sniping

The best current monitor is ASUS PG279Q

RX570 and 4790k. Sell your 4670k to some schmuck.

Why is AMD shilling so bad here lately. Why would anyone choose a Ryzen 1600 over an unlocked i5 or i7?

New architecture = shills gonna shill.
i5-7600k beats out ryzen 1600 in the majority of games, due to superior single core threading being the main build for most big PC titles.
The one true argument they have is the 'future proofing' one. an i5-7600k build has no room to upgrade, as intel comes out with 6+ core processors for average users, it'll use a different chipset. So realistically Ryzen will get better as more games are developed to take advantage of mutli core processing / more cores in general. That and the cost of a Ryzen 1600 which comes with it's own heatsink makes it competitive in terms of price/what you get.

their arguments will be

1. more cores for multitasking
2. not intel

i think the real mindset is that intel has had a monopoly over the market for a while, which has caused them to get lazy with their new architectures and greedy with others (6900k for example) and people like that AMD are undercutting them by a wide margin. I can't disagree, it is nice to see competition because competition benefits the consumer.

Buy Ryzen, spur competition. Buy Intel, compliment laziness.

Fucking this. Every time I had to open my old ass computer case I never came out unscathed.