/wt/ Watch Thread

This thread is about the appreciation of watches, as well as the micro-engineering and materials engineering that are required to make a fine watch.

Slavshit special

>Required Viewing For Newbies:
youtu.be/_2J5phyd9J4

>Strap Guide:
pastebin.com/SwRysprE

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

forums.watchuseek.com/f71/perloyant-k-necessity-mother-invention-2684258.html#/topics/2684258?page=1
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for the glory of Daini Seikosha.

What strap should I get for my Copernic?
I bought it a few years ago and it's been in a draw ever since and I want to start wearing it

>Bulova

No kidding.

The guy who designed their moon watch must have wrists like Popeye.

55mm lug to lug, jesus christ. And they're so fucking straight too.

so... you accept the fact that you are wearing/buying a watch because it's pretty, like say... a piece of jewelry?

what are you, a woman/tranny?

also, craftsmanship argument is not really valid because the level of technology that goes into quartz watches requires a much higher level of expertise and manpower and technology.

There is a reason you don't find workshops or one man teams making a quartz clock from scratch.

Get photon power if you must have a watch, like pic related..

* wearing/buying a memenical watch

It's not just because it's pretty. You can buy quartz watches that look just as pretty on the outside, you know.

>the level of technology that goes into quartz watches requires a much higher level of expertise and manpower and technology.
I have plenty of electronics to marvel at in my life already.

I want something different once in a while.

Black perlon.

Don't feed the trolls.

Shut him up, didn't I?

Kill yourself, you dumb fucking shit stain.

report and move on, you dumb fuck autists

Go drink some bleach, shit for brains.

Watches are cool

How the fuck do you even appreciate a memenical if you have to wind it up and set the time if you leave it unattended for a few days. And even to appreciate the inner workings you need a open heart watch or one with a glass back.

Just accept the fact you are a woman at heart and just want shiny things.

Hah, you wish. Go check the archives for ecoshill.
Every once in a while I like to enrage the jewelry wearing trannies and their leader no balls.

Yeah, totally brah.
Should just stick one up your anus just like your dad stuck his pee pee up yours.

>how do you appreciate the mechanics of something if you have to actually manipulate the mechanical functions?
Really?

>And even to appreciate the inner workings you need a open heart watch or one with a glass back.
No you don't.

/wt/, can induction stoves cause magnetization of a movement? The 7S26C in my SNK809 has suddenly started running like 10 minutes slow per day, and aside from the obvious conclusion that the 7S26 is shit, the only thing I could think of that caused this is my parents' new induction stove, which I was using while visiting them on the weekend. I hear they give off pretty strong magnetic fields but so do cell phones.

R8 my watch

Yeah, really.... Like totally brah.

But seriously, the only attractive aspect of memenicals is 'much shiny' and 'craftsmanship' whatever that means.

oh, look... the second hand moves so fast but still in a staggered manner that it appears to sweeping my snowfraked dial. MUH SHINY.

So do you only wear smartwatches?

That's not a watch, fag.
It's a computer that pretends to be a watch so that the manufacturer can get the goyim to give them more shekels.

Man, whatever happened to these threads? A year ago they were still decent, sure they had declined from the days when watchmakeranon frequented them, but still decent. Now I feel like it's nothing but shills and trolls. What the fuck happened?

There are better threads now and then. Now isn't one of those times. Just remember to report & ignore.

If all you're after is performance, then logically you should prefer smartwatches like that over analog quartzes.

What??? Fuck no.
If and when I do wear a watch it is either a g-shock, a precision quartz or a solar-powered-somewhat-accurate quartz that I don't have to babby or set the time everyfucking time I leave it alone for a couple of days.

Utility, friendo and with some panache --that is a decent casing. I want the most robust, carefree and good looking watch which gives me a good value for money. And that happens to be photon powered watches, like pic related.

also, because it is next to impossible for a man or a small workshop of machining equipment. You need millions of dollars worth of fab to even begin.

A while ago some enormous faggot wandered over here from a fake watch forum and got bootyblasted at /wt/'s opinion of Chinkshit garbage, and so he started perma-trolling these threads. Once some of the other trolls saw him shitting up thread after thread, they started to swarm in the hopes of being able to kill /wt/ with their jealousy and rage.

Just report and ignore the trolls and they will eventually get bored or banned.

Upcoming seiko prospex. This one comes with the 6r15 movement and a sapphire dial.

For some reason it just looks "right" to me.

So in other words you prefer "muh traditional shiny analog watch format" over the supreme functionality of a smartwatch?

>Utility is a decent casing
Wrong.
The traditional watch format with case, dial, hands, markers, crystal ... is entirely obsolete if all you're after is functionality.

Your G-shock is in line with your beliefs (depending on the type), but both of those Citizens make you a hypocrite.

pic related is much better. it keeps on running for like 20 years and feeds on photons.

I like the look of it a lot.
But I don't see why it's twice the price of your average 6R15 SARB.

Pic related is also a new model coming out, they have a 4R movement, so probably 500 bucks or fewer.

It's the same people this whole time, people just get bored of having the same circlejerk about max bill and suwa and muh in house movements over and over and over again, and people's tastes change as they get deeper into a hobby so naturally you will see a shift in consensus over time

Actually I already have quite a few solar powered casios, seikos and citizens.

Do you know what happened to the sensible frog?
The other two threw him off the log.

>I hear they give off pretty strong magnetic fields but so do cell phones.
LOL no, it's probably close to a millionfold difference in total energy

So...why buy an automatic diver? It's not like it is actually useful as a dive watch.

inb4 muh looks, much shiny.

Because it looks nice.

Reminds me of

Yeah the price is a bit much. I am guessing the sapphire crystal that is thick enough for a diver is the thing that pushes up the price.

On the other hand, the 10 hour difference in power reserve between the 6r15 and 4rxx movements is really noticeable to me, so much so that I have stopped wearing my 4rxx watches.

eh, how new are u? Is it summer already?

>$1200 US DOLLARS
>$1200 US DOLLARS
>$1200 US DOLLARS
>$1200 US DOLLARS
>$1200 US DOLLARS

So then if watch manufacture already tell us to avoid prolonged contact with cell phones, an induction cook top will definitely magnetize them?

Get out.

>discussing watches
What's the problem?

Post your watch collection, if you dare.

Shitposting and trolling related to watches is still shitposting and trolling.

noooh you

Just because you disagree does not make it trolling and shitposting.

how are mechanical watches not shit?
>terrible power reserve. You have to set the time and wind the watch if you keep it alone for a couple of days.

>not shockproof. Can't even ameri-fat-clap due to fear of breaking muh fragile shit spring and balance wheel

inb4 muh craftmanship, muh guillochie, much snowfrake, much sweep movement (it ain't, you are just too slow to notice the dick-dog)

get light, get life fucking memenical shill.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. There are people in this thread who openly admit to shitposting to actively try to lower the quality of discussion in the thread. Here's one even posting about it here >Hah, you wish. Go check the archives for ecoshill.

This guy has had a lot of his posts deleted and probably banned before given how he'd suddenly stop posting (not that we'd ever see the ban message.)

We're up to our eyes in shitposting here.

dude fag, I am not always this overt. Sometimes the jewelry shilling has to be kept in check and countered with photon powered shilling.

Please, it's trivial to get around a ban. Nineball has admitted to using a trip to attract attention so this other guy is hardly the only one.

>hurr I have to hate the other thing to enjoy this thing

why is this thread full of emotionally stunted losers

unwatched

>ITT: WT experiences their first shills
Meanwhile, the few remaining people at Sup Forums are shills that argue with other shills thinking they're actual Sup Forums users. Face it, this site is reddit-tier garbage ever since that kike moot sold us out to the alphabets and now that dumb subhuman chink who's shoving malware-ridden ads down our throats while claiming there isn't enough money to fund the site to add insult to injury.

@ 60213169
here is your (noYou)

>He thinks all those shitko post are not by the same shill. You don't know how the game is played, do you?

I didn't say anything about tripcodes.

10 minutes slow definitely sounds like it's magnetized.

>oh, look... the second hand moves so fast but still in a staggered manner that it appears to sweeping my snowfraked dial. MUH SHINY.
look up how spring drive, the movement used in the snowflake, works. it's actually smooth and not staggered.

>implying Sup Forumstards like you aren't the exact newfag cancer shitting up the site with your constant toxic bullshit and SHILLS posting

fuck off from this thread. fuck off from Sup Forums.

Yeah, like electromagnetic braking is not the same thing as an escapement. Maxwell be praised.

That traffic spike is thanks to kike media talking about
>muh sekret club pol on le Sup Forums hacker hangout
and so naturally all the reddit scum come over to check it out, and what do you know, they stay and act like they have moral high ground, telling people to leave because they are "racist" or "homophobic," yet this site was always like that.

Seiko monster ftw.

no fuck off. this place isn't stormfront. at most we were libertarian.

you tinfoil alt right newfag cancer are killing this site.

>no fuck off. this place isn't stormfront. at most we were libertarian.
We were anonymous
We did it for the lulz

I did not. You may have misunderstood the last time I explained it.

Back in September 2010 there was a lot of metathreads. Threads complaining about tripcodes and this and that. Metaposters were filling the front pages with their complaining. I adopted a tripcode because it was a passive and effortless way to piss off the less intelligent posters on Sup Forums.

How's the dog? Well fucked?

>r/thedonald alt right newfag
>calling people reddit

this will never not be amusing

It's amazing how being confrontationally ugly can actually work as long as its done right.

>reddit poster that thinks he's an oldfag

This perlon plus Omega-style deployment idea is comfy as fuck.

>he doesn't know he's replying to someone who's been here since 2004

go away you little cringey newfag babby

Hi, it's the user looking for the Lord Marvel again. I find a version that I *think* has the linen dial but the Seiko logo, minute and second hands are in gold.

The asking price is indeed higher like you guys mentioned, it's $500. Is it still a good price?

Are Rolex watches as durable and beater-like as people make them out to be?
What are some other watches I can throw on and not worry about that aren't cheap shitters?

Some other angles.

Omega, Breitling

g-shock

Any non-diver pieces with these qualities from Omega?
I heard their newer movements' parts are hard to get for independent watchmakers. Reliability and serviceability have to be top notch.
I don't really like the Breitling look in general desu.

Rolexes are pretty tough. And what do you consider to be a cheap shitter? I mean, honestly, a low end seiko diver is pretty tough when it comes to normal use as well.

That being said, if you're ever in a situation where you want a watch that absolutely must be as tough as possible, a g-shock is the choice.

>not cheap shitters

I meant "cheap shitter" in an endearing kind of way.
I love my Seikos and slavshit watches.
I would just like something as reliable but in a higher price category.
Like 1-3k€ used.

there are expensive g-shocks, and many g-schocks that aren't shitters

>Like 1-3k€ used.
Then a non-low-end seiko diver.

Why would you buy an expensive shitter? Just get something nice at that point.

I would go for the $400 non-linen dial one over that example.

>Omega
Their co-axial movements are fragile as fuck senpai.

MM300, or one of the good tunas

Isn't an in-house Pelagos the obvious answer here? Titanium is more scratch prone but much tougher than steel, and Tudor's free sprung movement should have better shock resistance than most regulated balance movements.

A shot of an Omega-style deployment clasp on a perlon from the guy I got the idea from.

Details here, if anyone is interested: forums.watchuseek.com/f71/perloyant-k-necessity-mother-invention-2684258.html#/topics/2684258?page=1

It's deployant

What are you doing? I wear a perlon so I don't know it's there and the buckle sits on the side of my wrist. With this huge monstrosity on a person it'd just make it incredibly annoying and significantly heavier.

I used to be a desktop user until I got a desk job where they actually monitored my Internet usage (ie at a company with a competent IT department rather than a little half-dozen employee operation). I have no choice but to shitpost from my phone.

I actually find it considerably more comfortable as the clasp adds a counter balance to the watch-head and makes the perlon much more stable.

Mind you, I generally find Omega-style deployant clasps very comfortable, so your mileage may vary.

So again, you admit to attracting negative attention. Thanks!