/spg/ - Smartphone General

If requesting purchasing advice, please provide your country and what carrier you will be using it with, along with wanted features, budget and size.

Good resources:
>reviews, specs, comparisons
gsmarena.com
phonearena.com
kimovil.com

>Frequency checker
willmyphonework.net
frequencycheck.com

>Chinkphone news
gizchina.com
gizmochina.com

>Recommended Chinkphones $80-$300 as of a long time ago
wiki.installgentoo.com/index.php/Chink_shit_general/Phones

>Post a mini-review of your phone
>Discuss upcoming and current models
>Ask for help related to phones
>Tell us how much shekels you spent on good/bad phone
>PRAISE THE CHINKPHONES unless you live in America you shits

>News:
Sony Xperia X Performance down to $299.99 in United States for limited time
bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1255538-REG/sony_1302_6213_xperia_x_performance_f8131.html

[Rumor] OnePlus 5 to release with 3600mAh battery and frontfaced fingerprint reader in early June
gizmochina.com/2017/05/04/oneplus-5-release-june-end-full-hd-display-sd-835-6-gb-ram-3600mah-battery/

MrMobile: BlackBerry KEYone Review
youtu.be/HyimfcY6Z-4

BlackBerry KEYone review: A tale of a decent phone full of annoyances
androidpolice.com/2017/05/04/blackberry-keyone-review/

T-Mobile is now selling the LG G6 for just $500
gsmarena.com/tmobile_is_now_selling_the_lg_g6_for_just_500-news-24860.php

Qualcomm to introduce Snapdragon 660 SoC on May 9th?
phonearena.com/news/Qualcomm-to-introduce-Snapdragon-660-SoC-on-May-9th_id93703

Waze adds Mr T to its celebrity navigation voice options
phonearena.com/news/Waze-adds-Mr-T-to-its-celebrity-navigation-voice-options_id93693

Nokia 8: Android flagship to launch in June with Snapdragon 835
theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/3006031/nokia-8-android-flagship-to-launch-in-june-with-snapdragon-835

old

Other urls found in this thread:

zukfans.eu/community/threads/pre-official-7-1-2-aicp-12-1-nougat-for-z2_plus-oms-sdclang.5921/
zukfans.eu/community/threads/official-resurrection-remix-by-mr-hacker5476.5978/
boostmobile.com/#!/shop/phones/apple-iphone-se/features/Silver,32GB/
kickstarter.com/projects/jellyphone/jelly-the-smallest-4g-smartphone
reddit.com/r/Android/comments/696dre/warning_to_all_wileyfox_owners_your_location_data/?st=j2b0c2e7&sh=ff95cfbc
gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a3_(2017)-8336.php
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-huawei-nova-4gb-64gb
teknistore.com/en/64-bit-cpu/1010-huawei-nova-android-smartphone-emui-4-display-5-inch-fhd-ips.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

So just more futureproof? Thanks.

N-Nice case

w-where could i get a case like this to my gf (me)?

N-no...n-n-no.

What's the general consensus here on the LG G6? Does it lag or bootloop?

I was waiting for the OnePlus 5 but $500 seems like a good deal for the G6

I've upgraded my ZUK Z2 to Android 7.0 (Global ROM) but it is kinda laggy now (and the notifications are shit). What is the best ROM I could use on it (the only experience I have with installing ROMs was when I installed Global when I got the ZUK, three or four months ago). I've heard of AICP, but I don't know if it is actually good, neither I know if it is difficult to install.

>months ago)?
Fixed.

Just wanted to say that 5SE with red leather case is pretty comfy

>no band 12

everytime

>yes

REMINDER THAT THE P2 HAS CHRONIC AUDIO SYNCING PROBLEMS WITH VARIOUS STREAMING SERVICES, INCLUDING YOUTUBE.

Lenovo haven't listened to complaints and the issue seems to still be around for some people even after the Nougat update. Just posting because I see it recommended on here all the fucking time.

S8 or G6?

zukfans.eu/community/threads/pre-official-7-1-2-aicp-12-1-nougat-for-z2_plus-oms-sdclang.5921/

or

zukfans.eu/community/threads/official-resurrection-remix-by-mr-hacker5476.5978/

instructions itt.

G6 bootloops, I think.

Is there proof though? People have said "bootloops" towards the G6 since day 1

No, it's too early

S8:
+better screen
+faster processor
-Samsung software bloat
-useless Bixby button
-probable slowdown after X months

G6
+Slightly better software experience (than samsung, still worse than many many other OEMs)
+Cheaper iirc
-potential bootloops like all LG phones
-last year's processor

If I had to choose between the two and price wasn't an issue, I'd probably go with the S8. But you will find much better options if you wait for newer flagships to be released throughout the year, or even consider last year's phones. Pixel has the best software on Android, same specs as the G6 (with potentially better camera) but with the downside of huge bezels. iPhone has large bezels too, but the software is great if you're not planning on ricing. Plus you get software updates for half a decade instead of 1.5 years left with the Pixel (which at 2 years from release is the longest official support you find on Android)

>not the OP3T or OP5

I don't know if I would go for OnePlus considering that the OP2 still doesn't have Nougat. Might be ok if you bought the newest one on release, but after a year they will have moved on to the OP6 and you'll probably be stuck on last year's Android version.

Of course if you use custom ROMs this isn't an issue.

that's because OnePlus got jewed by cyanogenmod

now that they have their own OS, there's a much better chance to receive manufacturer updates

regardless it's not a big deal on this phone since it's a DEVELOPER phone thus it has about 1000 stable ROMs

I see this mentioned a lot, but what is actually the problem with being on an older iteration of Android for one more phone-cycle than everyone else? Genuinely curious.

I'm looking to buy a OP3T, the next time I'll buy a phone after that will probably be 2 to 3 years time, is it an issue if that last of those years is spent on the older Android?

bought an iphone 6 16gb for $75 with a broken scren
did i do good?

Idk if my carrier has them

LOL NO

I can resell it for like $300 when the screen is fixed.

>16gb
>On 2017

Good luck mate.

poo

tmobile is selling the g6 for $500 right now

if my carrier(verizon, i know kill me) were to do that i'd be saving over $300. does that make the g6 a better purchase?

right now i'm probably just going to get last years flagship in a month or so anyway(s7e prob)

I'm not sure who'd be willing to pay $300 for a phone with only 16 gigabytes of storage. That is practically a toy

normies

So there's this android2.2 game that I would love to play but it keeps crashing while loading. Any way to fix this or is it a lost cause? I'm on nougat

You're just missing out on new features. Nougat introduced Doze while moving (saving battery life), splitscreen, and double tapping the recents button to swap to the previous app, for few examples.

You'll still be able to run most apps since they are designed to be compatible with older Android versions since Android is so fragmented. Probably more important than new versions with new features is making sure your phone has up to date security patches so you're not vulnerable to exploits. If the OP2 is anything to go by, by year two you'll stop receiving new Android versions and soon after you'll stop getting security patches. If you learn how to flash a custom ROM you will extend the longevity of your OP3T by getting the latest versions and security patches, at the cost of being dependent on some guy (possibly Indian) compiling the software you use on a daily basis.

If you can get a good deal it might be worth it. However I have seen LG's software in action and I really don't like the look and feel. Not to mention the threat of it bootlooping a year from now, especially at a time when you need it most. I would avoid LG for at least a couple generations until they prove that they have fixed the bootlooping issue. We really won't know if they have solved it with the G6 until its been out for a year or two.

boostmobile.com/#!/shop/phones/apple-iphone-se/features/Silver,32GB/

Just get this famlam crazy sale no contract

i rly dont want an iphone

word that's reasonable. do you think the s8 is worth it over the s7e? right now i have an iphone 5s so anything would be a big upgrade, but i dont want to be a consumer shill and shove out $800 when i don't really need to.

I think I gotta problem

Been through 6 phones in 7 months after buying and selling on swappa

I'm not familiar with this whole Bootloop fiasco of LG's.

Does the V20 also have a high percentage of Bootloop problems? I've been looking into buying on, should I stay away and stick to something like the OP3T instead?

Thanks for the warning, guess I'll go with the redmeme note 4 global (can I run Lineage on it?)

Ay I'm still rocking the 5s too. Do you get the issue where your screen turns dark for few moments and doesn't recognize touch while dark?

it's unlocked

how much money have you lost/made?

>america
>sprint
Does it really matter what smart phone I go for if all I do is
>stream music to my car
>watch youtube before bed
>use it for directions via google maps
>occasionally google random shit
>text and occasionally call people
I just stormed out of a Sprint store because none of the displays had ANY information about the phones other than their names and prices but driving home I realized I don't really want or need much out of my phone. Is it okay to just pick whatever fits my budget and has a nice weight/feel and screen?

Sorry for asking, but what does "flashing" something means?

yeah sometimes

it's been happening more frequently lately. my phone works fine if i charge it during the day, i just want an upgrade before it dies

>the issue seems to still be around for some people even after the Nougat update
Source? All I'm seeing is people saying it got fixed in the Nougat update

If you don't play games on your phone then yeah just pick something with an OS and screen that you like, specs don't matter for your use case

So all of the phones that have come out in the last 4 years have been fairly underwhelming. I would say the most revolutionary feature introduced were fingerprint scanners, waterproofing, and usb-c. Beyond that there isn't much that separates a 2017 flagship from a 2013 flagship.

So what is the next revolutionary feature going to be that will actually want to make me upgrade my phone?

Please don't frogpost

What kind of SOT could I expect from the Moto G5 Plus?

Like 40 bucks

Oh nice. How's its battery and overall specs?

it's the best midrange phone by a mile, its specs outperform the pixel phones

there are a seemingly unlimited number of reviews on it online

kickstarter.com/projects/jellyphone/jelly-the-smallest-4g-smartphone

>Doesn't even name the processor or manufacturer.
>No GPU info.

I'd like to know what the fuck I'm buying, dudes.

Please don't

Please don't shitpost. Retard.

I have no concrete source, but neither do I have an axe to grind with lenovo. I've seen a lot of comments saying that while the issue has been fixed to some degree they are still noticing slight syncing issues with audio. Look at what these Pajeets are saying in the Top comment thread in this video, for example:

>youtube.com/watch?v=RvJFj9YpFnc

The top comment says that he notices that "there is still a minute difference" (minute as in small, not 60s), whilst someone replying later in that same thread of comments mentions that he tries one in store and notices a lag on some videos.

I cannot stand even the smallest fraction of a second of video and audio out of sync, so for me that shit is unforgivable.

Is wileyfox a meme

VR/AR
NFC

Gross pic to start with what are you not gay?

When is it released? I didn't see any date on it

1 month battery life

yeah, a dangerous meme:

WARNING to all Wileyfox owners: your location data and WiFi information is being sold

reddit.com/r/Android/comments/696dre/warning_to_all_wileyfox_owners_your_location_data/?st=j2b0c2e7&sh=ff95cfbc

>inb4 leddit

>leddit

op3t has been out for several months

op5 should be out in a month or so

desu, the op3t is a beast and will be for some time

And if you read that tripe you would have realized that only the Eastern Europeans and Russians have that Yandex Zen installed, and not the western European and UK customers

What has best battery life

Are there any known issues on the S8?

touchwizz

What """compact""" smartphones exist for ~$200. 5.0 in. screen max but preferably 4.7 in. or under. Looks like if I want a true compact that isn't bottom of the barrel shit, I might just have to sell my soul for an extra $60 to the Apple Jew and get the faggot iPhone SE.

gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_a3_(2017)-8336.php

Touchwiz? Explain

Are Xiaomi as good as Samsung?
If so what is the Xiaomi equivalent to the Galaxy J7?

Its a gigantic software problem that Samsung refuses to acknowledge, and has ignored for some time now.
Its actually baffling

Samsung's version of Android is pure cancer
It's fat
It's bloated and unoptimized
It causes phones to slow down after literally 3 months

I see the a3 2017 on the high end of $200 everywhere. I meant $230 tops by ~$200. Too bad the Moto G plus is 5.2 in. because it's exactly that and from what I read is better than the a3.

But it hasn't been 3 months on the S8 yet, so maybe it's fixed

People have literally said the same exact thing since the S4 came out

Lel ok

Google Samsung Tizen
Itll give you a good grasp on how well Samsung can and has done software development. After you read up on it, itll be no surprise that they cant even make an android frontend right (even though every other manufacturer has figured it out)

The vanilla G5 is 5" but a bit bulky.
Huawei Nova is 5" and very thin.
kimovil.com/en/where-to-buy-huawei-nova-4gb-64gb

The 3/32 version is $218
teknistore.com/en/64-bit-cpu/1010-huawei-nova-android-smartphone-emui-4-display-5-inch-fhd-ips.html

Yes
Redmi Note 4 Global

wth do you guys mean when you say "ROMs" for when my old android phone is being slow as shit?

read only memory

You flash a rom that's better than what you have, basically upgrading your internal storage from 32GB to 64

LG G6 reporting. How are you guys liking yours?

ROM availability?
You can always find shit for Samsung.
Is it the same for Xiaomi?

HTC 10

Btw if you are considering this phone it begs to have a case around it...even in the commercials the device looks finicky but it is quite comfy in the likely event you protect it somehow.

so will the keyone be worth it? thinking of getting it after a few months when the price goes down to a reasonable level.

Seems like it might be a decent compromise. I'll definitely give it some consideration.

LG G5 user. I'm due for an upgrade an am considering the G6 cause I've heard its a huge improvement from the G5 which I've had some issues with and made me reluctant to go back to LG and do to s8. Is the LG G6 better and worth going to?

is laggy

What chinkphones have a comparable camera to the Galaxy S6?
Im looking to sidegrade to a chinkphone, but im afraid of my picture quality going down

I've been using an S7 for a full year and there hasn't been any sign of slowing down, battery draining faster or anything like that.

I'm pretty sick of samsung in general and touchwiz is still ugly as fuck but what you're saying is completely untrue in my experience.

Then again, when I got it I immediately installed a package disabler and killed all the bloat and useless bullshit. Maybe that has made a difference.

Anyone here with redmeme note 4 global/4x?
what microsd card type is optimal for this? will get 32 or 64gb for photos, vids music and camera, not planning to root yet to move apps. Can it even take advantage of UHS cards?

>having to use enterprise level app management with KNOX to make the phone usable.

This is the exact problem with touchwiz.
At least they let you download GoodLock to fix some of the issues, but it eats battery itself and doesnt work with N right now.

If you disable the samsung keyboard with package disabler pro, then try to use Ultra Power Savings mode you will softbrick your phone and have to do factory reset.
Package Disabler is pretty powerful