Programming

Did any of you fellow programmers just get into it in college? Im in my freshman year of CS and I feel behind compared to these computer gods(relatively speaking). I started to code in my freetime. How long till I catch up? SHare personal experience.

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/
blog.codinghorror.com/separating-programming-sheep-from-non-programming-goats/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Interested too

>catch up

you can't catch up to autism, user.

This. OP has severely underestimated the magic that is autism. Those other nerds have only used 10 percent of their power. It's nothing personnel.

reddit.com/

SO, if i was to cut off all social ties I would eventually catch up?! Any advice for gaining temporary autism?!?!!?

Most of these guys are doing so much better than you because they have experience that's directly related to programming. Once you get to higher-level math and theoretical stuff, everyone will be on a roughly similar playing field.

I started out top of my class because I had been programming since I was 12, but by the end of the curriculum the advantage I had wasn't nearly as obvious. CS is not just programming.

From 11 to 15~16 years of age I smashed out HTML, CSS, and JavaScript;
then moved on to SASS when I was making a google materialistic design clone.

Working on some C++ stuff atm - school project is Visual Basic (which is shit).

I live in Australia - and not too many people give a fuck about code; so there's my motivation for trying to build a google design clone, I could potentially start a business where I live - web design though.

But I know my concepts in and out - I just wish there were more kawaii coding desus where I live atm

Start from the top (high level programming) which is generally easy - and go as close to the machine as you can, C, C++, Java - and basically Assembler if you're that ballsy.

>?!?!!?

looks like you already have it my friend :^)

Nothing personal desu - you're way out of your league.
But I wish you luck.

blog.codinghorror.com/separating-programming-sheep-from-non-programming-goats/

>between 30% and 60% of every university computer science department's intake fail the first programming course

It doesn't matter when you start learning, it just depends on if you can make the cut.

Try to optimize your life. Hanging out with friends doesn't make you worth more money as opened to learning / building upon a skill.
Why walk places. If you run you will have extra free time to do stuff.
Every so often to reduce the stress you can take a break for Sup Forums / anime.

Ill starting sprinting everywhere now! It will also take away the distraction of girls because i will smell like shit after running! Two birds!

'First programming course' fuck off desu anyone can program - they just need time to learn it, also for OP desu - these kids you're facing mostly program because they love it - do what you love because some kid might be staying up to 1 am to compile his next program.

Reason why I hate my pure math friends - they love math, and frankly I love code - they won't beat me but I wont beat them.
Also ^this desu has the right idea - happened to me once, but you just have to accept that programming is logical - just like maths.

Hell, learning about functions in maths was easy when I was young - because you learn functions at a young age in programming.

Like I said - nothing personal desu BUT the best thing you could do is let them help you, if they are fantastic at it - they will show you their ways.

>anyone can program

but not everyone should, and that's the problem.

Just read a book or 2 and you'll probably catch up.
A book on the language you're using and then another of programming structures. For example, one on data structures, algorithms or just one about code in an area that interests you.

As for gaining temporary autism, the defining trait of the auts that you're looking to need is obsession. Autists get obsessed with things and then master them.
Again, find an area of coding that interests you.
For example, I found a book on game hacking because I was interested in the low level goings on when it came to reverse engineering a game to be able to create an autonomous bot.
This way, I've started to learn bits about assembler and how to debug binaries to follow what's going on.

Once you've found that obsession, you'll feel the temporary autism. Just don't force it, let the autism flow naturally.

I concur - you can literally apply programming to any field. Look around - programming by itself does jack all - start introducing things like maths and art etc and look at that....

I had never touched coding before my first intro to CS class and I loved it so much I decided to fall for the CS meme. There will always be someone who can do something you can't. Dont worry about catching up, just try to learn and gain experiance every day. And enjoy freshman year, you're gonna miss it.

>Again, find an area of coding that interests you.

This. I learned python by being really interested in making basic animations in Vpython.

Just start writing projects, you'll pick it up eventually.

I was so good I dropped out of college after one semester and am now getting paid 135k/year in a non-SV startup.

I have 2.5 years of experience.

>there will always be someone who can do something you can't
Also this. If you spend your time comparing yourself to everyone in your class, you're going to get super demoralised.
Just compare yourself now to where you want to be. Half of the time, you'll find what others can do that you can't is actually useless to you.