Who started the ram heat spreader meme?

who started the ram heat spreader meme?

Other urls found in this thread:

download.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/method10.pdf
youtu.be/w89d2Blhpvg
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_Buffered_DIMM
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

The people increasing the voltage to RAM.

>overclocking RAM
For what purpose?

Actually getting their Ryzen CPUs to function correctly

ECC RAM was hot as ballz

this
old ECC DDR2 use to hit housefire levels of heat, a heat spreader was a must
of course people liked heat spreaders because they looked cool and supposedly gave a performance increase (at the time they did fuck all) so regular consumers would buy them and stick them on their ram
manufacturers realized people wanted heat spreaders, people would pay more for them, so you got things like Corsairs XMS2 variants, which looked so much cooler than regular dimms, people wanted that shit in their case with the cut out plastic window

and so it went from there, gotta make it look cool, functionally cool doesnt matter

now really high clocked DDR4, yes it does matter, quite a lot, a heat spreader on 3800mhz DDR4 is a must, without one its gonna get fuckin toasty and while it will work, temp changes over time can fuck it up like anything soldered that gets a lot of heat
I personally like low profile heatsinks like Corsairs Vengeance LP DDR3 stiks, i dont like the tall ones, they look a bit "off"

>heat spreader meme
>meme
You don't think RAM get's hot?

DDR3 did.
Now that DDR4 barely cracks 1.5v it may not be necessary but everyone is too accustomed to how it was that they wouldn't accept how it should be.

I thought it was the other way around.

I think what made it standard was G.Skill selling the cheapest available DDR3 with a big dumb red heat spreader on it.

Modern ram running at standard speeds does not need any heat spreaders considering that even DDR3 1.5v has a hard time cracking 5w of power consumption.
I fucking wish RAM makers would just make some cheap decent ram forgoing the heatsink as all it does is make buying a CPU cooler hard

>I fucking wish RAM makers would just make some cheap decent ram
They won't. Samsung and Micron are colluding with eachother to raise prices since you can't not have RAM in your PC, and you need to have at least 8GB for most uses nowadays since programs aren't being made to be optimized with less memory.

It was started by Corsair on ddr1

I still run with 4gb on my entertainment computer.
I can watch Netflix and play games at the same time if I want to.
Removing memory leaks is not "optimized for less memory"

Ehh it might do something. I've had thousands of clients with bad ram, but only 2 or 3 of those had heatspreaders. But you know what really grinds my gears?

>plastic "heatspreaders"

Rambus did it first, I'm pretty sure.

this.

>all it does is make buying a CPU cooler hard
I have two DDR3 systems, a desktop and a server. Bought myself a massive heatsink for the desktop. When I opened the box I realized that it wouldn't fit because of the stupid tall "heatspreaders" on the RAM sticks. I considered ripping those off but to avoid that I swapped the modules in the desktop and the server - which had sane non-heatspreader RAM.

This "heatspreader" meme is just stupid. And I too suspect that the modules with them are the cheapest garbage that needs them because they run hotter than other RAM. Either that or it's just slammed on to look cool.

It started with this. Back in the day not everything could run at 400mhz let alone with any decent quantity of ram. OCZ binned chips and you had to crank up the voltage, and sometimes modify your board to take 3.3v directly to your RAM. The DFI Lanparty boards back in the day had a 3.3v pin and switch to run your ram up to 3.3v. Most stuff was around 3v at the most at the time, but obviously if you were looking for a record you needed more voltage.

As you can imagine this created a bit of heat. I'm pretty sure these were the first chips but it was a long time ago.

And you'd pair it with something like a DFI Lanparty Nf2 when it first came out. Those boards you had to mod. When the DFI Lanparty NF4 came out, it had a built in jumper and had additional power going straight to the board.

And here's the NF2. Man this takes me back.

Even before that there were the cacheless celeron 300as that could clock to 7-800mhz and wreck Pentiums, but you had to have ram that could keep up with it. No cheap hynix ram back then, only the good Samsung stuff.

this.

when you push 3600mhz 1.375v on ddr4, you definitely need a heatsink for it. otherwise enjoy housefires.

Nah corsair wasn't the first, they didn't get into the overclocking memory until later, they only offered regular sticks. OCZ was the first company to push highly overclocked RAM.

What good is a heat spreader? Spreading the heat around isn't going to cool the RAM, unless you're using the RAM to evenly cook pasta or something.

1)you spread the heat with the heatsink
2)maintain the airflow inside the case with fans
3)a case with good airflow cools the heatsink
4)go back to step 1

Is that a male's hand or a female's hand?

fap first, worry later

>cacheless celeron
>celeron 300as
Ummm no? You're thinking of Covington Celeron 266, with no L2.
>The only difference between a Celeron and a Pentium II is the lack of L2 cache on the CPU itself. What does L2 cache do? In business applications, a lot. But it games, not much. The Celeron 266 is generally locked at 4x multiplier. This means, if you can increase the bus speed to 100 MHz or so, the Celeron 266 will be running at 400 MHz. The best part is the CPU will not be too hot. The reason is because the L2 cache (primary source of heat in Pentium II processors)
Interdasting.
L2 lock mods when?

A heat spreader isn't a heatsink

pictured is standard DDR1-400
with heat spreader.

There has never been an overclocking fucking beast like old celerons

Because my cooler is a Fuma that decided to make the top half of my mobo it's own, I had to do something about my Ripjaws having a one goddamn inch heatspreader, while also ensuring they don't bake to death because of the timings/speed I'm pushing, so I bought a generic aluminum LP heatspreader kit, then lapped the exteriors and soldered some RAM heatsinks to each side, and it barely gets warm now in compared to G.SKILL's nightmarish spreaders

Slots 2A and 2B are blocked, but I only use 16GB anyway. Heatspreaders on RAM are built without meme coolers in mind and usually make you mount the fan higher in a way that fucks with airflow, and is generally their biggest crime

RDRAM

None of the faggots old enough to remember.

>RDRAM
Faggot. How much googling do you do in a day just like you can hoard it over people about your 'knowledge' of mysterious shit gone by.
Everyone called it DRAM. Vernacularly aswell

>googling

Nigga, I didnt even have internet back then. Magazines is what i get knowledge from.
If you read about DRAMs and history you know rambus and hynix and all these companies are big news.

I guess without google, people literally die in toilet these days.

Oh btw, the way you say DRAM you assume all DRAM is the same ? plus OP asked who started the ram heatspreader.

Your answer is DRAM, good fucking answer genius. No wonder third world countries are sucking your jobs dry.

>Nigga
Wow, such many years. Much mature.
And answer is Samsung. Rambus only made the module. Sure it forced the use of spreaders in a later production that had higher clocks. But they didn't sell them with it.
Now fuck back off to being a know it all 16 year old.

>biting own ass

If i told you samsung is just the manufacturer and intel's the one doing the design along with rambus for the module cover would you zanax yourself ?

Everyone can read words on pictures dummy. Next you'll tell me ford invented the wheel because there is a ford logo on it.

>Next you'll tell me ford invented the wheel because there is a ford logo on it.
Certainly has more citation than none.

download.intel.com/design/chipsets/applnots/method10.pdf

I can wait for you to refute.

You're too used to seeing ":^)"
Reread that post. Image included.

No, Chevy made the citation.

Well I'll be fucked.

Any time a money grabbing meme like this gets loose you can be pretty sure a Jew is behind it.

While heat spreaders might be a meme, they have the positive side effect of making the RAM easier to put in and out.

I've got some Kingston hyper x ram, after a month of being installed i open the pc to replace
a hdd only to find the spreaders sitting on the bottom of the case cooling fuck all. They are now in a drawer doing fuck all.

Spoken like a true masturbation addict homophile

I really like the design of the hyper fury X ram sticks or whatever they're called.

>DFI Lanparty Nf2

Man, those motherboards were the fucking shit. If you had one of those you were the coolest kid in town.
I fucking miss those times...

No shit you fucking idiot

To think that back when this was released, it was considered for extreme gamers who went completely overboard with the gaming gear. I mean, green connectors? Sweet jesus lock him up that man is going insane with this computer!

I am so thankful I got to be part of the "new" gaming/modding culture in the early 00's. I never should have thrown my home-modded case out...

Funny "RAID" font basically says "Don't trust me, you're going to lose your data quite soon".

I just hate that the world turned into this.

youtu.be/w89d2Blhpvg

its your hand he is stealing your pictures

I wish there was a source for working memory timings on Ryzen. Seems kinda hard to work with right now, unless you have out-of-box working memory for it.

>

Just don't buy Poozen you idiot

Uh user, what do you think heat sinks do?

Heat spreaders increase the surface area over which the heat flows, which helps keep the chips cooler.

>I have never overclocked anything in my life - the post

ECC Fully Buffered RAM lad, you should make that distintion.

ITT: Intel Shills.

RAM heatsinks really went off the rocker with FB-DIMMs. en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fully_Buffered_DIMM

It was a way to save on PCB trace routing and get even more ram in a DDR2 system by using a serial bus to communicate to the RAM (instead of a parallel bus). The SERDES burned so much power that it's literally impossible to touch (not to mention it had shit latency), and so FB-DIMM died with DDR2.

Yep just as I thought. Nobody else remembers that OCZ started it with their binned RAM. They are also the ones that first started selling RAM rated at speeds beyond what JEDEC was even supporting, like DDR500, DDR533, etc.

All it was was a group of guys binning ram chips.

Oh god, Rambus. Patent-trolling bastards. They set us back years with the shit they pulled with JEDEC.

I don't know how their shit ended up in the PS3 but it was one of the reasons that design was so awfully strange. Don't worry, we remember.

Corsair effectively made it popular, so they probably weren't the first, but they has an huge impact on the market

What? Corsair wasn't shit in the day, OCZ was the only game in town selling RAM far beyond the JEDEC standards. The only thing Corsair was, was a generic RAM company, they had no branding, no speciality. It wasn't until they copied OCZ's heat spreader design and went after the gaming market, did they make the name for themselves that they did.

Nobody used corsair in desktop or server builds as some sort of preference.

How much of Mathematics do I need to know before I start to learn Deep Learning?

I just started with Calculus 1. I'm planning to learn Linear Algebra after Calculus 3. I'm not sure how much of Statistics and Probability I need to learn.

Any advice?

The same guys that started the"Your car needs a radiator meme."

Who cares? I love 'em.

So much easier to install/swap out.

>the"Your car needs a radiator meme."

My car doesn't have a radiator.

It's too bad Intel CPUs don't benefit from it.

>My car doesn't have a radiator.
Or engine or wheels.
Rough neighborhood.

(((religious minority)))

overclockers like you

>overclock shit
>temp rises
>hey, heatsink helps reduce temps right
>lets put it on and see if it helps
>drops 1-2 degrees
>man I'm a genius, lets market this

YOU, YOU MORON

Hello, A.I.. You are lost.

>Heat spreaders increase the surface area over which the heat flows
Yeah, by what, 1%? You don't increase the surface area of a flat surface by slapping another flat surface onto it.

Even if it increased the surface area, it's still pretty useless without a fan to move air over it.

>your RAM doesn't a gun on it
>get shitty kdr

Step it up scrubs.

This was actually pretty good back in the day and after installed is low profile and you can't even see the meme gun along with being blacked out upon sticker removal.

>I don't know how their shit ended up in the PS3
Because console system needed super fast memory system, the XDR is the only one capable of doing it at the time. Same goes to the PS2 and some other consoles.

The way consoles requires such memory is because basically the system doesn't decompression like desktop or x86 does, so it's a type of "streaming" like youtube, instead of internet its the dvd/blu-ray. That's making things simple.

If not mistaken for "game" purposes the XDR is more favored compared to normal DRAM due to how the data is retrieved, but i might be wrong since things changed so much and there is nothing much other than the PS3 and some server networking cards uses the rambus tech.

I believe this post will cause Sup Forums or Sup Forums to sperg with new babies asking why aren't we using RDRAM or XDR because bla bla.

One word : Intel.

I had a nice p4 rambus board. Netburst + Rambus was a great combo

>Netburst + Rambus was a great combo
Sure, until you need to upgrade to 2gb rams you're gonna start forking premium.

But again, most RDRAM intel fags back then are dumb rich motherfuckers.

I always thought XDR just meshed better with the cell/ppc microarch