Name one reason why R sucks

name one reason why R sucks
> protip: you can't

Fuck you.

well memed m8 lol

(((((programming))))) language where basic branching has massive performance hit

It's not numpy

The idioms are a little "different" compared to modern languages. I have to re-run the swirl tutorials every time I haven't used R in a few months to remind myself how to do things the "R way". After learning Bash you can definitely see the UNIX influences on common R commands (paste, cut, source, ls, rm, grep, etc.)

It's one of the tools we use for prototyping data analytics/algorithms and its great. I prefer it to Python actually.
But it is basically built for and by statisticians. It's probably a bad language for any other purpose.

S L O W
L O W
O W
W

I use it to make graphs for management with datasets that make localc/Excel etc shit the bed

It's a bit idiosyncratic, but gets the job done

There is basically no reason to use it now thanks to the Python libraries for stats.

R fails when your dataset is larger than your RAM (unless you use something like microsofts R server) or when you need multi threading. Apart from those two limitations it's pretty good for analytics. PowerBI is cool too (I love dashboards).

2GB mem limit

cant-vectorize-fag detected

32-bit fag detected

IDK I havent used R for the past 3 years or so, do they have a 64bit version now?

It's not Fortran.

Pretty much this. For statisticians by statisticians. And it does that job pretty damn well.

Most good and bad points have been mentioned. One thing to add is that there are better and more consistent alternatives to much of the stuff in base. This is often confusing. Also packages vary widely on quality.

I work with larger data, and without data.table I couldn't get anything done, that is how shit base is.

Would anybody here recommend dplyr over over data.table?

It's bloated

not Julia

I love R. The only downsides I can think of are
It takes a while to figure out how to program stuff without using a for loop for everything
The base-syntax is not very intuitive. I hate that I didn't discover dplyr a few years earlier.

>default parameters in between required arguments are allowed

who thought this was a good idea?

Not him, but when i did the coursera courses I found it to be unreasonably slow at loading data from many files. Probably I wasn't good enough to figure out how to do it "the R way".

Nope. R can be very slow even with vectorization.

I don't really know it, but I worked a contract at a huge pharmaceutical company where they were doing protein modeling to find new drugs on a huge AWS cluster (like 2500 nodes) and R was involved.

R as in Rust?

Sorry I'm new here

No R the language called "R"

gotcha, thanks newfriend