Backups

Let's talk about backups, Sup Forums:
How you do your backups?
What's the best way for do backups?
I'm in process of building a NAS but also I tought that should serve as some kind of backup server.
I knew I need at least two copies on site and other copy off site.
How you deal with the off site thing?
>related LTO tape drive

Several hard drives and rsync

are lto drives fairly straightforward to set up? do they need any special software or anything?

Dont know. I wish I had one, but they're expensive.

you can pick up lto4 drives for pretty cheap.

>How you do your backups?
Backblaze
>What's the best way for do backups?
Backblaze
>How you deal with the off site thing?
420 Backblaze it

The what I was looking for hours ago?

what do you mean?

I suck finding deals on eBay lad.

>£2k for LTO-7

Might as well just buy a ton of 10tb HDDs and hotswap them around.

Raid5 3 drives + rsync drive not in RAID

You pay outta the ass for the drive, but tapes themselves are so fucking cheap per TB it's unreal.

>tape drive breaks after a year
>can't read tapes
>have to fork out another £2k for a replacement drive

It's called warranty, and what kind of drive breaks after a year unless you throw it outta the window?

Real men don't backup

Automatically run backups with software, never manually.

To your own cloud storage that takes care of the replication & verification of the backup data on its own with staggered retention of changes..

Failing that, classical network filesystem on a Linux NAS or Linux home server that at least has RAID and then do periodical backup to another tape or HDD that you verify periodically.

Do you think that can be accomplished with an atom motherboard?

Depends on what speeds / (re-)verification rates you target, but generally speaking, yes.

It's even what quite many NAS boxes you can buy use.

>not having a bunch of rPI's for your dns dhcp file and mail servers

I just use a 1tb wd external since I don't have too many important files. Funny story, I got it super cheap at target because the shelf label price was misprinted and I was able to dispute it with the head tech guy there.

how would one do this?
i have a desktop and a mac for my daily, also a A4-7300 machine that i built for almost $100 in total with the idea of doing this.

Does these shits have sata connectors?

Why do you need SATA for those?

Do which part exactly?

If you don't have Linux experience (Linux is what's used for almost all production storage clouds) and no initiative to read up on how the open sauce storage clouds are set up, deployed, orchestrated - maybe just install Syncthing and use that for your file backup/replication needs.

It'll go pretty far, can even do staggered versioning.

Of course you still might want to deploy some Linux on the A4-7300 or whatever machine you have reserved and play with the "full" storage cloud technologies.

I don't backup. I also don't have any digital data I couldn't do without.

To hook up them to some large drives of course.

> Syncthing
Last time I looked it up it had performance issues keeping a few TB of data in constant sync over lan and some anons unironically recommended btsync. But that was before btsync 2.0

>Encryption Clean, Tape Drive Ready

I have a cheap synology NAS mainly for Plex and downloading torrents automatically but I also use it for backups.

My photos are all on there as well as some installers, backup images, etc.
I don't have redundancy because I think it's stupid to keep two identical disks spinning for my use case but I have a USB3.0 external disk that is set to backup once per week,

I also automatically upload certain folders to the cloud but only encrypted.

It's not as fancy in terms of what it replicates how / to where as many big data cloud solutions, but I think it should perform fine in a home / small network situation.

Maybe it has trouble if you produce a lot of tiny changes in individual files that are huge or something... Not sure what exactly you are doing.

Syncthing is so easy to deploy, maybe you'd best simply try & test if and where something actually goes wrong.

Does anybody knows what intel atoms processors supports uefi?

I'm pretty sure all new Atom boards support UEFI BIOS.

In the backup context, UEFI should be useless, you aren't going to do this on something as unsuited as Windows anyways... right?

I don't need anything fancy, just replicate a directory with 1-2TB of large files that are being frequently added and removed (but never modified)
It's for my father's NAS, he can't figure out remote torrent clients and runs qbittorrent on his laptop but wants completed files to be available on NAS asap. I set up btsync years ago when there was no better option and it worked fine with zero user input until recently when there were some file ownership issues or devices did not see each other until reboot.

I'm only care if I can hook up a 2.2 tb + and format it to be used to put shit on it. I'm not even booting from there.
So, I'll get a D510 atom mobo

>I'm in process of building a NAS
> NAS
> NAS

NAS stands for "Not A SBackup". It's redundancy. Which is good! Really good! But not backup.

I use Crashplan and I like it. Slow to recover though.

> I'm only care if I can hook up a 2.2 tb + and format it to be used to put shit on it.
You obviously don't need UEFI for that. This works even on ancient BIOS'.

But you'll probably have UEFI on a new mainboard anyhow

> So, I'll get a D510 atom mobo
Sure. Should work.

I know that a NAS isn't a proper backup. I have to backup the nas too.
I was thinking on backup the shit in my computers and store a copy in the nas.

>nas
>redundancy
Wat
Redundancy means fallback and/or load balancing for active, current dataset. Backup is a static image of dataset at some point in the past. NAS can act as either, or both simultaneously.

Thanks lad.

Sounds like that should be no problem for syncthing.

Arguably, Transmission, Vuze and others have local UI to control remote clients (if they can be installed on THAT specific NAS) if you want the solution that avoids creating traffic.

I was being overly simple. I meant redundancy in the sense of needing multiple hard drives to fail before losing data. But that only works if the NAS is set up in a raid configuration. It could be done JBOD and then there is no redundancy.

Now I want an LTO drive. At this point I'd settle for an LTO2

t. certified linux guru

More certified than you, anyway.

I bow before your certifications, sir!

What would be the best option for backups that I can just plug into my laptop? Would a multi-bay enclosure work, could it handle being unplugged once in a while?

Okay, next time btsync acts up I'll just replace it instead of trying to figure out what went wrong. And running torrents on the server would probably only reduce the amount of data to sync, he wants some of the files available on the laptop when he's not at home. Now that I think about it, syncing everything is probably less effort than sorting before sync.

How does that make it "not a backup"? Also ever heard about single drive consumer NASes?

you better back up your data... somebody's backin it up... it ain't you

Usually a NAS rather than something you "plug in". Precisely because you don't need to think about plugging it into your laptop and hence is fully suited for regular automatic (or even live) replication.

how are a NAS made from a Atom with ECC support vs a NAS made from a 20W TDP Xeon in terms of energy consumption?

Within the same generation, the Xeons usually have a slightly higher actual power consumption in use, but also higher performance per watt at at least medium/high loads.

The Xeon boards also tend to have more PCI-E / SATA etc. ports. For Atoms boards with a lot of SATA ports are a specialty design.

In a way: If you mainly want a NAS for files and maybe some torrenting or such and the Atom board has enough ports it will do the job fine.

If it's a bigger server that needs to do a lot more than that or requires a lot of SATA ports or whatever and you'll likely end up on a Xeon instead.

I'm mostly asking for ECC RAM support. Some old Xeons are cheap also.

ECC RAM should add ~10% power consumption to RAM. Not resulting in much of a difference in the overall power consumption of a storage server - you probably will be consuming like 1 HDDs worth of power on your ram RAM.