I know you're supposed to wear these but honestly I've built about 10 computers without one and they all have turned on...

I know you're supposed to wear these but honestly I've built about 10 computers without one and they all have turned on fine.

Is it a meme?

Not a problem unless you are shuffling around on cardboard or something.

>Is it a meme?
Unless you work near an accidental Van de Graff (shopvac or etc) then yes

1000% yes. Even if you were to generate static, all board components are rated to deal with anything you would ever conduct.

Yes and no. Thing is you will be surprised at how many people are very stupid when building a computer. I got my friend into it once and he held the CPU in his hand, touching the pins, like an idiot. I can imagine there's a few dozen idiots who build their computers on a carpet wearing wool sweaters.

Basically, use common sense and you'll be fine. And it looks like you're fine.

no reason not to do it, even if it's a meme
that said, I never used it

how bad is that? I must have done this at least a few times

wrong link was supposed to be a reply to
>I got my friend into it once and he held the CPU in his hand, touching the pins, like an idiot

To be honest it also isn't as bad as people say. I imagine you have to deliberately rub up against it or fuck with it or something to actually do damage. I caught him and slapped the back of his head and told him not to do it, checked for bent pins, and it was fine. One time I bent a pin, which happened because I dropped the CPU in the process of putting it in, but I just bent it back straight with my nail ever so slightly and the CPU never had any problems.

It has always made me feel uncomfortable knowing I'm securely connected to ground via a low resistance path while I'm working on equipment that might have stray voltages on it.
Like the un-grounded printer that had a hot co-ax lead attached. The co-ax came from another building where there was yet another wiring fault.
One time I found that there was 5VAC difference between the grounds of 2 adjacent office blocks.

I just built my first PC wearing nothing more than a couple rubber bands wrapped over my wrists and ankles. I couldn't tell whether or not it improved my chances of a successful build.

it's like having a fire extinguisher. 99.9% of the time you didn't really need it.

actually insurance is probably a better comparison. it costs like $5 and if you use it right it you're guaranteed to have no problems, though you probably didn't need it in the first place.

it's something that professionals use because accidentally bricking one person's computer computer and losing all their files isn't worth the savings of a pretty cheap one time purchase.

Yep, unless you like to moonwalk on a carpet in flip-flops before assembling a computer.

I just lean my arm against the case if I'm touching sensitive components.

Modern components have become way better with this. These aren't as needed anymore.

I've (re)built probably over a hundred over the years and never had any problems due to static. But I do pay attention to what I'm wearing and discharge myself before touching the sensitive parts.

> connected to ground via a low resistance path

You do know that proper anti-static bands have 1MOhm resistors in them, right?

This, the real static bands have a resistance similar to wet cornflakes

What are you doing probing around a high voltage board anyway

you need it if you pet a literal pussy before

You're supposed to disconnect external cables before opening up electronics, bruh.

There can still be charge left in the capacitors, but that's a different problem.

You can point yourself in the face with a loaded firearms a hundred times and probably nothing is going to ever happen, but there's a non-zero possibility of something going wrong and you will pay the consequences.

I build while barefoot on a wood floor and 1 hand or elbow always touching the metal case... so i doubt its to important.

ofcourse a weeb autist would get triggered
You're all the same, always think they know things better

>building a computer for a friend
>tell him not to touch it until I get to his house after work
>Fucking starts trying to build it
>When I get there the computer is half built
>he put the amd sticker that comes with the cpu ON THE cpu
>ALSO FUCKING PUT IT IN CORRECTLY
>BENDING ALL THE PINS
>told him he should've waited and now he's out $300

Electronics overwhelmingly get damaged by people DROPPING THEM.

And yet suicides are the most common form of gun death, not accidents.

How do you know they turned out fine?

I bet half of them grew up calling themselves Macintosh. That's what you get for not wearing protection

I just use a sheet of copper I have lying around and step on it barefoot while assembling.

>10 computers
Come back when you've assembled 10 times more.

Why, it's the same every time unless you're trying to do some custom watercooling.

It's easy as fuck to build one, at most for me takes an hour.

>point yourself in the face with a loaded firearms
>there's a non-zero possibility of something going wrong

No there isn't, as long as you keep your dumb finger off the trigger. Not unless the firearm itself is mechanically defective, the trigger mechanism has been tampered with or straight up designed wrong.
What you're experiencing is irrational fear, akin to pic related.

best way to do it , touch case and youre grounded

I bet you're a European.

Heyyyy I recognize that case, those purple fan guard things..

Yes, I am, how does that invalidate my argument?
Since we're already at the non-argument stage, I'm pretty sure I have more guns than you.

I have so far built all my computers on the carpet, its not even an issue just need to ground yourself and you are good.

for home use, nah
for computer shop, probably unneeded

for a business where you they just ordered a asic and it came in, it cost tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars and 3 months to make, you are putting on the fucking strap before looking at it because what are you going to tell your boss if you shock it and all that time and money is down the fucking drain.

treat every gun like its loaded for a fucking reason.
dont point the gun at anything you aren't willing to kill for a reason.

you want to risk your life on the change wear and tear isn't a thing, that someone didn't design the gun to have a fail point down the line for extra money in servicing it, that the last person to own it was VERY competent?

Take your life into your own hands, every gun n my house is stored barrel up again an outside wall or barrel down again against an outside wall in side a bullet proof housing and each gun flagged for nothing in the chamber.

the one gun I allow outside of that area for self defense is still pointed down where no one would be on the receiving end.

fat people and romans have no self control

>treat every gun like its loaded for a fucking reason

I do.

That doesn't mean I have to live in fear of guns going off for no reason like a soccer mom.
>99.999% of accidental discharges aren't accidental, just negligent.

Learn English or kill yourself, you fucking shit smear.

He said non-zero, that just means that the possibility exists. How fucking insecure are you such a statement triggers you?

The resistor is needed because if you plug yourself into groud and there is a massive discharge (on ground)you could die

Yes and no. You can keep psu plugged but disconnected if you need to use it as ground.
Grounding yourself to the case and the case isolated will work in a way to keep you both at same potential, it will not drain any energy.

>TFW I've never weared these and assembled computers with 1000 € parts on my carpet

Protip: Install the PSU in the case first and connect it to a wall socket while making sure it's off "0". Then just keep touching the PSU box every minute to discharge any static electricity you might have built up.

As an extra safety precaution you can also plug in the 24 pin motherboard ATX , 4 pin CPU ATX-12V, and 6-8 pin GPU PCI-E connectors last.

As always: NEVER EVER fucking connect any PSU connectors to the motherboard until everything else has been installed (standoff screws, CPU, RAM, ect).

Dont you buy alienware because you find computers "hard".

Did you pay the blood sacrifice?

What? No, I built an A10-7870K Micro-ATX desktop build myself. I would never recommend alienware trash to anyone. In fact I wouldn't recommend any pre-built at all.

My protocol is: plug in the PSU but don't turn it on (so it has a connected earth); touch the case right before anything else. That will usually do the trick.

Earth straps are very seldom necessary. They were needed a hell of a lot more back in the days when we had oldschool CMOS components, when our NVRAM was really NVRAM and not SPI Flash, etc etc. The kind of days when we used EPROM, not EEPROM, the kind where you can see the die through the window and you put a bit of electrical tape over it if you don't want to wipe it. If you are working on 80s vintage stuff, definitely do it. Modern computers? You'll be fine. Touching the case will remove most of the potential (ha) for trouble.

There's a video of some guys hitting various components with a 30,000 V Van de Graff generator and it takes 2-3 shocks to kill anything. It's hardly scientific but I'm still gonna call static wristbands a meme.

This. Earth the case and you'll be absolutely fine.

I'm gonna call you a retard. Retard.

I'd recommend touching the PSU box instead just in case you touch an insulated or plastic posing as metal part of the case.

bands are dirt cheap. regardless, you're a fool to not buy and wear a $5 strap when handling a $600 video card.

They feel gay desu. Touching the PSU box turned off connected to a wall socket is more than good enough.

>you're a fool not to throw away money for meme products when you can get the same result for free

Low energy bait.

>Not using superior msi application method

I built a PC on carpet get on my level

What a pussy.

hahahaha is this real

yup

>that moment he acknowledges he fucked up
Everytime.

Living on the edge huh? Well don't mean to brag but I sometimes bring my phone to work with just 20% battery. :^)

Source?

There is not a single reason to fear your gun, just leave it unloaded and/or locked when you are not using it.

It's something you're probably only going to bother with if you're a professional building/repairing computers all day or working on ESD sensitive stuff. In that case, buy one and use it every time. Otherwise, you're probably good.

Was posted on MSI's official YouTube channel

Am I to believe that some marketing manager over at MSI actually took a look at this video as said: "yeah, this is fine, we can go ahead and stamp it with the MSI logo and post it for the whole world to see" ?

Do you really think some faggot manager or PR guy knows how to apply fucking thermal paste?

I'm not saying that the marketing managers are born knowing how to apply thermal paste correctly. But in my experience, marketing managers tend to be very picky about making sure that their brand is only associated with the highest quality creatives, and they tend to be careful about every little detail because they know that even small mistakes look really stupid.

All the marketing managers I've known would have yanked that MSI video in a microsecond if anyone pointed out that the thermal past application was sloppy. But, really, the manager would have insisted that the maker of the video know exactly how to apply thermal paste correctly before shooting the video, even if the manager himself didn't know the technical details.

And most of my experience is at little companies (like 50 to 100 employees). I can't even imagine how much tighter the creative controls would be at a bigger company like MSI.

You're doing it wrong. You're supposed to discharge yourself by touching the sensitive parts. Plus in a pinch you can use the discharge as thermal paste.

Small chance of shock which is lowered by touching a ground when fucking with parts.

I only bother with expensive server shit.

Probably Chieftec Dragon Series or similar.

Mostly, but my philosophy is that if I'm handling some cheapo ass hardware like some old DDR RAM or whatever, I don't need one. But if I'm going to be handling $1000 pieces of hardware, hell yes I'm going to take every precaution. When dealing with money like that, can't be too safe.

>unironically advocating for going around pointing your gun to your face
You're the reason people want guns banned.

lookin real good

MSI cuminatube.
I should use this on some of my anime figures.

technology was a mistake

Most parts are pretty insensitive but I broke a lot of mos-FETs, so the answer is:
It depends

it's a meme, just get a metal case and keep it plugged in with the power off. touch the case every now and then to remove static, and before you start work press the power button to discharge any remaining energy

Or chienming whatever

>Built my first computer a couple of months ago.
>Like 1.4 grand of expensive gear.
>Literally built it in non conductive underwear, with nothing else on, on a non conductive floor and table, with an antistat strap, mat, gloves etc.
>Don't even breath near it.
>Meticulously make sure it's all in place.
>Turn it on.
>Just werks in one try.
>boot, post, OS install, set it up, install, overclock, all flawless.
>Chugs along fine so far.
>build thread dotted with 'help i can't post', 'what does this weird error mean', ' i blew my shit out, help'

'He who errs on the side of caution doesn't get fucked twice for repairs' - Sun Tzu

So if I want to swap out a RAM stick, I'm supposed to disconnect the PSU completely from the motherboard first? Whew. Not to mention, replacing a SATA device or a PCI(e) card.

What the fuck? He put like at least 10x more of it than necessary.

whoops, i just turn off the power and discharge any capacitors

I don't even know we're to connect it? Do you connect it in the ground plug

Static damage can be subtle. Wearing a strap is cheap insurance.

A static shock you can actually feel is in the neighborhood of 20,000 volts at minimum.

You discharge static electricity pretty much every time you touch anything, even if it's not over a threshold you can feel.

Tiny shocks of less than a hundred volts can cause damage to sensitive components.

The damage may not outright kill the device, either. It may cause damage that leads to unreliable function, now or months later.

Just wear the fucking strap so we don't have to deal with your thread three months from now blaming video drivers for your machine bluescreening.

Just ground it on the case, or a metal chair leg nearby, or your dog.

This. You can zap your ram without even feeling it, and not know anything is wrong for months.

>treat every gun like its loaded for a fucking reason.
How do you clean them then? Because you can't clean a loaded firearm.

Oh checkmate retard.

No, this only applies for the first-time assembly. You can swap out shit as long as you disconnect the PSU from the wall socket. Though in this case (heh), it is recommended you ground yourself someway until you put the side panel back on.

Yeah don't do that. Damage from static electricity may not even present itself immediately like user a few posts above me said.

You want to share the same ground connection as the machine you're working on.

The proper way to do this is to have the machine on an antistatic mat, connected by a wire to that mat, which is itself connected to the building ground. You then wear a strap that is also connected to the antistatic mat, or at least the same ground.

Since I know you don't have a proper setup the ghetto way to do this is to leave the machine plugged in but with the hardware switch in the OFF position, and then clip your strap to a metal part of the machine's case. A plugged-in PSU (and by extension everything it connects to) remains grounded even when physically switched off.

Hardware baby thinking hes hot shit

Congratulations on your 40 hour training course and your 27k a year job

but static electricity comes from me, not the power cord, so static damage could happen whether its plugged in or not. keeping the power cord in keep the whole thing grounded and lets me dissipate static through the case right?

>keeping the power cord in keep the whole thing grounded and lets me dissipate static through the case right?
Hopefully but it's safer to touch the PSU box in case something stops the static electricity from reaching the ground from the case.

If you're the user talking about swapping stuff later: I meant to say "turn off the PSU". You don't have to unplug it, just make sure it's off.

ESD protection in ICs is pretty widespread now, and most ICs have protective diodes rated to 5kV. Unless you're literally shuffling on the carpet and fondling pads on the CPU, you should be fine.

ah, check. I always turn off the PSU, I've been shocked by mains before and i don't intend to experience it again.

so long as you manually drain the capacitors, you should be fine.
do it yourself to save some shekels, I hear shops charge upwards of 100$ USD to do it for you

I bought one after a ram module and the vram in my gpu eventually went kaput. Just in case it was really my fault because RMA is such a waste of time.