/pcbg/ - PC Building General

/pcbg/: Post your component list; rate other anons'; ask questions in general.

>Assemble your parts list with price comparisons & compatibility filter.
pcpartpicker.com

THEN state the PURPOSE of your PC & BUDGET. State COUNTRY if not USA.
List GAMES/SOFTWARE you use often. List resolution & hz if gaming.
Seeking build improvements? Clarify goal: lower price or improved specs?
ctrl+f to see if your question was answered already

>Information on how to assemble a PC, select components & more. (somewhat outdated)
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Build_a_PC

Currently worthwhile CPUs:
>G4560 for budget builds (i3 are only worthwhile for dwarf fortress & single-purpose emulator boxes
>i5 aren't worthwhile. Get Ryzen 5, drop down to G4560, or up to R7/i7
>R5 1400 is not worthwhile unless discounted
>i7-7700k is good but bad value. If over budget, an R5 is probably as good or better for you
>R7/Xeon for compute/multitask/mixed use. R5 1600 is budget.

Currently worthwhile GFX cards:
>RX570, RX480(if cheap & not blower), RX580, 1080, 1080TI
>RX570 is usually all you need for 1080p@60hz
>RX550 & RX560 are worth considering if you just need 6 monitor support for cheap and/or play low end shit
>1060 & 1070 are worth considering if you already have a Gsync monitor. 1050Ti is for mITX builds or if on sale at ~$100
>Nvidia GPU + Ryzen has issues in some specific games atm (Civ6, RoTR, Rocket League)
>Budget builds: consider integrated graphics over a card weaker than RX560
>May for Vega

General:
>No brand/model loyalty. Parametric filters on pcpartpicker can help
>Consider larger SSD-only for what you budget SSD+HDD combined. Add HDD later once needed
>NVMe aren't for faster OS boot. They're primarily for productivity as a scratch disk
>Stop fucking confusing any M.2 drive with NVMe. M.2 is a form factor
>mATX can often save cost as the board+case is usually cheaper
>1 DIMM is significantly slower than 2 DIMMs

Other urls found in this thread:

silentpcreview.com/article1367-page5.html
pcpartpicker.com/list/3mMZd6
pcpartpicker.com/list/6x3b6X
pcpartpicker.com/list/sCRJXH
pcpartpicker.com/list/
pcpartpicker.com/list/4BHhr7
pcpartpicker.com/list/qqKBHN
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sm4qJV
pcpartpicker.com/list/qHx6VY
au.pcpartpicker.com/list/nJV7BP
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Ryzen is a meme, wait for Raven Ridge.

Newbie here. Do I necessarily need a FreeSync monitor to go with the 1600 and RX 570? Does it make a significant difference? A monitor is the final thing I need, but it being FreeSync ups the price quite a bit.

Fellow Canadians, is it possible to get a decent 1080p IPS panel around $150-180?

Is there a functional difference between a 580 4gb and 570 is 1080p?
What if I upgrade to 1440p? I want to be able to play all my shit in Ultra.

i dont understand why your monitor needs to have Freesynch. I don't understand why you can't just limit the FPS in your games settings to match your refresh rate

>play all my shit in Ultra
>1440p
1080 is the one to get

I already have a 1080p monitor. Should I opt for the 570 or the 580 4gb?

you said you might upgrade to 1440p and want to run at ultra.

580 are the best 1080p value cards, 1070-1080 is best for 1440p and 4k at 30 frames

Alright, that's what I was curious about. I guess I'll opt for the 580 4gb and stick to 1080p then.

Is it possible to cool a 80W cpu with a tower cooler, but without the fan?
The cpu will be capped at 50%.

IPS? Probably not. You can get 1080p 75hz Freesync TNs for like $105-$115 in the US.

RX580 8GB can play most games maxed at 1440p 60fps. But there are some games like GR Wildlands and Dishonored 2 that are shittily optimized and you'll have to drop all the way down to medium to keep over 60fps.

Best 1080 gtx card? Looking to spend around $500. 520 max

Definitely at capped load
You could probably do it at full load too but you'd have to orient it so the hot air rises through the fins.
Basically it would depend a lot of what way your case is facing.

I want to fuck the GPU dragon

RX580 runs most games at highest settings at 1440p

Remember you don't really need AA at that resolution so you can save some frames from that.

silentpcreview.com/article1367-page5.html

Check out the "Passive Cooler Comparison: Thermal Rise" table to see how some tower heatsinks that are advertised as being capable of passive operation fare during an extended stress test.

It should be possible, but you'll want to buy a either a "passive" CPU heatsink tower or a dual tower heatsink, remove one of the fans, and explicitly set the middle fan (between the two tower heatsinks) to a static low PWM setting, like 20%, in the bios for near silent operation.

>Ultra
>1440p
>GTX 1080

Hah, for the next year maybe. Only do this if you plan on upgrading in 12 - 18 months.

If you're a more reasonable human being, you'll spend the extra 250 and buy a 1080 Ti. Then not need a new GPU for 2+ years

how much should i charge my friend for my used i5 3570k?

...which is literally just a less beefy Ryzen but with GPU cores strapped on to it instead. Are you stupid?

Look up ebay prices

find cheapest

reduce by 25, 50 or 75% depending on how close of friends.

pcpartpicker.com/list/3mMZd6
Is there a better ryzen build for ~$850

You need that iGPU so you can run loonix and GPU passthrough Windows.

a reach around

I'd say about $70-80 unless it was a turd then you should just sell it on ebay.

Depends on what you want to do with it but for pure gaming, no.

pcpartpicker.com/list/6x3b6X

r8

Is using stock cooling on a 1700 a mistake? I've heard it's not too bad.

pcpartpicker.com/list/sCRJXH

It's fine but you shouldn't OC
You can probably get a higher clock but you probably wont be able to reach the turbo clock on all cores without going up to 90 degrees and ryzen turbo is really quite effective.
OC'd 1800Xs usually have -worse- single core performance because OCing disables turbo.

Pretty much just a console and media streaming. On a 2500k and 7970. I need an upgrade and don't care about oc and benchmarks anymore.

Then that is a good build.

That RAM will probably be limited to 2666MHz.
The CMK 3000MHz corsair modules arent very good for ryzen. the CMK 3200MHz are and the CMD 3000MHz will work at 2933MHz too.

This is a cute comic, what is it?

Looks like something MSI has put toghether.
Apparently that dragon is some mascot based on their gaming logo

Is 3200MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB RAM compatible with a Gigabyte AM4 AX370 Gaming 5 Mobo? The supported memory list doesn't explicitly state it does but it supports virtually every modern Corsair kit it seems.

I did it reddit!

Please tell me if it's incompatible or anything, I don't care about games or anything. I'll use it for heavy software compilation and 4K normietube streaming

the fan on the CM hyper sucks
>buying antivirus
faggotry
>radeon rx550
>2GB
what the fuck are you doing
>8GB of RAM
get at least 16GB, the more RAM the better, especially if you go into photography and run photoshop/lightroom
also get an SSD to stick your software into, it's not only games that benefit from fast load times

>run loonix and GPU passthrough Windows
>LOOK MOM I POSTED IT AGAIN

Compatible and functional are 2 different things.
It's pretty unlikely for it to completely not work but If it's not on the compatibility list it almost definitely wont work at 3200MHz and 2933MHz is also unlikely.
If there's not a single version of that ram family in the compatibility lists of any of the AM4 motherboards then you have to start worrying about straight up unbootable RAM.

two riced desktops is better than one

wtf I love your setup now

Suggestions on how to improve this? pcpartpicker.com/list/ My budget is $900 and I'm saving for Vega if it turns out well. I'm a video editor/streamer/competitive fps gaymer.

Woops! Here is the link pcpartpicker.com/list/4BHhr7

Did you check to see if that RAM is compatible? You also still need a GPU because Ryzen is like a Xeon, no iGPU included.

could i run skyrim enb mods with an rx480?

What is the margin of difference between an RX 480 8GB and a RX 580 4GB? I'm ignorant when it comes to graphics cards and I don't really understand the scale of quality with different GB

Yes. Get 8GB MSI RX 480.

one has higher clock speed on slightly higher power draw while the other is lower clock
one has more RAM if you do a fuckton of modding/high res textures in your videogames

RX500 series happen to be rebrands of RX400 series, with _very_ minimal improvements. Getting an extra 4GB VRAM with the RX480 is a larger upgrade than anything small bundled with the RX580 release.

Ok thanks. So hypothetically a 4GB of either series would be alright if I don't care about ultra high settings? Sorry, it's my first build.

>slightly higher power draw
Lol

Now post the MSI and Gigabyte power draws.

RX 480 was meant to be a mainstream budget GPU, so yes.

>pcpartpicker.com/list/4BHhr7

pcpartpicker.com/list/qqKBHN

If you're going to wait for a GPU, you might as well benefit more from an intel 7700k. Also wish Ryzen builders would quit overspending for faster RAM and direct that money towards places where the money makes a bigger difference.

About to pull the trigger on my first build /pcbg/

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sm4qJV

I just tacked on a monitor too; is it alright for a 1080p setup?

>au.pcpartpicker.com/list/sm4qJV
Oz prices are so fucked.

i got the asus strix rx 480 for $180

>Remember you don't really need AA at that resolution so you can save some frames from that.
AA at the resolution still helps.
But you can inject SMAA into like any game, afaik. It's a lot faster than MSAA 4x shit.

>Asus
Better check the quality on the coolers.

I know, it breaks my heart but what can ya do

I couldn't find a decent review with a gigabyte one but I did find something.
If i were to put slightly in front of anything in your sentence it would be "higher clock speed" because damn the performance gains from this power draw are marginal as fuck.
Even the sapphire card with the 980ti tier TDP was only around 10% faster than a stock 480.

If you're looking to buy a laptop then sure, wait for Raven Ridge. But don't expect it anytime this year. AMD roadmap has that scheduled for Q4 which realistically means actual products Q1 2018. Until then it will continue to be nothing but Intel+NVidia laptops available. This annoys me as a GNU/Linux user since NVidia GPUs aren't an option. Honestly, though, the only reason to get a new laptop is that they are shifting to 1080p IPS as the standard (though they should just go 1440p or 4k already) which is a step up from that garbage 1366x768 TN standard that we've had for nearly a decade (why can a cheap Chinese tablet manufacturer make a laptop with a 3000x2000 pixel IPS screen, 8MP webcam and a garbage Atom Intel CPU but Lenovo can't make a laptop with a decent screen and a usable webcam when they charge ten times more?).

If you think that's bad you should see the shipping.
Same day shipping is a myth here and the only way you'll get next day shipping is if you order early in the morning and the sender is in the same city as you.
Also the prices would seem ridiculous to americans.

Ikr. That's my build and each fucking part is like $20 shipping. I tried my local shops but either they had nothing or were WAY more expensive again.

What's the best brand for the rx500s? I've seen people say both ASUS and gigabyte are junk.

You can definitively get a 1080p IPS for $150 in Canada because that's pretty close to what we have to pay for one in Europe. Make sure you look for a shop that's got the latest technology because the amount of cheap/affordable IPS monitors exploded Q1 2017. A monitor from say Q3 2016 that's been sitting in stock will have a price-tag of perhaps $220 while just-released ones will be more like $150. Also, Lenovo has some rather nice 1440p 24" IPS panels for $200 and 27" 1440p IPS panels at $300.

My advice? If you're going to buy a R5 1600 and a RX 570 then you should definitively buy a 27" 1440p IPS to go along with that. Think about it, you're paying a whole lot of money for a computer. Why wouldn't you spend enough to get a great picture out of it?

Oh one last little detail. You absolutely do not want to buy a TN panel, not in 2017. Those are no longer worth it and they aren't even cheaper than IPS panels anymore.

> Freesync
Nice to have, but you don't need it. If you're looking at two almost identical 27" 1440p IPS panels at the same price-point and one has freesync and the other doesn't then take the one with freesync. If the freesync one is $50 extra then don't bother.

Powercolor Red Devil and Sapphire Nitro+
MSI regressed, they had a good thing going only to fuck it up in the next release

yes/no. :) I use a Pure Rock 140W TDP cooler on a 65W CPU. It has a fan on it that's PWM controlled and rarely spinning.

The CPU is sitting between 36-40C without the fan 99% of the time. If I start something which taxes all the CPU cores at full load over time like ffmpeg video encoding then the temperature will go up above 50C after 15-20 minutes and then the fan kicks in. It's barely possible to hear it at about 900 RPM but it spins.

A lot of massive "big" cooler will do just fine without a fan most of the time but unless it's a really insanely huge one like the NoFan's then you'll probably want to have a mostly unused but connected fan. You can't expect to be able to do something like video encoding which puts full load on all CPU-cores for hours and hours with a passive heatsink. That's obviously not what you'll be doing most of the time but you need a fan for those rare occasions.

xfx seems to always be pretty solid and is rumored to have good customer service

I believe it is. Not sure how to check though. It's Samsung B-die

Is power supply corsair vs650 good for ryzen and rx 480?

Pulling the trigger on my first build amd need advice, especially on my mATX case+mobo combo. r8 but don't h8

pcpartpicker.com/list/qHx6VY

$215 for a 4GB RX580 is pretty meh. Just get a good RX570.
And get a bigger SSD.

Is an Intel Core i7 @ 3.6GHz decent for a CPU?

au.pcpartpicker.com/list/nJV7BP

quite expensive to get a low tier pc.

mobo is necessary for wifi+ bluetooth
hard drive is also necessary and barracuda 2016 is the best drive for longlivety

This is my first build so this might be an extremely retarded question:

Do I need to hook up both of my CPU and VGA cables from my power supply? And is the peripheral for the monitor? I'm an idiot. I'm well aware.

Just to let you know, it's on an MSI 350 tomahawk MB using a RYZEN 1700x processor.

>CPU cables
gpu caple to monitor, ignore mobo cables

>barracuda 2016 best drive for longevity
>basing that on 1 year of results
nah, i dont buy it. seagate has had problems before, and until i see 5+ years of good performance im not buying it
until then the tried and true hgst nas drives are still king in my book

In Canuckland I can get an RX570 4GB for $278
CAD or an RX480 8GB for $330 CAD.
What's the better option?

Anyone decide to build the $1500 computer put together by Tech Deals? I'm thinking about it. Including monitor and peripherals and OS it looks like its coming out to $2500. Might upgrade on the case because the one suggests is kind of ugly.

Asus strix

>basing that on 1 year of results
thats not how stress tests work, and also they have had 5+ years of good performance, it was like one drive that had a horrible failure rate that skewed there results. Also hgst has increased their failure rate after the western digital acquisition

I have literally no clue what you mean...

yeah literally noone knows what your talking about

I have decided on an RX 480 for my first build... do brands actually matter?

So I just bought an open box Z170 s off of newegg. I was expecting it to be missing some components but certainly not the I/O shield. Finally get it in the mail and it came with 4 sata cables and would you guess, no I/O shield. I called asus to confirm it still had the 5 year warranty if shits fucked and luckily it does. Asus said they only machine the exact amount of I/o shields as they have boards and basically told me to pack sand. I found one on ebay though. Turns out this guys has a shitton of I/Os in his listings along with other misc stuff. It shipped from within driving distance to the newegg DC. I'm betting this fuck takes the parts from openboxes and sells them on eBay.
/rant

>17 dollarydoos for a backplate

Literal rape.

anyone in australia want an i5 3570k + gtx 670 build? comes with h100 cooler. $300

I feel your pain. I got the MSI 350 tomahawk mobo and bought the cryorig H7 cooler. Well come to find out the H7 requires a special bracket for the AMD mobo. Contacted their customer service and it's obvious it's a ton of pajeet who barely know how to speak English by the way they typed. After proving my purchase they sent me a free bracket and said it would take 4-7 days. 8 days later and he hasn't shown up and I contact their CS again for a tracking number but their lack of English made them just say "it's been sent already" next day it arrived. So I had to wait 9 days to finish my first build ever.

boo hoo

Yes

Best GPU to run most games at 1080p on 144Hz?

Would a RX 580 suffice?

I'm not sure if any CPU can run most games at 144fps.
The games dont use enough threads and single threaded performance even on intel's cpus isn't good enough

games are GPU based desu, 1080 could do constant 144 frames at 1080p

At what point is power supply efficiency not worth the jump in price
Bronze? Silver? Gold?

You do not know enough about computers to be correcting people about... pretty much anything.

Get gold. It's 90% efficiency rating.

Basically power delivery isn't linear so if you have a shitty psu it could drop too low and crash your shit (true story)

Wrong.

>garbage cooler
>garbage mobo
>slow RAM
>only 8GB
>workstation
>only 1TB WD fucking Blue
>no SSD
>ITX case for mATX board
>USB wifi
Pure autism. Just buy a prebuilt or a Mac like the other retarded normies before you hurt yourself.

See like that.
Don't do that.
The only posts you should be making is questions so you can be less dumb.

Wrong. I'm a computer science major