/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux
github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube
bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=771708
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

/wg/'s GNU/Linux Wallpapers:

So after a few months of deliberating, checking requirements and using a live operating system to make sure everything was water tight I've not successfully moved to lubuntu.

I genuinely didn't realise how much simpler installing something from the terminal is, or how fucking easy everything would be, thanks guys. You're alright anons.

>I've not successfully moved to lubuntu
Typo? Why not?

if you read his post, it's a typo

thoughts on fedora?

remember
try more extreme autisms when you want to, because you want to, not just because the ones who've already done so say its the best.
ultimately theres nothing wrong with using linux mostly like you'd use windows, without tweaking and ricing, if thats what you want, too.

Doing my first ever install of a distro and I went with debian.
Now I'm posed with the question of which desktop environment to pick, any suggestions?

GNU/Linux*

>shit font rendering

>his
There is nor harm in asking.

KDE if you want filepicker thumbnails.

CS student looking to get into linux. What distro to start with?

Thank you for your correction. I actually intended to just say gnu.

It's ok.
Did you try to change it?

>thinking font rendering depends on the distro
lmao

I have a really autistic question and I'm too lazy to test it myself.
Can I install a distro to a usb drive, install grub there and boot it without fucking the bootloader on my pc and other random shit that could happen?

I like xfce. It's easy to configure, you can change anything and it's lightweight, but the default config is kinda ugly.

GTK filepicker has a preview pane. its still shit compared to KDEs filepicker though. KDE's has thumbnails and you can resize the preview pane to see the image however big you want to. It also looks and acts more like a normal file manager.

install ubunut

Arch adn LSF are very good to learn the internals. But I suggest you use them in a VM.
Debian and Fedora are entirely free-software and pretty good for desktops.

Do a netinstall a test them all. Or just xfce because it's the best without going too autistic

>Fedora
>entirely free-software
pick one

Yes.

it does you fucking retard
different distros have different default settings

Trying to make mpsyt + mpv look decently on i3, thoughts?

Thanks for the answers lads.

>choosing a distro based the default settings

It only allows some non free firmwares but they don't even come installed by default.

retard
just change the fonts

Redpill me on the relationships between the NSA, Red Hat, RHEL and Fedora.

NSA made SELinux(free software) and RH uses it by default.
Basically memes.

red hat is a company with ties to many gubbermints, projects like selinux are developed by red hat and the nsa

fedora is a community distribution of gnu+linux with support from red hat. it gets the newest red hat software (rawhide), which later goes into rhel, a commercial distribution (with tech support)

Anyone having trouble building mpv?
It usually takes care of itself if I wait, but I might as well ask in case someone more savvy knows.
../video/decode/vd_lavc.c: In function ‘init_avctx’:
../video/decode/vd_lavc.c:595:22: error: ‘AVCodecContext {aka struct AVCodecContext}’ has no member named ‘hw_device_ctx’; did you mean ‘hw_frames_ctx’?
avctx->hw_device_ctx = av_buffer_ref(ctx->hwdec_dev->av_device_ref);
^~

Waf: Leaving directory `/home/user/mpv/build'
Build failed
-> task in 'objects' failed (exit status 1):
{task 140166340852624: c vd_lavc.c -> vd_lavc.c.14.o}

Is SELinux good software or should it be avoided?

More importantly, why some videos aren't listed but work with the URLs? They're not hidden

It's very very good but it's also very complex. On fedora and rhel it should just werks™

It's good if you can figure it out. Some tinfoil Alex Jones types who think we faked the moon landing also think SELinux is botnet.

Just set it to permissive and you'll be fine.

try an older commit?

Is it worth installing arch on my laptop or should I just go the lazy way with a ubuntu flavor?

If you have the time Arch can be very instructive. If not I recommend Debian or Fedora because free-software.

If you choose Arch, consider Parabola, ita an Arch remix that contain only free software.

What are some cool terminal commands?

nice try

Why do people say arch helps you learn?

because it holds your hand when installing something thanks to the aur

Because it's easy to install and requires little human interaction to be maintained, and it's also systemd™ certified.

The "find"command, my man. It can do some wicked stuff. Study its man page, and be enlightened.

Because you have to read the wiki to do anything which is very well written and broad.
I never used Arch btw, just the wiki.

Search for 'memes' in all files in the current directory.

find . -type f -exec grep -nH -e "memes" {} +

When you need a short beep.
(seq 99 | aplay -q &)
Stuffing stuff into aplay is always fun and the possibilities are endless.

Listen to yor ram: sudo cat /dev/mem | aplay -q

grep -r memes *

Honestly, I got a boner when I managed to connect to a wireless network on a terminal during the installation

When out of arguments.
curl -s randominsults.net | sed -n '//{s;^.*\(.*\).*$;\1;p}'

You are down to earth, but not quite far down enough.

Go ahead, tell them everything you know. It'll only take 10 seconds.

You should learn from your parents mistakes - try using some birth control.

For NixOS

are the hashes used to basically say:
"If you don't produce this exact hash from your current runtime environment then you won't even be able to locate this program"
Basically meaning that it's a way to guarantee you're using the same environment every time you run something or it fails?

Or do you just execute a program and the hashes somehow allow the program to locate exact versions of every dependency it needs?

>tfw to intelligent to successfully install archlinux

Thats no different than any other distro. If you do things yourself, you'll need to read the documentation. The archwiki is good for that but you dont need arch for it.
But thats the same as any other distro you install manually.

what are some lesser known but interesting wms?

try arch-anywhere

Is there a distro that has package management like Slackware but where I don't have to install literally the entire innernette on my computer?

The Arch wiki is made specifically for arch and arch is made specifically to be build like that.

The learning curve will be much smoother if you are not trying to adapt the arch wiki to, say, debian.

> you'll need to read the documentation
There is no other distro with documentation as good as arch's. The second bests are ubuntu/rhel and they don't even come close.

>package management like Slackware
none?

Did you try to not select everything in the installer?

FreeBSD would probably be what you want but it's not gnu linux.

It now works.

I installed debian xfce, it's working fine but there's a problem with the resolution. I can't change either the aspect ratio or the resolution, and the display is showing up as "unknown display" for some reason. Any of you guys know what I should do from here? Still new to this whole linux thing.

I'm using a laptop by the way.

what is the best frontend for mpv?
>inb4 just use mpv
i would but I'm that guy who loves to change lots of settings while watching

I just wanna say that Gnome finally has built in redshift/f.lux

Post output of lspci.

Tip:
Check the whiskers-menu, the murrine-gtk-themes and the faenza icon set.

What is this and is this good?

It tints your screen orange at night so you aren't kept awake by the screen as much or something

I don't have a computer. I have a Macintosh.

DELET

ohh sounds useful

>arch is made specifically to be build like that.
no, thats complete bullshit and you know it. Unless you're talking out your ass because you've never installed any distro like that except arch. Debian is the same shit if you use a netinst, for example.
You also know arch's docs are mostly applicable to any other distro, too.
You're also ignoring the gentoo wiki, which is where alot of archwiki was taken from.

why I can't just install anything on any distro?
why I can't do it?
why? why?

because you're too stupid

>no, thats complete bullshit and you know it.
It is. wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Linux

>Unless you're talking out your ass because you've never installed any distro like that except arch.
I'm not an Arch user.

>Debian is the same shit if you use a netinst, for example.
It's not. Netinst is not made to build a complex system upon. It's made for people that only need a basic set of software. Such as most servers.

>You also know arch's docs are mostly applicable to any other distro, too.
As long as the other distro has somewhat the same packages, versions of the packages and the same package structure/nomenclature.

>You're also ignoring the gentoo wiki, which is where alot of archwiki was taken from.
Gentoo wiki is pretty good and I did forget about it. But it's not even close to Arch's.

You can.

Antergos

Again, bullshit
None of these things being "specifically made for x" matter. Make an actual argument about the practical reality of whatever you're talking about if you're going to say its better for something. Don't appeal to some vague notion of it 'being specifically designed to work with [whatever]' with no further explanation.
Debians normal install is a complex system. Debian stable is literally the same fucking system, just with only the barebones. Debian netinst is exactly the fucking same as arch, gentoo, void, etc in regards to the DIY start with a minimal syystem and set up your own enviornment shit. In my experience with all of those afformentioned distros, at least.
As well, I've only ever rarely had problems with archwikis documentation using void or debian. Most of the time its just as applicable. The hypothetical notion that there could potentially end up being incompatability if it used a different software version or shipped a different configuration never fucking manifested.

ok buddy

Are there any tablets that can run linux? All the ones I've seen have several important features that don't work, also need it to have a sim card slot/3g

>debian stable
debian netinst*

I dont hate arch by the way. Ive used and liked it too. But literally nothing about it makes it "good for learning" compared to any other 'diy' distro, and when people constantly say 'arch helps you learn' it seems like they think those are features of arch, not just features of minimal distributions/minimal installations. Its like fucking calling Ubuntu "Linux," as though there were no other distros and you didnt need to be any more specific.

Not an argument.
My ugee tablet works well with the latest kernel. Though on debian or arch I had to install the digimend kernel drivers. Just werks on void though.

I meant portable tablet not drawing tablet, sorry user

faggots, install mps-youtube
this shit is amazing
github.com/mps-youtube/mps-youtube

guys, how do you deal with firefox now dopping gtk2?

the fucking filechooser is even more shit than the one in gtk2. there are black flashes whenever any dialog opens bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=771708 and those fucking piece of shit cocksuckers refuse to fix this. gnome is such a pile of dogshit, i just with i had qt5 firefox. anyone else having problems with gtk3 firefox here?

time to find a different browser?

Do any anons know what alsa-plugins-ffmpeg and gst-libav(gstreamer-libav) are needed for?

>anyone else having problems with gtk3 firefox here?
I was until I downgraded just to get gtk2 back. The filepicker is unbelievable shit. I couldn't stand the fact that it automatically initiates an actual search instead of just jumping down the first file beginning with the letter you typed

This sort of shit easily falls into the category of development decisions that really make me question whether the people developing the software even use their own shit or not.
I bet these fags are all running macs or something

weeb pls go

is this leterally it? switch to chrome or stay on firefox 52(that STILL doesn't even have video acceleration on linux). jesus fuck some open source is just such fucking garbage. literal dog shit. i would literally castrate every gtk faggot myself. this shit is giving me an aneurysm.

why the fuck are linux such trash in desktop department? i don't want any of the gnome shit, i just want a gui kit and acceleration. why is the fucking xorg still having tearing? can't i just have a desktop without tearing? it wasn't an issule back in windows 2000 for fuck's sake. why do they need wayland(that STILL DOESN'T WORK properly) to fix this simple fucking issue of vsync?

i have my programs that i use on linux, but desktop infrastructure that supports them is pure shit.

>chrome
enjoy your botnet

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

GNU/Linux*

Anime website.

this looks awesome! ^_^