Reasons not to switch to GNU/Linux as main OS?

i've been running windows 10 as main OS for a long ass time and dualboot arch in a 32 GB partition

i play one game which is getting ported to linux and I can watch all my chinese cartoons just fine on mpv

any important reasons not to just go balls deep and make arch main OS?

I would say there is no reason to keep using Windows if you don't need to run any exclusive software. With that said, you should just use whatever makes you comfortable.

no better make a useless post on Sup Forums

What game is it? Also no.

Your PC will probably have a Longer Life Span due to not using too many Ressources.

>Muh Privacy

It's a lot faster

You can have it look literally exactly how you want to

No ads or forced updating

you're such a fucking faggot. just do it and shut the fuck up.

Although Linux isn't exactly hard, there is a slight learning curve. People usually learn it because they either need it for something or out of curiosity. You'll learn a bit about how computers actually work and it has some better implementations of developer tools but for a lightweight user (Facebook machine/media center) imo it doesn't really offer any advantages.

I switched to Linux out of curiosity and because I genuinely like tweaking my system's appearance (nothing fancy). Although I like it and never looked back I can't think of any reason why anyone should switch.

GNU/Linux*

Linux is just the kernel.

and GNU is not always needed for the userland.
Inform yourself, shitspilling stallshill

And Linux isn't always needed as the kernel. Debian GNU/kFreeBSD is more familiar than Alpine Linux, even though the first removes all Linux and the second removes most GNU.

except this is a(n arch) linux (kernel) thread you sperg

There is simply no reason to make Linux a main desktop OS in current year. Use a VM if you need it. Linux desktop is a meme. It's complicated, slow, most programs suck, no games, pointless competition of distros, programs, des (all of them shit), bad hardware support.

Salutations, Microsoft!

Arch is more of a stop-gap to installing Gentoo

kys you stupid communist piece of pig shit.

it's also free

Please start with something like noobuntu unless you plan to take a week or two without using your computer (or tinkering in a VM) to get acquainted with the command line and the way package management and configuration works.
Really, just start with something which allows you to plug in a USB, click a few menus, wait at most 30 mins, and gives you an interface you'd be mostly familiar with.

But no, there's no reason not to go balls-deep into linux. Just consider a dual-boot setup unless you want to be "that" guy at LAN parties who can't play because it needs to work on muh GNU and spends hours trying to get the damn game to work in WINE.

Only install arch if you are an advanced linux user. If not, yoy should install ubuntu, fedora or debian (don't try minimal or netinstall unless you know what you are doing). Honeslty, there's no reason not to switch to something else. Even if you didn't wanted to go on linux you should have preffered installing win7 over 10 LGBT

Not really, if you're not doing anything that requires software that runs only on windows, your pretty much golden.

Throw Manjaro on there. All the benefits of arch, with added stability, user friendliness, and a non-fucktarded install process.

do NOT install fedora. not a single package will install properly on it. not even firefox nightly.

Werks on my machineā„¢

By its very nature it has extremely poor consistency in UI.
No icons in the file-picker.
In general far less comfy because you have to configure for hours to get basic functionality.
Dev tools have parity on Win/Mac/Linux
You can't really have it look exactly how you want to, you eventually get tired of trying to make it how you imagined and shoehorn yourself into what you made it.
user's riced out anime viewer looks great in stills, but if you were to watch a video of it you would quickly realize it's pretty shit.
File structure in Linux is an abomination.
GTK+/QT both look terrible, even with theming
X
Graphics drivers are open source (awful)
GPU-passthrough is a meme

Even better. There's an ArchBSD project that replaces Linux, but nothing that does that to GNU.

>By its very nature it has extremely poor consistency in UI.
It's because the Linux guru use CLI, but I agree.
>No icons in the file-picker.
trolling
>In general far less comfy because you have to configure for hours to get basic functionality.
No.
>Dev tools have parity on Win/Mac/Linux
Making a portable C project on win is awful.
>You can't really have it look exactly how you want to, you eventually get tired of trying to make it how you imagined and shoehorn yourself into what you made it.
Yes.
>user's riced out anime viewer looks great in stills, but if you were to watch a video of it you would quickly realize it's pretty shit.
All the reader are the same.
>File structure in Linux is an abomination.
I agree, but it's fucking worse everywhere els,e except maybe OpenBSD>
>GTK+/QT both look terrible, even with theming
not CLI
>X
It works
>Graphics drivers are open source (awful)
definitively trolling
>GPU-passthrough is a meme
GPU? Who cares? PCvck Gamers...

People will disagree, but I think Linux is just a niche OS. It's good for embedded, servers, and for people who think customizing their desktop is fun. Windows is simpler, it supports everything and the whole world pretty much uses it.

Try Antergos

Linux has poor integration on the desktop. Even Chrome OS is more intuitive and functional than any regular Linux distro. If you want a functional UNIX system on your PC, go with macOS. Linux is not ready for the desktop yet (and probably never).

This freetard shit is awful as fuck. Source: using freetard shit right now and it literally does not even support integrated graphics on Skylake nor does it support the mobile nvidia card in this machine. I'm u

Go back to the slaves OS please.

also there is no way to turn off the LEDs on my laptop and it's hard to sleep because of all the lights

there exist the possibility that OP isn't a faggot
In that case OSX isn't worth it.

>there exist the possibility that OP isn't a faggot
shit you see posted on the Sup Forums Sup Forums board...

Every time I boot on my linux partition I ask myself what I'm doing there and reboot back to windows to do mostly stuff that I could be doing on linux

Gamer? Photoshop?

Shitposting and IRC. With some blizzard shit games once in a while

I also like Visual Studio

Buy a console, it's the designed support for gaming. PC are for coding and shitposting Sup Forums.

POO

I'm also too afraid to use a real distro because I don't want to deal with optimus bs

> Games
> Visual Studio
> Photoshop

I can do everything I want from Linux by running it under a VM inside my Windows. The other way isn't true.
Also
>Worst driver support ever
/thread

> Arch is more of a stop-gap to installing Gentoo
this

>using backdoored hardware
nice one user