Still use my i5 2500k

>still use my i5 2500k
>bought it in 2011
>still have no reason to overclock it

Did I fall for the K meme?

Something like that. Yes.

2600k here, so old and overclocked at 4.8ghz since the start, I think the thermal paste is crusted up in the heat sink cause it 's just started to fail and had to lower my clocks to 4.5ghz

>spent hard-earned wagecuck money on the k version
>"oy vey goyim you need our special $39.99 heatsink/cooler to use the overclock feature!"

I dont get it, is this graph just saying buy a graphics card from the same year as your cpu? How does that make an argument?

No, it points out that having more cores was a better decision for the longevity of your system.
Still isn't fully matured either. Expect that performance gap to widen considerably in the next year or two.

I got a kick ass GPU and spent the rest on the monitor so I'm laughing about spending a grand for a new motherboard/ram/cpu mobo. Got a 1tb ssd for my steam games, far before a new mobo, lol

I don't know about you, but I buy processors for how they perform on the day I buy them and a few years later. It took 5 fucking years for the more cores meme to catch on. 2500k buyers enjoyed better performance for 5 years. I don't think that's a bad value by any measure.

>didn't get memed into buying a 6600k
>saved like $40 and got a 6500 which has no practical difference since most games are CPU bound

So my it is gonna be good for another 2 years?

Can Win7 run on newer CPUs?

I have an i5 2320 and a gtx 660

Idk which to upgrade first. I kind of want a 1080 just to be good for the next 10 years

>Can Win7 run on newer CPUs?
Up until a certain update. But the updates are mostly crap.
t. unupdated win 7 no key.
>So my it is gonna be good for another 2 years?
For a 2500, don't keep your hopes up. Something multithreaded is bound to come out that will kick its arse.
8350 will have better prospects. But also has more use post gaming life as a server. The 2500 goes into the trash.

You'll be set at 1080p forever with an i5 or Ryzen 5 and an rx 580 or gtx 1060. Hell, a 1050ti or an rx 570 would work as well.

Is my 6 year old CPU enough to handle a 1080 though?

CPU. The 1060/580's are still new, so they'll come down in price later.
Try to find a secondhand CPU to throw in what board you've got. That way you can upgrade the GPU sooner.
If you do decide on new parts, aim for a Ryzen 1600 (six core).
There's a thread for all this talk too.

I upgrade my 3770k to a 7700 and there's practically no difference, maybe a 10-15% difference in benchmarks but otherwise not worth it.

You'll notice going from an i5 to an i7 but that's about it. Or if you do some crazy CPU intensive shit like running 4+ virtual machines.

I don't think so.

A Pentium can handle a 1080. And will get better frames than any other card paired with it.
Just that a better CPU will squeeze more frames out of it.
Stop being so paranoid about the bottleneck shit.

I doubt he's made of money, a 1080 is overkill and a waste of money, especially at 1080p with a several year old i5.

it will work but the bottleneck will be insane.
I have a 3570 and a mere 1060 is bottlenecked by it.

I OC'ed mine to 4.6 GHz a few years ago. I had two GTX670s and they were only going to ~60% usage in TW3. After the OC they both sat at 95%

This, a 3550 @ 4ghz is just enough for a 390x if I treat it like a console. It benches pretty close to a 2500k at 4.5. You are going to waste money and have to lower cpu heavy settings anyways. You need a 3770 or a xeon 1230v2< to get anywhere near saturating a 1080 on a locked 1155. Get a 570/80 or a 1060 and put that extra money towards some ddr4 parts.

daym u got a good chip mine maxed out at 4.5