/fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread

Previous thread: Welcome to /fglt/ - Friendly GNU/Linux Thread.

Users of all levels are welcome to ask questions about GNU/Linux and share their experiences.

*** Please be civil, notice the "Friendly" in every Friendly GNU/Linux Thread ***

Before asking for help, please check our list of resources.

If you would like to try out GNU/Linux you can do one of the following:
0) Install a GNU/Linux distribution of your choice in a Virtual Machine.
1) Use a live image and to boot directly into the GNU/Linux distribution without installing anything.
2) Dual boot the GNU/Linux distribution of your choice along with Windows or macOS.
3) Go balls deep and replace everything with GNU/Linux.

Resources:
Your friendly neighborhood search engine (try to use a search engine that respects your benis such as searx, ixquick or startpage).

$ man %command%
$ info %command%
$ help %command%
$ %command% -h
$ %command% --help

Don't know what to look for?
$ apropos %something%

Check the Wikis (most troubleshoots work for all distros):
wiki.archlinux.org
wiki.gentoo.org

Sup Forums's Wiki on GNU/Linux:
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Category:GNU/Linux

>What distro should I choose?
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Babbies_First_Linux

>What are some cool programs?
wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/list_of_applications
directory.fsf.org/wiki/Main_Page

>What are some cool terminal commands?
commandlinefu.com/
bropages.org/

>Where can I learn the command line?
mywiki.wooledge.org/BashGuide
linuxcommand.org/tlcl.php
grymoire.com/Unix/

>Where can I learn more about Free Software?
gnu.org/philosophy/philosophy.html

>How to break out of the botnet?
prism-break.org/en/categories/gnu-linux

/t/'s GNU/Linux Games: /t/'s GNU/Linux Videos: /fglt/'s website and copypasta collection:
fglt.nl && p.teknik.io/wJ9Zy

Other urls found in this thread:

stallman.org/spotify.html
linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html#configuration
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I haven't played it in 6 months. My pets kept dying, my character kept surviving and I got into mid-game and didn't know what to do and was intimidated by all the shit I read on the wiki.

Flash and Netflix work on Linux though. Where is the issue?

The issue is that if you want your friends to migrate to free software, they will have to get by without those proprietary shitstains.

>he says while shitposting on a proprietary imageboard

>Update GNU/Linux
>pulseaudio doesn't work
>pacmd shows no sinks
>alsa gets the card but can't play
wat do

You can't expect anyone in the normie world to full go 100% libre. Maybe 90% for a dedicated normie, but 100% is reversed for true autists who audit every code

I'd fuck her.

You can and its our job to help them. Isn't it?

how do i make gnome behave like windows?

while :; sudo cat /dev/sda/ | curl -X POST - nsa.gov; done

Should I setup btrfs with compress=zlib or compress=lzo?

sensible chuckle/10

No, you set up the filesystem ubunut is suggestng, don't ask questions and click "NEXT".

I'll just setup windows 10 instead, it'll even install candy crush saga for me automatically in the background.

My favorite pasttime.

Am I the only one who thinks adding compression to the filesystem is a bad idea? I feel like it's not the filesystem's job to compress your data.

On gentoo where you have lots of small textfiles because of compiling everything it is very good.

Speed wise there's no real difference, lzo is pretty fast.

>where you have lots of small textfiles because of compiling everything
You don't use a tmpfs for /var/portage?

I don't like to redownload everything when I change a compile flag.

Posting this here again, because

When updating or installing via console I repeatedly get the messages:
sudo apt-get install numix-gtk-theme numix-icon-theme-circleE: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I recently had some problems with Windows as well with memory positions unable to be written. Someone suggested to run a memtest, but I can't get the damn thing to run properly. I reinstalled Ubuntu after those issues started appearing.
But I AM using two ~5 year old Memory sticks as well as two very new ones.
Should I just throw out my old ones and see iof that fixes it? or is my installation of Ubuntu fucked too due to the issue?

Using only free software and auditing code are seperate things. I can do one without doing the other. Not everyone is interested in how software works, and they don't need to be. They should, however, have the FREEDOMS that come with free software.
If the free software does everything the normie wants it to, why should he not use it? There is no reason for him to audit the code.

did you try jewgling the error message?

If you think I'm merely joking, I'll have to disappoint you.

What are some cool terminal commands?

Is there any sort of tool for linux with which I can mute spotify ads, like ezblocker on windows?

>yale

I mean I dislike the fat fuck but he's probably more sane than most people in there

vrms -s | tr '\n' ' ' | xargs sudo apt-get -s autoremove --purge

Stop using spotify.
s/-s//

The problem is that there are a lot of problem that pop up seemingly randomly on both operating systems and they seem barely connected, but it's ALWAYS the same problems.
On both Linux and Windows, Programs randomly crash, often but not always on startup.
The error messages I googled seem to have a simple solution to them that never fix them for me.

>Stop using spotify.
why?

Your error usually shows up when some other program is alreading running apt (which created a lock file so no other program can run apt, making sure that shit just works).

not him but: nonfree drm cancer
i don't understand why everyone jumped on the spotiy wagon, like, there isn't music without it, wtf

why should I care wheter it's free software or not?

>stop using spotify
That's like saying Stop using facebook. You should either make some good shit flipping pasta, or you'll be ignored.

this is why the varg meme was never good
stallman.org/spotify.html

Name a better PDF editor/viewer, GNUtards. Protip: You can't.

Would you like to be a valuable part of society?
mupdf

Hello friends,

I'm currently having some trouble trying to install GNUnet on Mint.

Already tried vanilla, GTK, QT and Java versions and none of those worked (either failed to compile over dependencies I have no idea where to find or looked for gnunet binaries that didn't exist).

Can someone kindly point a retard-proof way to get this shit up and running?

>mupdf
thanks for a laugh, kid.

Since we're already at it. I also often get this when using apt-get update

AppStream cache update completed, but some metadata was ignored due to errors.

Generally, a lot of data seems to contain errors whenever I try to load or install stuff

read about GNUnet on all chans, is it the new meme?

t. computer illiterate, never used mupdf

>t. computer illiterate, never used mupdf
highlight some shit with it, bookmarks some shit, make some fucking notes, NEETard.

>mupdf
Not editor and can't use bookmarks.

since you're obviously new, you should completly switch to aptitude instead of apt-get
commands are basically the same and aptitude does lots of handholding when things are going wrong

>downloading your music every time you listen to a track
>downloading redundant data over and over again

Absolutely disgusting.

MATE or Xfce?

I want cool looking GTK themes but I also want customization, stability and light on resources.

I can't seem to find the option to change icon theme on MATE.

Are those Apple icons? They look as ugly as the Breeze icons. Ew.

wmultis

They both use the same GTK themes.
Mate can change icons.
You're an idiot if those are the criteria for your choice.

dwm

>Apple icons

The one I'm using.

Which is what user?

feed your favorite search engine that respects your benis with "mate" and "change icon theme" in case you don't get any results, report back and I'll try it for you

I like okular best, but I have no idea what yours can do.

Two questions for you Sup Forums:

1) Have any of you tried TLP?
linrunner.de/en/tlp/docs/tlp-linux-advanced-power-management.html#configuration

It introduces PCI Power Management which was lacking from Linux until now.

2) Is there any reason to not use large block size, like 64k, for your file system? Considering how most files are a lot larger than 64k anyway ( music, pdfs, pictures, movies, ... ). It would give your hdd a boost in speed at the expense of a little wasted space.

Just get mupdf. It's what all these frontends use as backend. Profit is support of all kinds of formats inclusive epub.

I use TLP. Had a few problems with the SATA power savings which gave me a few warnings during boot. I don't know if I changed settings, but it has stopped happening recently and now it works fine.

this
mupdf is the like the mpv in %randomplayer% or like the ffmpeg in %randomconverter%

TLP is kind of an hit and miss when we're talking about noticeable differences. Anyway, be sure to set APM to 255, in order to disable it, unless you want your hdd in a bin, that is.

It doesn't seem to work with .azw3 ebooks

Never heard of that format and too asshole to open a tab, help?

people shilled it when the nyaa shitstorm happened

>I like okular best, but I have no idea what yours can do.
Okular's garbage. It's shit for editing and annotating PDFs.

>mupdf is the like the mpv in %randomplayer% or like the ffmpeg in %randomconverter%
who gives a shit about backend? I care about USABILITY you dumb autist.

It's not just about overall file size, but how close their size is to multiples of your block size. If you have 10k files that are each 65 KB, you'll have wasted 10,000 KB.

Japanese kindle ebook format
It works if I convert it to epub though

just installed ubuntu, how to protect myself against black arch hackers?

install gentoo

A hacker is someone who enjoys playful cleverness—not necessarily with computers. The programmers in the old MIT free software community of the 60s and 70s referred to themselves as hackers. Around 1980, journalists who discovered the hacker community mistakenly took the term to mean “security breaker.”

Please don't spread this mistake. People who break security are “crackers.”

Is there any actual advantages to using a rolling release system over older, more stable packages? I'm stuck between using Arch or Debian, and it seems like the biggest difference between the two. Are there any other differences?

Hint: Debian has a rolling release branch.

Why does arch linux have /usr/bin/ebook-convert bundled with package calibre and not ebook-tools.

I don't want to install all that bloat.

Newer packages can be cool when you:
- are a programmer and need up to date interpreters
- want the newest shit

If you like Debian, I'd recommend to stick to it and upgrade to testing or unstable. Testing is comfy; it's frozen unstable (but doesnt get security patches while being frozen, which is about 2-3 weeks), unstable is like Arch with all possibilities of breakage, but you have programs that can check if something may break before you upgrade, which makes unstable comfy too compared to arch, where you have to look for stuff and fix stuff manually.

install Manjaro

unstable should be recommended to aynone who doens't know what he'd doing tho

shouldn't*

I'm a longtime arch user buying a new laptop. It's pretty annoying when shit breaks on me all the time. Are there any other differences between Debian and Arch? All that comes to mind is packages(pacman, AUR).

>arch is for advanced user only
Yet people install it, wew.
Stop treating people like toddlers.

>shit breaks
When was the last time "shit broke"? Most likely never and your long time user means "I used it for 2 weeks 5 minutes a day in a virtual machine while installing every package there is in the AUR".

try manjaro: delayed upgrades, can take ~1 month, makes sure upgrading doesnt break anything

How do I make it fit to width by default?

found the guy on day 1 on arch

Just follow this thread, you don't even need to use Arch to get info on shit breaking once a week.
>muh fonts broke, what do
>rebooted and got a black screen, what do
it goes like this every other day
why? because noobs install arch in order to be cool but dont follow the arch news like a sane person

That doesn't make Arch trash, it makes hipsters using it without knowing shit trash. Fuck off.

Help me. xfce or kde. Be detailed please

rate

I used Arch as my only OS for 2-3 of years on two machines. On one machine with a broadcom wifi module it would break on many kernel updates until someone could come up with a fix (which could take up to a few weeks), which is something that comes to mind straight away. When I finally repaired a hardware fault on my laptop(after 2-3 months) and ran pacman -Syu it didn't work due to some security error that I didn't even bother reading, I just installed windows (since I have a new machine on the way). Software bugs aren't uncommon on rolling release distros; which is the reason why servers and companies use more stable distros.

this is me

Following the rules of English, in the construction “Arch Linux” the word “Arch” modifies “Linux”.

This basically means “Arch's version of Linux”, but an Arch GNU/Linux system includes more than just a modified kernel.

>Had a few problems with the SATA power savings which gave me a few warnings during boot

What did the warning say?

>TLP is kind of an hit and miss when we're talking about noticeable differences

Well it's only noticeable if you compare to full load max performance. If you don't use cpu/gpu intensive software than you won't notice anything.

>If you have 10k files that are each 65 KB, you'll have wasted 10,000 KB.

10Mb for every 10k files doesn't sound bad. Of course if the files are 100kb each you waste 360 Mb for every 10k files.
I'll have to eyeball my file sizes and make a decision for my next file system.

I'm this guy.
Literally no one since I started posting said Arch is trash; the discussion is about it's release cycle being a double edged blade.

10/10

Perhaps if you didn't use shitty solutions for fonts (Infinality) that would have never happened.

Can we all agree that Arch is a pretty cool distro if:
- you are mature enough not to spread the minimal/KISS meme
- keep nonfree crap off your lawn
- check your AUR packages before installing
- stay up2date on recent news
?

>arch is for advanced user only
was never meant to be a meme

umm.... y did u start counting with 0, everyone knos u start from 1 ecks dee

where can I find a big breasted gnu/linux waifu?

No

You are memeing youself at point 2.

How so? I'm running Arch with linux-libre, I use an USB adapter for my Wifi and I flashed my BIOS with libreboot. I'm running a completly free Arch install.

I read PKGBUILDS before installing something, check licenses, read news and I use IRC.

If truth, I'm actually impressed. Very nice, user.