Moving definitely to Leenux

Howdy anons,

Today I'll be moving 100% to Linux (more specifically, openSUSE Leap). Up until now I used it just for uni work.

Krita is a good PS clone. Inkscape is meh, but works. Blender is quite good. Thus, I'll be able to do my graphics freelancing work.

I gave up games, and the only 2 that literally interest me are Insurgency and Arma 3, both on Linux.My printers work. My programming work is easier.

How many of you are right now 100% on Linux?

Other urls found in this thread:

opensource.com/alternatives/autocad
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

100% here. You won't regret it user. Programming in anything other than Linux is a pain.

Also gonna do it soon, just dont have the time right now.
But I still have to decide which Distro it will be. Right now i think of either openSUSE Leap or Manjaro.

I'd just like to interject for a moment. What you're referring to as Linux, is in fact, GNU/Linux, or as I've recently taken to calling it, GNU plus Linux. Linux is not an operating system unto itself, but rather another free component of a fully functioning GNU system made useful by the GNU corelibs, shell utilities and vital system components comprising a full OS as defined by POSIX.

Many computer users run a modified version of the GNU system every day, without realizing it. Through a peculiar turn of events, the version of GNU which is widely used today is often called "Linux", and many of its users are not aware that it is basically the GNU system, developed by the GNU Project.

There really is a Linux, and these people are using it, but it is just a part of the system they use. Linux is the kernel: the program in the system that allocates the machine's resources to the other programs that you run. The kernel is an essential part of an operating system, but useless by itself; it can only function in the context of a complete operating system. Linux is normally used in combination with the GNU operating system: the whole system is basically GNU with Linux added, or GNU/Linux. All the so-called "Linux" distributions are really distributions of GNU/Linux.

I'd like to respond to your interjection:

GNU is cancer, Linus is the boss.

I just want AutoCAD. Then I will transition

there is blender

It's not the same.

Perhaps these alternative might seem more interesting:
opensource.com/alternatives/autocad

I'm sorry, but I use a Windows 7 install for gaems not available on GNU/Linux

I've made the switch a couple of years ago and I don't regret it one bit. I know the whole software freedom people look silly and are a little cringy but it actually does feel a lot freer than Windows. I don't constantly feel like I'm being spied on, or not allowed to do something on my computer, anymore. It really makes a difference.

I am 90% Linux. I still have a windows partition installed just in case (never boot into it) but I intend to get rid of it eventually, Just gotta move all of my stuff.

This. Same here... using the win7 install for the few times I wanna play some vidya. Probably 3hrs/week on average. I am lazy and just can't be bothered to make gaymes work properly in Linux...

99% on linux here

there is an industry standard geographic information software called arcgis that only runs on windows because its source code hasn't changed since 1998. i pretty much exclusively use the open source equivalent now anyway (qgis) because it's actually better in a lot of ways (no open sores meme, it actually has more functionality, runs better and uses less memory)

the only vidya i even play anymore is tf2 and that runs just fine on linux

anything to do with programming WILL run on linux because it's probably the only software sector that is guaranteed to have a significant amount of users on linux

Do it, I've gone full loonix 3 years ago and I learned tons of stuff

>Today I'll be moving 100% to Linux
I just don't see the point. For the most part, I use Linux on my home laptop, but I'm just as comfortable with Windows on my home machine(for gaming) and at work.
I would probably be just as comfortable with OS X.

The thing with me is that the game that I do play I got running on wine almost flawlessly (Fallout new Vegas) BUT to install mods on it I need to switch to Windows. So I only really need to copy the game + steam

>tfw brother printers have native linux drivers
Best fucking shit in the world.
I currently only use W7 on my gaymin rig, openSUSE Leap on the rest. My current setup for webprogramming and Qt development is entirely crossplatform, so I can use it anywhere.

80% on Linux. My education requires me to hand in .docx with strict formatting requirements, so I'm tied to Word. I don't trust wine with anything critical, so I'm running Windows 10 in a VM.

100%. Although I'm staying on Debian based system because muh direct gaming support.

isn't there something like freeCAD?

There's WPS office. Also libre office, but the stable version has worse docx comparability.

>with strict formatting requirements
I haven't seen anything not fuck up something.
Lost a grade over some silly minor thing about spacing in footnotes what was correct in a PDF export but broken in the docx version. Never again, my man.

Started switching back in 2009, tired of my cloged winXP. Almost immediately made the switch complete, since my XP install got fucked soon after.

Now I'm a happy ubuntu/fvwm-crystal user. Both work (engineering) and private (#partyhard).

OP here, Brother printer as well.

Unfortunately Im using a mac atm because Im doing hybrid mobile development.

Before that I was using fedora and it was comfy as fuck. Miss it daily over this steaming pile if apple shit.

>docx
...why not a fucking pdf what's WRONG with your uni

100% here as well.

>I gave up on games
I didn't, I bought a console. PC may have higher frame rates and better graphics, but all that is pointless if the games aren't any good :^)

BrisCAD is pretty legit. Made by an actual professional company, but supported on Windows, Mac, and Linux.

>Blender is quite good.
what about maya ?

>How many of you are right now 100% on Linux?
are you seriously asking Sup Forums ? they only fire up their arch vms for desktop threads.

i've been using linux exclusively since ~2003, at my job ~50% of the people use linux exclusively and at the university i study ~20% of the CS students

>his uni doesn't let him write his shit in LaTeX

What kind of a pleb institution do you attend?

i guess it's an american university ?

I study law. That should be all you need to know.

Complain to your uni. They should accept PDF.

They provide public workspaces with Microsoft Office. There's no reason for them to accept PDF, all work can be done using their infrastructure.

Desktop
Laptop
Server
Tablet
Phone

All on Linux

Hi user. I have a macbook, an Asus Zenbook running windows, and I've ordered a thinkpad to run linux on.
Right now I feel like I can't do anything without my linux machine.

>phone
>linux
How does that work? Or are you just talking about the Linux kernel for Android?

You know you can just copy paste it to Google docs and download it then submit.

This pasta is stale as fuck

It's still Linux. There's also sailfish OS.

I only use Linux. I do have a Windows partition in one of laptops in case I need to compile something for Windows.

Can it run AAA games without an abstraction layer like Wine?

did you even read the post?

>AAA games
Those are better on console than PC, as the "AAA" games on PC are just bad ports from console anyways.

dis