Is using a VPN with TOR a good idea?

Is using a VPN with TOR a good idea?

No

It doesn't matter what you use. All the backdoors are installed in the hardware.

Why?

Real tails docs. There's a reason tails warns you not to use a VPN with tor

Post here

What's that reason? I didn't see anything about it and I'd look it up, but I'm away from home and only have my phone.

it will put you on the fbi watchlist because you're obviously trying to hide something

i use a vpn all the time, even for simple browsing.

You should absolutely use it while using Tor, since your isp can see whenever you are using it.

Why are you using tor, scumbag?

No.
VPNs reduce your anonymity. They make the situation worse since they basically introduce either a permanent entry guard (if the VPN is set up before TOR) or a permanent exit node (if the VPN is accessed through TOR).
Using VPNs with TOR is a very very bad idea.

>since your isp can see whenever you are using it
so?
use obs4 bridges if you think them seeing is that big a deal.

The owner of silk road was using a VPN. In fact that was one of the key points in how he got caught.

For the fqree cheese pizza

>owner of silk road
dpr was doing like a hundred things wrong and basically asked to get caught. anyway, none of us are running a multimillion dollar drug site so whatever

>so whatever
so then you just proved using a VPN is a waste of money with tor

it's 'whatever' my dude

so basically if you use a vpn before tor it's only bad under the assumption that the vpn provider is compromised or keeps logs, correct? wouldn't you already be fucked by that point using your home ip if someone was trying to find out who you are?

For example? Where else did he fuck up? And how using both vpn and tor at the same time makes it easier for em to find you?

Unless someone has access to a backdoor, no.
VPNs are for privacy, not for anonymity. TOR sacrifices privacy for anonymity, everyone has the same IP, so it's hard to pinpoint a single user, VPNs facilitate this.

dude shut your god damn mouth

if you want 0.001Kb/s speeds

don't listen to him.

Maybe I don't want CSIS to know I visit Kikebart for the lulz

maybe if you have a shit ISP and even shittier VPN, Tor is pretty fast in the current year

Depends on who you trust more; your ISP or your VPN provider?

The potential I see in a VPN is that you can switch providers frequently, and buy access without having to put up much, if any, personal info. Of course the VPN will have the IP you connect from, but they're more likely to store purchasing information permanently than IP logs, plus you can further distance yourself by using things like open wifis home.

In the end, if you're going to be doing something that can result in a prison sentence, and you're asking for help on Sup Forums, then you've already fucked up and should reconsider what you're about to do.

I just want to buy a small quantity of some light drugs. That isn't a crime on my country so I'll probably be fine.

he used his alias on a forum with his real life email address. That was the last thing the FBI needed.

Read the post above you. Quoted the wrong poster, sorry

just downloading tor puts you on a watchlist

all i got from this post is that you watched a youtube vid and now consider yourself an expert

right, and that has jack shit to do with him using a vpn and tor

This

If you are hiding from corporations tracking you yeah it'll work, somewhat. But highly inconvenient. If you are hiding from the government just stop using the internet. There are chip level backdoors (intel ME being the most obvious one) which can see and report everything you do far below OS level

So then just user Tor to access the store you retard. Why worry about hiding yourseld if there won't be any retribution?

>he doesn't use a Thinkpad with libreboot

Still doesn't enable ME

I want to do this so bad but I don't have any PSUs and I realized that the materials I'd need to flash Libreboot would probably cost twice as much as the thinkpad.

bump