What happened to tablets?

What happened to tablets?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=DfrD-eCtT94
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

They used to be stone. Now they're not.

android never released apps for tablets. Apple is literally going backwards with their "new" iPad (2017)

Everyone who wanted one already has one.

phone >5 inches came at 2011 and tablets are killed except those who really want it

No need for upgrades

I'm using one

They got x86 processors, that's all.

This. It's actually a problem for the industry. People still use tablets from 3 or 4 years ago simply because the hardware is good enough for their normal use. Most people simply don't need to upgrade.

They got made obsolete

Do u bing bing wahoo on the bus with it?

not yet, but I just bought a screen protector :)

Tablet posting in the bath right now

I know ;)

If you buy a cheap tablet, then you well get terrible specs that is only usable for browsing youtube and facebook and if you spend more than $300 dollars, then you might as well buy a laptop as it will have better specs and more versatility.

I bought a $100 tablet and my old $100 phone has better specs that it. Seriously, never buy a tablet with 1gb of ram.

>too big to carry everywhere
>not big enough or powerful enough to do real work

literally the netbooks of the current decade

Back the fuck off?!?

The only one not droping in sales numbers is the surface. And it is still growing.

I liked my SP3 until I stepped on it.

Android is chink-level garbage

They're too big to be perfectly portable, and too small to replace a laptop, so they found their niche market and faded out of the mainstream.

People realised the only thing they're useful for is reading PDFs and browsing the web
Too big for a phone's job, too small for a Laptop's job

they replaced netbooks and ultrabooks replaced tablets.

Surface found a happy medium.

Surface already dropping because now every PC manufacturers have at least 3 Surface clones each.

Chromebooks ftw

Surface Pro happened, and made ARM tablets irrelevant.

but muh battery life

Oh shit, is that some Birth of the Federation?

that piece of shit is the biggest downgrade a tablet can get and don't forget we are talking about tablets here.

Tablet are a failure becuase there's no benfits over smartphones besides screensize. And even then you're relying on mobile apps designed for phones, hoping the developer implemented a good tablet UI. You buy a flagship, then you buy a $400 tablet and realize your phone is faster, has a better camera, higher resolution, better sound quality.

And intel tablets are shit because they run windows. Wait until wayland takes over and gnome keeps evolving for touch input. Cannonical will sell tablets and take over.

also

am an android dev. Android framework doesn't provide a way to specify UI element size and position relative to screensize. You either specify in relation to other elements, or relative to DPI. And well over 50% of android devs don't know shit about creating effective android layouts. So when an app has no designated tablet UI, the phone layout is ALWAYS garantueed to look like shit on tablets.

The new iPad isn't a step backwards. It's a step toward affordability. It's got the cheapest launch price of any 9.7" iPad in the history of the product line by $70. Not so much compromise that it isn't worth it, either: the screen is slightly worse, and the body is slightly thicker, but otherwise, it's as good as an Air 2, which started at $400.

This is what actually happened. I work in Apple retail, and I see people bring in iPad 2/3/4's *daily*. They just don't die.

>too small

Speak for yourself, I'm using a 12.9" iPad Pro. It's awesome.

>no benefits over smartphones
>relying on mobile apps designed for phones, hoping the developer implemented a good tablet UI
>realize your phone is faster, has a better camera, higher resolution, better sound quality.

Maybe on Android. The iPad is boss as fuck.

>inb4 shill

I'm not saying these things because someone paid me. I'm saying these things because they're accurate to the best of my knowledge.

yes i've never owned an ipad or done iOS apps but a huge reason android tablets failed is fragmentation. Designing android layouts for a hundred different resolutions and screen sizes is complicated enough, and then they want you to redesign your entire layout for tablets. its just a mess.

must be nice for IOS devs. literally developing for a handful of devices.

Yeah, man, I owned both Nexus 7's, a Shield Tablet, and a Note Pro 12.2. It was god-awful. The worst part was that, in the Note Pro's case, the S Pen was poorly supported outside of Samdung's own baked-in apps, and their apps couldn't even export properly to Evernote. Complete let-down.

>must be nice for IOS devs.

It really, truly is. Basically every app that could benefit from the Apple Pencil, for instance -- except, oddly, Evernote -- has explicit support for it. It's god damn amazing. In no other ecosystem is a drawing/handwriting implement so well supported. Not Windows, not Samsung, nowhere.

I use a 64GB LTE iPad Air 2 and a $150 android phone. I spent that much on the tablet because they last long. I sold my previous one after 3 years just because I wanted LTE on my tablet, it would probably still be working ok if I'd kept it.

Tablets can be babied since they don't go in pockets, thus people use them for much longer than their smartphones. Thus: Much less need for new tablets.

Until planned obsolescence.

Like Windows Vista. The best meme to ever be released.

No, you idiot. There is no planned obsolescence for iPads. I regularly see people still using iPads from 5+ years ago, because they still fucking work.

If there really were such a nefarious planned-obsolescence conspiracy, why wouldn't Apple ratchet that policy into high gear when sales of iPads started to nosedive? Why did tablet sales go down?

This is literally what Steve Jobs positioned the iPad as when he first introduced it.

Reading PDFs, browsing the web, reading books, reading comics, watching videos, listening to music, taking notes, light word processing, drawing, remote file management, Microsoft Remote Desktop...

Yeah, totally useless. Who does *those* things?

I'm still using mine regularly. Reading mango, pdf, books on my tab s2 while lying on bed/sofa is maximum comfy.

I probably use my iPad mini 2 more than any other device. It's the perfect size and weight for just about everything aside heavy desktop work. I use it to browse (like right no), watch YouTube, read books, Anki, watch Chinese cartoons, etc. Best thing is it's small enough to fit in a pocket so it goes wherever I go.
I picked this thing up off eBay for 120 bucks and it's one of the best tech purchases I've made by far.

the mini 2 was great value at one point in time yeah

they were popping around for 100-300 everywhere (used or new, depending on configuration)

i still don't have one

iPads are resilient and because user requirements are so low they stay functional for years.

Surfaces seem popular, less so than iPads but I see a fair chunk. You'd see more if Microsoft would release another ten inch lower cost one rather than riding the Pro 4.

Everyone figured out Android tablets were nearly all awful. and phones cover most of the bases these and other small tablets did.

The bigness part of a tablet moved into PCs that have that 2 in 1 thing

The mobile part of it moved into phones.

>perfect size for reading comics/mango/watching chink cartoons on bed and playing VNs or some games qwith a controller grip

I could not live without my tablet, and it was just 150 shekels, x86 cherry ttail tablets are awesome and chep
And they will get even better with coffee

Tablets are perfect for browsing and watching videos on my lunch everyday at work.
Unfortunately I've had the same on for about 3 years now. And it's just functional as the day I got it.

But that's the problem isn't it? I love the damn thing but I just dont need a new one.

they became 2 in 1 devices to kill budget laptops

>Windows tablets became 2 in 1 meme that will eventually kill laptops
>Android tablets are dead because smartphones are already big enough

Lol bullshit no tablet can play breath of the wild HD remix without blowing their ass out after ten minutes fuck my iPad air 2 starts stressing after 30 minutes of temple run

shhh don't bring attention to the great deals on these and fantastic price/performance they offer

I use windows 10 tablet for previewing and basic editing photos in NEF format when I'm outside.
It does its job.

5-6" phones came out so people don't want them anymore, I still think 5.5" phones are small but a lot of people think theyre enormous.

Not to mention that theyre just not comfortable to hold

Useless technology.
>too big for transport and battery drains more quickly
>too weak specs compared to laptop
>android
>sucks for any purpose except for ebook reading

Don't know mine is ok op

Oh yeah also to add, no window management. So if you want to buy a cheap tablet to add a Bluetooth keyboard case with, youre pretty shit out of luck unless you get a Windows tablet because you'll be stuck using Android's fullscreen app system or whatever half baked OEM multi window the system has. It's garbage. Its basically just a giant phone.

As a secondary device, nobody feels the need to upgrade on a yearly basis like phones. So the market died because insatiable greed.

they gpd lost

they got windows and got useful

who would actually buy that?

Autists who fell for the UMPC meme and also more autists who literally cannot stop playing games

People who brought one back in the day still have them and have little to no REAL reason to upgrade, phones have gotten bigger and better, notebooks are thinner everyday, Android apps for tablets were never competitive given how good iPad apps were, etc etc
My dad still has his iPad 2 and it still serves him pretty well.

I have an x98 air 2, but it's kinda laggy when browsing and switching apps (image loading in clover is slow as balls).

Thinking about getting the new ipad 9.7.

Chromebooks made then obsolete

Android N has built in multi window support. Time to update your memes.

This, there's literally no reason to buy an Android tablet when 2 in 1 Chromebooks that can run Android apps exist, and iPad sales are declining every year because people don't have a need to upgrade because the ones they bought 2-3-4 years ago still run just fine

Is it floating though like a standard desktop environment, or do I have to open some half-baked menu off to the side and launch only (((compatible))) apps in it?

Android is shit

smartphones

>2 in 1 Chromebooks
such as

Nexus 9 with remixOS. It'll change your life

Does that really work well? I was going to try out SimpleROM since stock Nougat runs like shit but that seems more intriguing. I worry about performance though.

does peoples and compagnies still think that these shit are going to replace personals computer ?

pajeet pls

What's the general opinion here about the amazon fire tablets? They seem pretty cheap at first glance.

>there is no planned obsolescence for iPads

What about iOS updates that drop support for older iPads?

Do you think Microsoft is going to continue the Pro line? I want to go for a maxed out Pro 2 generations from now if they make it to a 6 since I've got the 4 with 8 gb of ram.

recently got a sp4.... love it ... but battery life is absolute garbage. barely reach 5 hours

youtube.com/watch?v=DfrD-eCtT94

You got to underclock the CPU and abuse passive cooling.

They're still a thing and are great, the only issue is that new computers can't be released with Windows 8

so set cpu to anything other than 100% on max... and put both cooling options on passive cooling ?
curious ...how much battery life you get percharge ?

It depends what I'm doing. I can get a bit around 7 if it's just movies and the Wi-Fi is off. Around 6 with web use. 5ish with me doing everything. It runs so cool too.

I'll post my cooling settings when I get home after this boring ass conference. You know you can unlock the GPU to run a bit better for those times when you've got a power source too right? It actually makes Overwatch playable in frameless mode.

no apps. no web browser - > not a tablet

It's still heavy as fuck for a """"tablet""""

yeah i feel like i havent really fucked with the settings properly to get muh battery life.... so far its been shit... thanks user

Tablet's a form factor, Switch qualifies. It doesn't even have a browser though? Jesus.

they're only truly useful for people who don't use smartphones.

and fpbp

Not really, I have a smartphone and find a tablet quite useful.

Tablet manufacturers are morons. I have a 10inch samsung tablet with OLED screen I watch videos on. I would like a new one with a modern SoC and more storage. No one makes anything to upgrade to.

Doesn't exist. Only android and it's useless because even now popular android apps only support portrait mode.

you work for apple retail, opinion discarded

They gave me an iPad at work and the only time I've used that useless crap is when I was still waiting for the components to arrive for my new desktop. Tablets killed netbooks but ultrabooks killed tablets. There is absolutely no reason to own a tablet now that ultrabooks are getting thinner, lighter and faster.

Let me know when I can pick up a brand new ultrabook for 200 dollars with a good screen.

Stop being poor

Tablets cannot replace the functionality of a proper pc, you had to buy one clunky ass laptop and a tablet for more mobile computing back then, now you can make do with just one ultrabook. That leaves you with $200 extra to buy one with 4k display instead of 1080p

Irrelevant. Tablets are not replaced by ultrabooks. Tablets have their niche as media consumption, social networking, and light productivity. Which is why they are cheap and over saturated.

Market saturated. Nobody is impressed by them anymore. Manufacturers stopped trying.

/thread