UNIX-based OS

What UNIX-based OS are you using Sup Forums ?
Why ?
Should I fall for the Sup Forumsentoo meme ?

Also, general distro thread

Other urls found in this thread:

sourcemage.org/Spell/Book
sourcemage.org/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mac OS sierra

Irix.

Gentoo

I have a few AIX 7 machines at work I'm trying to migrate off of

macOS

Can't blame you. What are they used for?

i dont, i actually have shit to do

drop a bunch of distro names into a hat, and pick one. they're all the same shit, and you can make all of them become one another.

if you enjoy hours of compiling everything from binary packages, install gentoo. what do you do after that? nothing, it's fucking gentoo, rice it, and pretend like you're a programmer.

if you dont want to waste your time, and just want to dick around, install manjaro, solus, or some other distro this board is currently shilling.

alternatively, you can become a normalfag, install OSX, have your UNIX os, while still being able to accomplish shit and not look like a neckbeard in the process.

>posted from my Windows 10 machine

I usually use GNU or BSD but I plan to use windows when they add unix support

What's wrong with them?

>alternatively, you can become a normalfag, install OSX, have your UNIX os, while still being able to accomplish shit and not look like a neckbeard in the process.
this

windows 7 with msys2

Linux - Network (enventually coding)
Windows - Anything else
OSX - Never

GalliumOS

OS X, OpenBSD, Debian, OpenWRT

No one asked for your desktop, pedophile.

Come on Pedro, look at how this guy got it right ^

Wizards assemble !

Advanced users of GNU/Linux, remember to try Source Mage GNU/Linux. True source-based distribution that can heal broken installs. And (in contrast with Gentoo and Arch) is:

Free from obfuscated and pre-configured code.
Fully committed to GPL, and uses only free software (as in freedom) in their main package.
Even the documentation is licensed as FDL.
Without 3rd party patches, sensible defaults or masked packages.
Doesn't need obfuscated python libraries, only bash.
Uses clean dependencies as they came from upstream developers, which by the same provides instant updates.
Can also use flags.

Do you like Arch Linux's AUR? Do you like Gentoo's portgage? Do you like BSD ports? You haven't seen anything like SMGL's "sorcery". Making new "spells" to install source code not found in the "grimoire" (repository) is as easy as editing files sourcemage.org/Spell/Book

Come and join
sourcemage.org/

I don't use UNIX its proprietary.

Linux is the open source OS.

He said UNIX-based, which Linux is.

No it isn't Linux was written from scratch.

don't bully her

It's both written from scratch and UNIX based.

Why are namefags so retarded ? Gtfo Sup Forums

No not really.
Shit was written from scratch and paired with GNU there isn't really anything unix in it.

I fell for the Void meme and I couldn't be happier.

Linux only follows the original UNIX philosophy with no shared code.

And it follows that philosophy better than any current UNIX.

currently downloading linuxmint

My own (soon)

Not source code, but it was functionally based on UNIX, you fucking autist. Are you really arguing that Linux isn't a UNIX-like OS? It's the prime example of one.

I never said it shared any code.

It quite literally isn't.
GNU stands for GNU is not Unix.

Fucking sperglord unix retard.

>GNU stands for GNU is not Unix
I never said it was UNIX, I said it's UNIX-like.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux
>Linux (pronounced Listeni/ˈlJnəks/ LIN-əks[9][10] or, less frequently, /ˈlaJnəks/ LYN-əks[10][11]) is a Unix-like computer operating system

Niggers were around before whites but I don't go around saying white people are nigger-like. So don't call Linux UNIX-like.

Linux is UNIX-like whether you like it or not, you retarded tripfaggot.

Stop falling for the obvious bait, man.

You're better than this.

With this dumbass you never know if he's baiting or not. He's the village idiot of Sup Forums.

Mac OS uses Darwin, which is based on XNU, not a UNIX derivative.
[spoiler]It even stands for X is Not Unix[/spoiler]

I operate on the assumption that trip = bait.

It's rare this proves incorrect.

OS X literally is UNIX

>It even stands for X is Not Unix
It's meant in the same way as "GNU's Not UNIX".

>mactoddlers think a piece of paper makes osx spaghetti code trash unix overnight with no code changes

>Niggers were around before whites

top kek

That piece of paper is certification that OS X has lived up to testing of compliance with thousands of pages of specifications that the OS needs to live up to. OS X is UNIX. This is not a debate, this is just how it is. Cry about it all you want, it doesn't change anything.

>mactoddlers think a piece of paper makes osx spaghetti code trash unix overnight with no code changes

>the 12 year old thinks spamming the same reply is going to nullify OS X's UNIX cert

fa/g/gots think errors nullify a certification

macOS, and ubuntu and openIndiana (Solaris) on VMs running under Windows.

I try to prefer openIndiana over Linux because Linux is shit. But a lot of things won't compile under anything other than Linux, and Ubuntu is usually the easiest to get things working.

openIndiana is one of the cleanest OSs out there with amazing code quality. If you care about having a well-coded OS, I highly suggest checking it out.

Don't worry. Window's poll is broken too, and they refuse to Gfix it because """compatibility"""

This user. Let autism run around, they'll always be here

OP here. To clarify, I said UNIX-based and was assuming Linux and OSX distros were.

My god that picture is so cringe

How many more years of your life are you going to waste arguing over trivial shit?

AIX and Solaris

Unix-like != UNIX-based you fucking retard
based implies it directly derives from the actual UNIX (trademark) code, which it does not by any stretch of the imagination

It was based on UNIX, just not UNIXs' source code

ITT: angry autistic vir/g/ins eat shit

Meanwhile I'm just using my brilliant Solus...

Unironically kek'd out loud

They were. Also, fish were around before mammals, yet we don't go around saying "mammals are fish-like".

I'm not using any UNIX based OS, I use GNU/Linux which is an UNIX-like OS. I am planning to install FreeBSD on a old computer I have.

Considering systemd, does it even still make any sense to dub Linux as "UNIX-like"? systemd is all BUT "UNIX-like".

They are overpriced shit. PowerHA is a joke.

Whole stack of IBM shittleware - enterprise service bus type services, MQ/ brules etc. Migrating to JBoss/drools etc which is marginally better but much cheaper.

the term you're looking for is "cloned from" or "imitated", just as DOS is not based on CP/M despite being near functionally identical, as another example

it's like saying two homes are built on the same foundation because their foundations are similar, if it doesn't derive from the same code, it's not "based" on it, period

now stop playing pretend hacker and go use GNU's Not Unix with the rest of the sane world

as long as the end user experience remains similar enough that you can practically interchange the two platforms with minimal bullshit it will always be deserving of being called "UNIX-like" regardless of whether it agrees with a philosophy tacked on to it under the hood that was shit all over long ago anyway

linux boi. Daily driver is Arch. It's kinda memey but no real complaints, AUR is convenient and comes in handy for some more niche programs. Other laptops trying Ubuntu minimal and Debian stretch. No complaints about ubuntu but might as well just go with debian. Everything I run for more than a week runs well on old hardware.

I'm currently running OpenSuSE LEAP on a Thinkpad T410 and antiX 16 on a Latitude E4300.

OpenSuSE because I wanted something that worked well out of the box that wasn't Ubuntu or Fedora or a derivative of another distro. So far I'm actually really liking KDE, surprisingly.

antiX because it's Debian-based, lightweight af (

>a kernel that's not unix means the whole os is not unix
I use something that's after Unix. better than Unix

no

Try Solus.

I also miss Kevin.

Fuck off kevin

Is GNU/systemd "Linux-like"?

>Kuroneko
Great taste.

>literally conformant to the Single Unix Specification
>not Unix-like

Gentoo is actually rather nice, if you "freeze" it. What I mean is, install it, fix/tweak things, install everything that are going to use, then stop using emerge/ portage. Never update. No updates, no time wasted fixing stuff that will break. Then, six months to a year later, do a fresh install.

That sounds fucking dumb

ubuntu MATE on my desktop
macos sierra on my laptop

best of both worlds

Daily reminder that GNU/Linux distributions are NOT UNIX systems.

Boy I'm not Kevin.
Protect her.

I wonder if anyone actually uses this unironically. I think some people actually like gentoo, but I've never gotten any legitimate comments on other source based distros, barring the occasional funtoo and slackware mentions.

There are only two UNIX certified Linux distros

Some are.

I'd said conformant. Certification means shit.

I was being dead serious.
UNIX is proprietary and its offensive to liken anything in GNU to it.

UNIX != Unix
UNIX is a brand and a spec, Unix is an OS.

debian / gentoo / / any bsd

>implying some white people can't be niggers

android :^)

MacOs Sierra

Linux isn't an operating system. It's a part of an operating system; a kernel.

Actually yes, they do, or otherwise render it irrelevant.

>android
It's just Linux.

>this whole thread
Sup Forums is full of computer illiterates
breddy sad

>Compiling everything from binary packages
Looks like someone doesn't know what they're talking about.

It's both the kernel and an operating system.

same as the people on Sup Forums, that don't play vidya

>Unix is an OS

Where is this OS called "Unix" you talk about?

I tried to install it in a chroot environment, which was pretty easy, but when I tried to cast linux-firmware, none of the mirrors had the tarball available which means I wouldn't be able to connect to my wireless network, making the whole install pretty useless. Is there a way that I can fixt this while still in the chroot environment?

The certification is what proves it conforms to the standard.

Linux is an operating system.

Tried Ubuntu, then Debian, then Mint, then Ubuntu and finally Arch. Arch is a huge relief from apt-get.

It's dead Jimmy

Also
>Unix family tree, showing that OS X is Unix-like
Keep crying fa/g/gots

I guess some can't even into Wikipedia based user